HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help Me Buy Some Skates!

Old
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Help Me Buy Some Skates!

Hey guys, so it's time for some new skates. Despite being an experienced hockey player who played in college, I have never paid too much attention to equipment in general. I think it's because I always figured that my game would be the same regardless of the equipment, and a $150 pair of skates was just as good as a $400 pair of skates. This may or may not be true, but it's time for a new pair no matter what.

I currently am using Bauer Supreme 6000's (don't laugh), and God only knows how old they are. I bought them used probably like 7 years ago. I don't know if it's the skate or not, but it often feels as if my foot is slipping out from under me when making a sharp turn, as if I have no bite. This happens no matter what, even if the blade is sharp.

So, what recommendations can you guys give me? I want a skate that has a good turning radius (not sure if different skates are better with this, so please forgive my ignorance) and a skate that I can really make a good power turn on, without my skate coming out a little bit from under me.

I'd prefer not to spend more than $300 if possible, and used skates are definitely acceptable, even prefered since they seem easier to break in. Any help you guys could provide me would be very appreciated. Thanks!

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Hey guys, so it's time for some new skates. Despite being an experienced hockey player who played in college, I have never paid too much attention to equipment in general. I think it's because I always figured that my game would be the same regardless of the equipment, and a $150 pair of skates was just as good as a $400 pair of skates. This may or may not be true, but it's time for a new pair no matter what.

I currently am using Bauer Supreme 6000's (don't laugh), and God only knows how old they are. I bought them used probably like 7 years ago. I don't know if it's the skate or not, but it often feels as if my foot is slipping out from under me when making a sharp turn, as if I have no bite. This happens no matter what, even if the blade is sharp.

So, what recommendations can you guys give me? I want a skate that has a good turning radius (not sure if different skates are better with this, so please forgive my ignorance) and a skate that I can really make a good power turn on, without my skate coming out a little bit from under me.

I'd prefer not to spend more than $300 if possible, and used skates are definitely acceptable, even prefered since they seem easier to break in. Any help you guys could provide me would be very appreciated. Thanks!
what is the size and shape of your foot and what is your price range? you are really better off going and trying on some skates in your price range to see what fits you best. I skate on 3 year old Bauer vapor XXX (30) that I lucked into for cheep. I also have some vapor XXXX that I bought at the leafs equipment sale in Dec. But I don't really like them.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
what is the size and shape of your foot and what is your price range? you are really better off going and trying on some skates in your price range to see what fits you best. I skate on 3 year old Bauer vapor XXX (30) that I lucked into for cheep. I also have some vapor XXXX that I bought at the leafs equipment sale in Dec. But I don't really like them.
Well like I said, I'd prefer not to spend upwards of $300. As for size, I am a size 9.5 or 10 shoe, so I believe I would be like a size 8.5 or 8 in skates, maybe even smaller? As for foot size, I guess I would be "normal" in the sense that it's not wide, nor is it particularly narrow. Thanks for any help.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Well like I said, I'd prefer not to spend upwards of $300. As for size, I am a size 9.5 or 10 shoe, so I believe I would be like a size 8.5 or 8 in skates, maybe even smaller? As for foot size, I guess I would be "normal" in the sense that it's not wide, nor is it particularly narrow. Thanks for any help.

I am the same shoe size as you (even describe myself as a 9.5 or 10) and have a size 8 pair of Vapor XXXXs that I've been looking to get rid of. Whether you'd be interested in those or not, I was going to recommend Vapors for what you're looking for anyways. Vapors are built for speed and agility and tight turning, and the high end models like the XXXX (or whatever was equivalent for the year) have the stiffest boot. You said you bought your 6000s about 7 years ago used. The reason that your foot is slipping is because those skates are so broken in by now that they've probably lost most of their stiffness. As a result, your foots going to slip on something like a tight turn because the boot doesn't have the stiffness to support that kind of pressure anymore. I played college as well and I'm almost positive this is your problem, based on the age of your skate.

All you need is something stiff that's going to stay completely solid while you're turning. It doesn't really matter if the skate is "made" for agility or not because even if it's more of a "power skating" boot (one95 vs Vapor, for example) it's still going to be stiffer than what you're wearing and give you the support you need to make your turns without slipping. If you're interested in the XXXXs I have (about 2 years old with plenty of steel and life left) shoot me a PM or something. If not just look for decent high end skates at closeout prices. Since Nike separated with Bauer, all of the old Nike Bauer skates are discounted this summer (especially now that the X:60 and TotalOne are out) but I haven't seen the Vapor XXXXs anywhere online, just the One95s (which I plan on getting soon).

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I am the same shoe size as you (even describe myself as a 9.5 or 10) and have a size 8 pair of Vapor XXXXs that I've been looking to get rid of. Whether you'd be interested in those or not, I was going to recommend Vapors for what you're looking for anyways. Vapors are built for speed and agility and tight turning, and the high end models like the XXXX (or whatever was equivalent for the year) have the stiffest boot. You said you bought your 6000s about 7 years ago used. The reason that your foot is slipping is because those skates are so broken in by now that they've probably lost most of their stiffness. As a result, your foots going to slip on something like a tight turn because the boot doesn't have the stiffness to support that kind of pressure anymore. I played college as well and I'm almost positive this is your problem, based on the age of your skate.

All you need is something stiff that's going to stay completely solid while you're turning. It doesn't really matter if the skate is "made" for agility or not because even if it's more of a "power skating" boot (one95 vs Vapor, for example) it's still going to be stiffer than what you're wearing and give you the support you need to make your turns without slipping. If you're interested in the XXXXs I have (about 2 years old with plenty of steel and life left) shoot me a PM or something. If not just look for decent high end skates at closeout prices. Since Nike separated with Bauer, all of the old Nike Bauer skates are discounted this summer (especially now that the X:60 and TotalOne are out) but I haven't seen the Vapor XXXXs anywhere online, just the One95s (which I plan on getting soon).
Thanks a lot for the reply, you definitely answered a lot of my questions. I'll PM you...