HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather speaks/GM has blueprint for Blueshirt future

Old
06-06-2010, 02:36 PM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You did read the part where Glenn Says Brashear is done in NY right?
Yes, done in the sense that he will not be playing on the Rangers. He still counts against the cap because he signed a multi-year contract at age 35 or older. So no matter what, if he is demoted, retires, etc he still counts against the cap. The only way he comes off the cap is if he is traded.

Thanks for the wiseass comment, though.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:37 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He could be done in NY but not be traded, too. As in back to Hartford but full cap hit counts/
Everything counts except $100K I believe.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Wheeler or Versteeg?
Volchenkov or Hamhuis?
Hedberg or Auld?
Prospal or an open spot for a young'un?
Waive Redden or bury him in Hartford?
Prust or Avery? IMHO they both give us the same thing.

Decisions, decisions...
1.) Wheeler
2.) Hamhuis
3.) Hedberg
4.) Prospal (At the right price with a 1 year contract)
5.) Both achieve the same thing.
6.) Both will be back. No one will take Avery.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
I don't foresee them buying out or demoting Redden if their goal is to rebuild. It's not like their rebuild is going to be negatively affected financially if he stays on the team for next year.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:40 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He could be done in NY but not be traded, too. As in back to Hartford but full cap hit counts/

Brashear’s $1.4 million cap hit will remain on the Rangers’ ledger unless they can find a team to trade for him. Sather would not discuss the prospects of finding a dance partner, but that’s going to be an immediate objective.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
I don't foresee them buying out or demoting Redden if their goal is to rebuild. It's not like their rebuild is going to be negatively affected financially if he stays on the team for next year.

When exactly does building from within mean rebuild?

He never, not once said "rebuild."

If he were properly rebuilding, Gaborik and Lundqvist would be traded for top picks.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:48 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
The Rangers aren't rebuilding, though. They are committed to developing their young prospects and current young NHL players. They want to be competitive too and attempt to make the playoffs. They just won't go crazy on the UFA market and overpay for the likes of Volchenkov, Marleau, Plekanec, etc.

To make this team more competitive in the short-term without committing to the more expensive UFA's, the Rangers have to get rid of some current salary, and that means Redden and his $6.5 million. We may be looking a bit too much into what Sather said, but him saying that he wants the best 23 players on the roster, regardless of salary, was a shot at Redden. With his $6.5 million the Rangers could sign an upgrade on D like Z. Michalek or Hamhuis, MZA, and a back-up goalie that can log 20+ games at the least (Like Hedberg). Or that money could be enough to re-sign Staal and Girardi long-term.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

^ Pretty much.

Still, if he could sign Kovalchuk between 7.5-8, a la getting rid of Redden, then I would be satisfied, despite him saying he wont overpay for FA.

It kind of seems to me he is going to inquire about Kovalchuk at most, but not much more.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Rangers aren't rebuilding, though. They are committed to developing their young prospects and current young NHL players. They want to be competitive too and attempt to make the playoffs. They just won't go crazy on the UFA market and overpay for the likes of Volchenkov, Marleau, Plekanec, etc.

To make this team more competitive in the short-term without committing to the more expensive UFA's, the Rangers have to get rid of some current salary, and that means Redden and his $6.5 million. We may be looking a bit too much into what Sather said, but him saying that he wants the best 23 players on the roster, regardless of salary, was a shot at Redden. With his $6.5 million the Rangers could sign an upgrade on D like Z. Michalek or Hamhuis, MZA, and a back-up goalie that can log 20+ games at the least (Like Hedberg). Or that money could be enough to re-sign Staal and Girardi long-term.
Honestly, if we keep signing FA defensemen, when exactly are we going to allow the youth we have on defense to actually play? Signing Hamhuis or Michalek, when do Sanguinetti and McDonagh then play for us?

Old
06-06-2010, 03:06 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Honestly, if we keep signing FA defensemen, when exactly are we going to allow the youth we have on defense to actually play? Signing Hamhuis or Michalek, when do Sanguinetti and McDonagh then play for us?
There is youth on the backline. You have Staal (23 y/o), MDZ (20 y/o), Girardi (26 y/o), and Gilroy (25 y/o). McD more then likely will spend a year in Hartford (IMO at least). I see Sangs being dealt at some point this summer or over the course of next season in a package.

I'd honestly rather the Rangers deal Gilroy and let Sangs or McD take his spot on the third pairing. The team needs some veteran presence on the backend, and not just Roszival.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Did Brooks ask Sather why a team that has no cap space can't make the playoffs with the best goalie in hockey?

And what that means for Sather's performance as Ranger GM?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
There is youth on the backline. You have Staal (23 y/o), MDZ (20 y/o), Girardi (26 y/o), and Gilroy (25 y/o). McD more then likely will spend a year in Hartford (IMO at least). I see Sangs being dealt at some point this summer or over the course of next season in a package.

I'd honestly rather the Rangers deal Gilroy and let Sangs or McD take his spot on the third pairing. The team needs some veteran presence on the backend, and not just Roszival.
I think at this point, you can consider Staal and Girardi veterans. I mean, what's the plan here? We're going to trade away the guy we drafted with a 1st round pick so we can sign another defenseman, who happens to be older and will cost more?

Old
06-06-2010, 03:21 PM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Signing a quality backup is crucial. I would like to have Hedberg or Auld. Henrik should be playing 60-65 games a year. Biron wouldn't be a bad choice but I feel like he is looking for a bigger role somewhere. I wish Spiderman still had his super powers.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
I think at this point, you can consider Staal and Girardi veterans. I mean, what's the plan here? We're going to trade away the guy we drafted with a 1st round pick so we can sign another defenseman, who happens to be older and will cost more?
If you can trade away Sangs or Gilroy for a player like Wheeler, you do it. Defense is a position of strength in this organization, RW is not. I would rather make a trade like that, then sign a younger UFA D-man to replace the other Vet on the backline last season, in Redden. If the Rangers dealt Gilroy, I'd want to see Sangs or McD on that third pairing though. Have a D looking something like:

Staal - Roszival
MDZ - Z. Michalek
Sangs/McD - Girardi

Remember, Michalek is only 27 years old. I would swap Michalek for Sangs in a heart beat. Michalek is a type of d-man this team needs. I don't want to say Sangs is redundant, because I don't think that's the right word i'm looking for, but the team already has MDZ and Gilroy to provide the offense from the backend. Staal's offensive game has progressed big time as well.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

That 5% bump held by the NHLPA accounted for $2.74 million last June. Larry Brooks wrote about the escalator last summer. I remember reading it then and found it

Quote:
The close vote on the escalator indicates executive director Paul Kelly and director of player affairs Glenn Healy do not have the union's attention. For both these gentlemen understood the critical importance of not allowing the cap to fall by the $2.64 million it would have if the vote had gone the other way.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0q6fpukcY

Instead of the cap decreasing from $56.7 million to $54.06 million,it increased by $100,000 to $56.8 million with the 5% bump.

$56.8 million with the same $2.74 million is $59.54 million.

Bettman said "a little over $2 million" with the 5% bump

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Having two big market US teams in the Cup finals helps the bottom line. Boston-Philly seven game series helped. Canadian dollar was strong all year. It's taken a small hit since the worries in Europe exploded last month but it's still 94-95 cents. Montreal had a good run.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Certainly sounds like no big name FA's. Considering I want to stay far away from Marleau and Plekanec, and Volchenkov will get more than he's worth, that's probably a good thing.
I strongly agree on this, and also say no on Kovalchuck.

As for the rest of the article, talk is cheap, and I don't buy for one second that the contracts won't have an influence over who is on the Rangers and who is on the Wolfpack.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Stars are exasperated with Niskanen. He is a group II this summer. Not arb eligible. Signed ELC as a 20 year old and 3 years exp. They need youth on D. Traded their top and only legit prospect(Ivan Vishnevsky) to Atlanta for Kari Lehtonen.

Quote:
That could be exactly what is happening with Carle. He is a skilled defenseman in the mold of Matt Niskanen, and he very much frustrated the Sharks, earning occasional healthy scratches the same way that Niskanen has. So after signing Carle to a four year, $13.75 million deal, the Sharks decided to move him to Tampa Bay in the trade for Dan Boyle. That had to be a shocker for Carle, but not near as much as getting quickly flipped by the cash-strapped Lightning to Philadelphia.

Carle has been much better since the two trades, but is that because he had a wakeup call, had better coaching or because he played beside Braydon Coburn last season and beside Chris Pronger this season? It's probably a little of everything. It takes time for a young defenseman to mature, and Carle simply might be understanding the game better. Plus, he might also feel less pressure when he has a great partner, and that leads to playing with more confidence.

But the question, as it relates to Stars fans, is would either player have seen this kind of improvement had they stayed with their first team? I'm not sure they would. Leino likely would not have gotten the same opportunity in Detroit. Carle would have probably struggled if he had to try to play the role that Boyle is now playing and he would have had to deal with the extra pressure in San Jose.

So should the Stars try to be patient with Brunnstrom and Niskanen and find a way to turn them into gems? Or should they move on from either or both without fearing that they will find their games elsewhere?
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...r-the-sta.html

The Stars have a $45 million budget and have spent $40 million so far.

Sanguinetti for Niskanen. Rangers get a player who will cost them more in cap dollars but he will fit in their plan. Stars save money and get a player who could play for them at some point next season.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

He's not going to overpay for free agents? Well guess what....he couldn't even if he wanted too.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
He's not going to overpay for free agents? Well guess what....he couldn't even if he wanted too.
He'll find a way.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I seldom read a thread from start to finish but there are so many good laughs in this one I couldn't resist. Read between the lines of Sather's comments to Brooks and a couiple of things become crystal clear -- we are not overpaying for Kovalchuk, we are not in the market for players like Gonchar and in his eyes Girardi is not a last pair defenseman. Thank God we have posters here like Ranger Boy, Sting and some of the others who get it. What Slats dosen't or can't say is as important as what he does say.

And as for Redden, check Cap Geek regularly during the summer and once Sather goes above the cap (allowing for Staal and Girardi's new contracts) you will know his fate. He is the only contract of substance that the Rangers would be burying in Hartford or Europe. Once Glen shows his hand, you will know where Wade is headed.

Last edited by bobbop: 06-06-2010 at 05:19 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
ThisYearsModel

Christiansen blows chunks. Waiver wire fodder being handed the #1 center job just shows how devoid of top talent the Rangers are. To compare them with the Flyers is a joke. To say that the young players are able to make this club into a contender is also a joke. This goof has done nothing but mess up for 10 years. Why would anyone believe this hogwash he is spewing now? If he were GM anywhere else, he would have been canned before the lockout.

Last edited by ThisYearsModel: 06-06-2010 at 05:14 PM.
ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I could see Sather signing Demitra, wouldn't shock me at all, but if that's the case, he better be replacing Prospal.

Redden, Voros, and Brashear all need to go. That's almost 10 million saved in cap space.

As much as I'd love to get Kovalchuk, there's too much that has to happen for him to come to NY. Then again... Sather almost offered him an offer sheet supposedly back in the summer of 05.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
XLJ

I would love for them to trade for someone like Versteeg instead of resigning Prospal. He is a young player that can grow with the young core.

They need to dump Redden. If he is still on the team next year that will be very disappointing. And why does Paranteau keep getting mentioned? He was awful in the last game against philly and got benched. He is only useful in shootouts. It would be nice to see Grachev have a great camp and make the team next year.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
nyr2417

im all for demitra for one year, why not? useful stop gap that we can use to play with gaborik

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote