HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates hurt like a *******

Old
06-05-2010, 12:57 PM
denace

vCash: 500
Quote:
....I've got some CCM vector 6.0's that were giving me similar problems when I first got them, so I replaced the insole...
I have those too Do you know if they can be baked ?

And I have this weird problem, my left skate is wobbely when I just glide....is it a sharpening thing ?

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
Do you play at Icetown? We probably are at the same rink. I've got some CCM vector 6.0's that were giving me similar problems when I first got them, so I replaced the insole. It helped a little bit, but what helped the most was just not lacing them tightly and breaking them in a bit.
I was at the last two clinics there. I have CCM Vector 04's. I'll try the insoles, and keep tying them looser at the front. We'll see what happens. The pain wasn't as bad the second time around.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
thefeebster

I don't know if i can help since i am a beginner, but i recently bought skates and have a similar foot as you.

Both of my feet are flat and a bit wider. So i went to get fitted for skates. Tried on the Bauer Supremes and they pinched my heel almost instantly and it felt uncomfortable even walking in the store for a minute or two. The guy said it was normal, but i didn't like the feeling. Width-wise, the boot felt good though.

But then i tried on Rbk 5k's and i didn't think any boot would feel comfortable right out of the box, but these did. No pressure points anywhere, they have a much lower arch and width-wise, it was great. I even said to the associate that it felt like i was wearing regular shoes or even Rollerblades. After the first two skates, no pains besides the normal "haven't skated in 5 years" kind of pain in the leg muscles. I didn't even need to use the pumps.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
I have those too Do you know if they can be baked ?

And I have this weird problem, my left skate is wobbely when I just glide....is it a sharpening thing ?
Yes, you didn't have them baked when you bought them? You can bake skates more than once by the way, though it really just quickens the break-in process and isn't absolutely necessary.

The wobbly skate probably has to do more with posture and muscle strength than your actual skate. Sounds like you need to bend your knees more, and put more weight on that foot. Try doing some squat and lunge exercises at home to build up those muscles.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:31 AM
denace

@ducks: I work out at the moment at a gym where I squat, legpress and powerclean. Before the next season my legs will be stronger. Oh and I bought my skates online..something I`ll never do again

denace is offline   Reply With Quote