HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you deal with a really bad linemate?

Old
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Rickety Cricket

vCash: 500
I'm not sure, you should ask my linemates.

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:39 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Speaking as someone with very little experience, I'd hate that feeling of being the guy that drags people's sense of fun down because of my lack of skill. But, I do appreciate any help and advice I can get. I'd probably go that route. If the guy you speak of isn't willing to listen to your advice, then I'm not sure what to tell you.
You or any new unskilled Player have nothing to apologize for as long as your playing in the apporiate division. As long as u play hard other teammates who get frustrated should stop being babies and move up a division if it bothers them that bad.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Speaking as someone with very little experience, I'd hate that feeling of being the guy that drags people's sense of fun down because of my lack of skill. But, I do appreciate any help and advice I can get. I'd probably go that route. If the guy you speak of isn't willing to listen to your advice, then I'm not sure what to tell you.
My first season, there was this guy on my team...he was always drifting, and time and time again he was lectured on where to play, because he'd go chasing the puck from the right wing to the left defensive position at the opposite end of the ice, and where does it end up? Going around the boards to where the right winger is supposed to be. I'd be at center, and left out on an island, because I knew this guy would not cover my position if I covered his, so the defensemen had all the time and space in the world, fortunately they don't usually take slapshots at that level, or I'd have been in a world of hurt. He never improved from that aspect, and though he did score a few goals, he had to have finished about a -30 or worse in that 10 game season, where all the teams are essentially even.

He never passed the puck in the offensive zone or on the attack. Or for that matter, changed when he was supposed to, so he'd take 3-4 minute shifts and screw up the line combinations, even if he was being yelled at from the coach to get back to the bench. He didn't learn a thing that entire season. Being stuck on the ice with him, or even watching from the bench, there has been no more frustrating experience than that in my hockey playing days.

My advice is, you don't have to have skill, but don't be brain dead. Just cover your zone defensively and aware of your positioning. It's far less frustrating having a player in the right position but not being able to make a play, rather than a player who did not make a play because he or she was not in the right position.

If you are the worst player in the offensive zone, hover around the net and let the skill guys work around the outside, just tap in loose pucks...the leading scorers on my beginner level teams have not always been the most skilled players, but the ones who are always ready for rebounds around the net. If you are in a lower, more developmental league though, do carry the puck and shoot it as much as possible.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 06-04-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:41 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
You or any new unskilled Player have nothing to apologize for as long as your playing in the apporiate division. As long as u play hard other teammates who get frustrated should stop being babies and move up a division if it bothers them that bad.
That's a good point as well as the other information in this thread. Not only is it up to you to do your best and learn when it's time to say something or change teams but it should also be on the beginner players to start out in the lowest possible league. Start in the lowest and work your way up like I did and most other people have as building hockey skills takes a lot of time and practice. It's all about repitition and if you are new to the game and playing in an intermediate league you risk the chance of stunting your growth by becoming a liabilty and rarely contributing to the team. If the only thing you can do is hot potato the puck forward when it comes to you because the game is moving too fast and the players are better than you then MOVE DOWN! It shouldn't be just up to the better players to tell you you're not good enough, be a man about it and realize your skillset and do something about it. It seems simple but players playing in the wrong division plagues rec league hockey.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote