HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Old
06-06-2010, 05:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Somehow LB got Rangers czar Glen Sather to address his minions in Rangerland

Quote:
“We have to get better,” Sather acknowledged. “And the way we’re going to get better is by staying within our organization and giving our prospects the time to grow and the opportunity to play in New York.

“This has been a long process, and it’s ongoing, but as we go into this summer, our plan is to keep our own players. I can tell you one thing — we are certainly not going to overpay for free agents. If we can improve with a signing that makes sense, we’ll look into it, but we want to give our guys the first shot.”

Sather says Huggy is history. Wouldn't discuss his plans for Brashear.

Quote:
The Rangers are up against it in cap space. They have approximately $12 million available to sign restricted free agent defenseman Marc Staal and Dan Girardi (“Those two guys are part of our core; of course we’re signing them,” Sather said), plus Jody Shelley, Vinny Prospal, Erik Christensen, Brandon Prust, P.A. Parenteau, a seventh defenseman and a credible backup goaltender.

They’ll have an additional $6.5 million available if they waive Wade Redden before the roster cap is recalibrated at the conclusion of training camp.
Quote from Pat Morris who reps Shelley who wants to return to the Rangers.

Quote:
Sather said that he would like to sign Wisconsin senior defenseman Ryan McDonagh and junior center Derek Stepan. The GM told The Post both players would attend the Blueshirts’ prospects camp the first week of July.

“We’d like to get them in and have them earn jobs,” Sather said of the two young Americans. “We’re excited to see whether [Evgeny] Grachev and [Dale] Weise and some of our other kids can earn jobs.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Great job by LB getting Sather to finally discuss this stuff. The Rangers season only ended 7 weeks ago. What was the rush?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
He said some really good things. but let's see if and how he delivers.

"There are 23 spots and they’re going to the best 23. A player’s contract isn’t going to get him a spot on the team if he doesn’t earn it, and that goes for everyone."

It better go for Redden.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather wants to bring back Prospal and thinks they will as long as Rich Winter doesn't make crazy demands.

Morris and his partner Don Meehan represent some many Rangers free agents. They have Girardi,Prust,Christensen and Shelley. Not to mention the signed players-Lundqvist,Avery,Redden and MZA.

Stepan leaving school? He has talked about staying in school. The Rangers could give him first round pick bonus money like they gave MZA. $875,000 max cap. $900,000 in potential bonuses. $87,500 signing bonus in each of the 3 years. Times 3 years. Over 1/4 of million. He isn't making that his first 3 years out of school if he was a normal student.

Old
06-06-2010, 05:59 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I wonder what Sather means that if a UFA signing that makes sense, means. Probably a depth d-man and/or a 2nd line forward.

I would like to see Stepan not go back to Wisonsin and at the very least be playing in Hartford. Weise could be ready for 4th line duty, but if they are bringing Prust and Shelley back, where does he fit in? I don't see Grachev being ready either, but who knows, I didn't think MDZ was ready going into camp either last season.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:28 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
He said some really good things. but let's see if and how he delivers.

"There are 23 spots and they’re going to the best 23. A player’s contract isn’t going to get him a spot on the team if he doesn’t earn it, and that goes for everyone."

It better go for Redden.
Yes, this better apply to Redden. I would be happy with this offseason if the Rangers just waived Redden and signed Hamhuis or Z. Michalek to replace him, to go along with signing MZA.

I'm on the fence about re-signing Prospal. He was a great player for the Rangers last season and has a ton of heart, but he disapeared towards the end of the season and his history states that this will be a down season, points wise.

I would like to see the Rangers somehow acquire Wheeler and sign Francis Boullion-Cube. I don't know if the Rangers are going to carry 7 D-men this season. Last season they carried six until the last month when they brough Eriksson up and sat Gilroy.

- Already signed MZA.
- Sign Hamhuis or Z. Michalek.
- Redden to the minors.
- Gilroy + to Boston for Wheeler.
- Sign Boullion.
- See what it costs to bring back Shelley and Prospal.
- Girardi re-signed to 4 year deal at $3.0 million cap hit.
- Staal re-signed to a 5 year deal at $3.75-$4.0 million cap hit.

Prospal/Dubinsky - Christiansen - Gaborik
Dubinsky/MZA - Anisimov - Wheeler
MZA/Avery - Drury - Callahan
Shelley/Avery - Boyle - Prust
Voros/Brashear

Staal - Roszival
MDZ - Z. Michalek/Hamhuis
Boullion - Girardi

Lundqvist
Hedberg

Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
* Blake Wheeler ($2.250m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Aaron Voros ($1.000m)
Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Erik Christensen ($0.800m) / * Brandon Prust ($0.750m)
* Jody Shelley ($0.750m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($4.000m)
* Z. Michalek ($4.000m) / * Daniel Girardi ($3.000m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / * Francios Boullion ($0.750m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / * Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP: $58.0m; PAYROLL: $56.647m; CAP ROOM: $2.416m BONUSES: $1.062m

If the cap goes up to $58 million, the Rangers would have $2.4 million in cap room. You can sub in Sangs or McD if they are able to make the team, for Boullion. Could use that cap space to bring in a rental player at the deadline, if needed and carry the extra cap space into the offseason when Dubinsky and Callahan need new contracts. Not to mention the cap will more then likely go up again next off season with economic condition a lot better then they were a year or so ago.

If Sather can make Huggy bear go away, that's an additional $1.4 million in savings. Also, if need be, send Voros to the minors, which would save another $1.0 million. Rangers could have an extra $4.8 million in cap space.

Old
06-06-2010, 06:52 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

If this is indeed the plan, get the young guys in here. We have enough parts to be competitive and build a solid foundation. Much like how Chicago slowly got to where they are now, we have prospect who might not have the upside, but can certainly develop into a core group of very good players. In 3 years, they will be ready to be in Chicago's position.

Staal-MDZ for sure
McD-Sangs maybe
Girardi will be around contributing or traded
I'm still hopeful for Sauer if he ever gets a chance and stays healthy.

Dubi
Cally
MZA
Anisimov
Grachev
Stepan
Gaborik is around for 4 more
Prust should resign.

Kreider, Werek, Bourque and down the line. Who knows when they will be ready?
Byers, Weise, Dupont gonna be fighting for spots on the 4th.
Hagelin shows 3rd line promise

and with Henke we will always be competitive.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:24 AM
eco's bones

Sather has said similar stuff before. It's not always been reliable.

Anyway a few things: Stepan might not be physically ready to turn pro at least to make a real impact--may need a little more filling out. McDonagh I'm hoping could come in and take a job out of training camp.

I don't know what Prospal would want that would make his demands 'out of whack' but I'd assume he'd want more than $1.1 mil this time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shelley back.

I'm wondering what kind of experienced back up goalie is going to be interested in playing behind Henrik. Seems to me the Rangers are going to have to promise him something. Bonus money for less than 20 starts? 15?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Step 1: Waive Redden.
Step 2: Sign Gonchar for Redden's money.
Step 3: Re-sign Prospal, Christensen, Staal, Girardi, Prust, Shelley, Auld.

Grachev will earn a spot if he's healthy. Mark my words.

Dubinsky Prospal Gaborik
Grachev Christensen MZA
Drury Anisimov Callahan
Prust Avery Shelley
Boyle
Voros

Staal Gonchar (2 years 6.5 million)
Del Zotto Girardi
Gilroy Rozsival
Sanguinetti

Lundqvist
Auld

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:44 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Step 1: Waive Redden.
Step 2: Sign Gonchar for Redden's money.
Step 3: Re-sign Prospal, Christensen, Staal, Girardi, Prust, Shelley, Auld.

Grachev will earn a spot if he's healthy. Mark my words.

Dubinsky Prospal Gaborik
Grachev Christensen MZA
Drury Anisimov Callahan
Prust Avery Shelley
Boyle
Voros

Staal Gonchar (2 years 6.5 million)
Del Zotto Girardi
Gilroy Rozsival
Sanguinetti

Lundqvist
Auld
Dear God no!!!!

Why would Sanguinetti be the 7th D-man? He should either be on the team, or in Hartford developing.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:06 AM
MPJohnny5

Excellent news! I really think reddens gonna be off this squad next year

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
sather's quote about making the team no matter what your contract might honestly be pointing to Redden, I guess it could point to brash too, but it sure sounds like it is more about redden...hope it happens!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:38 AM
beastly115

I'll believe it when I see it.

Sather's UFA track record has given me NO reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:39 AM
NYRJE

Somehow, I don't buy Sather's comment about contracts not being a factor in whether players make the squad or not.

Gratchev was on the bubble last year and hopefully he has improved enough to make the team out of camp.

Stepan, if he can impress enough, be signed, and earn a job out of camp would fill our need for a playmaking center. Apart from that, I think that trying to acquire a top line center (either via trade or a signing - "if it makes sense" of course) should be a high on the list IMO.

Prospal and Shelley are old guys and we may be able to do without them. They'll be blocking the way for younger players.

Hamhuis would be a cheaper, and better, alternative to Redden. He's a good skater and we could use more mobility on the blueline. Volchenkov would be huge but in light of Slat's free agency comment and our lack of cap space, this signing would not be likely.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:45 AM
free0717

Redden has got to go.

Is Prospal going to be healthy? I heard he is still rehabbing and cant train for the season yet.

I wouldnt mind trading Rozival for Kovalev although I highly doubt Sather would bring back Alex. Would give us more Offense and he is in last year of contract. Would Free up 5 million dollars of Cap space for 2011-12. Kovalev in a contract year may have a big year.
Good deal for Ottawa as Rozy would take Volchenkovs place.

If we are out of the Playoff Race @ the deadline, Kovalev would be a good rental. Same if we do sign Prospal.

I would love us to sign Stepan and McDonough.

I dont think Grachev will be NHL ready. He has to dominate @ the AHL level first. If Rangers sign Stepan, it might be a big year in the AHL for both of them as Stepan is a great Playmaker.

Id like out D to shape up like this although it will be veryyoung.

Staal MDZ
Girardi Sanguinetti
McD Gilroy

7th Dman, I would like Potter.

Dont think its a great team. Trading Rozy for Kovy would somewhat get us out of Cap Hell next season although we would still have Drury @ 7 million a year.

Basically we are in Cap hell for the next two years

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:47 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

Sather's UFA track record has given me NO reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.
+1000 on this one.

I wonder if this comment was made due to our limited cap space. I realize that we can open things up a by waiving Redden but what if Sather isn't willing to admit his mistake and forces Tort's to keep him in the lineup? You won't be able to shop him if he's in the minors making that kind of money.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:12 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJE View Post
Prospal and Shelley are old guys and we may be able to do without them. They'll be blocking the way for younger players.
I doubt they would block anyone. Shelley is a fighter and we don't have any fighters ready to come up and play. Prospal won't get more than a 1 year deal since he's 35. I think Sather might have learned his lesson on that one after the Brashear deal.

If Prospal can give us 50 points for 2-2.5 mil, it's worth it. And Shelley is a no brainer. He played well and will be inexpensive.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:14 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJE View Post
Somehow, I don't buy Sather's comment about contracts not being a factor in whether players make the squad or not.

Gratchev was on the bubble last year and hopefully he has improved enough to make the team out of camp.

Stepan, if he can impress enough, be signed, and earn a job out of camp would fill our need for a playmaking center. Apart from that, I think that trying to acquire a top line center (either via trade or a signing - "if it makes sense" of course) should be a high on the list IMO.

Hamhuis would be a cheaper, and better, alternative to Redden. He's a good skater and we could use more mobility on the blueline. Volchenkov would be huge but in light of Slat's free agency comment and our lack of cap space, this signing would not be likely.
Shelley isn't blocking anyone except for maybe Soryal--that is unless you think we don't need a fighter. Personally I do. I'd have no problem bringing Jody back for the right amount of money. The way he and Prust were playing with Anisimov towards the end of the season I'd be inclined to keep that line together. Want someone younger than Shelley?--go after Booggard but don't expect anything other than the fighting.

As for Prospal--if Stepan doesn't sign and/or needs more development he's a realistic option. Rangers don't have any worthwhile scoring centers in the AHL.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:19 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'm wondering what kind of experienced back up goalie is going to be interested in playing behind Henrik. Seems to me the Rangers are going to have to promise him something. Bonus money for less than 20 starts? 15?
Bonuses can only be given on ELCs and 1 year 35+ contracts. The only UFA goalies that would qualify are:

Hedberg
Legace
Lalime

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:20 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Redden has got to go.

Is Prospal going to be healthy? I heard he is still rehabbing and cant train for the season yet.

I wouldnt mind trading Rozival for Kovalev although I highly doubt Sather would bring back Alex. Would give us more Offense and he is in last year of contract. Would Free up 5 million dollars of Cap space for 2011-12. Kovalev in a contract year may have a big year.
Good deal for Ottawa as Rozy would take Volchenkovs place.

If we are out of the Playoff Race @ the deadline, Kovalev would be a good rental. Same if we do sign Prospal.

I would love us to sign Stepan and McDonough.

I dont think Grachev will be NHL ready. He has to dominate @ the AHL level first. If Rangers sign Stepan, it might be a big year in the AHL for both of them as Stepan is a great Playmaker.

Id like out D to shape up like this although it will be veryyoung.

Staal MDZ
Girardi Sanguinetti
McD Gilroy

7th Dman, I would like Potter.

Dont think its a great team. Trading Rozy for Kovy would somewhat get us out of Cap Hell next season although we would still have Drury @ 7 million a year.

Basically we are in Cap hell for the next two years
That would be very bad if the Rangers D looked like that next season.

Old
06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Sounds like a lot o the same old same old from TLB.

06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

so what about Voros??? i guess hell be back as the 13th forward although cant complain really, he does try and doesnt complain when he sits out, but i hope byers makes the team out of camp

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Doesn't appear the Rangers are a taker for Souray. SJ and Jersey

Quote:
There aren't a lot of teams lining up to trade for Oilers Sheldon Souray because of his $5.4-million cap hit for two more years. One possibility may be the San Jose Sharks, who need help on the blue-line, especially if Rob Blake retires and they lose his big shot and $3.5-million worth of salary. The Sharks would likely offer defenceman Kent Huskins and forward Torrey Mitchell in return. Huskins, a No. 5 or 6 blue-liner at best, makes $1.7 million for one more year. Mitchell, who hasn't been the same player since breaking his leg and having knee problems, is a $1.3-million cap hit. New Jersey, which had an awful power play against the Flyers in Round 1, are the other possibility.
Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...#ixzz0q51FNc3V

Old
06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Matteau Matteau

This is great news IMO. And on the other tidbit, I do not want Souray so I'm glad we are apparently not going to make a run for him.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
we are certainly not going to overpay for free agents. If we can improve with a signing that makes sense, we’ll look into it, but we want to give our guys the first shot
It all sounds well and good - personally I think Kovalchuk makes sense at the right contract (under $9MM). That then sets you up to properly build through your own organization over the next 2-3 years with 3 cornerstones in place at goal and winger, plus 2 key defensemen (Staal & MDZ) already in place through the draft. So, what I HOPE this means, is that they will make a reasonable, competitive offer for Kovy - maybe get a bit creative with the terms to offer a larger overall financial package at a more reasonable average cap hit.

But if he turns you down, walk away. AND THEN DON'T USE YOUR REMAINING CAP SPACE FOR ANY OF THE SECOND TIER GUYS OUT THERE. Even at "market" rates. No 4 years @ $5.5MM per year for Plekanec. No 3 years @ $4.25MM for Hamhuis. What's the point? How do they help us build a contender? If you can't get a true building block in FA, then live up to your words, promote from within, and let your guys do it - and accept a down year with the kids learning the ropes, if you have to. Because the other guys in this year's market are not going to be part of a long-term solution.

There are some nice guys out there, who I think could help a team that's one step away - a team that's already put the time in to develop their young guys and now needs to drop a player or two into the lineup to fill a key role and bring a bit of experience. LA could use players of that type. But for the Rangers, in this year's market, they need the one key strategic piece... or nothing. Literally nothing.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-06-2010 at 09:57 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
NYRSchrute217

Certainly sounds like no big name FA's. Considering I want to stay far away from Marleau and Plekanec, and Volchenkov will get more than he's worth, that's probably a good thing.

I'd love to see Stepan center Grachev in Hartford next year and have them move up to the big club together in 2011-12.

I too want to see the Rangers re-sign Shelley and Prust. Torn on Christensen honestly, because I think his spot could go to a younger guy which wouldn't hurt us too much. But I won't be upset if he's re-signed cheap, he's a pretty good player and him and Gaborik have chemistry.

No on Prospal, he completely faded down the stretch. And obviously a no on Jokinen too.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote