HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Old
06-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
I am cool with this............no over paying UFA's , go with the talented prospect list and let them earn it

I dont mind Prospal at all on a one year and nice to see Parenteau may be rewarded for his play at the end of the year

So lets just assume they get Lombardi on the cheap( I still think they need a C for Gaborik )

Dubinsky, Lombardi, Gaborik
Prospal, Anismov, Callahan
Avery, Christiensen, MZA
Prust, Drury, Shelley
Boyle

thats my F group. Much of the same but at least they stick to the youth. Ugh Drury 4th line C. They have to trade him if at all possible. Another miracle dump in salary would do wonders
. Then waive Redden..............that's a dream I know

Last edited by Vitto79: 06-06-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

It's a little disappointing that Sather didn't mention Brandon Prust.

Brooks threw his name in with the list of players. But Sather didn't.

Prust was by far the best player on the ice in several of the last five games or so. Probably all of those games.

The guy brings something to this team which it sorely lacks.

He should be very high on the list, right after Staal and Girardi.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't see Christensen as a must sign or of any significance at all. Okay, sure. if they can get him back for very cheap. Then do it and see how he does. Otherwise, I'd rather see them go after someone else for offensive production.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Very happy he won't get rid of the youth and will let the youth take spots on the roster... At least he says that.

Shouldn't bother wasting valuable cap space on fringe players like Shelley and Prust. The honeymoon phase will wear off very quickly.

There is absolutely no reason at all that Shelley and Prust should be considered ahead of Byers and Weise who are younger, and more skilled offensively. This is the contradiction with what Sather is saying, how would our young guys get first crack (like he says) if he's going to clog up all the spots with fringe meaningless 4th and 3rd line players.

And Prospal will be a mistake if its anything more then ONE year. He only took the deal he did last year because he was still being paid substantially by Tampa Bay.

Just re-sign Staal, Girardi, and Christensen, guys who could be considered part of the future and the plan. Let the other UFAs and RFAs walk, they mean nothing to the future of the organization.

Another thing, are we really going to waste Lundqvist's and Gaborik's prime years and look to be a contender when they're no longer in the prime of their careers?

There is no reason to conceed to mediocrity while we let the youth develop.

This is what bothers me, pick a plan and stay with it. Either rebuild or try to contend, don't go half way.

If we are going to rebuild, then what is the point of holding on to our two biggest trade chips? We could get both #1 and #2 overall and more in ANY draft with Lundqvist and Gaborik. What would Edmonton give up for Lundqvist? #1 and Eberle/MPS? What would Boston give up for Gaborik? #2 and ?

Or, we could bury Redden, get rid of Voros, Brashear, Shelley, Prust and all the fringe players taking up valuable cap space, sign Kovalchuk, and look to contend while the prospects develop.

I don't mind either route. But pick one and REALLY do it. Don't half ass it.

Want to rebuild, then rebuild.

Want to contend, then contend.

Want to contend AND let the youth develop, then do it.

Don't be stuck and content with mediocrity until Lundqvist and Gaborik aren't top end players anymore. Put a contender around them or trade them. Don't waste their prime years.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
It's a little disappointing that Sather didn't mention Brandon Prust.

Brooks threw his name in with the list of players. But Sather didn't.

Prust was by far the best player on the ice in several of the last five games or so. Probably all of those games.

The guy brings something to this team which it sorely lacks.

He should be very high on the list, right after Staal and Girardi.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't see Christensen as a must sign or of any significance at all. Okay, sure. if they can get him back for very cheap. Then do it and see how he does. Otherwise, I'd rather see them go after someone else for offensive production.
the reason i think Sather didnt meantion Prust is cause he is an RFA and should sign cheap so most likely he will be back. i think sather mainly named the UFA and the RFA that can get an offer sheet from another team. i doubt a team is willing to lose draft picks over Brandon Prust

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:33 AM
satrabyk

This is all fine and great words, but the point is this should have been said 3 or 4 years ago. This should have happened after the summer they lost to Buffalo before they overpaid and ruined the team. Basically hes had just too many chances i cant see how people give into him. Also if there is a summer we need a signing it is this summer. I love letting young players play, but we are still missing substantial talnet up front and if we dont add a very skilled 1 or 2 forwards whether that could be a young guy or not we are in for a long year, much worse than last. Prospal will be a mistake to sign, just be happy what you got from him and let him go, dont pay him more to do less this year. See what Sather has done to this team is when we need some major reconstruction (ridding contract, adding skill, adding D), this is not the year after we miss the playoffs to say this. There is a reason we missed the playoffs and with other teams only playing better next year without Olympics it will be a tough year without some strong additions.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Shouldn't bother wasting valuable cap space on fringe players like Shelley and Prust. The honeymoon phase will wear off very quickly.

There is absolutely no reason at all that Shelley and Prust should be considered ahead of Byers and Weise who are younger, and more skilled offensively. This is the contradiction with what Sather is saying, how would our young guys get first crack (like he says) if he's going to clog up all the spots with fringe meaningless 4th and 3rd line players.
Disagree here - at the right price, I think they're good additions who really fit in last year. If Weise can crack the third line, great - and it has no impact on our 4th liners. If not, why are we going to pay him more than Prust to see if he can be as good on the 4th?

Quote:
And Prospal will be a mistake if its anything more then ONE year. He only took the deal he did last year because he was still being paid substantially by Tampa Bay.
Absolutely 100% agreed.

Quote:
Just re-sign Staal, Girardi, and Christensen, guys who could be considered part of the future and the plan. Let the other UFAs and RFAs walk, they mean nothing to the future of the organization.

Another thing, are we really going to waste Lundqvist's and Gaborik's prime years and look to be a contender when they're no longer in the prime of their careers?

This is what bothers me, pick a plan and stay with it. Either rebuild or try to contend, don't go half way.

If we are going to rebuild, then what is the point of holding on to our two biggest trade chips? We could get both #1 and #2 overall and more in ANY draft with Lundqvist and Gaborik. What would Edmonton give up for Lundqvist? #1 and Eberle/MPS? What would Boston give up for Gaborik? #2 and ?

Or, we could bury Redden, get rid of Voros, Brashear, Shelley, Prust and all the fringe players taking up valuable cap space, sign Kovalchuk, and look to contend while the prospects develop.

Don't be stuck and content with mediocrity until Lundqvist and Gaborik aren't top end players anymore. Put a contender around them or trade them. Don't waste their prime years.
Comletely agreed. Don't know that upper management would approve option 1, but in my opinion, you either got all the way one way or the other. Don't half-ass it.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-06-2010 at 09:43 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Very happy he won't get rid of the youth and will let the youth take spots on the roster... At least he says that.

You make good points, simple Sather has no idea how to rebuild. When he starts mentioning resigning Prospal, that is when i laugh. But Prust that guy earned another year man and so did Shelly, they should NOT be OVERPAID but they earned a chance this year no doubt. I would also let Christ walk and that is where a young player like Grachev could fill in or even Stepan if ready.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Great news that he wants to build the organization with prospects and homegrown players, IMO, this makes this years draft pick an even bigger deal. If we play our cards right, we can maybe get that 35-40 goal scorer we need. In Clark we trust!

I was also happy to see that he didn't want to overpay free agents. (who knows if he'll stick to his word though) I'm still hoping that this doesn't stop him from going to try and sign Kovy to a LT deal. If his cap hit would count for anything more then 9M , then just pull out of the bidding and just fill the rest of our line up our younger players in the system. If he could get Kovy on the books with a cap hit no higher then 9M, then you can still fill the rest of the line up with what he originally wanted, homegrown players.

EDIT- Anybody else a little shocked that LB didn't ask Sather about signing Kovalchuk?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
The point is, lets not jump the gun and actually believe that we will roll out seven rookies this season. Grachev, Sanguinetti, McDonaugh, Stepan, Weise, Byers, Zuccarello Aasen cannot all be a Ranger by next season. I say 2-3 guys maximum.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
The Mouth

You know, I dont believe a word anyone says in this organization except Adam Graves and Gordie Clark.

It's all spin and what they think the truth is at the moment.

10 years of this dysfunction, and I'm suppose to think slats has got a plan ?

No way.

Frankly, I think he knows the rangers have limited cap space and is just using this youth movement as a buffer to appease the fans when we do nothing significant with UFA signings.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:50 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
You make good points, simple Sather has no idea how to rebuild. When he starts mentioning resigning Prospal, that is when i laugh. But Prust that guy earned another year man and so did Shelly, they should NOT be OVERPAID but they earned a chance this year no doubt. I would also let Christ walk and that is where a young player like Grachev could fill in or even Stepan if ready.
Christensen isn't young? He has at worst pretty decent chemistry with Gaborik and won't make over 1 million. No sense in dropping him

Stepan won't make the team (and anyway, he said he's going back to college), and Grachev is a long-shot for next season

I don't care that Sather has a "plan". I want to see him actually implement it successfully for a chance

Get rid of Redden would probably be the most senseful thing this team can do over the summer. It will open up a lot of options for the team. But I think Sather will chicken out

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Rust Heisenberg

considering the rangers power play point problem you have to anticipate that sanguinetti will be up this season. however, he's a bit of a defensive liability. they also need a defenseman that will be tough and gritty and true to his defensive position.

the fact that sather was saying he'd be primarily looking to fix the team in house is a very good thing. while kovalchuk is SO tempting the need to hold back is needed.

signing kovalchuk will prevent open spots for our young players, signing kovalchuk will prevent using that available cap space for the other gaping holes on this team.

i think we'll see 3 open spots on defense this season going into camp.

1) i think rosival is traded for a 5th or 6th.
2) i think gilroy is traded for a player like wheeler or similar style of play. however, i don't know what kind of vacancy boston has on their defense, i know they just resigned seidenberg to a 4 year contract.
3) i think redden is waived during training camp.

that clears up an additional 11.5 mill in spending for the rangers. to combine with the current 9.5 or so.

1.8 will go to girardi.
2.7 will go to staal.
4.4 will go to hamhuis.
1.1 will go to McD
0.9 will go to Sangs.

rangers have around another available 9 mill after that.

prust will be resigned for about 0.7 mill.
christensen will be resigned for about the same so 0.7 mill.
callahan will resign for around 2.8.
i think sather will make 1 or 2 more trades. so gilroy and let's say bourque for wheeler. then also sauer and like next year's 2nd for radulov.

that takes arounda nother 3-4 mill off the available cap. so around 4.5 is left roughly. prospal, shelley, and jokinen will be let go. MZA (1.7) + Grachev(1.1) will make the team this season in my opinion as well. I don't think Sather will be able to sign Stepan this season, but next season i see him taking Christensen's spot on the roster. So now you'll have around 1-2 mill left in available cap space. And i havent really even made any big free agent splashes besides Hamhuis.

MZA-Christensen-Gaborik
Radulov-Anisimov-Wheeler
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Grachev-Drury-Prust

Del Zotto-Hamhuis
Staal-Sanguinetti
McD-Girardi

Henrik
Johnson

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Does every thread have to be about Kovalchuk? You guys are more interested in him than most of the GM's in the NHL. Kovalchuk has the St.Petersberg offer in his pocket. 3 years/$30 million tax free.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:54 AM
FOXHOUND*

great. another thread that's gonna devolve into a kovalchuk debate.
he's not coming here.
it's time to let it go guys.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Re-sign a 35 yr old coming off knee surgery? That could be bad. I hope Prospal has another good yr for us... but I don't see it.

Not OVER-PAYING for free agents is a good thing but I'll eat my hat if Sather doesn't do something this off season (besides shopping Huggybear, who will NOT be moved).

If Glen is hoping that salvation for the upcoming season will be found in Hartford he's more senile than I thought. I'm not saying there isn't potential there (certainly down the road a yr or two)... but from what I understand not one of them is ready.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

"we are certainly not going to overpay for free agents."

Heard that one before- then he signed Brashear.

I wont be happy until hes gone. He can wax poetic all he wants about the youth movement - but the reality of the situation is that hes forced to go that route anyway because of the bad contracts hes handed out. He doesnt HAVE the luxury of overpaying for anyone. Slats isn't brainwashing me here.

Take a hike...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
"we are certainly not going to overpay for free agents."

Heard that one before- then he signed Brashear.

I wont be happy until hes gone. He can wax poetic all he wants about the youth movement - but the reality of the situation is that hes forced to go that route anyway because of the bad contracts hes handed out. He doesnt HAVE the luxury of overpaying for anyone. Slats isn't brainwashing me here.

Take a hike...
He didn't overpay Brashear. His mistake was giving Brashear a 2nd year when he was a 35 plus player.

Old
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
You know, I dont believe a word anyone says in this organization except Adam Graves and Gordie Clark.

No way.

Frankly, I think he knows the rangers have limited cap space and is just using this youth movement as a buffer to appease the fans when we do nothing significant with UFA signings.
Bingo. Its all convenient propaganda. The Blackhawks are SO young, look what they're doing! Youth movement yaaay! Be sure to renew your ticket plans!

Uh, we have no Canes or Toewes or Keiths here.

Old
06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He didn't overpay Brashear. His mistake was giving Brashear a 2nd year when he was a 35 plus player.
Thats overpayment isnt it?

Giving a contract out that isnt fulfilled ?

Old
06-06-2010, 10:02 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Does every thread have to be about Kovalchuk? You guys are more interested in him than most of the GM's in the NHL. Kovalchuk has the St.Petersberg offer in his pocket. 3 years/$30 million tax free.
I guess it does.

However, the rumored KHL offer is laughable. The $10m per year in Russia is not tax free: Russia's income tax rate is 13%, the highest bracket (federal) in the U.S. is 35%. The $ offer is respectable (nothing earth-shattering), but 3 years is pathetic. There's no question Kovalchuk will get a more lucrative contract from at least one NHL team (probably several).

Quote:
signing kovalchuk will prevent open spots for our young players, signing kovalchuk will prevent using that available cap space for the other gaping holes on this team.
Yet you want to trade assets for Radulov and Wheeler? How is not preventing open spots for our young players (not to mention you're going to be giving up our young players to get those players)? Signing Kovalchuk forces you to plug those open spots with our young players. Spreading that money over multiple positions means the young players aren't playing.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Christensen isn't young? He has at worst pretty decent chemistry with Gaborik and won't make over 1 million. No sense in dropping him

Stepan won't make the team (and anyway, he said he's going back to college), and Grachev is a long-shot for next season

I don't care that Sather has a "plan". I want to see him actually implement it successfully for a chance

Get rid of Redden would probably be the most senseful thing this team can do over the summer. It will open up a lot of options for the team. But I think Sather will chicken out
They can't get rid of Redden over the summer.

Old
06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I guess it does.

However, the rumored KHL offer is laughable. The $10m per year in Russia is not tax free: Russia's income tax rate is 13%, the highest bracket (federal) in the U.S. is 35%. The $ offer is respectable (nothing earth-shattering), but 3 years is pathetic. There's no question Kovalchuk will get a more lucrative contract from at least one NHL team (probably several).
The reports indicated the money is tax free for Kovalchuk.

Lombardi talking about the KHL offers. What does Lombardi know? He's only been in the hockey business for 20 years.

Quote:
St. Petersburg also reportedly made an offer to Kings forward Alexander Frolov, and GM Dean Lombardi was concerned about the effect of finances overseas.

"The other thing we're confronting here, don't forget, is the KHL, and they're offering an awful lot of money, tax-free," Lombardi told an Edmonton radio station. "It's almost like the WHA days, where the difference in dollars is huge."
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblo...WsyF0QInn0qf3M

We'll see.

Which teams and what will they offer?

Old
06-06-2010, 10:12 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

''we're not going to overpay for free agents..."

Ok, Glen, that means our own free agents, also... ie: Dan Girardi...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:15 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post

No way.

Jesus Christ, if the old cigar chomper is just going to spew the same old ***** he should just maintain his media silence. Reading this just makes me angrier.

What a crock. Fire Sather! Dolan is an idiot.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Janerixon

Quote:

AA said his play improved at the end of the year because he felt comfortable playing with Shelley and Prust, he felt protected and they did a lot of the board work allowing him to get open and finish chances. We havent had a line like that since the HBO line and even they never produced points like the SAP line during the stretch run.

Prust did what Avery could not do consistently, put up points, forecheck, stand up for teammates and avoid the penalty box. I am all for Prust being brought back, just hopefully on a proper 4th line role with Shelley

as for Prospal, he still has another year or two of collecting money from Tampa Bay, I kind of figured he was on the way out to be honest. I don't think he was at 100% during the stretch run and it showed just like it did for Gaborik and Christensen. If he is willing to take 1.5 million for a year then he can come back IMO, but as has been stated in other threads, he may be looking to get a bigger increase considering it may be the end for him, if thats the case I'd rather we trade for Wheeler or Versteeg.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote