HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Guy Boucher offered Columbus head coach position; UPDATE: He declined to coach Tampa

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
**** Columbus....!

So, Jacques Martin and a seconde round picks for Boucher?

Old
06-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Bieber fever

Boucher will win the cup with nash , brassard , gudbranson , voracek ,couturier.....then will come with the habs.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It'd be a good fit.

Nice place to cut your teeth. Columbus is a fairly nice place, too.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Isn't it exactly what we did with Jacques Martin, while he was in Florida?

I'm sure Boucher can ask for some guarantees : "I accept your contract, but you let me talk with the Habs if they are interested in me as their head coach".
While I don't doubt Boucher might want to return and coach the Habs one day, I have a hard time believing Howson would take anyone seriously who was already looking for a way out of the job he was being offered.

Boucher hasn't accepted the gig yet. Perhapsn he's giving the Habs the weekend to decide Martin's long-term fate?

Old
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM
RE-HABS

Well Boucher is a new breed and he has had success with young players and the Jackets are looking for that type of leader behind the bench.

He isn't an "X and O's" coach, he is a guy who gets to know his players, talks to them and teaches them. How many players have we seen in the past that have said they never spoke to the coach the two years they were there???

This guy is super smart with his degrees and with most teams having sports psychologists on their teams already, how much better is your coach if he has one too???

Big gain for Columbus, major loss for the Habs.

Only thing one can hope is that he wants the weekend to talk to the Habs.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:26 PM
mvp76

I was just thinking, since Muller was being talked to by some other teams for a head coach job wouldn't that open a spot for Guy as an assistant? Would suck to lost both of them

Old
06-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
damn.... what a shame.

Gauthier saying that he doesn't want to interfer in Boucher's decision? What a ***** organization we have no pants at all. Typical canadian mentality.. No wonder why we suck for 20 years.
businesses are not legally allowed to prevent an employee from getting a promotion within another competing business. They would get sued if they did.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Komarov47

i don't mind, i'm glad for him. It's clear that Boucher have no future in Montreal, especially after the playoff run this season.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:34 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
While I don't doubt Boucher might want to return and coach the Habs one day, I have a hard time believing Howson would take anyone seriously who was already looking for a way out of the job he was being offered.

Boucher hasn't accepted the gig yet. Perhapsn he's giving the Habs the weekend to decide Martin's long-term fate?
Nah, I think he's using the weekend to wrap things up with the Habs before accepting the Columbus job. He was involved with the Habs' mini rookie camp this week, it would've been a bit odd for him to walk out of the training facility one day, and then becoming the Jackets' coach overnight.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Nah, I think he's using the weekend to wrap things up with the Habs before accepting the Columbus job. He was involved with the Habs' mini rookie camp this week, it would've been a bit odd for him to walk out of the training facility one day, and then becoming the Jackets' coach overnight.
I agree this is the likely sceanrio - I just through I should offer the possibility as an olive branch given my first point.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
I don't mean to force him or he will be pissed at us obviously.. It's just that he should give him promises saying that he will join the club in 1 year or something like that (don't know if he has been told that) or something to keep him, ie raise his salary.. When Gauthier talks is like if it doesnt care if Boucher leaves.. i'm just interpretating, i may be wrong..

I don't know.. I just feel that our organization lacks caracter or something. Sorry if I offended the elderly class or other people.
Would you hold out on a guaranteed job as the head of an organization for a "promise" of a potential opening in a year?

Would you work at a fraction of the salary you could be collecting for a year on a "promise" of the job you can have now?

No one would, cause there are no guarantees in life and Montreal isn't going to can Martin and allow him to take his salary for a year to allow us to have Boucher as a head coach, kind of a slap in the face to Muller at the same time.

I think Boucher is loyal, but I also think he is a realist in knowing the Montreal job isn't opening up this summer, or maybe the summer after.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Darkest Day in Habs history?

Old
06-05-2010, 12:42 PM
E = CH²

Now, I really hope Boucher declines, but logically, he goes to the interview, he wants the job. The feeling I've been getting from listening to his interview on CKAC is that by completely refusing to talk about it he's at least seriously considering it. And opportunities like that don't present themselves that often, my gut feeling says he's gone.

Also, on one hand, I really don't want him to accept, but if he did, it would be pretty hilarious considering a certain poster's insistence (and that's an euphemism for going bat**** arrogant crazy over it) that Boucher was going nowhere beacuse :

1) Habs wouldn't let him (wrong)
2) Boucher wouldn't want to (wrong)

Just because of that, it would almost be worth it. But considering we're stuck with Martin and Boucher is amazing, that could never make up for it unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
businesses are not legally allowed to prevent an employee from getting a promotion within another competing business. They would get sued if they did.
The habs could have prevented Boucher from talking with anyone else while he was under contract with them but as was said in this thread earlier, this is something teams rarely if ever do. It's just not a good idea to do that for multiple reasons.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:44 PM
kostitsyn1489

Part of life, it sucks to see him go because he's a great coach no doubt about that.

He did deny jobs in the past to be with the Habs so it might happen if he thinks it's better that way.

Otherwise he goes with one of the good young team that desperately need a coach to get them in the playoff and Boucher can do that. Brassard is one of the top player there and he knows him well. Voracek played against him so he prolly knows a bit of who he is. It'll be fun to follow him next year.

Good luck Guy!

Old
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

At least he was here for Subban, Carle, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Desjardins, Weber & Cie.

If he goes too bad for the prospects who didn't get to compete with him.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Now, I really hope Boucher declines, but logically, he goes to the interview, he wants the job.
Actually, it could have accepted the interview just to be polite and to keep his options open. There would be nothing exceptional about that, in hockey or in any other professional field.

Quote:
Also, on one hand, I really don't want him to accept, but if he did, it would be pretty hilarious considering a certain poster's insistence (and that's an euphemism for going bat**** arrogant crazy over it) that Boucher was going nowhere beacuse :
Why do I feel I know who you are referencing, yet completely misstate his position?
Quote:
1) Habs wouldn't let him (wrong)
It's been understood by everyone for a long time that the habs couldn't stop Boucher from getting a promotion, aside from some random posters everybody understand that from the very beginning.
Quote:
2) Boucher wouldn't want to (wrong)
He still hasn't decide of anything.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
wel that's not entirely true. He has a contract and the habs could enforce it if they wanted. It would be a dick move, but perfectly legal.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Actually, it could have accepted the interview just to be polite and to keep his options open. There would be nothing exceptional about that, in hockey or in any other professional field.
It's possible Boucher wasn't impressed with CBJ's management and decides to not take the job, but going to the interview most likely means there's at least some interest, or that there was before the interview.

You don't go to an interview if you have ZERO intention of accepting no matter what. And you don't take your time to consider the offer after if you never had an intention of accepting. So, this, at least, proves that he has a little bit of an interest.

Quote:
Why do I feel I know who you are referencing, yet completely misstate his position?
All I have to say about this is :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
For the millionth time; THEY CAN'T!!!

He's under contract, and until that contract runs out, he CAN'T talk to other teams. The only way he could is if the Habs let him, and do you REALLY think they would do that????? Come on.
Just go read this thread if you feel I'm misinterpreting him, because I really don't think I am.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...3#post24989483

Quote:
It's been understood by everyone for a long time that the habs couldn't stop Boucher from getting a promotion, aside from some random posters everybody understand that from the very beginning.
By everyone except...

Also the habs can technically stop Boucher from talking to the CBJ. But they'd never do it.

Quote:
He still hasn't decide of anything.
But he is considering it. Which was apparently something that was out of the question if you believe ozy.

EDIT:

I may come off as harsh toward Ozy, and I just want to clear things up here. I think he's a good poster and he definitely brings something to the boards. I also feel he can think for himself which is more than you can say for three quarters of the posters here. But the way he handled the whole Boucher thing was really overboard, ridiculing everyone and showing a lot of attitude for something that wasn't as clear cut as he was implying it to be. And IMO, in those situations, you have to own up to your comments and accept that you were wrong and had no reasons to go overboard like that.

Last edited by E = CH²: 06-05-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old
06-05-2010, 01:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
/player development

\team full of Pyatt's
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but you DO realize that Boucher was the one giving glowing reports on Pyatt, right?

Old
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
wel that's not entirely true. He has a contract and the habs could enforce it if they wanted. It would be a dick move, but perfectly legal.
No they couldn't, not in Canada. There's a lot of similar cases going to court won by ex-employees. You just can't prevent someone from exercising his profession regardless of what dumb clause you put in their contracts. (With some exception for professional athletes.)

Like a no-compete clause for 6 months after termination of employment. Those clause are worth nothing in Canadian courts, absolutely nothing.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Crede777
Deputized

As a Jackets fan, I must say that I'm happy our GM chose to go with Boucher. He obviously hasn't made public his acceptance yet (if he even has accepted), so this is a nervous time for the organization.

However, with the recent Hitchcock fiasco, I cannot see the Jackets handcuffing themselves to any one coach, even if that coach is Boucher. That makes me think that his contract won't be for more than 2-3 years, giving the Jackets the option to end things if they go badly and, by extension, Boucher the option to move to a different organization (the Habs) in a few years.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
No they couldn't, not in Canada. There's a lot of similar cases going to court won by ex-employees. You just can't prevent someone from exercising his profession regardless of what dumb clause you put in their contracts. (With some exception for professional athletes.)

Like a no-compete clause for 6 months after termination of employment. Those clause are worth nothing in Canadian courts, absolutely nothing.
So all this talk of the habs allowing Boucher to talk to other teams is hot air cuz in reality they never needed to allow Boucher or Lever to talk to other teams ?

Are you really sure you know more than all medias, teams and basically everyone that reports that you do need an authorization from your team to talk to other teams ?

I mean you could be right, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet the house against you and probably win.

EDIT:

BTW, you say not in canada, is it possible they're going by US laws when it comes to employment by NHL teams since the NHL is mostly based in the USA ? Are you aware of all the laws involved with pro sports teams ?

Old
06-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post

This couldn't be farther from the truth. A non-complete clause is completely legal, as long as the terms of the said clause aren't too strict (IE effectively prohibits the worker to find any other job). I have no clue where you got your infos, but there are tons and tons of jurisprudence where a non-compete clause has been found valid. It's always analysed on a case by case basis.

Old
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
So all this talk of the habs allowing Boucher to talk to other teams is hot air cuz in reality they never needed to allow Boucher or Lever to talk to other teams ?

Are you really sure you know more than all medias, teams and basically everyone that reports that you do need an authorization from your team to talk to other teams ?

I mean you could be right, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet the house against you and probably win.
That's right.. The authorization thing is because of league and affiliate league regulations. Legally he could just resign and go work wherever and if there ever was a dispute, league regulations wouldn't supersede Labor Laws.

That's why Gauthier said in an interview that not only they couldn't prevent him, but they would be encouraging him.

Old
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I actually just learned on judge judy the other day that you can't put in a contract that someone can't interview for other jobs while they are working for you. Has something to do with it basically being slavery forcing someone to work for you and preventing any type of competitiveness with other employers and preventing individuals from leaving their current conditions.

What a contract can do those is hold the person responsible who breaks the contract for any monetary values associated with the contract. If a clause is put into a contract preventing a person from seeking employment somewhere else, it can only really be grounds for termination if it isn't too restricting in it's scope. A complete restriction from seeking employment anywhere else I'm pretty sure is not legally a binding contract.

Last edited by Gulvorn: 06-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Closed Thread