HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames 2005 draft evaluation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
  #1
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,973
vCash: 500
Flames 2005 draft evaluation

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ft_evaluation/

All I can say is....ouch.

So far Pelech is the only guy that marginally looks like he can make the Flames as a depth player. Brett Sutter maybe as an energy guy maybe.

But this is the draft we missed out on guys like James Neal, Stastny, Vlasic, Raymond, Letang, Quick, Yandle, Strahlman.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
  #2
Ace Rimmer
Moderator
What a guy!
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mimas Test Facility
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 27799
All I can say is

"The Flames had a bad draft in a bad draft year?! OH NOES!"

Seriously. Nine players drafted below #26 overall have played more than 200 games. Of those, there's only one who I can somewhat shake my head over missing - and that's Paul Stastny. Especially given the Flames' history of sometimes drafting by pedigree...

Ace Rimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:49 PM
  #3
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Of those, there's only one who I can somewhat shake my head over missing - and that's Paul Stastny. Especially given the Flames' history of sometimes drafting by pedigree...

I guess you never heard of James Neal, Vlasic or Letang....even Quick, Latendresse, Pavelec, Niskanen, Raymond, Yandle are 100% better than what the Flames got....take about blind homerism.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
  #4
Ace Rimmer
Moderator
What a guy!
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mimas Test Facility
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 27799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
I guess you never heard of James Neal, Vlasic or Letang....even Quick, Latendresse, Pavelec, Niskanen, Raymond, Yandle are 100% better than what the Flames got....take about blind homerism.
No, it's not homerism, I just don't care. Those types of players are overlooked in every draft.

Either way, it's still better than being a crybaby pessimist, whining about missed opportunities and finding failure in everything...

Ace Rimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:27 PM
  #5
Treliving The Dream
Registered User
 
Treliving The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Matt Pelech is so underrated

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:01 AM
  #6
chadillac77
 
chadillac77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Okotoks
Country: Canada
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
hey, thats what time machines are for... bad draft years.
Unfortunately D. Sutter is not Einstein and neither are you.
I'll give Darryl a call this week and tell him us fans deserve
better prospects. That'll go over just dandy.

chadillac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:19 AM
  #7
bam09
Registered User
 
bam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac77 View Post
hey, thats what time machines are for... bad draft years.
Unfortunately D. Sutter is not Einstein and neither are you.
I'll give Darryl a call this week and tell him us fans deserve
better prospects. That'll go over just dandy.
What difference does it make in talent level if you come out with a plugger every year sans Backlund? Every Sutter draftee in the first round projects as a grinding type, or 2nd pairing defenseman, or a goalie that won't get a chance here for a while and will most likely leave after he realizes he'll never be a starter or get a fair amount of games here.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:45 AM
  #8
Treliving The Dream
Registered User
 
Treliving The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
What difference does it make in talent level if you come out with a plugger every year sans Backlund? Every Sutter draftee in the first round projects as a grinding type, or 2nd pairing defenseman, or a goalie that won't get a chance here for a while and will most likely leave after he realizes he'll never be a starter or get a fair amount of games here.
When you're drafting late in the first round every year, what else can you expect? There aren't many guys that are available between 20-30 that project as first liners or first pairing defenseman. You just have to hope that you hit a home run. Looking at the 2005 draft between picks 20-30, there aren't any first liners. One of Oshie and Bergfors could end up becoming a first liner, but beyond that, there's Cogliano and Downie. Rask was picked at 20 and he's looking pretty good and Pelech and Niskanen have some potential. The 2006 draft, between picks 20-30, Giroux and Berglund are the only two forwards that look to be future first liners, while Foligno will probably end up as a decent second liner. Sanguinetti, Vishnevskiy and Corrente have the potential to be top 4 defenseman, but not first pairing guys. Varlamov looks to be a future number 1 goalie and the jury is still out on Irving.

So as you can see, there aren't many future first liners/first pairing defenseman available when you pick in the later part of the first round.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:42 AM
  #9
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,973
vCash: 500
My point in all of it was basically the 2005 draft will set us back quite a bit if we don't manage to get some actual full time NHLers from there. This was back when Sutters mentality was to get clutch and grab super sized dmen apparently

Just what I saw after reading the article written.

Though I'm still hopeful Pelech can be a 5-6 guy.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:35 AM
  #10
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,337
vCash: 50
All these shoulda coulda woulda threads are ********. Blame sutter cuz he can't see into the future. The draft is a crap shoot and everyone knows it. If you want to point the finger of blame for bad drafting at sutter what about the likes of mark giordano? Rene bourque? Both UNDRAFTED, now bourque is a legit top 6er, and gio is quickly becoming a legit top 4 dman. You never know with these drafts. As I recall sutter was praised back than. Ramholt? Ring a bell, he was supposed to be a huge steal for sutter and all flames fans were crazy bout him, where the eff is he now. Point is it's a crap shoot, it's rolling a dice basically .

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
  #11
Ace Rimmer
Moderator
What a guy!
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mimas Test Facility
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 27799
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
My point in all of it was basically the 2005 draft will set us back quite a bit if we don't manage to get some actual full time NHLers from there. This was back when Sutters mentality was to get clutch and grab super sized dmen apparently

Just what I saw after reading the article written.

Though I'm still hopeful Pelech can be a 5-6 guy.
Pelech should be bottom three (a fill-in #4 guy) and Sutter should find himself a regular spot on the 4th line as early as this year.

Didn't help us that Ryder broke his brain.

Ace Rimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:42 PM
  #12
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
All these shoulda coulda woulda threads are ********. Blame sutter cuz he can't see into the future. The draft is a crap shoot and everyone knows it. If you want to point the finger of blame for bad drafting at sutter what about the likes of mark giordano? Rene bourque? Both UNDRAFTED, now bourque is a legit top 6er, and gio is quickly becoming a legit top 4 dman. You never know with these drafts. As I recall sutter was praised back than. Ramholt? Ring a bell, he was supposed to be a huge steal for sutter and all flames fans were crazy bout him, where the eff is he now. Point is it's a crap shoot, it's rolling a dice basically .
This isn't a shoulda woulda coulda thread.

This is just to discuss the 2005 draft evaluation article that came up. Someone was nice enough to write an article for us so take the time talk about it otherwise we'll never get articles again lol.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:26 PM
  #13
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
All these shoulda coulda woulda threads are ********. Blame sutter cuz he can't see into the future. The draft is a crap shoot and everyone knows it. .
Sutter and his scouting staff are paid to identify talent....so expectation would be slightly higher than idiots from hfboards....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
  #14
cross16
Registered User
 
cross16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
There is no question, in my mind at least, Sutter struggled early with the draft. The 04 draft was good (outside Chucko), but Sutter really blew the 05 draft and the 06 draft isn't look very good right now either. Its really tough on an organization when you have back to back so/so or poor draft years and its why everyone complains about the prospects now.
Every team is going to have a bad draft year now and then. Detroit is considered the best in the business, and even they got nobody out of the 2001 draft. It happens, but shouldn't happen twice in a row. But also part of the problem is the dirth of prospects that Sutter took over for. His drafting mistakes are always under the microscope because of the lack of good prospects he had to begin with.
having said that, i think Sutter and staff have done really well since since 2006 because i think they really changed their philosphy. In a season or two i think people will get more and more positive about the Flames prospect pool.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.