HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Old
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

vCash: 500
I'm pretty surprised he named Weise among all the other prospects/guys in Hartford.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

So... basically he's going to ice the same team and hope for a different result? (this does not mean I condone big free agent signings).

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
considering the rangers power play point problem you have to anticipate that sanguinetti will be up this season. however, he's a bit of a defensive liability. they also need a defenseman that will be tough and gritty and true to his defensive position.

the fact that sather was saying he'd be primarily looking to fix the team in house is a very good thing. while kovalchuk is SO tempting the need to hold back is needed.

signing kovalchuk will prevent open spots for our young players, signing kovalchuk will prevent using that available cap space for the other gaping holes on this team.

i think we'll see 3 open spots on defense this season going into camp.

1) i think rosival is traded for a 5th or 6th.
2) i think gilroy is traded for a player like wheeler or similar style of play. however, i don't know what kind of vacancy boston has on their defense, i know they just resigned seidenberg to a 4 year contract.
3) i think redden is waived during training camp.

that clears up an additional 11.5 mill in spending for the rangers. to combine with the current 9.5 or so.

1.8 will go to girardi.
2.7 will go to staal.
4.4 will go to hamhuis.
1.1 will go to McD
0.9 will go to Sangs.

rangers have around another available 9 mill after that.

prust will be resigned for about 0.7 mill.
christensen will be resigned for about the same so 0.7 mill.
callahan will resign for around 2.8.
i think sather will make 1 or 2 more trades. so gilroy and let's say bourque for wheeler. then also sauer and like next year's 2nd for radulov.

that takes arounda nother 3-4 mill off the available cap. so around 4.5 is left roughly. prospal, shelley, and jokinen will be let go. MZA (1.7) + Grachev(1.1) will make the team this season in my opinion as well. I don't think Sather will be able to sign Stepan this season, but next season i see him taking Christensen's spot on the roster. So now you'll have around 1-2 mill left in available cap space. And i havent really even made any big free agent splashes besides Hamhuis.

MZA-Christensen-Gaborik
Radulov-Anisimov-Wheeler
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Grachev-Drury-Prust

Del Zotto-Hamhuis
Staal-Sanguinetti
McD-Girardi

Henrik
Johnson

Rozy could have gotten us a much better pick than a 5th or 6th round draft pick. We just traded a 6th for Niemi, so you think thats what we would get back for a top 4 d-man who is signed for 2 more seasons?

Also Girardi and Staal will get much larger raises, expect to see Girardi get at least 3 million and Staal to get 4 and change. I want Hamhuis signed as well and I hope 4.4 could bring him here as long as its not for 6 years redden style.

Callahan is signed for 2.3 million for next season... so not sure if you have him confused with someone else?

I don't see gilroy going to Bruins at this point, signing Seidenberg and its not like they have much room to play with, sanguinetti would be the player i could see being traded along with a pick for wheeler.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Yeah, okay, Sather... We trust you on July 1st with Plekanec and Marleau...

I love the quote of Staal and Girardi. They are a part of our defensive core.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Somehow LB got Rangers czar Glen Sather to address his minions in Rangerland

Sather says Huggy is history. Wouldn't discuss his plans for Brashear.

Quote from Pat Morris who reps Shelley who wants to return to the Rangers.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Great job by LB getting Sather to finally discuss this stuff. The Rangers season only ended 7 weeks ago. What was the rush?

Wow. It sounds like they may really have a plan to develop their own players into these key holes..... growing pains for us fans, but it's a worthy plan.

Still think if there's anyway Sather can turn Redden into Kovalchuk.... well I guess thats a signing that falls into a deal that makes sense. At least you could argue thats money better spent....

06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
RangerBlues

I'm thinking this is going to be a two year rebuild in progress.
Redden has to be gone.
This draft pick needs to work out and be on this team in 1-2 years.
You can ride out Drurys contract and perhaps find a trade partner.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

You have to wonder what the man who signed Drury, Gomez, and Redden to those monumentally idiotic contracts considers "overpaying."

"Marleau wants $8 million? Madness! Ten years at $7.5 is as high as I'll go"

Grumpy Humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I will also say this. Sather doesn't just lightly give LB an interview to show all his cards moving towards the draft and July 1st. He says little, but when he does say stuff there is a directive behind it. This is just as well a message to the players agents. We want to build a great team, we are willing to spend "IF" its the right $$$ for the right guy, who want to be here. But, we are also fine developing from within at this point and time.

This is actually a very sane and strong message to send and follow through with. Imo

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 06-06-2010 at 11:36 AM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
You have to wonder what the man who signed Drury, Gomez, and Redden to those monumentally idiotic contracts considers "overpaying."

That's why his statement regarding free agency is meaningless to me. It sounds good, so I have a little hope... BUT IT'S FREAKING SATHER! He's a joke.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
''we're not going to overpay for free agents..."

Ok, Glen, that means our own free agents, also... ie: Dan Girardi...
Amen to that!

Old
06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Very happy he won't get rid of the youth and will let the youth take spots on the roster... At least he says that.

Shouldn't bother wasting valuable cap space on fringe players like Shelley and Prust. The honeymoon phase will wear off very quickly.

There is absolutely no reason at all that Shelley and Prust should be considered ahead of Byers and Weise who are younger, and more skilled offensively. This is the contradiction with what Sather is saying, how would our young guys get first crack (like he says) if he's going to clog up all the spots with fringe meaningless 4th and 3rd line players.
Valuable cap space? How much do you think we'd be saving by replacing them with Byers and Weise? 200k at most.

If Byers and Weise earn a spot on the team, they will get a spot on the team. They aren't going to be handed a roster spot.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
dethomas07

response to trading gaborik or hank

bc rangers arent in rebuild mode.. we missed the playoffs by 1 point and look at the flyers straight up brutal all season long and look where theyre at, the biggest stage in hockey. rangers just are actually getting the hint now that its important to groom your young players for now and the future, and plus we never have seen what we could get out of our younger players bc weve always spent $$$$$$$ to get the most prized FA or trade our prospects for washed up big names (Lindross, Bure, ect...) Trading Hank and Gaborik would be the dumbest thing we could possibly do.. they are both in their primes and keep us competitive. Shelly is a role player with size (helps make this team tough) and with experience to help this team, and prust is 24/25 and elevated his game towards the end of the season to help this team for the better. these guys came in with little expectations and excelled when it was crunch time.. they can help this team and i am all for signing them..

Staal, Girardi, Christensen, Prust, Shelly should all be signed

Byers, Weise, PA, Sangs should all be given a shot to make the big club (competition is good to push everyones game up)

McDonagh, Stephan, Grachev if ready should also be given a chance if ready

Voros, Brashear, Lisin, Olli shouldnt be back ofcourse

Prospal for around 1.5m is perfect not a cent more (rather see young guys play)

Gilroy should be given one more chance if not then we dont resign him in the offseason=trade for picks/prospects (promote from within with Sangs)

Ofcourse Dreaden AHL bound or bought out (1,916,000 cap hit? something like that)

try trade rosi, and Dury isnt going anywhere which is sad but i think he needs to be in more situations then just PK but in front on the PP he was on a little tear towards the end of the season, and i think he can rebound from last year back up to the 40+ point range with minimum 20g (still not getting production for the $$ but it is what it is)

Kovy would be great addition for the right price but i dont think its happening

Hamhuis, Martin, Volchenkov would be good if we could trade rosi and pick up one of these guys

Redden's $$ used for talented forwards Kovy or space for getting wheeler, versteeg, buf

idk just giving my viewpoint far from the cure but some good things

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
So... basically he's going to ice the same team and hope for a different result? (this does not mean I condone big free agent signings).
I wouldn't characterize it that way. Even if we iced the same exact team, you have to expect that some of our younger guys will improve. And yes, maybe some of the older guys won't do as well, but this is a young team overall.

The bottom line is that this team isn't ready to compete for the cup. We need to get our cap situation under control and we need to allow our young guys to mature more. Only then should we be looking to free agency to add whatever pieces we are missing.

Old
06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't characterize it that way. Even if we iced the same exact team, you have to expect that some of our younger guys will improve. And yes, maybe some of the older guys won't do as well, but this is a young team overall.

The bottom line is that this team isn't ready to compete for the cup. We need to get our cap situation under control and we need to allow our young guys to mature more. Only then should we be looking to free agency to add whatever pieces we are missing.
I agree about the young guys "hopfully" improving... you'd also have to say that a few WILL regress. Rozi, Redden aren't gonna get much better... I have my doubts about Vinnie recovering from knee surgery at 35... and Drury will be more of the same IF we're lucky.

I'm not saying it's not the way to go... I just doubt the games will be much fun to watch this coming season. I just don't see where the goals are coming from. Unless MZA astounds us... which would be fantastic... but I'm not counting on it.

Old
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
That's why his statement regarding free agency is meaningless to me. It sounds good, so I have a little hope... BUT IT'S FREAKING SATHER! He's a joke.
Lundy
I agree with you, this is sather and I am worried that he will decide that he is going to waive redden at some point, we can be over the cap during training camp so he will sign a Marleau, Hamhuis, and Hedberg

Sather always signs at LEAST one awful player a year

last year it was Brash, Kotalik, and Arnasson

The year before it Was Redden

Before that we had Drury and Gomez

and who can forget the Mark Malik, Dave Karpa, Igor Ulanov, etc etc etc signings

Sather said all the right things, heck he said everything i said in my posts for the last 2 months except that he intends to bring prospal back, i just figured he would trade for a Versteeg or Wheeler or someone else since Prospal is due a pay increase

He is not going to tell us all his plans, but when UFA starts he has to just go after a top 4 d-man say Hamhuis, Martin, Volchenkov, Michalek, etc and a back up goalie

we all KNOW he will inquire about Marleau and Plekanec those are total Sather UFA signings

lets see if his "talk" with brooks are for real

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The reports indicated the money is tax free for Kovalchuk.

Lombardi talking about the KHL offers. What does Lombardi know? He's only been in the hockey business for 20 years.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblo...WsyF0QInn0qf3M

We'll see.

Which teams and what will they offer?
RB, you know I respect you're opinions and especially the info you bring to the board, but weren't you the one who was poking fun at the Boston front office for not knowing the CBA of their own league in regards to the Thomas contract? And yet you assume that a throwaway comment from a hockey GM in LA regarding the tax rates for wealthy individuals in Russia is accurate?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:32 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Whoever suggested trading Gaborik and Lundqvist for the #1/2 this year is crazy.

First of all, these are your best players with which you build a team around. Yes, you can start from scratch and try to pull a major overhaul/rebuild, but then you probably turn into the Isles. They have been rebuilding for how long now? Look what they have to show for it. A good core of young guys that with the right FA additions could compete for a playoff spot. There is NO WAY Sather goes down that route. It's always going to be a win now mentality at the Garden. Anyway, the Rangers already have a solid core of prospects to build around.

Secondly, Boston/Edmonton are not trading this year's picks for them. They are set on taking one of Hall/Seguin. They would definitely be willing to trade FUTURE first round picks for them, but that is not a risk worth taking since there is no idea how high that draft pick would be or what kind of player would be available then.

Sather should stay the course as he says in this interview. In 3-4 years, when Gaborik/Lundqvist are near the end of their contracts, Staal and Del Zotto will be three years older. Other key pieces which the Rangers lack in the pipeline can be secured via free agency. Specifically, a #1 center, secondary defensemen, and a top-6 forward or two. With the hope that our prospects develop well, some good signings, and a little luck, I don't see why this team can't make a deep playoff run in that time.

With regards to Redden. I think he will be on the roster to start the season. With that kind of major investment, I think he has to get another chance. The Rangers aren't ready to make a run next season anyway. If it doesn't work out he can play out the remainder of his contract in the minors, or maybe even a buy-out is in order. Hopefully even an amnesty buyout clause in the new CBA. That would be swell.

*Fun fact: As of right now, Yashin is the highest paid player on the Islanders payroll going into next season.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Whoever suggested trading Gaborik and Lundqvist for the #1/2 this year is crazy.

First of all, these are your best players with which you build a team around. Yes, you can start from scratch and try to pull a major overhaul/rebuild, but then you probably turn into the Isles. They have been rebuilding for how long now? Look what they have to show for it.
The islanders are a bad comparison because they only spend to the cap floor. I agree that there's no way Hank or Gabby get traded, but it's not as crazy as you think. I'm not saying I'd advocate doing it, and we probably couldn't get both the 1st and 2nd overall for them (given their cap hits, unless we are taking significant contract back), but you have to consider the idea that it may be a few years before we are able to surround them with the necessary talent to win. They won't be old by then, but they won't be young either.

Both have 4 years left on their contracts. Depending on our situation in that final year, it may end up being in our best interest to trade one or both of them. I don't think we're that far off though. I think we have some good young players coming up. They just need time to mature. And we need to fix our cap situation. 2 years from now we could be in a much better situation if we play our cards right and don't overspend.

Old
06-06-2010, 01:00 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I don't think the KHL is going to be as big as a factor when it comes down to signing Russian players. Haven't two teams failed in the last two years, including one of the leagues most storied franchises. That combined with all the problems Europe has been having with its debt. I know that Russia doesn't use the Euro, but it's massive fall in value over the past month or two is huge.

The United States isn't fully out of this thing yet (we are in a correction right now) and Europe is having some serious issues still, I don't know what Russia's economic status right now, but it can't be better then it is right now here in the U.S.

Great take a 3 year contract worth $10 million tax free, when in year two your team or league for that matter falls apart.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:28 PM
nyr2417

i think what sather was also trying to state was that he is looking to only sign stop-gap players that won't be around too long. i.e. pavol demetria on something like a 2 year deal.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Sathers been true to his word regarding our prospects. He hasn't moved our young guys. He hasn't split up the core. Talking about the Dubi's, Cally's, Staal's, etc.

He didn't go crazy last summer in free agency either. He made his typical bone-headed move with Brash and Kots, but those don't have the long term implications as some of his other mistakes.

We can criticize him all we want for his past free agent signings, but Sather hasn't done what we all thought he would do with our young guys. If he continues that trend, and gets a little pickier when it comes down to UFA's, we might be all right in a year or two.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Ke11y96

"...If we can improve with a signing that makes sense, we’ll look into it, but we want to give our guys the first shot.”

With all the talk of staying in the team, and not over paying for free agents is this Glen the Masterful Trading time? With Rozy having some value due to his salary vs cap number, and the still likely maneuver of Redden to the minors, is Glen referring to a shallow free agency crop and perhaps looking else where? I think its fair to say one of Gilroy or Sanguinetti will be moved, for what idk, however paired with a second round pick could bring back a winger.

If the list of young guys and roster players not moving are as follows where are the holes?

Dubinsky- Christensen/UFA/Trade?-Gaborik
Grachev/UFA/Prospal?-Anisimov-MZA
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Shelley - Boyle - Prust

So as to where the placement of Weise or Byers fit I'm not to sure. I'm not sure but can't MZA play either wing? So first line center if they management doesn't think Christensen will be the answer for a full season. With potential of throwing Stepan to the wolves if he signs..

Staal-UFA
Del Zotto - Girardi
McDonagh-Sangs/Gilroy/Sauer/Valentenko/UFA/

Lundqvist
Hedberg (I'm willing to bet a veteran swede that plays great at the garden is a guaranteed signing)

I think if he can move Rozy for a draft pick he will and end up signing Volchenkov for the 5 million he paid Rozy giving us a great shut down pair in Staal and Volchenkov. I think the last Pair of D will be McDonagh I think he'll sign, along with the winner out of camp, but this also depends on a trade of perhaps one of those potential sixth D-men.

Personally It'll be interesting to see how its filled out, one more left winger, perhaps a top centerman, and a top four dman. The 12 million or so to spend will be enough to play with due to hopefully Redden's banishing to the minors because I highly doubt Staal & Girardi cost more combined than what Redden's 6.5.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
nyr2417

if you think about it if we really want to get younger we can rid of shelley and have a 4th line of something like prust-boyle-weise/byers. everyone talks about how the flyers are so tough but they really don't have a heavy, so carrying a heavy is something we can go without. carcillo, laperriere, fartsmell, and asham are their fighters. I think we'll be fine with prust, weise/byers, avery, voros as 13th, and even dubi who is always willing.

4 signings: demetria, mza, foster, back up goalie

dubi-demetria-gaborik
grachev(dream)/prospal-anisimov-mza
avery-drury-cally
prust-boyle-weise/byers
voros

staal-girardi
roszival-mdz
foster-sangs/gilroy

Last edited by nyr2417: 06-06-2010 at 01:42 PM.
nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post

hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAH.

Call me optimistic, but I think he actually means it this time.
I mean... he's done pretty much everything there is to do wrong in free agency... maybe the trial days are finally over? (only took 10 years)

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:38 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
i think what sather was also trying to state was that he is looking to only sign stop-gap players that won't be around too long. i.e. pavol demetria on something like a 2 year deal.
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, NO two year deals for players 35 and over anymore. Demitra is 35 going on 36 (In November). Especially when he's coming off an injury plegued year. I'd take him on a one year deal on the cheap, and that's it.

Same goes for Prospal. Since Sather has stated that he wants to go with Christiansen (At least that is what I got from the article in the other thread), I don't see the Rangers signing Demitra, unless it's to center the 2nd line because they don't feel Anisimov is ready for top 6 minutes yet. Move Drury to the wing on the 3rd line with AA centering it.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote