HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Noel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2010, 01:17 PM
  #1
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Claude Noel

Looks like he is out as Jackets coach based on the offer made by Howson to an alternative. I think this is a huge break for the Preds as I could see Poile/Trotz nabbing him to be assistant coach to replace the Hore. It's clear we need something new to help on special teams and he has the trust of our organization.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
  #2
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Looks like he is out as Jackets coach based on the offer made by Howson to an alternative. I think this is a huge break for the Preds as I could see Poile/Trotz nabbing him to be assistant coach to replace the Hore. It's clear we need something new to help on special teams and he has the trust of our organization.
I agree. Trotz has already said publicly that if Noel didn't get the job in Columbus that he would welcome him back into the organization with open arms. With Coach Bouchard having moved on this summer, it wouldn't surprise me to see a third assistant added to the staff with the video coach position being converted into a specialty position...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
  #3
Que Sera Sera
Registered User
 
Que Sera Sera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
That's terrific news, I'd love to see Noel back with the Preds.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:23 PM
  #4
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Christmastime in June?

I wouldn't mind keeping him as an assistant (or AHL head coach), but it sounds like he wouldn't go for either. I dunno if he'd take an assistant's job in Nashville, but it's probably more likely there than anywhere else in the NHL.

If he does, I imagine it'll only help the rivalry.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
  #5
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,243
vCash: 400
*crosses fingers*

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
  #6
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
he never should have left. hope he comes back

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:59 PM
  #7
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
I would not complain if the guy can improve the PP%.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 06:51 PM
  #8
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I would not complain if the guy can improve the PP%.
Given that that job was taken away from him up here during the season of 9.6%... if I was looking to hire him, that would not be the reason.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:07 PM
  #9
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Given that that job was taken away from him up here during the season of 9.6%... if I was looking to hire him, that would not be the reason.
Well, the more cynical would say that's better than what the Preds had. LOL

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:20 PM
  #10
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
I'm not so convinced. Noel was in charge of the atrocious Columbus power play under Hitchock.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:13 PM
  #11
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Given that that job was taken away from him up here during the season of 9.6%... if I was looking to hire him, that would not be the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I'm not so convinced. Noel was in charge of the atrocious Columbus power play under Hitchock.
I'd still give him a shot. New voice bringing in different ideas on ways to improve the PP and offense. Noel was working under a dominant personality in Hitchcock who became tuned out by his team and eventually fired. Noel obviously had success post-Hitchcock when he was given control of the team and earned the immediate respect of the locker room.

Noel has a history with a lot of the players in the organization still and now has experience working as an assistant at the NHL level. I'd say he's grown since his time in Milwaukee and would be a good addition to the coaching staff here in Nashville next season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:37 PM
  #12
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'd still give him a shot. New voice bringing in different ideas on ways to improve the PP and offense. Noel was working under a dominant personality in Hitchcock who became tuned out by his team and eventually fired. Noel obviously had success post-Hitchcock when he was given control of the team and earned the immediate respect of the locker room.

Noel has a history with a lot of the players in the organization still and now has experience working as an assistant at the NHL level. I'd say he's grown since his time in Milwaukee and would be a good addition to the coaching staff here in Nashville next season...
In addition to this because he worked with the current crop of players in Milwaukee he knows there strengths. It would be a new but familiar voice in the coaching mix. Right now the team is built on B+ talent enough to make headway in the playoffs the main problem is running into damn good teams.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:23 AM
  #13
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
don't forget the columbus power play consisted of "here rick nash, wait at the blueline and we will pass it to you and stickhandle around 4 guys. if you are marked, we will dump it in and hope lightning strikes and they turn the puck over."

nash, like many gifted scorers is/was selfish. he wants to shoot shoot shoot. esp if he doesn't trust his teammates to finish off his passes. fight as well try himself. no amount of coaching in that situation up there could change that mentality. on a losing team, you take your best offensive player off the power play because he is selfish? not happening and he knew it.

if i remember right, noel ran a pretty successful ship up in milwaukee. you don't win championships without a clue as to what you are doing.

i'd give him the benefit of the doubt

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:33 PM
  #14
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
don't forget the columbus power play consisted of "here rick nash, wait at the blueline and we will pass it to you and stickhandle around 4 guys. if you are marked, we will dump it in and hope lightning strikes and they turn the puck over."

nash, like many gifted scorers is/was selfish. he wants to shoot shoot shoot. esp if he doesn't trust his teammates to finish off his passes. fight as well try himself. no amount of coaching in that situation up there could change that mentality. on a losing team, you take your best offensive player off the power play because he is selfish? not happening and he knew it.

if i remember right, noel ran a pretty successful ship up in milwaukee. you don't win championships without a clue as to what you are doing.

i'd give him the benefit of the doubt
Better than Nashville's power play strategy. "Get the puck to Weber, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." Or, for occasional variety, "Get the puck to Suter, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." And if you want to live TRULY dangerously, "Get the puck to Franson, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat."

In reality, ours was based a lot on winning board battles (which should sound familiar ), and we had (and still have) some good guys for that - Nash, Umberger, Torres while he was here, and Voracek was getting pretty good at it too. Our problem was that we had nothing resembling a decent point shot - Russell has an OK wrister, but he'll never be confused with a Weber or Souray or the like. Stralman's just barely better. So we were pretty much completely dependent on one of those board battles giving us the opportunity to pass to someone in the slot, or, failing that, shooting from the circles and praying.

This is one of several reasons why I am hoping we manage a trade for Souray in the offseason; we could use someone like him in this and other areas too.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
  #15
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Better than Nashville's power play strategy. "Get the puck to Weber, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." Or, for occasional variety, "Get the puck to Suter, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." And if you want to live TRULY dangerously, "Get the puck to Franson, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat."

In reality, ours was based a lot on winning board battles (which should sound familiar ), and we had (and still have) some good guys for that - Nash, Umberger, Torres while he was here, and Voracek was getting pretty good at it too. Our problem was that we had nothing resembling a decent point shot - Russell has an OK wrister, but he'll never be confused with a Weber or Souray or the like. Stralman's just barely better. So we were pretty much completely dependent on one of those board battles giving us the opportunity to pass to someone in the slot, or, failing that, shooting from the circles and praying.

This is one of several reasons why I am hoping we manage a trade for Souray in the offseason; we could use someone like him in this and other areas too.
you obviuosly haven't watched nashville enough. our powerplay strategy is 5 guys stand around own net, either erat or suter skate it out, turnover. all 5 back to d-zone, breakout, get to blueline, dump, turnover. line change. 5 guys back in d-zone, turn over at center red off an erat spin. go back, regroup, breakout sully stickhandles around 3 guys, 4th guy pokes it, turnover, line change, out comes smithson, goc, and ward to kill the last ten seconds of our pp.


never said ours was good or better. i think we have the worst in the league, statistics be darned.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:22 PM
  #16
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you obviuosly haven't watched nashville enough. our powerplay strategy is 5 guys stand around own net, either erat or suter skate it out, turnover. all 5 back to d-zone, breakout, get to blueline, dump, turnover. line change. 5 guys back in d-zone, turn over at center red off an erat spin. go back, regroup, breakout sully stickhandles around 3 guys, 4th guy pokes it, turnover, line change, out comes smithson, goc, and ward to kill the last ten seconds of our pp.


never said ours was good or better. i think we have the worst in the league, statistics be darned.
I was talking about strategy, not result.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:34 PM
  #17
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Better than Nashville's power play strategy. "Get the puck to Weber, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." Or, for occasional variety, "Get the puck to Suter, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." And if you want to live TRULY dangerously, "Get the puck to Franson, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat."
Yeah but the difference is Nash sucks and Weber doesn't

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:54 PM
  #18
codeyh
HFB Partner
 
codeyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cellblock 303
Country: United States
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Food for thought regarding the PP: Erat has the puck so much because nobody else is moving. Wait.. WAIT.. let that sink in before you respond, think about it.

I'm for anything that could improve Nashville's special teams, but with Noel getting a taste of the head coach position, you have to wonder what he's thinking for his next move.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:07 PM
  #19
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Food for thought regarding the PP: Erat has the puck so much because nobody else is moving. Wait.. WAIT.. let that sink in before you respond, think about it.

I'm for anything that could improve Nashville's special teams, but with Noel getting a taste of the head coach position, you have to wonder what he's thinking for his next move.
You have a few good points here. Here's my question, if the organization knows Noel has the tools to succeed as a head coach, does Trotz really want him here? Could he be viewed as a threat to take his job if things don't go well here? Also, if he's so valuable, he'll be gone in a season or two anyway if there are head coaching vacancies.

As far as Erat and the puck and lack of movement, this is one of my bigger complaints, lack of movement from guys with or without the puck. They don't have to be skating all over the place but move around some so that the defense actually has to work.

I'll coach the PP for nothing next year. OK, food, rent, gas money to and from the Sommet and the other basic bills but I'll do it for cheap. I will plant a guy in front of the net, no questions asked. If one guy won't do it, I'll find someone else that will. If you don't plant yourself in front of the net, you're off the PP. There need to be consequences with everything and that will be one of mine. Hornqvist has one slot, who'll be the other guy that wants to do it? I want to see guys stand up and take the bull by the horns. Let's see what they've got.

They'll work on faceoffs and controlling the puck off of the faceoff. They're gonna work on getting it to the point for quick shots while teams are trying to set up and we're gonna go for goals or rebounds off these point shots. If we can't get good shots, then we're gonna let the puck do the work until we find an open lane but if it goes back to the point more than 3 times without a shot, someone is getting an earful or pulled from the PP. I don't care who it is, you don't shoot you don't score, pretty simple. That's all for now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:35 PM
  #20
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I was talking about strategy, not result.
could hve fooled me. i have seen the same thing 11 years now. it has to be the strategy. kill 2 min and play 5 on 5.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
  #21
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
could hve fooled me. i have seen the same thing 11 years now. it has to be the strategy. kill 2 min and play 5 on 5.
Just remember, it's personnel, not the coaches. We just don't have the right pieces to be a successful team on the PP. We were good a few years ago, remember? <sarcasm off>

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
  #22
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
LOL, try both.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:22 PM
  #23
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Better than Nashville's power play strategy. "Get the puck to Weber, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." Or, for occasional variety, "Get the puck to Suter, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat." And if you want to live TRULY dangerously, "Get the puck to Franson, shoot, collect the rebound. Repeat."
This is completely untrue.

The strategy is, "Get the puck to Weber who has his shot blocked out high and turns the puck over, leading to an odd-man rush."

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:37 PM
  #24
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
This is completely untrue.

The strategy is, "Get the puck to Weber who has his shot blocked out high and turns the puck over, leading to an odd-man rush."
Again, I'm only discussing what the planned strategy is, not the typical result.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
  #25
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Again, I'm only discussing what the planned strategy is, not the typical result.
We don't even have a strategy unless you call it losing the faceoff and not being able to set up in the offensive zone. I guess that's a strategy as well but not a very good one.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.