HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Old
06-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Demitra?

Uuuhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I'd rather we see Dale Purinton signed as our 1st line Center than Demitra here in NY.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
''we're not going to overpay for free agents..."

Translation: We don't have the cap space.

06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Demitra?

Uuuhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I'd rather we see Dale Purinton signed as our 1st line Center than Demitra here in NY.
im willing to bet some significant money that demitra is here next year as a stop gap player

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

If Demitra is signed for 2 years, I'm going to start watching Hartford games instead.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Ke11y96

Free Agency Positions of Need

1 Winger- Kovy, Marleau, Frolov, Stempniak, Tanguay, Ponikarovsky, Svatos, Afinogenov..

Center(maybe) - Plekanec, Lombardi..

1 Top 4 D-Man - Kubina (Torts), Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Michalek, Boychuk...

So my guess barring any trades and the future upcoming on the left side in Kreider and Grachev, plus another center in Stepan..I'm thinking Volchenkov is landing in New York he is exactly what we need. Over 5 million thats an over payment even 5 is stretching it 4.25-4.75 I could live with. In regards to how he handles the rest I'm torn.

I would love Kovy here but I think he needs a Zetterberg/Hossa type deal to do it with a similar cap hit.

What players out of this list do you guys think he targets, did I miss any, and what players for these needs are available via trade?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Free Agency Positions of Need

1 Winger- Kovy, Marleau, Frolov, Stempniak, Tanguay, Ponikarovsky, Svatos, Afinogenov..

Center(maybe) - Plekanec, Lombardi..

1 Top 4 D-Man - Kubina (Torts), Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Michalek, Boychuk...

So my guess barring any trades and the future upcoming on the left side in Kreider and Grachev, plus another center in Stepan..I'm thinking Volchenkov is landing in New York he is exactly what we need. Over 5 million thats an over payment even 5 is stretching it 4.25-4.75 I could live with. In regards to how he handles the rest I'm torn.

I would love Kovy here but I think he needs a Zetterberg/Hossa type deal to do it with a similar cap hit.

What players out of this list do you guys think he targets, did I miss any, and what players for these needs are available via trade?

On the lists of Rangers needs, a purely defensive defenseman is right above starting goalie and behind just about every single other possible need.

Our defense is adequate, our offense is pathetic. Investing $4m+ (probably $5m) in Volchenkov would be pure stupidity given our "needs."

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:02 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Dubinsky - Christiansen - Gaborik
Prospal - Demitra - MZA/Callahan
Drury - Anisimov - Callahan/MZA
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Voros/Brashear

Staal - Roszival
MDZ - Z. Michalek/Hamhuis
Gilroy - Girardi

Lundqvist
Hedberg

If the cap goes up just $1.2 million (To $58 million) and the Rangers did the following:

- Re-sign Christiansen to a 2 year contract w/ a cap hit of $800K.
- Re-sign Staal to a 5 year contract w/ a cap hit of $4.0 million.
- Re-sign Girardi to a 4 year contract w/ a cap hit of $3.0 million.
- Re-sign Prust to a 2 year contract w/ a cap hit of $600K.
- Re-sign Prospal to a 1 year contract w/ a cap hit of $2.0 million and performance bonuses.
- Sign Demitra to a 1 year contract w a cap hit of $1.5 million and performance bonuses.
- Sign Hedberg to a 1 year contract w/ a cap hit of $1.25 million.
- Sign Z. Michalek to a 4 year contract w/ a cap hit of $3.75 million.
- Redden to the minors.

Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
* Vaclav Prospal ($2.000m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / * Pavol Demitra ($1.500m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m)
Aaron Voros ($1.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Erik Christensen ($0.800m)
* Brandon Prust ($0.600m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($4.000m)
* Z. Michalek ($3.750m) / * Daniel Girardi ($3.000m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / * Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP: $58.0m; PAYROLL: $57.747m; CAP ROOM: $1.316m BONUSES: $1.062m

Demitra played well in the Olympics and to finish up the season/playoffs for Vancouver. A low cap hit number with a decent bonus structure would be good for a second line center, especially if AA isn't ready for the top 6 yet. I think he and Prospal would be good stop-gags until Grachev/Kreider are ready and can pot 20 goals/50 points. It also keeps Callahan on the 3rd line where he is better fit to play. I think Demitra could play with Gaborik on the powerplay as well.

The D is much improved with swaping Redden for either Z. Michalek or Hamhuis. Staal and Girardi are locked up long-term. Good amount of cap space left over as well.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Rozy could have gotten us a much better pick than a 5th or 6th round draft pick. We just traded a 6th for Niemi, so you think thats what we would get back for a top 4 d-man who is signed for 2 more seasons?

Also Girardi and Staal will get much larger raises, expect to see Girardi get at least 3 million and Staal to get 4 and change. I want Hamhuis signed as well and I hope 4.4 could bring him here as long as its not for 6 years redden style.

Callahan is signed for 2.3 million for next season... so not sure if you have him confused with someone else?

I don't see gilroy going to Bruins at this point, signing Seidenberg and its not like they have much room to play with, sanguinetti would be the player i could see being traded along with a pick for wheeler.
Rosi's contract is bad. He's a veteran, he's decent, inconsistent but when he's on he can be a real asset to a team. It's the contract that's preventing him from netting a higher draft pick.

I don't think Girardi and Staal will get a lot higher raises. Girardi made something like 1.3 last season, i don't know what i gave him but at the time i think that's what his league value would have been. Staal had been a little bit of a disappointment for the majority of last year as well. I just think that the Rangers have more leverage on those players and will be able to control the extension prices closer to what they want more so than what the players want.

For some reason i thought Callahan was a RFA this season. That's better new because it means more available cap space for the Rangers.

Yea i was uncertain about that trade. Sanguinetti is the more likelier of the 2 to be traded however the Rangers could desperately use his shot on the power play, especially if they don't overpay for Kovy. And i can't see the Rangers keeping both Gilroy and Sangs on the same defense, both undersized and defensive liabilities at points. And i especially can't see both of them together if Rosival and Redden are still a part of the Rangers. I mean would they be trying to have the weakest defense in the league? But i agree, one of them should be traded for Wheeler. We can use Wheeler's size, grit, and talent on this team. He'd be a very good addition. And it's realistic that Glen trades for him because Glen was a heavy pursuer of Wheeler when he was a fa coming out of Phoenix. Hopefully he still likes his game, and hopefully Wheeler will come relatively cheap.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

On the lists of Rangers needs, a purely defensive defenseman is right above starting goalie and behind just about every single other possible need.

Our defense is adequate, our offense is pathetic. Investing $4m+ (probably $5m) in Volchenkov would be pure stupidity given our "needs."
Yeah I agree just of all the things i've read, and of course unreliable rumors it just seems like this is on both Tort's and Sather's wish list a defenseman like Volchenkov.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:09 PM
nyr2417

i don't want us to go after any of the 1st tier ufa d-men this year for the most part because theyre not first tier material. Rather than hamius, michalek, or volchenkov i'd be more than content on settling with a player like Kurtis Foster. I've been advocating for the rangers to sign him, he should cost 2 mill at max has a big body, killer shot, and is decent in his own end. great bottom pairing d-man. he put up like 42 points last year too, he would be a great asset to our PP as well

Old
06-06-2010, 02:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Rosi's contract is bad. He's a veteran, he's decent, inconsistent but when he's on he can be a real asset to a team. It's the contract that's preventing him from netting a higher draft pick.

I don't think Girardi and Staal will get a lot higher raises. Girardi made something like 1.3 last season, i don't know what i gave him but at the time i think that's what his league value would have been. Staal had been a little bit of a disappointment for the majority of last year as well. I just think that the Rangers have more leverage on those players and will be able to control the extension prices closer to what they want more so than what the players want.

For some reason i thought Callahan was a RFA this season. That's better new because it means more available cap space for the Rangers.

Yea i was uncertain about that trade. Sanguinetti is the more likelier of the 2 to be traded however the Rangers could desperately use his shot on the power play, especially if they don't overpay for Kovy. And i can't see the Rangers keeping both Gilroy and Sangs on the same defense, both undersized and defensive liabilities at points. And i especially can't see both of them together if Rosival and Redden are still a part of the Rangers. I mean would they be trying to have the weakest defense in the league? But i agree, one of them should be traded for Wheeler. We can use Wheeler's size, grit, and talent on this team. He'd be a very good addition. And it's realistic that Glen trades for him because Glen was a heavy pursuer of Wheeler when he was a fa coming out of Phoenix. Hopefully he still likes his game, and hopefully Wheeler will come relatively cheap.
Initially I didn't think this either, but I think it makes more sense salary cap wise to pay a bit more now for longer-term deals. I think that is the direction Sather is going to go in, in light of recent comments. They are part of this teams future core. Makes sense to lock them up long-term. And the price of long-term contracts is paying a bit more now to have a bit of a bargin in a couple of years.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Staal was disappointing last year? I don't recall that at all. He made 827k last year. He's going to at least double that.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:

His contract isn't as bad as you make it out to be. especially going into his last two years. Its well known that even though his cap hit is $5 mil, has actual salary in the last two seasons are $4 mil and $3 mil. For a team that is under a budget and still needs to stay at the salary cap floor that contract is definitely somewhat attractive.

On the part with staal and girardi. the two of them will definetly get nice contracts. I can see Girardi getting a little closer to maybe 2.5 mil per. but Staal you need to sign long term and i can see him getting closer 4 mil per year.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:22 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Staal was disappointing last year? I don't recall that at all. He made 827k last year. He's going to at least double that.
at least triple/quadruple

Old
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Girardi made 1.6 mil last season. How much of a raise he gets will depend on how many years we sign him for, but I'd expect him to get at least 2.5 mil on a 1 year deal. 3-3.5 mil per year if he signs for 3 or more years.

The only way Staal doesn't get a big raise is if Sather lowballs him on a 1 or 2 year deal like he did Dubinsky. I think that would be a very bad idea. Sather has the leverage, but would be a fool to use it. We need to lock Staal up long term. Letang got 3.5 per for 4 years. Staal should get at least that.

If we don't sign Staal long term, we will regret it when his next contract is due. 5 yrs/20 mil would be great. It might seem high now, but 2 years from now it will seem very cheap.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Maybe if the powers that be on this ****ing team thought of this 10 years ago we would be competitive now.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
OverTheCap

Nice to know Glen is alive, but I would have liked to see a little more accountability from him. That's clearly asking too much of him, though. Talking about how Brashear won't be on the team, how the team isn't good enough, but no mention of whose fault it is. The words "I made a mistake" will never be uttered from his lips.

This team is FUBAR. Sather has the same delusional mentality as some of the fans... he says the team wasn't good enough over the course of the season but then says he thinks the team could have been in the same position as the Flyers now had they made it to the playoffs. If he thinks this team is as good as the Flyers, we are in deep ****. ****ing clueless.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Staal was our best defenseman last season. He's getting at least 3 million. I don't recall in what shape or form he was a disappointment

Girardi was also solid in the second half

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:00 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Staal was our best defenseman last season. He's getting at least 3 million. I don't recall in what shape or form he was a disappointment

Girardi was also solid in the second half
He had a bad october/november...thats abou it.From there on he was the #1 on the team.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Crease

Encouraging words, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I believe we need to add another top-6 guy (in addition to re-signing Prospal) to be competitive offensively. I don't think we can depend on Grachev, Christensen, or MZA this year to put up 50+ points.

Also a veteran hard-nosed defenseman would be a welcomed addition. Then, just ride out the Drury contract and we'll be in a good position to tool up for a Cup run in a couple years.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Im glad he wants to keep Girardi.

Slats hasn't gotten enough credit for self restraint; not buying Kovalchuk, Heatley, and other tempting offers for guys like Staal, MDZ, and Dubinsky that inevitably came floating his way.

UA, I think I could live with that lineup for next year, especially considering it lands Girardi and Staal long term. One thing I would change is that if MZA doesntmake 2nd line RW and Cally does, I have MZA in Hartford and Weise in the 3rd line RW spot. Also Id put Drury at 4th line center with Shelley and Prust as wingers.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Sather lip service 101.

He has no money to sign anyone, no **** we won't be signing any big names, what a revelation. And that line about everyone fighting for spots no matter how much they make is the same thing he said in 2002, 2003, etc !

Its the summer of Lebron !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Dubinsky - Christiansen - Gaborik
Prospal - Demitra - MZA/Callahan
Drury - Anisimov - Callahan/MZA
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Voros/Brashear

Staal - Roszival
MDZ - Z. Michalek/Hamhuis
Gilroy - Girardi

Lundqvist
Hedberg

If the cap goes up just $1.2 million (To $58 million) and the Rangers did the following:

- Re-sign Christiansen to a 2 year contract w/ a cap hit of $800K.
- Re-sign Staal to a 5 year contract w/ a cap hit of $4.0 million.
- Re-sign Girardi to a 4 year contract w/ a cap hit of $3.0 million.
- Re-sign Prust to a 2 year contract w/ a cap hit of $600K.
- Re-sign Prospal to a 1 year contract w/ a cap hit of $2.0 million and performance bonuses.
- Sign Demitra to a 1 year contract w a cap hit of $1.5 million and performance bonuses.
- Sign Hedberg to a 1 year contract w/ a cap hit of $1.25 million.
- Sign Z. Michalek to a 4 year contract w/ a cap hit of $3.75 million.
- Redden to the minors.

Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
* Vaclav Prospal ($2.000m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / * Pavol Demitra ($1.500m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m)
Aaron Voros ($1.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Erik Christensen ($0.800m)
* Brandon Prust ($0.600m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($4.000m)
* Z. Michalek ($3.750m) / * Daniel Girardi ($3.000m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / * Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP: $58.0m; PAYROLL: $57.747m; CAP ROOM: $1.316m BONUSES: $1.062m

Demitra played well in the Olympics and to finish up the season/playoffs for Vancouver. A low cap hit number with a decent bonus structure would be good for a second line center, especially if AA isn't ready for the top 6 yet. I think he and Prospal would be good stop-gags until Grachev/Kreider are ready and can pot 20 goals/50 points. It also keeps Callahan on the 3rd line where he is better fit to play. I think Demitra could play with Gaborik on the powerplay as well.

The D is much improved with swaping Redden for either Z. Michalek or Hamhuis. Staal and Girardi are locked up long-term. Good amount of cap space left over as well.
You did read the part where Glenn Says Brashear is done in NY right?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You did read the part where Glenn Says Brashear is done in NY right?
He could be done in NY but not be traded, too. As in back to Hartford but full cap hit counts/

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
dynamoovechkin

Wheeler or Versteeg?
Volchenkov or Hamhuis?
Hedberg or Auld?
Prospal or an open spot for a young'un?
Waive Redden or bury him in Hartford?
Prust or Avery? IMHO they both give us the same thing.

Decisions, decisions...

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote