HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Rats sign Gionta

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2005, 12:00 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Rats sign Gionta

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/03/15/961767.html

River Rats sign Gionta

The Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League today announced the signing of right wing Brian Gionta.

Gionta, 26, most recently skated for the U.S. National Select team that won the 2004 Deutschland Cup in Hannover, Germany, back on November 14, 2004. He finished third in tournament scoring by posting four goals and one assist for five points in four games.

Old
03-15-2005, 01:45 PM
John Flyers Fan

A bit of a surprising move at this point in the season. It's too late for Gionta to help them to a playoff spot with just a month left in the season. Any reasonn that they didn't sign him earlier ??

Old
03-15-2005, 02:02 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
A bit of a surprising move at this point in the season. It's too late for Gionta to help them to a playoff spot with just a month left in the season. Any reasonn that they didn't sign him earlier ??
You're right, this doesn't do anything for Albany.

My understanding is that Gionta just wants to get in game shape before the World Championship, and with Albany's season ending on April 16th, this works out well logistically.

Old
03-15-2005, 02:21 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
My understanding is that Gionta just wants to get in game shape before the World Championship, and with Albany's season ending on April 16th, this works out well logistically.
That makes sense.

Old
03-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Defence first

vCash:
whoose spot is he going to take?

Old
03-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defence first
That's what I'm wondering too.....I kind of question this move by the Devils.....Gionta is already a proven NHL'er, and now he's going to be taking some valuable time away from another prospect....If the Rats were shooting for a playoff spot, then this would make more sense, but to do such a thing now seems a bit strange to me.......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
03-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden
That's what I'm wondering too.....I kind of question this move by the Devils.....Gionta is already a proven NHL'er, and now he's going to be taking some valuable time away from another prospect....If the Rats were shooting for a playoff spot, then this would make more sense, but to do such a thing now seems a bit strange to me.......

It's more a favor to Gionta than anything else. As already mentioned, it's likely he's going to play for the U.S. at the World Championships, so this is an opportunity to get in shape for the tournament.

Old
03-15-2005, 07:13 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defence first
Once again, some minor league kid trying to work his way up to the NHL, gets shafted by a 'locked-out' proven NHL player. I can't wait till Gionta hits the media complaining about replacement players taking his job and depriving him of his livelyhood next season.

Just like the 350 or so that are over in Europe right now.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.......

Daddy

Old
03-16-2005, 12:04 AM
David Puddy

The way the Rats have played this season, it isn't unfair to scratch a foward for Brian Gionta. When a team is consistently outshot by 20 or more SOG's in a game, it has to do with more than the play of the defensemen.

Old
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I think Gionta in the dressing room will help the younger guys for the amount of games he is there. He is still young and knows what it takes to make it to the NHL and stick. I'm sure he will have some leadership to pass along.

Old
03-16-2005, 08:41 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoozYerrDaddy
Once again, some minor league kid trying to work his way up to the NHL, gets shafted by a 'locked-out' proven NHL player. I can't wait till Gionta hits the media complaining about replacement players taking his job and depriving him of his livelyhood next season.

Just like the 350 or so that are over in Europe right now.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.......

Daddy
Well, my guess is that it will be one of the lesser talented guys, so let's forget about the "kid trying to work his way up to the NHL" sob story. If Gionta wants to come back and provide the Rats with some spark and leadership, who does this hurt? It certainly doesn't hurt the Devils. If some poor, schmuck of a player who had little or no shot at the big team is sacrificed, so be it. The Devils are a team and an organization. This can only help the organization if Gio plays well and can help his teammates achieve a higher standard of play.

Closed Thread