HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Schnieder avail?!?

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 07:09 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Schnieder avail?!?

I herd that M. Schnieder will be unprotected in the waiver draft!! If this is true why don't the Oilers go after him?!?!? He only makes 3.5 million!! I know, I know, 3.5 is a lot.... but no Comrie, and the improved CDN dollar maybe allow us to be capable of it. I know it won't happen as Lowe has to play the we are on the verge of being broke card - but IMO it would be doable, and it would help out SOOOOO MUCH! I mean he'd be our powerplay Dman!
Brewer-Schnieder
Semenov-Smith
Staios-Cross/Fergy

Bergeron would be down to the farm as his usefullness and value to the Oilers would not exist anymore. What do you guys think?

Side not, it's my 500th post!!

Old
09-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Cerebral

Congrats on your 500th post.. there is absolutely no way Schneider will be unprotected in the waiver draft however Holland and Detroit gave up waaaay too much for him to let him go after one failed playoff experience. Likewise, he is still a very good defenceman and will be an important cog in the Red Wing machine this year. While the Oilers might be able to afford him this season (it is definitely possible if Comrie fails to sign), there is no way they will get ahold of Schneider unless they trade for him.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:16 PM
dem

Why would they leave Schnieder unprotected?

Old
09-29-2003, 07:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Why would they leave Schnieder unprotected?
I dunno - I just read in a different post that there was a newspaper article saying that that Kronwall kid may be ready and that the Wings would be willing to make room for him at Schnieders expense. I can't see it, but I just thought IF he was on Waivers, he'd be great for the Oilers.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:30 PM
jofa

$3.5M is still way out of the Oiler's price range right now for a new signing in my opinion, and Schneider really isn't worth that much to begin with. But more importantly, even if he was left unprotected, Edmonton has something like the 31st overall pick in the waiver draft, as it goes through one round of the teams that didn't make it into the playoffs, and then another round of basically the reverse order of points from last season (from what i understand anyway), so I'm not holding my breath on Edm finding any gems left in the waiver draft at that point. It should be slim pickings of an already weak group of cast offs and castaways, I would imagine.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:51 PM
FacelessButcher

As I said in the other thread Schneider makes $3.75million. I am wondering why u kicked Staios out of the top 4 opposed to Semenov, reason? Judging from training camp performance and recent comments from MacT I think Bergeron might be ahead of Cross in the pecking order, is anyone starting to get a sinking feeling in your stomach that it was not a good idea to sign Cross to a long term contract, I can almost smell a little waft of Cleary in the air. I know Cross is a good guy to have for depth but at $1.05 million and only $50,000 less then Staios, I just don't know even if we don't get Schneider I am sure we will get another d-man,or in three years I can't see Cross being better than Lynch,Bergeron, or Luomo so will he be sitting at $1.05million?
Also isn't anyone worried what signing Schneider might do the chemistry in the room he would be the second highest player in the room after Salo. With Smyth and a few other players signing under-value do u think they would appreciate having Schneider signed at that price? When they sacrificed for the team? and with a close knit group of guys losing close friends like Marchant, Ninimaa, Carter, and Comrie for money reasons in the last year u don't think this would trouble them signing a free agent instead of signing players that we could of kept that they knew and cared for?

I am not against signing Schneider because I know he can be a help on the ice but the possible drawbacks might be greater than the postives. I just don't think Edmonton is much of a rent a player organization I can't see us signing Schneider back after he served his tenor here and most teams probably will not be interested in trading for him at his current price as he is getting kind of old and his game may be detiorating which makes him a asset with no return value after use.

P.S. don't u hate it when u type a long post and have to re-type it all over again because u pressed one wrong button. ggrrr

Old
09-29-2003, 07:55 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I dunno - I just read in a different post that there was a newspaper article saying that that Kronwall kid may be ready and that the Wings would be willing to make room for him at Schnieders expense. I can't see it, but I just thought IF he was on Waivers, he'd be great for the Oilers.
Not necessarily. Because he would have the 2nd highest salary on the team; and to take him, we would then have to expose one of our protected players. Me thinks KLo won't go there.

And I've seen a few posts that talk about the "improved" Canadian $.

In the spring, I was listening to Patrick LaForge discuss the strengthening dollar. (it was around 0.73 at the time, i think) Some sportscaster was ooohing and ahhing about the possibilities of an 0.80 dollar this fall and Patrick said that wouldn't help at all. Apparently the Oilers have to convert the entire year's salaries to American $$ shortly after the end of the season. So they have already purchased the American money for this year. At what rate? I don't know.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
As I said in the other thread Schneider makes $3.75million. I am wondering why u kicked Staios out of the top 4 opposed to Semenov, reason? Judging from training camp performance and recent comments from MacT I think Bergeron might be ahead of Cross in the pecking order, is anyone starting to get a sinking feeling in your stomach that it was not a good idea to sign Cross to a long term contract, I can almost smell a little waft of Cleary in the air. I know Cross is a good guy to have for depth but at $1.05 million and only $50,000 less then Staios, I just don't know even if we don't get Schneider I am sure we will get another d-man,or in three years I can't see Cross being better than Lynch,Bergeron, or Luomo so will he be sitting at $1.05million?
Also isn't anyone worried what signing Schneider might do the chemistry in the room he would be the second highest player in the room after Salo. With Smyth and a few other players signing under-value do u think they would appreciate having Schneider signed at that price? When they sacrificed for the team? and with a close knit group of guys losing close friends like Marchant, Ninimaa, Carter, and Comrie for money reasons in the last year u don't think this would trouble them signing a free agent instead of signing players that we could of kept that they knew and cared for?

I am not against signing Schneider because I know he can be a help on the ice but the possible drawbacks might be greater than the postives. I just don't think Edmonton is much of a rent a player organization I can't see us signing Schneider back after he served his tenor here and most teams probably will not be interested in trading for him at his current price as he is getting kind of old and his game may be detiorating which makes him a asset with no return value after use.

P.S. don't u hate it when u type a long post and have to re-type it all over again because u pressed one wrong button. ggrrr
All your points are very true - but I'd kinda like to see a change in the organization in the way that they will show some of the best fans in the NHL that they are committed to putting a winning product on the ice.

IT SUCKS WHEN YOU HIT THE WRONG BUTTON!!!!

Old
09-29-2003, 08:39 PM
hackey

Quote:
I herd that M. Schnieder will be unprotected in the waiver draft!! If this is true why don't the Oilers go after him?
what??

Old
09-29-2003, 08:45 PM
FacelessButcher

I heard Kronwell is taking his roster spot maybe we should pursue him and Hudler and let them keep Schneider.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
$3.5M is still way out of the Oiler's price range right now for a new signing in my opinion, and Schneider really isn't worth that much to begin with. But more importantly, even if he was left unprotected, Edmonton has something like the 31st overall pick in the waiver draft, as it goes through one round of the teams that didn't make it into the playoffs, and then another round of basically the reverse order of points from last season (from what i understand anyway), so I'm not holding my breath on Edm finding any gems left in the waiver draft at that point. It should be slim pickings of an already weak group of cast offs and castaways, I would imagine.
Everything I have read says we pick 14th, based on reverse order of points from '01-'02. We may indeed find a "gem" that fits the budget, jofa.
_________

And - Excellent points FacelessButcher.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Schnieder? Detroit would never leave him unprotected. They might leave a guy like Woolley or Dandenault unprotected, though.

But I think Schnieder would look very good in an Oilers jersey. At least we would have a defense pairing that could make passes that don't get called for icing.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
If the Wings waive ANYBODY, it would be Woolley. Frankly, I think he'd be decent on the Oiler's second unit.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:01 AM
jofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Everything I have read says we pick 14th, based on reverse order of points from '01-'02. We may indeed find a "gem" that fits the budget, jofa.
http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/09/151652.html

scroll down the page - there's a first round of voting that edmonton isn't even a part of, and then we are 17th to pick on the second round. if we did pick 14th, i'd agree, but the nhl site has us at 31st, so i imagine the waiver draft will be pretty picked thin by that point...

Old
09-30-2003, 06:13 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:

scroll down the page - there's a first round of voting that edmonton isn't even a part of, and then we are 17th to pick on the second round. if we did pick 14th, i'd agree, but the nhl site has us at 31st, so i imagine the waiver draft will be pretty picked thin by that point...
a lot of the player available are salary dumps we might get a few since so many of the buyers are behind us. Teams we get to pick before: Toronto,Washington, Anaheim, Minnesota, St. Louis, Vancouver, Phillidelphia, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, and New Jersey.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:31 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
what??
Is it complicated? Read the thread goof ball.... I didn't start this idea/rumour I just reposted it.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:42 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
And I've seen a few posts that talk about the "improved" Canadian $.

In the spring, I was listening to Patrick LaForge discuss the strengthening dollar. (it was around 0.73 at the time, i think) Some sportscaster was ooohing and ahhing about the possibilities of an 0.80 dollar this fall and Patrick said that wouldn't help at all. Apparently the Oilers have to convert the entire year's salaries to American $$ shortly after the end of the season. So they have already purchased the American money for this year. At what rate? I don't know.
Last year the Oiler's purchased American dollars at 66 cents according to a report I heard from LaForge. I am not certain why they would have to convert after the end of the season since they wouldn't have any money at that point since revenue is pretty much non-existent except for playoff receipts until the season ticket base starts to come in. What may be true is that LaForge played the futures market and bet that the rate wouldn't get much better and I am fairly certain that is what he said he does. In that you commit to buy at a certain rate at a later date so that he is tied up. The rate at that time is like you said - about 73 - 74 cents. If he locked in the majority of his payroll at 73 cents he has an extra 7 cents per dollar. To keep the math simple the difference on $30 million US is like this. $45 million Cdn gives you 29.7 mil US at a 66 cent conversion. $45 million Cdn gives you $32.85 US at a 73 cent conversion or roughly $3 million more. Since they claim they lost $2 mil last year and the payroll has probably increased marginally I would say that they are viewing the value of the dollar as a break even event but hoping to make more on the naming of the facility. Either way I wouldn't think KLowe would be spending money to annoy every other player in the dressing room.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:48 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

It is true that a guy like Smyth would have to scratch his head and say jeez, thanks, if the Oilers went out and got a guy like Brind'Amour (like I have said). That would be one of the negatives of the deal. I mean the guy takes quite a bit less then he deserves because you tell him you just can't afford to take on more salary, and then you go out and pay somebody else who hasn't done anything for the organization much more then eh's making..... good point, I never thought about that. I don't want to see SMyth mad about getting screwed over.....

Old
09-30-2003, 06:49 AM
hackey

Quote:
Is it complicated? Read the thread goof ball.... I didn't start this idea/rumour I just reposted it.
Why the hell would Lowe get Schneider for $3.5M when he can't sign Comrie for $3M. Idiotic post.
Now be a good boy and stop wasting bandwidth. Go do your Math homework.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:58 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Why the hell would Lowe get Schneider for $3.5M when he can't sign Comrie for $3M. Idiotic post.
Now be a good boy and stop wasting bandwidth. Go do your Math homework.
it's not about what Lowe can afford to pay Comrie, it's what he thinks is right. Nothing to do with what they can afford because if thats the case they could sign him to the same deal he had last year. My math homework? Sorry, no math this semester..... go change your avatar.... You never did answer my question of if that is you.......

Old
09-30-2003, 10:28 AM
barto

If Schneider really does get put on waivers AND if no one takes him (salary or whatever), then the Oilers COULD try to work out a deal with Detroit for a trade where the Wings pick up a good chunk of Schneider's salary for the year... Otherwise, yeah, it's a pretty tough move to make.

I liked the Woolley idea last year, too, and think he could help out on the blue line. But I think Lowe is going to see how Bergeron does on the PP before making a move like that for someone else.

Bart

Old
09-30-2003, 10:31 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:

my bad - I was there the other day and I could swear I saw
14. Edmonton.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:35 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Last year the Oiler's purchased American dollars at 66 cents according to a report I heard from LaForge. I am not certain why they would have to convert after the end of the season since they wouldn't have any money at that point since revenue is pretty much non-existent except for playoff receipts until the season ticket base starts to come in. What may be true is that LaForge played the futures market and bet that the rate wouldn't get much better and I am fairly certain that is what he said he does. In that you commit to buy at a certain rate at a later date so that he is tied up. The rate at that time is like you said - about 73 - 74 cents. If he locked in the majority of his payroll at 73 cents he has an extra 7 cents per dollar. To keep the math simple the difference on $30 million US is like this. $45 million Cdn gives you 29.7 mil US at a 66 cent conversion. $45 million Cdn gives you $32.85 US at a 73 cent conversion or roughly $3 million more. Since they claim they lost $2 mil last year and the payroll has probably increased marginally I would say that they are viewing the value of the dollar as a break even event but hoping to make more on the naming of the facility. Either way I wouldn't think KLowe would be spending money to annoy every other player in the dressing room.
Thanx, theoil. I was hoping someone in the know would come and explain it.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:55 AM
hockeyaddict101

Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
and an article was written on Tuesday Sept 16th by Dan Barnes of the Journal.

In it he highlights that the Oilers are in the best financial shape since 1999. Laforge basically says that they are budgeting to break even and have 10 million in reserve and could survive the next two years if not a single game is played.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:22 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
and an article was written on Tuesday Sept 16th by Dan Barnes of the Journal.

In it he highlights that the Oilers are in the best financial shape since 1999. Laforge basically says that they are budgeting to break even and have 10 million in reserve and could survive the next two years if not a single game is played.
I love how the Oilers (and in turn the NHL) are nulling the PA's "expect no hockey for a year and a half to two years" comments IN PUPLIC to the players. So go ahead Godenow (sp? even if is wrong he doesn't deserve it to be right) and force a stalemate that will see two years without hockey. It will hurt the players in the long run, because eventually some high quality hockey would start up again, but this time there would already be strict rules in place to look after this situation.

Closed Thread