HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Flex - Different Companies, Different Feel

Old
06-05-2010, 11:46 PM
vinogradov8

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Stick Flex - Different Companies, Different Feel

Ive have a CCM V08 at 75 flex for about half a year now, and the flex felt REALLY stiff for a 75, so recently I bought a bauer one85 stick with 102 pro flex, and I swear they feel almost identical (maybe its because the one85 is 2" longer) but the one85 is just a little more stiff. Its good for me because im a big guy (6'0" 195 Lbs) but I couldn't believe how close they are. Do different companies have different results when testing flex?

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:05 PM
pistolpete31

Well i just got a new stick and felt a bunch of sticks, warrior 100 was impossible to flex, ccm and reebok were also very stick compared to nike and easton.

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:28 PM
canuck44

Flex profiles are supposed to make the stick feel different as well - a low flex point will make the stick feel stiffer than a mid flex point

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:55 PM
vinogradov8

Its crazy how much actually goes into a stick and how much customization it has.

Old
06-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Pierre Gotye

I think that kick points seem to be the determining factor for every stick.

I have a 65 Flex intermediate S19. The stick feels very stiff. I just added an end to the stick to make it longer for my reach and it's a totally different stick now. The kick point changed. Feels more whippy.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well theoretically the One85 is a mid kick stick which should feel whippier than a low kick stick, and the Vector 08 is a low kick stick which should feel stiffer. The extra 2" will also make the One85 a bit whippier too but I'm still kind of surprised you think they feel the same...maybe if one was 75 and the other 85 flex...

Although I have a teammate who switched from an 85 flex V08 to a 112 flex One85...it's definitely stiffer and since he's 6'6 he needs that stiff flex!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
vinogradov8

Maybe im just going out of my mind with the next hockey season so far away! But I recommend the Naslund Curve over the Ovechkin curve because its so much easier to control the puck with naslund.

Old
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

The only sure way to know the actual correct flex is toi use the flex machine the pros use which shows the flex when you put your stick in the mechanism and it measures the flex by flexing it.

I really have no idea how much quality control goes into each batch of sticks made at the factory to ensure accuracy or which company is the most accurate.

It would be nice to own a flex gauge gizmo machine .... whatever they are called.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
The only sure way to know the actual correct flex is toi use the flex machine the pros use which shows the flex when you put your stick in the mechanism and it measures the flex by flexing it.

I really have no idea how much quality control goes into each batch of sticks made at the factory to ensure accuracy or which company is the most accurate.

It would be nice to own a flex gauge gizmo machine .... whatever they are called.

Yeah, maybe one of the members has one. Im a big guy so I can flex a stick pretty good. ( bench 175-200lbs depends on the time of the year)

Old
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:

The pros don't use a machine like this. It's done at the manufacturers factory. Outside of those factories the only other place that I know of that has a purpose-built device to measure the flex of a stick is Oggie.

Different companies have different ranges of acceptable variance. Warrior is 2-3 flex for pro, maybe more for retail. At the pro level Warrior offers a variety of stick flexes, every 5 flex(ie; 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, etc) and it is recorded on a sticker inside the shaft to the exact flex. Most companies are similar although none offer this range of flex although Bauer is close(Bauer offers: 77, 82, 87, 95, 102, 112).

When sticks get to the team they are typically tested... the same way most people test them, a flex on solid ground by the player. BTW, this means a light touch, you're looking for how much pressure it takes for it to start flexing not how far you can flex it. Flexing a stick on solid ground even as little as a 1/2" can cause damage to your stick and cause early stick failure.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
The pros don't use a machine like this. It's done at the manufacturers factory. Outside of those factories the only other place that I know of that has a purpose-built device to measure the flex of a stick is Oggie.

Different companies have different ranges of acceptable variance. Warrior is 2-3 flex for pro, maybe more for retail. At the pro level Warrior offers a variety of stick flexes, every 5 flex(ie; 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, etc) and it is recorded on a sticker inside the shaft to the exact flex. Most companies are similar although none offer this range of flex although Bauer is close(Bauer offers: 77, 82, 87, 95, 102, 112).

When sticks get to the team they are typically tested... the same way most people test them, a flex on solid ground by the player. BTW, this means a light touch, you're looking for how much pressure it takes for it to start flexing not how far you can flex it. Flexing a stick on solid ground even as little as a 1/2" can cause damage to your stick and cause early stick failure.
I am actually very surprised that the NHL teams do not use a flex tester electronic gizmo machine.
... seeing as how superstitious and weird players are.

I'll take your word for it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
I am actually very surprised that the NHL teams do not use a flex tester electronic gizmo machine.
... seeing as how superstitious and weird players are.

I'll take your word for it.
Pros go by feel. Most of them don't know a whole lot about gear in general.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote