HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

June 2nd mock draft

Old
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Habsrule

vCash: 500
June 2nd mock draft

I went a little off the board with some picks and had a few guys slipped. I hope that this is somewhat legit. Please post your comments and will try to defend myself with my picks.

1-EDM-Taylor Hall
I compare this years top two to the top two forwards from last year. Hall=Tavares and Seguin=Duchene. Duchene may have had a bit better of a rookie year but I would still pick Tavares over him today. I feel that Taylor hall is the best player in the draft.

2-BOS-Tyler Seguin
This is really a no brainer. I bet that Brian Burke wishes that he could have a do over in his Phil Kessel trade. By the way, Seguin will be better than Kessel. He just has a great all round game.

3-FLO-Cam Fowler
I know that Gudbranson and Gormley have been sneaking up on Fowler but I still feel as if Fowler is the best of the bunch.

4-CLB-Erik Gudbranson
I would have to assume that the Blue Jackets are taking a D here unless they have a forward in mind that they just love. I like the upside to Gudbranson to that of Gormley so they take the best player.

5-NYI-Jeff Skinner
The first pick off the board a bit. I live in Kitchener and have seen him play numerous times and I am convinced. I feel as if he would be better suited as a winger though even though that is not what he wants. Islanders would be a good fit as Tavares would be checked by opposing teams top line and Skinner will play second line.

6-TB-Brandon Gormley
Lightning were assuming that their was a concencus top five in the draft and they had the unfortunate spot of sixth overall. Well luck was on their side and they pick the best player available.

7-CAR-Mark Pysyk
Pysyk played on probably the worst team in the entire CHL. He still managed to have a good season as well. He will not be a huge point producer or a strictly shut down defenceman. He will just have a great all round game and will log big minutes and those are the players who you win with.

8-ATL-Brett Connolly
The Thrashers were proactive and traded Kovalchuk at the deadline instead of losing him as a UFA. Well now is their chance to replace him with a big boy who can score goals. He has a lot of question marks but you can not deny his potential.

9-MIN-Nino Niederreiter
Very fast complete hockey player. The World Juniors sold him on a lot of teams and the Wild are just happy that he is still on the board at nine.

10-NYR-Vladmir Tarasenko
The Rangers are on team that is not afraid of Russians. Tarasenko is the best player available and could be considered a steal at ten.

11-DAL-Jack Campbell
Campbell goes a little early here but the Stars do not have a great goalie in the system and it fills their biggest need. Plus he is a potential franchise goalie and they have to replace Turco sooner than later.

12-ANA-Nick Bjugstad
Call it a hunch. The Ducks like their forwards big, skilled and powerful. Well he fits the bill and will be a bit of a project.

13-PHX-Alexander Burmistrov
He should have been picked higher than this but the whole being Russian factors in a little bit. It does help that he is playing in the OHL but it still makes him slide a bit. Could be a steal at thirteen.

14-STL-Derek Forbert
What does a team do when they are loaded up with great youth at every position? Draft the best player available. Forbert is a potential top ten pick and has slid just a little bit. Forbert has the size to be a real impact player in the NHL.

15-BOS-Ryan Johansen
This is probably my biggest player to slip down. I think that he is a great player but I am just not one hundred percent sold on him. I think that he will be more of a bigger second line centre in the NHL. The Bruins have probably won this draft with getting Seguin and Johansen.

16-OTT-Mikael Granlund
This just shows how deep this draft really is. Granlund is a potential top ten pick and could very well slip this far. Sens drafted Cowen and Karlsson the last two years so I would assume they would be looking at a forward here.

17-COL-Calle Jarnkrok
How often do you see a Swede not crack the top ten? The Swedes may have a bit of an off year but he is the best that they have. I can see him rising come draft day and some team may think a little more highly than other about him.

18-NAS-Emerson Etem
He has great skating but is very raw yet. The Preds always seem to take best player available and they do not need another defenceman so the opt for the best potential forward left on the board.

19-LA-John McFarland
The Kings are a bit unpredictable when it comes to drafting. When they like a guy, they draft him. Kyle Clifford and Thomas Hickey are good examples. If this draft was last year or maybe even the year before John McFarland was a sure fire top ten pick. He could either come back and be that great player or another Angelo Esposito.

20-PIT-Kirill Kabanov
The rich just keep on getting richer. Yes he has a lot of question marks but to get the chance to play on a team that has Sidney Crosby or fellow countryman Evgeny Malkin may be very hard to pass up.

21-DET-Jon Merrill
He may be considered a bit of a project but the Wings never seem to rush their prospects to the NHL. He has a lot of untapped potential and could very well be a great minute munching defenceman in the NHL. He has great size already.

22-PHX-Tyler Toffoli
With the seasons that Turris, Boedker and Tikhonov have had they may be looking to add some offense. For some reason all three of those guys have came to a standstill in their development. Toffoli is a great offensive threat.

23-BUF-Austin Watson
I will be honest and I know that he will go higher than this but I am just not sold on him yet. He really turned it around after getting traded from the Spits. I think he will be a dependable two way bigger body player in the NHL.

24-ATL-Dylan McIlrath
How about a Boris Valabik do-over? He is the best fighter in this draft and he still has some skill. He had 24 points in 65 games in the WHL. Every team wants to draft him, it is just a matter of who the first one to jump at him is.

25-VAN-Brad Ross
Enforcers don’t serve as much purpose as super pests do. Brad Ross had 68 points in 71 games in the WHL which are great numbers but what is even more impressing is his 203 penalty minutes. He would be the ultimate third line grinder/shift disturber kind of player.

26-WAS-Riley Sheahan
He may very well be the best defensive forward in the draft. His offensive game has not picked up yet but he is one of the youngest players in the draft and will have a much more prominent role on Notre Dame next year.

27-MON-Calvin Pickard
Yes I know that the Habs have two good young goalies and Desjardins played great in the AHL this year but most goalies don’t hit their stride until the are mid twenties. That is seven years away and a lot can change in that amount of time.

28-SJ-Evgeny Kuznetsov
When he is at the top of his game he could push to be a top ten pick in the draft. Only problem other than being Russian is that he is not very consistant. Sharks could get a real steal here if he turns out to being the player that he is capable of being.

29-ANA-Jaden Schwarz
The new NHL lets the smaller skilled guys prevail and the is exactly what Schwarz is. Almost every NHL team now has at least one player who is under six feet and two hundred pounds and they still play in a good role for their team.

30-CHI-Jarrod Tinordi
He is a big hulking defenceman who will be more of just a shut down guy when he reaches the NHL. A thing that the Hawks may like is that players like that really help teams win and do not cost a lot of money. The Hawks have the offense on the back end and Tinordi will be a great complimentary player.

Habsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Jarnkrok at 17? Different, but I don't mind it too much. Might be a bit of a reach though.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Habsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Jarnkrok at 17? Different, but I don't mind it too much. Might be a bit of a reach though.
I just have a feeling that he will rise some come draft day. Maybe not quite as high as #17 but I see him going in the first round for sure.

Old
06-03-2010, 12:21 AM
legion681*

I honestly don't see the Bruins pick another center with their #15, after having gotten Seguin and knowing we have an abundance of centers.

My feelings is that they will get either a dman or maybe some gifted scorer, say Etem?

legion681* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Rickety Cricket

I highly, highly doubt the Sharks will draft a Russian.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

No way the Habs take a goaltender in the first round if his name isn't Campbell.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Habsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion681 View Post
I honestly don't see the Bruins pick another center with their #15, after having gotten Seguin and knowing we have an abundance of centers.

My feelings is that they will get either a dman or maybe some gifted scorer, say Etem?
I see your point and it is very true and valid. I just had Johansen slipping in my mock. I think he will be gone by the Bruins pick but I just chose the best player available and I do not think their is a defenceman who was left that was as good of a prospect. You make a good call on Etem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I highly, highly doubt the Sharks will draft a Russian.
You may be right but Kuznetsov has a great skill set and he would be a real steal at #28. The Russian factor really comes into effect on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
No way the Habs take a goaltender in the first round if his name isn't Campbell.
I could see it happening. You have to figure that Halak is 24 and Price is 22. Cedric Desjardins had a fantastic year in the AHL but I am not a hundred percent sold on him. Only other goalie prospect they have is Robert Meyer and he is not a NHL starter if you as me. Most goalies only hit their stride when they are mid twenties. I will say 25 years old. When Pickard is 25 years old Halak will be 31 and Price 29. That is about seven years from now. A lot can change.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
You may be right but Kuznetsov has a great skill set and he would be a real steal at #28. The Russian factor really comes into effect on him.
I believe it was '96 when the Sharks last drafted a Russian...

I could be wrong.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Kearns
Bo Knows Hockey

I think you need to find a spot for Quinton Howden in the first round. I sure hope that the Canucks don't let him slip past for Ross, though Ross is a nice prospect in his own right. I think Howden'll be gone before #25, and probably before #20.

Last edited by Kearns: 06-03-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:58 AM
wej20

If Watson is still on the board when the Pens pick I'll be very disappointed if they don't pick him.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:25 AM
ttam103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post

25-VAN-Brad Ross
Enforcers don’t serve as much purpose as super pests do. Brad Ross had 68 points in 71 games in the WHL which are great numbers but what is even more impressing is his 203 penalty minutes. He would be the ultimate third line grinder/shift disturber kind of player.
I think we have more pressing needs on defence, especially since tinordi is still available.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Johnstarks

I like the mock, thanks for posting it.

I can see the habs pick a goalie at 27, specially someone like Pickard. You guys should remember 2005 when Price was drafted. Everyones jaw hit the ground as soon as they pronounced his name... mine did lol I was like WTH why not Brule! and I was so mad... turns out it was a great pick and we had a Hart trophee winner in Jose Theodore, we didn't need another goalie!... turns out we did...

Oh and remember Jim Carey lol? Goalies can turn their careers around in a flash!

Johnstarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:35 AM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion681 View Post

If Johanssen is available at 15th he's the bpa and no team pass on better talent for needs.

reffree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
17Kurri

I'd switch Johansen and Skinner, for starters. Skinner's risen considerably, but I don't see him in the top 10. On the flip side, can't see Johansen falling out of the top 10.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
monkeyscratch

I honestly think that taking Jack Cambell at 11 is a bit of a reach. He's good but I think the Stars need to adress their defense first. Plus they have a good young goltender in Kari Lethonen.

monkeyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
JeffYear92*

skinner at 5?
woah

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:12 AM
North Metro Peewees

Good job, you know your 2010 draft. My only disagreement would be with Dallas taking Campbell. If I was betting I would say the Stars take Forbert and the Blues take Campbell.

I love the Wild getting El Nino!

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Canes won't take a defenseman at #7 if one of the Big 3 doesn't fall to them. Only real chance they would have of drafting a defenseman if the Big 3 are off the board is if they traded down, and I'd say with 99% certainty that it's going to be drafting a forward over trading down.

FWIW it sounds like they're high on Johansen and higher on Tarasenko then most would expect.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote