HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bad rinks in the summer

Old
06-04-2010, 04:54 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Bad rinks in the summer

The rink I am playing at this summer, it's a good facility, but the ice is terrible.

The ice has been on the decline for a while. The rink has a ton of traffic from the high school, kids, and adult leagues. Not including all the public traffic there.

At any rate, the rink very badly needs to be repainted, because the ice has been so bad. For some reason, the rink management won't melt the ice down, re-paint it, and then address the ice.

I didn't want to play there initially(especially in the summer time), and the winter isn't a whole lot better, but managable. I play as a defenseman. But the team I want to play on, decided they wanted to play there, so I didn't have much choice.

My concern is that a couple of weeks ago, when I was last there, the ice around the boards looked very dangerous. You know where the main ice surface is higher and not flush with the boards, and where it looked like a gap was starting to form between the ice layer, and the boards.

Now, I understand I have filed a waiver with the league, so I cannot sue them if I get hurt playing. I'm not a vindictive person and I cherish the opportunity to play hockey. But this is another one of those things where profits are being put first over safety.

Hypothetically, if someone was to get hurt what action would you take? Could an OSHA report be filed? What kind of complaint could you file with USA hockey? Maybe a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

I hope nothing comes of it this summer, and most likely it will not. But if I do get hurt because of bad ice conditions, I am going to be very upset.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Razzmatazz

Down in the Tampa Bay area is this rink my brother had a few games at during his mite-peewee days that is near the St. Petersburg airport just off the Howard-Franklin called Sunblades.

I swear, this place was at one time the dungeon in a Spanish fort that hasn't been refurbished since the 16th century. The lighting is like that of an old bowling alley, lit in some spots entirely by neon beer signs; it's so dark in there that the ice never has anything brighter than a dull brown sheen to it, adding to the sheer creepiness of the place. The zamboni has this creepy old driver who yells at kids who are anxious to get out onto the ice, but his machine actually cleans about 10% of the ice it covers, and the ice has a surface that looks like that of a glacier and likely ruins your blades pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure the roof has asbestos insulation which is slowly snowing down during the course of the game, and it sags in places; the fact that it hasn't collapsed is somewhat of a miracle.

If you want to film a documentary on the impact of global warming, the evidence at this place is overwhelming. While you approach the zamboni door on the outside of the rink, the ice becomes slush, and there is a pond in the far corner. Part of the reason may be that they park the zamboni outside, so plenty of that hot humid Florida air is seeping in all of the time. An interesting consequence is the mistiness that rivals the London Fog. The locker rooms themselves remind me of a mausoleum, the one lightbulb hanging from the ceiling didn't completely scare off the creeping shadows of that place, which are always lurking, ready to pounce, when that light is turned off, those rooms are blacker than a coalmine.

Oh, and we were there in March.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
10 ft. pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
The rink I am playing at this summer, it's a good facility, but the ice is terrible.

The ice has been on the decline for a while. The rink has a ton of traffic from the high school, kids, and adult leagues. Not including all the public traffic there.

At any rate, the rink very badly needs to be repainted, because the ice has been so bad. For some reason, the rink management won't melt the ice down, re-paint it, and then address the ice.

I didn't want to play there initially(especially in the summer time), and the winter isn't a whole lot better, but managable. I play as a defenseman. But the team I want to play on, decided they wanted to play there, so I didn't have much choice.

My concern is that a couple of weeks ago, when I was last there, the ice around the boards looked very dangerous. You know where the main ice surface is higher and not flush with the boards, and where it looked like a gap was starting to form between the ice layer, and the boards.

Now, I understand I have filed a waiver with the league, so I cannot sue them if I get hurt playing. I'm not a vindictive person and I cherish the opportunity to play hockey. But this is another one of those things where profits are being put first over safety.

Hypothetically, if someone was to get hurt what action would you take? Could an OSHA report be filed? What kind of complaint could you file with USA hockey? Maybe a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

I hope nothing comes of it this summer, and most likely it will not. But if I do get hurt because of bad ice conditions, I am going to be very upset.
If they are being negligent and it is deemed unsafe then yes you have a case. There is no such thing as play at your own risk if they are not doing there part to maintain a safe place for their business to operate.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
if you can prove that the injury was directly because of the rink operators neglect then the waver means nothing.

If you get ridden into the boards and brake an arm that falls under the waver. If your skate gets stuck in a gap in the boards or between the Ice and the boards and you brake your leg then the waver means little.

Proving neglect at an ice rink is very hard at best.
Use your best judgment in protecting your safety.
Going into court for any issue can be a daunting and expensive task.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
Down in the Tampa Bay area is this rink my brother had a few games at during his mite-peewee days that is near the St. Petersburg airport just off the Howard-Franklin called Sunblades.

I swear, this place was at one time the dungeon in a Spanish fort that hasn't been refurbished since the 16th century. The lighting is like that of an old bowling alley, lit in some spots entirely by neon beer signs; it's so dark in there that the ice never has anything brighter than a dull brown sheen to it, adding to the sheer creepiness of the place. The zamboni has this creepy old driver who yells at kids who are anxious to get out onto the ice, but his machine actually cleans about 10% of the ice it covers, and the ice has a surface that looks like that of a glacier and likely ruins your blades pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure the roof has asbestos insulation which is slowly snowing down during the course of the game, and it sags in places; the fact that it hasn't collapsed is somewhat of a miracle.

If you want to film a documentary on the impact of global warming, the evidence at this place is overwhelming. While you approach the zamboni door on the outside of the rink, the ice becomes slush, and there is a pond in the far corner. Part of the reason may be that they park the zamboni outside, so plenty of that hot humid Florida air is seeping in all of the time. An interesting consequence is the mistiness that rivals the London Fog. The locker rooms themselves remind me of a mausoleum, the one lightbulb hanging from the ceiling didn't completely scare off the creeping shadows of that place, which are always lurking, ready to pounce, when that light is turned off, those rooms are blacker than a coalmine.

I played there once. Worst place I have ever played at in Florida. It was like a steam bath on the ice and the ice was all kinds of messed up.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Razzmatazz

Brandon pisses me off, because they don't have any pickups anymore...I've also played at Ellenton and RDV in Orlando, both were really nice facilities, if you've ever been to those, the only problem is Ellenton is the next best option after Brandon for me when I'm home from school, but that's a good 45 minutes away

How close is the next nearest rink, Brent? If there is a better option at least within 20 miles, I'd look into it. Sometimes the more out of the way places are cheaper.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:30 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:

Good read. I just kept picturing a hockey game played at Medieval times.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
Good read. I just kept picturing a hockey game played at Medieval times.
I swear on the Bible, there is no exaggeration in that analysis of the place, it's far worse than my description.

Old
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brandon pisses me off, because they don't have any pickups anymore...I've also played at Ellenton and RDV in Orlando, both were really nice facilities, if you've ever been to those, the only problem is Ellenton is the next best option after Brandon for me when I'm home from school, but that's a good 45 minutes away

How close is the next nearest rink, Brent? If there is a better option at least within 20 miles, I'd look into it. Sometimes the more out of the way places are cheaper.
Yeah, Ellenton is a great rink, but it is a good 45-50 minutes away from me, too. I used to play there pretty often but they changed the schedules around and I ended up making the drive to find an empty sheet of ice a few times. The gas needed isn't worth the risk of finding no one there. TBSA in Oldsmar is where I play, now. It's pretty good. There's usually a good turnout for pick-up.

Old
06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I played there once. Worst place I have ever played at in Florida. It was like a steam bath on the ice and the ice was all kinds of messed up.
Did they rename it, and possibly completely renovate it? The Clearwater Ice Arena is in the same spot and looks like it from the air on Maps, and the angled parking lot rings a bell, but any pics I could get of the inside didn't look at all like the dump I visited that one time.

If things have gone 180 there, nevermind, but if still looks like the back alley of a seedy strip joint on the inside, I would like to add my review to it for those who look it up online.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:50 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Did they rename it, and possibly completely renovate it? The Clearwater Ice Arena is in the same spot and looks like it from the air on Maps, and the angled parking lot rings a bell, but any pics I could get of the inside didn't look at all like the dump I visited that one time.

If things have gone 180 there, nevermind, but if still looks like the back alley of a seedy strip joint on the inside, I would like to add my review to it for those who look it up online.
The last time I played there was well over a year ago, so it's possible they renovated it. When I was there it was pretty bad. Maybe it was just an extremely humid night, but the ice was terrible. The ice wasn't even along the boards and it just seemed chunky in places. It just did not seem like a quality place, to me. It has been a while since I was last there, though, so it's possible it has been fixed up.

Last edited by StrangeVision: 06-05-2010 at 11:59 PM.