HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1998 Expansion Draft ( A look back )

Old
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

vCash: 500
1998 Expansion Draft ( A look back )

Found this old link to who was available to build the foundation of our team. Some interesting names on that list for sure. Poile did a great job IMO, but if you had it to do all over again, knowing what you know now....any changes????
http://www.hockeynut.com/9899/exp98protect.html

Here is some info on what we did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NHL_Expansion_Draft

Last edited by hipcheck85: 06-04-2010 at 03:44 PM.
hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:15 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I don't know who said it but a GM congratulated Poile in the draft and then told him you will be going somewhere when you get rid of these guys

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

I think the compensation Poile got from NOT drafting guys ( six of our roster players ) coupled with the Richter and Krupp being picked knowing what compensatory picks he would get when they signed elsewhere as free agents was shrewd. I really wish we would have seen Iafrate pull on a Preds sweater though!!

Old
06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Holy crap check out this usenet thread from the pre-draft. @nd post is from Dirk Hoag!!! GOLD!!!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...d46758efa694fe

Old
06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Soo Brett Hull was available????

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
Holy crap check out this usenet thread from the pre-draft. @nd post is from Dirk Hoag!!! GOLD!!!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...d46758efa694fe
Now now, that is not nice. Trust me we ALL have posts we have regretted.

I just keep making mine.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Soo Brett Hull was available????
I believe he was a UFA that summer...

Maybe a younger less-established Adrian Aucoin over Scott Walker? Did we get anything from Vancouver in exchange for taking Walker and staying away from someone else?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:50 PM
dulzhok

It was a good expansion draft, yielding (with deals) Brunette, Timonen, Dunham, Walker, Vokoun. We got a bunch of 2nd rd compensatory picks, but the best of the bunch is Hall and Hutchison.

Unfortunately, it may have been better for if didn't go as good Guys like Bordeleau, Dunham, Walker, Vokoun, [Trotz], etc helped us from not being the worst team in the league our first 4 years. This meant we were picking in the 6,6,6,7,11 the first 5 years, missing out on guys like Nash, Sedin, Gaborik, Ovechkin, K-Chuk, etc.

Not that i think we should have intentionally sucked, but from a team building standpoint, it would've helped.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:20 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It was a good expansion draft, yielding (with deals) Brunette, Timonen, Dunham, Walker, Vokoun. We got a bunch of 2nd rd compensatory picks, but the best of the bunch is Hall and Hutchison.

Unfortunately, it may have been better for if didn't go as good Guys like Bordeleau, Dunham, Walker, Vokoun, [Trotz], etc helped us from not being the worst team in the league our first 4 years. This meant we were picking in the 6,6,6,7,11 the first 5 years, missing out on guys like Nash, Sedin, Gaborik, Ovechkin, K-Chuk, etc.

Not that i think we should have intentionally sucked, but from a team building standpoint, it would've helped.
I have often thought the same thing, that it hurt us not to have sucked so badly that we got a really high pick, but in reality I think we are better off. We would have most likely been just like the Thrashers and have lost Heatley and Kovalchuk or else locked up so much money in keeping one of them that we would never have had a supporting cast.

Ovechkin is the only one of all those players that I think would have been a franchise changer. The others would have helped but probably not enough

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:56 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I have often thought the same thing, that it hurt us not to have sucked so badly that we got a really high pick, but in reality I think we are better off. We would have most likely been just like the Thrashers and have lost Heatley and Kovalchuk or else locked up so much money in keeping one of them that we would never have had a supporting cast.

Ovechkin is the only one of all those players that I think would have been a franchise changer. The others would have helped but probably not enough
I think it would have helped. First from an attedance standpoint. We were at 99% capacity the first two years in attendance. Yes, part of it was the honey moon was over, but also part of it was the casual fans had nothing to get excited over. Our most exciting player was Cliff Ronning. If we had Nash or Kovalchuk, I think things would've played out differently. The fan base would've had someone to rally around (bringing in more $$), and we also would've had someone to score some goals consistently. We didn't have a 30 goal scorer until our 7th year in existence. I think having a 40 or 50 goal scorer would've had a big impact (we still need it).

All pure speculation, but I think things would be different.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I think it would have helped. First from an attedance standpoint. We were at 99% capacity the first two years in attendance. Yes, part of it was the honey moon was over, but also part of it was the casual fans had nothing to get excited over. Our most exciting player was Cliff Ronning. If we had Nash or Kovalchuk, I think things would've played out differently. The fan base would've had someone to rally around (bringing in more $$), and we also would've had someone to score some goals consistently. We didn't have a 30 goal scorer until our 7th year in existence. I think having a 40 or 50 goal scorer would've had a big impact (we still need it).

All pure speculation, but I think things would be different.
I think you are corect that the fan base in the early years would have remained a bit more robust due to the superstar but I also believe that subsequently losing that superstar would have been even more devastating here than it has been in Atlanta.

plus you gotta remember Trotz would have made Kovalchuk a 2-way defensively responsible forward

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
deanwormer

Ovechkin woulda' been a franchise changer, Kovalchuk coulda' generated some fan excitement. Anyone else - including Nash - wouldn't have been good enough to get folks excited with the guys we'd have had around them

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote