HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Anton Rodin

Old
06-06-2010, 10:18 AM
IComeInPeace

vCash: 500
Re: Jeremy Price
He was 1 of only 2 18 yr olds on his Colgate team.

The other guy, Thomas Larkin, is also a d-man.

Larkin was a 5th Rd pick in 2009, and actually outscored Price (by 5 points).

But, Thomas Larkin is a 6'5" and 220+ pound behemoth.

I don't know anything else about Larkin aside from the numbers, but if he can skate, he could be a nice draft pick by the Jackets.

Just reading Larkin's scouting report going into this yr...it says he is a good skater and has a good shot.
He was born it London (or Italy, depending on the source) and spent most of his life in Italy learning the game of hockey.

He looks like he could be a really nice 5th round pick.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
Re: Jeremy Price
He was 1 of only 2 18 yr olds on his Colgate team.

The other guy, Thomas Larkin, is also a d-man.

Larkin was a 5th Rd pick in 2009, and actually outscored Price (by 5 points).

But, Thomas Larkin is a 6'5" and 220+ pound behemoth.

I don't know anything else about Larkin aside from the numbers, but if he can skate, he could be a nice draft pick by the Jackets.

Just reading Larkin's scouting report going into this yr...it says he is a good skater and has a good shot.
He was born it London (or Italy, depending on the source) and spent most of his life in Italy learning the game of hockey.

He looks like he could be a really nice 5th round pick.
When I started following Colgate, after Price got drafted, I always wondered about Larkin, and why we didn't draft him. It's so hard to evaluate these guys with only a few raw stats.

However, somebody else (besides the pro teams involved) did evaluate the Colgate D at season's end: Colgate. Price was co-winner of the Best Defenseman ("Barrel") award, along with a guy from an older class. That's quite something in NCAA hockey, so far as I know: a freshman winning (part of) the team's Best D award. In their judgment, apparently, while Larkin had more points, Price was the better D.

Relative to his team, it's fair to say that Price had an outstanding freshman season.

IIRC both Connauton and Tanev had statistically more productive freshman seasons in the NCAA, but as we've seen with Price and Larkin, the stats aren't necessarily everything.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
However, somebody else (besides the pro teams involved) did evaluate the Colgate D at season's end: Colgate. Price was co-winner of the Best Defenseman ("Barrel") award, along with a guy from an older class. That's quite something in NCAA hockey, so far as I know: a freshman winning (part of) the team's Best D award. In their judgment, apparently, while Larkin had more points, Price was the better D.
That's awesome, I didn't know that.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Price was co-winner of the Best Defenseman ("Barrel") award, along with a guy from an older class. That's quite something in NCAA hockey, so far as I know: a freshman winning (part of) the team's Best D award. In their judgment, apparently, while Larkin had more points, Price was the better D.
That's great to hear.

My post wasn't necessarily a commentary on Price as it was on Larkin.
I think a guy with that kind of size, and apparently with good wheels, at that size (6'5" and 220 pounds) is an intriguing prospect.

I guess I was thinking if he was kind of off the radar because he grew up in Italy.

At any rate, I'm definitely excited about Price as a prospect. I think last seasons draft has the potential to be the best ever for the 'Nucks organization.

It seems like it has been a really, really long time since we have had this many prospects to be excited about, or at least have the potential to develop into serious prospects.

Throw in Tanev and Oberg who could develop, maybe even Sweatt, and it should be fun to follow some of these guys progression next yr.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Warren Piece

Larkin was also off teams radar because he was a nineteen year old playing high school hockey the year he was drafted.

Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote