HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The "I want to complain about Regier" Thread (Merged)

Old
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Vanek's agent had more than one team lined up to make an offer-sheet for his player. There was no option for Buffalo re-signing Thomas early, he was going the RFA offer-sheet route with his agent's influence all along.
I can't conclude there was no re-signing option because Regier never pursued it. He should have made Vanek a good offer and played on his sense of loyalty and desire to win. Regier could have offered something like $28 million/5 yrs and told the media we'll match an offer sheet, but if it goes that way it'll hurt our ability to build a competitive team. Then a front office source could have leaked the contract offer details to put the pressure on Vanek. The media would have put Vanek between a rock and a hard place. That's probably what Brian Burke would have done. As far as I know the only offer Vanek received was a qualifying offer. Regier sat on the tracks and let a train coming from thousands of miles away run him over. His negotiating skills leave a lot to be desired. Vanek still may have waited for the offer sheet, but when I know something bad is coming I do everything in my power to stop it. I assumed that was a basic human response. Is Darcy even human?

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Weird Fish

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Vanek's agent had more than one team lined up to make an offer-sheet for his player. There was no option for Buffalo re-signing Thomas early, he was going the RFA offer-sheet route with his agent's influence all along.
Is this substantiated anywhere, or is it just speculation?

Offer sheets are still very rare, and they really weren't a consideration until after the Vanek offer sheet. I think it's a major stretch to say that Vanek's agent had this in mind the whole time and was going after an offer sheet at all costs.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
Is this substantiated anywhere, or is it just speculation?

Offer sheets are still very rare, and they really weren't a consideration until after the Vanek offer sheet. I think it's a major stretch to say that Vanek's agent had this in mind the whole time and was going after an offer sheet at all costs.
Bartlett was soliciting offer sheets. He had no intent to sign a contract with Buffalo until he exhausted the process of seeing what offer sheets would bring. He correctly predicted that a player of Vanek's age, coming off an 87-point season, would get a big offer. I know this happened with 100% certainty, which is why I get so upset with people who revise the history of what happened in that case. Do I know how many teams who faxed over an offer sheet? I don't. But I do know for a fact that he was soliciting the offer sheets.

He and my step-father periodically play golf together. They had a professional relationship from when my step-father did some IP work for SCG. They're somewhere between "friends" and "acquaintences." I think "golf buddies" is a fair phrase to use. I certainly don't have any other insider information when it comes to Bartlett and his players (frankly, I don't seek it and wouldn't expect my step-father to), but I do know this.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Bartlett was soliciting offer sheets. He had no intent to sign a contract with Buffalo until he exhausted the process of seeing what offer sheets would bring. He correctly predicted that a player of Vanek's age, coming off an 87-point season, would get a big offer. I know this happened with 100% certainty, which is why I get so upset with people who revise the history of what happened in that case. Do I know how many teams who faxed over an offer sheet? I don't. But I do know for a fact that he was soliciting the offer sheets.
I don't think there's any disputing that. However Bartlett wasn't permitted to solicit offer sheets until July 1st. Regier had from Jan 1st until June 30th with exclusive rights to try to negotiate an extension. He sat on his hands for 6 months accepting the offer sheet as a fait accompli with the mindset "we're not going to waste our time trying to negotiate with Vanek because he's going to wait for an offer sheet". It's inexcusable not to make an effort.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Sabretip

It doesn't really matter what Regier says or doesn't say - every decision or direction that is made on hockey personnel comes from Quinn and no one else.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:08 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
It doesn't really matter what Regier says or doesn't say - every decision or direction that is made on hockey personnel comes from Quinn and no one else.
That's simply not true. Golisano isn't going to pay someone to be a figurehead. No sane owner is.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Layne Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No. He had no value because he just suffered a performance impacting wrist injury - one that nobody in the league knew if he'd come back from. Hence him only getting a tryout contract from one of the worst teams in the league (who happened to also have a Russian as their star player)

And I can fill in the blanks from your earlier post.....

Darcy Regier made a great decision with: Ryan Miller
That Miller choice was 11 seasons ago, and he lucked out on him in the 5th round.Just look at the last few seasons of Regier's work, and you'll see how pitiful his performance is.

Wasting 2 2nd rounders in a row on Torres and Moore.Wasting a 2nd and 3rd for a 5/6 d-man in Rivet with overrated leadership and deteriorating playing skills.Overpaying for Gaustad,and Pominville (). How many of his top selections has he totally flubbed?Kruikov,Novotny,Persson,Zagrapan,Brennan?

Be happy with lucking out to a division win (Even though the 3rd and 4th place division teams made it farther then us : )

And just wait til this off-season, when Buffalo makes zero impact additions, same old song from Darcy..."The market wasn't right" "The money thrown around was to crazy for us"

It's funny, everyone around here ridicules teams that spend through FA, saying it isn't the "right" way to try to compete, even though we have never known for ourselves how it would turn out, one of Darcy's best lines is saying he would rather be active in the trade then FA market, which shows how terrible he is with assets, trades you have to give to get, FA you just have to open the wallet.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Rivet with overrated leadership
Now that's worthy.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Layne Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Now that's worthy.
Please, if he is this great captain everyone thinks of him as, maybe our team wouldn't have folded like a house made of cards in the postseason.Just because he is the "best" leader on a team full of followers, doesn't make him a good leader.Grier is a much better leader, and he makes a third of what Rivet does.Only one more season of Rivet, and then hopefully no more wannabe toughguys on the backend with no mobility or skills.

Old
06-06-2010, 10:09 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
That Miller choice was 11 seasons ago, and he lucked out on him in the 5th round.Just look at the last few seasons of Regier's work, and you'll see how pitiful his performance is.

Wasting 2 2nd rounders in a row on Torres and Moore.Wasting a 2nd and 3rd for a 5/6 d-man in Rivet with overrated leadership and deteriorating playing skills.Overpaying for Gaustad,and Pominville (). How many of his top selections has he totally flubbed?Kruikov,Novotny,Persson,Zagrapan,Brennan?

Be happy with lucking out to a division win (Even though the 3rd and 4th place division teams made it farther then us : )

And just wait til this off-season, when Buffalo makes zero impact additions, same old song from Darcy..."The market wasn't right" "The money thrown around was to crazy for us"

It's funny, everyone around here ridicules teams that spend through FA, saying it isn't the "right" way to try to compete, even though we have never known for ourselves how it would turn out, one of Darcy's best lines is saying he would rather be active in the trade then FA market, which shows how terrible he is with assets, trades you have to give to get, FA you just have to open the wallet.
So resigning Miller just doesn't count because it doesn't fit your argument?

I'm also not sure how you "luck" into winning your division when you were a 3rd period goal from the #2 seed in the conference, played in a division with the most playoff competitors, and ended up 6 (would have been 7 without the ENG against) points clear of the nearest opponent.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
How many of his top selections has he totally flubbed?Kruikov,Novotny,Persson,Zagrapan,Brennan?
Brennan? Really? Is he even 21 yet?

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
How many of his top selections has he totally flubbed?Kruikov,Novotny,Persson,Zagrapan,Brennan?
Myers...Ennis...

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Both sides can make selective compilations and come to the conclusion that advances their agenda. But there's no dispute that Regier has done a lot of good things and made a lot of mistakes. And this is what these threads ultimately devolve into. Henceforth, I am completely ignoring these dumb threads and I encourage others to do the same.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
That's simply not true. Golisano isn't going to pay someone to be a figurehead. No sane owner is.
I think the question that others and myself have about the situation is where is the line drawn. Who has more influence? What restrictions does Darcy face when trying to make moves?

If we bring in another GM, it's not going to be some strong willed figure that would tread on Quinn's toes. It's likely going to be someone in a much weaker position than Darcy.

I'd like to be sure that the situation is actually beneficial and not giving Quinn more control which I feel would be disastrous.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Please, if he is this great captain everyone thinks of him as, maybe our team wouldn't have folded like a house made of cards in the postseason.Just because he is the "best" leader on a team full of followers, doesn't make him a good leader.Grier is a much better leader, and he makes a third of what Rivet does.Only one more season of Rivet, and then hopefully no more wannabe toughguys on the backend with no mobility or skills.
So you're a Sabre tuned into what actually happens in the locker room?

You have ZERO idea of what really goes on in there. Absolutely none. Unless you're a member of the team or maybe even the media.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
Brennan? Really? Is he even 21 yet?
Yeah...Brennan doesn't belong in that list.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Layne Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
So you're a Sabre tuned into what actually happens in the locker room?

You have ZERO idea of what really goes on in there. Absolutely none. Unless you're a member of the team or maybe even the media.
No, not a player but a fan who watched this team play in the postseason.This team had no determination or desire to win, whatsoever.Our great leader lead us to a 6 game embarrassment of a series.

This team has no elite skater who everyone can look up to when the times are rough....Drury and Briere were our last 2.

Old
06-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
No, not a player but a fan who watched this team play in the postseason.This team had no determination or desire to win, whatsoever.Our great leader lead us to a 6 game embarrassment of a series.

This team has no elite skater who everyone can look up to when the times are rough....Drury and Briere were our last 2.

While your second point may be true, your first is certainly not. Rivet played with TWO TORN LABRUMS.

It's nearly impossible to play hockey with one torn labrum, let alone two.

If that's not leading by example, I don't know what is.

Old
06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Agreed. Totally ridiculous to come up with some nonsensical Quinn-is-the-GM conspiracy theory. Completely untrue.

Quote:
I don't care if the Sabres had zombie George Patton leading them. Their power play sucked. You can't go 0-for-18 with the man advantage and only 13-of-17 on the PK and expect to win a series. Special teams ineffectiveness is why Buffalo went golfing early.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Layne Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnoceros View Post

I don't care if the Sabres had zombie George Patton leading them. Their power play sucked. You can't go 0-for-18 with the man advantage and only 13-of-17 on the PK and expect to win a series. Special teams ineffectiveness is why Buffalo went golfing early.
What does that mean then?They got completely outcoached, outplayed or both.Either way, it means this team needs serious changes all over the place and yet we will continue with the status quo, don't kid yourselves or think for a second we will add any premier talent this off-season.

Old
06-06-2010, 06:46 PM
fightclubber25

lets make some more excuses for what we've witnessed in the last 4 years. nothing to see here, move along. im sure everything will work out, gotta trust the guys upstairs.. hey, pass that purple stuff. MMmMMMM

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
lets make some more excuses for what we've witnessed in the last 4 years. nothing to see here, move along. im sure everything will work out, gotta trust the guys upstairs.. hey, pass that purple stuff. MMmMMMM
Purple stuff? Don't tell me we're all out of Sunny D.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
There's a difference between making excuses and passing the kool-aid vs. looking at each situation objectively and judging it on merit.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Brilliant!

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

The effect on the can is just too perfect for this board.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote