HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild begins pro meetings, bringing in draft-eligible players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
  #51
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
you do realize that if Rolston had shown any hint of offensive skill he would have been given a shot on the top six, right? Especially given that Jacques by most accounts thought highly of him for whatever reason.

Not buying it. He got his contract, his effort went way down. when not given the high profile that his contract warranted, i'm sure it didn't improve his attitude any.
They had Elias, Langenbrunner, Kovalchuk, and Parise at the end of the year. How was he supposed to crack their top-6 wingers? Bergfors stormed out of the gate as well.

As for physical play, sure Rolston is not great, but we're comparing him to Bouchard, who aside from his outburst at Burrows, has basically stayed away from contact his entire career. Rolston may not have been the most physical player, but he went to the dirty areas.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:45 PM
  #52
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,310
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
They had Elias, Langenbrunner, Kovalchuk, and Parise at the end of the year. How was he supposed to crack their top-6 wingers? Bergfors stormed out of the gate as well.

As for physical play, sure Rolston is not great, but we're comparing him to Bouchard, who aside from his outburst at Burrows, has basically stayed away from contact his entire career. Rolston may not have been the most physical player, but he went to the dirty areas.
pre- kovie where was rolston? hmmmm. and no he didn't go into the dirty areas. in fact, he skated backwards rather than go fight for the puck if there was any chance he'd get smacked. you could say that was just Jacques preaching a responsible game but IMO it was him not wanting to get hit.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
  #53
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
pre- kovie where was rolston? hmmmm. and no he didn't go into the dirty areas. in fact, he skated backwards rather than go fight for the puck if there was any chance he'd get smacked. you could say that was just Jacques preaching a responsible game but IMO it was him not wanting to get hit.
We're comparing him to Bouchard(maybe Miettinen), not Clutterbuck, or even Kobasew. Pre-Kovie they had a hot-start from Bergfors.

Again, nobody would want either Rolston or Bouchard on their contracts. Bouchard has outscored Rolston ONE year by ONE goal, 08/09, while averaging almost 2 minutes more per game and playing 7 more games.

You say Rolston was useless this past season, he scored 20 goals, Bouchard's career high.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:42 PM
  #54
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
You say Rolston was useless this past season, he scored 20 goals, Bouchard's career high.
And that was with 3rd line minutes and limited PP time. If he was here he'd be getting 1st line minutes and top PP time! He'd be right back at 30+ goals.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:42 PM
  #55
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,524
vCash: 50
Rolston on a line with Koivu would of netted easily 10 more goals this season than Mittens did. I would of taken him in a heartbeat. The only difference is the reason we were able to even make the trades and signings we did was because Bouchard was on LTIR and opened up $4M in room. With Rolston, that doesn't happen. And the Latendresse trade probably doesn't happen either.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM
  #56
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Rolston on a line with Koivu would of netted easily 10 more goals this season than Mittens did. I would of taken him in a heartbeat. The only difference is the reason we were able to even make the trades and signings we did was because Bouchard was on LTIR and opened up $4M in room. With Rolston, that doesn't happen. And the Latendresse trade probably doesn't happen either.
Wasn't it an about equal salary exchange between Pouliot and Latendresse? The deal we would really been hindered from making would be the one for Kobasew.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:50 PM
  #57
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,310
vCash: 50
disagree.

that guy is not right for a Fletcher/Richards team. PP he would have been great. I just have a feeling Bouchard will do better under Richards than he did under Lemaire. not at all confident he'll ever be 100% again though.

Point is, i wouldn't trade them one for the other right now even considering Rolston is playing and Bouchard isn't.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:37 PM
  #58
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
The single biggest things that made me want to throw things watching each of these guys:

Rolston
Every damn time on the PP, he'd crank his slapper. And sure enough, more often than not, the thing would miss the net and ring all the way back down to the Wild's defensive zone. Effectively killing 30(ish) seconds of the PP and any meaningful momentum the Wild were building in the zone.

Bouchard
Can he grow a pair and stick his nose in anywhere? Every time he enters the zone with the puck you can guarentee he'd gain the zone and then cut back and walk the line. Only to allow the back checkers to fill their lanes and cut down any scoring chance. We get it PMB, sometimes this is effective. But let's try to mix things up every now and then. Especially when you've got numbers. No need to spin back up the boards and go to your safe zone.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:38 PM
  #59
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Rolston: I felt the quality of his play deteriorated as his tenure here went on- almost in the sense where he became a caricature of himself. As much as we want to hold DR cupable for waiting to resign him, he did the right thing as NJ OVERPAID for a guy in his mid-30's, and its reflecting in his production. At least we got a pick for him.

Bouchard: He's not assertive enough as a player to truly utilize his talent; he should be a 25-55 guy every year, but he does disappear when it gets physical. Well, its the West, and its physical more often than not. I feel for the guy because he's in limbo with the concussion, but I don't see where he fits in with this team because that's one more playmaker on a team without true finishers (unless you cross your fingers that Casey Wellman becomes that guy.) That contract is just killing us too.


On a tangent, but I want to know who the 5 guys the Brass brought in for interviews.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:42 PM
  #60
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,949
vCash: 528
Read this to find out what Devils fans thought of Mr. Rolston:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=rolston

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:52 AM
  #61
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Read this to find out what Devils fans thought of Mr. Rolston:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=rolston
Devils fans also don't like it when you point out how despite their opinions now, they were ridiculously happy they were when they signed him.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:55 AM
  #62
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Read this to find out what Devils fans thought of Mr. Rolston:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=rolston
The Devils fans opinions are obviously not based on having either Butch at his current contract or Rolston at his.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.