HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any ideas of finding summer ice?

Old
06-05-2010, 04:50 PM
vinogradov8

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Any ideas of finding summer ice?

I live in Pensacola, FL, and we have ice in the winter when the SPHL team plays, but over the summer I have a really hard time finding ice to even skate on, not even play. The closest summer ice around here is Tallahassee or Montgomery. So I was planning a summer trip to one of these places to play pick up hockey or just do public skating. Have any of you done this sort of thing and is it expensive/worth it? Also, what do you think the best way for me to find summer ice would be? (dont say hockey camps, im not paying $500 for a week of ice).

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Razzmatazz

I'm certain there is no rink in or near Tallahassee, trust me, I've been looking for several years. There are two roller rinks in town, one I believe has roller hockey pickups on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the is also a roller rink in Quincy. Everything east is bum eff, you aren't going to find anything that way until you get to Lake City, a good hour and a half away from here.

To save my sanity, I just cut myself one of the Thrifty Whiteboards and go shoot pucks in the squash courts at the park.

Best way to find summer ice? Move to Ellenton.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:28 PM
vinogradov8

Well, we know some people in atlanta and I do plan to actually stay a few days. In the summer the rinks around here usually don't have a lot of people skating on them so I could probably bring out my stick and play.

Old
06-05-2010, 06:05 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I'm certain there is no rink in or near Tallahassee, trust me, I've been looking for several years. There are two roller rinks in town, one I believe has roller hockey pickups on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the is also a roller rink in Quincy. Everything east is bum eff, you aren't going to find anything that way until you get to Lake City, a good hour and a half away from here.

To save my sanity, I just cut myself one of the Thrifty Whiteboards and go shoot pucks in the squash courts at the park.

Best way to find summer ice? Move to Ellenton.
http://www.skateworld1.com/ - This rink is not active anymore?
http://www.tallahasseeskateinn.com/ - Or this?

Old
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
blueberrydanish

Well our ice over here in Jacks is pretty crap but hey if ya wanna drive 8 hours to take a chance its better than yours PM me!

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinogradov8 View Post
http://www.skateworld1.com/ - This rink is not active anymore?
http://www.tallahasseeskateinn.com/ - Or this?
Like I said, roller rinks, not ice

If you are driving hundreds of miles to find ice, you might want to some more thorough research...

Old
06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Well our ice over here in Jacks is pretty crap but hey if ya wanna drive 8 hours to take a chance its better than yours PM me!
Yeah ice down here is like 30 degrees during the winter and its warmer inside the arena then outside. Im considering trucking with my cousin/uncle to California and stay there during the summer.

@Razz: Thats too bad.

Old
06-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Razzmatazz

If you are willing to travel long distances, take a trip to the beach and go to Ellenton, near Bradenton, you can see the rink to your left right before you exit I-75. Plenty of pickups (if you are willing to get up early, and 20 minutes from some of the nicest stretch of beaches in the country.

http://www.ellentonice.com/

Or RDV Sportsplex Ice Den in Maitland, FL...cheaper for pickups than Ellenton. The pickup I went to there was far and away the most talented group of players I've ever skated with. Unfortunately it's on the wrong side of Orlando if you want to go to Disney or Universal.

http://www.mvpsportsclubs.com/florid...tsplex-ice-den

My home rink is the Brandon Ice Sports Forum when I'm home from school, but there are only pickups for the over 30 people, it is infuriating that they don't schedule more...beginner pickups were filled up an hour before they started, and yet they don't schedule them anymore. Usually, the only over 18 pickup is the last Friday of each month now. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut those all together in the near future. If you aren't in a league, you are pretty much out of luck unless you want to drive an hour to another rink. I'll give you the link anyway, in case you are interested.

http://www.theicesportsforum.com/

If you need the best route to get to any of these places, let me know.

Old
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
vinogradov8

I wish rinks were made more efficiently and run cheaper. Hopefully the California thing works out well. And thanks Razz, the http://www.ellentonice.com/ website look interesting. Hopefully Ill find some sort of solution.

Old
06-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Razzmatazz

I stopped by the skating place in Lake City to see if it was an ice rink, since it's just off I-75 on my way to Tallahassee....roller skating rink

Pretty much no options in northern Florida

Old
06-14-2010, 11:39 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I stopped by the skating place in Lake City to see if it was an ice rink, since it's just off I-75 on my way to Tallahassee....roller skating rink

Pretty much no options in northern Florida
It's all obama's fault! Geez.