HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Radio Host Pans Flyers Fan in Chicago Tribune

Old
06-05-2010, 09:40 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
He's the type of guy who deserves to have this **** happen to him.

Again, I don't understand how people don't get it yet. Philly defends their city and stadium, if you come here we are going to rag on you. It's a known fact. If you don't want it to happen, don't come. People can't even act like it doesn't happen in every city. It does. Maybe not as much as Philadelphia, but it absolutely does.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:47 AM
DUHockey9

I have no problem with verbal jeering. If an opposing fan can't handle that, then that's their issue. Someone mentioned that story of the Hawks fan making a joke at himself in the bathroom, and just like that everyone liked him.

I do have an issue if it ever escalates beyond verbal, as well as incessant cursing around kids.

I've seen people tell other people to cut out the cursing around kids plenty of times.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:58 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I have no problem with verbal jeering. If an opposing fan can't handle that, then that's their issue. Someone mentioned that story of the Hawks fan making a joke at himself in the bathroom, and just like that everyone liked him.

I do have an issue if it ever escalates beyond verbal, as well as incessant cursing around kids.
Agreed. If I'm in someone else's arena, I expect comments. It's all in how you take it and deal with it. I've never had a problem, but I tend to laugh and have fun with it. I expect disrespectful, but appropriate disrespect. If you're going to take offense by someone telling you your team sucks or with comments about your team's players or fans, then you're better off staying home. Cursing around kids is never acceptable.

The only time I was the slightest bit concerned was after an OT game, where there were a lot of drunk people - it had the potential for ugly. So I put my jacket on, and didn't give anyone the opportunity to be a dick while we were walking out.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Rex88

As a philly fan that lived in Chicago I can just put in my 2 cents.
Went to one Bulls game - playoffs 76ers during the Barkley years. Sixers were up early, I had a Phillies hat on, never stood up or yelled just golf type clapping when the Sixers made a good play. I was yelled at and hit by a hot dog and a few foil wrappers.
At Cubs games if I wore my Phillies stuff I expected and was given many verbal jeers and the occasional FU and again that is with no antics on my part at all.
Bottom line is that all cities have good and bad fans - some just get better media coverage.

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
We in Chicago dont judge you by Steven A. Smith and his antics
Stephen A. Smith by no means represents Philadelphia. The guy is a Knicks fan to boot.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:19 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88 View Post
As a philly fan that lived in Chicago I can just put in my 2 cents.
Went to one Bulls game - playoffs 76ers during the Barkley years. Sixers were up early, I had a Phillies hat on, never stood up or yelled just golf type clapping when the Sixers made a good play. I was yelled at and hit by a hot dog and a few foil wrappers.
At Cubs games if I wore my Phillies stuff I expected and was given many verbal jeers and the occasional FU and again that is with no antics on my part at all.
Bottom line is that all cities have good and bad fans - some just get better media coverage.
WRONG!!!!! Everyone knows that only Philly fans are a-holes. All other fans are perfect angels.... except for maybe Angels fans.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:40 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Hawks fans will ,,,,,,,, This is our best team since 71 Hawks who collapsed in finals after taking 2-0 series lead (Both home victories ,, Terrifying parallel)

After suffering thru so much #### with Bill Wirtz and constant disappointment (Lost 5 conf finals in a 9 yr span + 92 SCF loss) this year would be most devastating

We will lose some good players this summer and we have several rising powers in our conference (Kings and Blues) who have so much young talent coming thru system.... This upcoming departure of talent in summer "Capocalypse as some are calling it" will alter a good portion of our roster (We still will be good but not this good)

If we lose this series it will be worse then dying ,,, I believe this Hawks team is gonna win........... (I said in 7 before series begins so I am still on track )
So the Hawks might move Campbell and Sharp or a few guys. They still have some good farm players coming up. They might not have the same depth, but I hope they win the Cup in the next few seasons. I like the Hawks, they are my "West team".

Obviously, I'm pulling for my Flyers this series though. I have been alive for 23 years, and as a Philadelphia fan in all 4 of the major sports, I have seen exactly 1 Championship in the 92ish seasons of sports that has occurred since I popped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Steven A. Smith is to Philly as KFC is to chicken.
lol

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
So Jabba the Hutt up there had a bad time in Philly because he couldn't fit through the turnstiles. Big deal. These articles happen every year, though that picture is hilarious. Definitely photoshoppable.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:27 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pretty sure the dude spends the majority of his time in NY, and always has.
That was my point.

Maybe I shouldve rephrased it like this:

Steven A. Smith is to Philly as MTV is to music.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post

(cue the violin)

That is sad!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

You're pretty ****ing delusional if you think being an ******* is somehow related to where one lives or what team one supports. D-bags are everywhere and the average sports fan is generally ****ing stupid. Most of the intelligent ones end up on sites like this so we know it's not us acting a fool at games. However, they're in every arena and stadium across the world. It's lazy writing to attack another fanbase and way out of touch with reality to assume the fanbase of the team you support are angels.

Anybody who attacks a fanbase in this fashion needs to wake the **** up. The dumb, rude, fat, and violent are everywhere.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
TehBBA

Didn't Victorino get hit by a beer when he was trying to make a catch in Chicago?

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Hawks fans will ,,,,,,,, This is our best team since 71 Hawks who collapsed in finals after taking 2-0 series lead (Both home victories ,, Terrifying parallel)

After suffering thru so much #### with Bill Wirtz and constant disappointment (Lost 5 conf finals in a 9 yr span + 92 SCF loss) this year would be most devastating

We will lose some good players this summer and we have several rising powers in our conference (Kings and Blues) who have so much young talent coming thru system.... This upcoming departure of talent in summer "Capocalypse as some are calling it" will alter a good portion of our roster (We still will be good but not this good)

If we lose this series it will be worse then dying ,,, I believe this Hawks team is gonna win........... (I said in 7 before series begins so I am still on track )
But here's the thing, next year's hawks will be even better than this year's...

The hawks will be a great team for a long time. I would like to say the same about the flyers but it really depends on what types of players JVR, Giroux, Coburn and Carle turn into

I don't know about worse to dying, tho.

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I actually found it quite funny. He describes his experience like he is a victim of war atrocities. I feel like the article needs a soundtrack and a reflecting pond with a monument.

(cue the violin)

That song is beautiful

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post

The hawks will be a great team for a long time. I would like to say the same about the flyers but it really depends on what types of players JVR, Giroux, Coburn and Carle turn into

I heard that phrase about the Hawks when I was a kid

After 89/90 Conf finals losses it was Hawks wil be even better next eyar
91 we won President's trophy and went down in flames in 1st round we would be better next year
92 we lost SCF to Pens in 4 games and everyone said we would be better next year
93 and 94 we bowed out in 1st round and everyone said we would be better next year
95 we lost Conf finals to Wings (3 OT loses) and everyone said we would be better
96 we lost in 2nd round to Avs in 6 (including double OT and Triple OT loses)

Then Wirtz dumped Roenick , Traded Belfour midway thru next season , Got blown out by Avs in 1st round ,,,,,,, Nicholls/Murphy not resigned

Suter , Chelios and everyone else that mattered out door and it became this as our hope

Maybe we will be above .500 this year ,,,,,,, Outside of 1 fluke season (2002) we finished under .500 for 8 seasons until finally having a decent team in 08.

I cant continue to hold onto a faint hope that we will get better ,,,,,,, I have lived thru so much as a Hawks fan (No home games on TV , Our owner telling us to #### off , etc , etc)

This will be the year

I believe in this team (As I am sure you do with your team)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post

No they won't.

They'll continue to be a very good team for a number of years, but this is their last year of being able to roll out this level of depth. They're going to start shedding some good players beginning this offseason.

Shame of it is that if not for the Campbell and Huet contracts they could have remained at an epic height for a while. Perhaps they bury the Huet contract and that saves 'em for a little bit, but it doesn't alleviate the fundamental cap problems facing 'em.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
"Standing in line in the men's room was a hoot."

Also, I hate writers who take the "holier than thou" connotation in their articles about crude language.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-06-2010 at 06:32 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No they won't.

They'll continue to be a very good team for a number of years, but this is their last year of being able to roll out this level of depth. They're going to start shedding some good players beginning this offseason.

Shame of it is that if not for the Campbell and Huet contracts they could have remained at an epic height for a while. Perhaps they bury the Huet contract and that saves 'em for a little bit, but it doesn't alleviate the fundamental cap problems facing 'em.
Yup. Next year the combined cap hits of Toews, Kane, and Keith jump from 8 million to about 18.5 million. Niemi, Hjalmarsson, Eager, and Ladd are all RFA's while Madden and Burish are UFA's (not that they will be expensive or too hard to replace).

If my math is correct for next year they have 10 forwards under contract for $33.4, 4 defensemen for $18.8, and Huet for $5.625. All of that without the guys I named above.

In order to keep their core (Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook who will be an RFA after next season, and Hossa) together, they will have to trade away some secondary players like Bolland, Versteeg, or Byfuglien. Maybe even Sharp.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote