HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
What's with all the Nebraska hate? Outside of the last 6 or 7 years, they've been a pretty strong program. I realize their academic standards aren't as high as the other Big-10 schools, but I'm sure they would improve once they were added.
I think I should point out that PSU's academic reputation wasn't nearly as good as it has been since joining the Big 10. I see no reason why Nebraska and Mizzou wouldn't be the same.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:39 PM
invictus

I just wonder how long the process will actually take. I mean, will it just come down to a vote from the 11 current Big 10 schools and 6+ votes in favor lets them in?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:48 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Just a lot of flak IMO. Kansas has a horrible football program in comparison to Mizzu and with all the dealings that just happened with their former HC, it only got a lot worse. For that program's sake, they need that revenue because to think they'll be in a BCS game coming out of the Big 12 is going to be next to impossible.

Far as Texas goes, that is kind of a moot point. Arkansas is in the SEC where they are playing in one of the toughest conferences in football year in and year out, and Texas isn't exactly hurting either. Arkansas and Texas really didn't lose any money. As I just stated though, Kansas is not known as a football college, its a basketball college. They need $1,000,000.
Kansas has a pretty terrible football history, but who are you kidding, Missouri's isn't all that amazing. No conference titles since 1968 (and that was a shared title at that). What was their last major bowl victory? The '66 Sugar Bowl maybe?

Old
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Hawksfan12*

As a Michigan Fan this is extremly important

When would the Team(s) join the Big 10 if they did?

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Its one of the most prestigious medical programs in the world and a leading research university. Its consistently in the top 60 in world rankings. The other programs are nice and all I'm sure, but its the medical side of thing that puts Pitt up there. On rankings and affiliation scales it would be in the top third of the Big Ten.

Its still far from the best institution in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon), but of D-1 programs its in that second wave of academic programs (effectively about a third of the Pac-10 is the top tier).

I grew up a Penn State, for the record, and when it comes to the FBS I am still a Penn State guy. Pitt just fits the Big Ten persona so perfectly. The only ARWU Top 100 listed school that the Big Ten invited in this group would be Rutgers, who at spot #55 ranks lower than Pitt (50). In the present Big Ten only Iowa isn't ranked in the top 100. Even then Iowa ranks higher than Nebraska (Iowa in the top half of the 100s, Nebraska in the lower...they don't specify rankings past 100. Notre Dame & Missouri are on the same level as Buffalo and Southern Florida).

Though lists like that tend to change drastically year-to-year (Carnegie Mellon has top 5 rankings and is #59 there. Washington University in St. Louis (#29) is not a lesser institution than Minnesota (28), etc.).
Seriously. Pitt happens to be a pretty good school, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a student there.

Anyway, I would be totally for a move to the Big 10. As you've said, they seem to be a perfect fit for the conference. However, Pitt will lose Jamie Dixon if they move and that's one of the reasons many are ambivalent. Even though Dixon made the BBall program what it is today (along with Ben Howland), Pitt is historically a football school and hopefully Pederson (our AD) will release that and push for it harder.

I know that's a bit off-topic, but people should know what the full backstory is. A lot of students are very split about this topic, but the money, exposure, and increase in academic standards (which are already good, thank you) among other positives far outweigh staying in a struggling Big East conference.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I just wonder how long the process will actually take. I mean, will it just come down to a vote from the 11 current Big 10 schools and 6+ votes in favor lets them in?
Well, first the schools have to accept the invitation. 95% sure Mizzou, Rutgers will. 80% on Nebraska and 95% sure that Notre Dame won't. Then it goes to a vote I guess.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

On a related topic PAC-10 is considering raiding the B12 for more teams. Texas, Oklahoma St, and some other teams.

To be honest, I think everything is fine as is. But the word is eventually you will have 4 super-conferences instead of the 6 we have now, and the Big 12 and East will be disbanded, which is ridiculous IMO.

One thing I would never want to see is the BE disbanded. I don't care about the football, but the basketball would be a shame. BE Basketball is all about MSG.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:34 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
On a related topic PAC-10 is considering raiding the B12 for more teams. Texas, Oklahoma St, and some other teams.

To be honest, I think everything is fine as is. But the word is eventually you will have 4 super-conferences instead of the 6 we have now, and the Big 12 and East will be disbanded, which is ridiculous IMO.

One thing I would never want to see is the BE disbanded. I don't care about the football, but the basketball would be a shame. BE Basketball is all about MSG.
Big East basketball will still exist, just in a different form. It will be back closer to where it was pre-expansion IMO just with a few different teams.

Losing some recent top teams like Cuse, Louisville, West Virginia and Pitt will hurt on the basketball side, but they'll be replaced by quality programs.

I see the new Big East basketball conference looking as such:
Georgetown
Villanova
Notre Dame (remains independent in football)
Marquette
Providence
Seton Hall
St John's
Depaul
Xavier*
Temple*
Duquesne*
Dayton*

* - added from A-10

still a pretty formidable conference, especially adding traditional mid-major powers Xavier, Temple and Dayton. Duquesne I could see them adding simply to keep a presence in the Pittsburgh/Western PA market.

Not sure I'd put that conference on par with the ACC if they were to add Cuse and WVU, but I would put it on par with any other conference in basketball including the Big 10.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Only half of the Big East Schools play FBS football anyways. You could conceivably disband the football conference, it's not like football schools actually want to be in it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Only half of the Big East Schools play FBS football anyways. You could conceivably disband the football conference, it's not like football schools actually want to be in it.
Prettymuch, when the balance of power shifted to being completely basketball oriented following the ACC bringing in BC, Miami and VT things went south in a big way between the basketball only schools and the football schools. Adding Marquette and DePaul ensured that there would be a full split between the football members and the basketball only members because there was no way in hell Notre Dame was joining. Understandably the fans of the football schools have grown increasingly pissed off with the basketball schools over the past few years.

Old
06-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
There is no way West Virginia is academically strong enough to get into the Big Ten. That's the only reason the conference hasn't looked at them as a strong candidate, because sports wise they'd be a big asset.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
There is no way West Virginia is academically strong enough to get into the Big Ten. That's the only reason the conference hasn't looked at them as a strong candidate, because sports wise they'd be a big asset.
Well, there's the population area thing too. West Virginia doesn't exactly add too many potential new customers to the Big 10 network, despite having some huge ratings on ESPN Thursday Night Football over the last 5-6 years, and let's face it that is a factor in all of this as well. Not that academics isn't an issue with WVU in it's own right, it's a pretty big one.

Old
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

WVU and tOSU in the same conference would bring about the extinction of couches.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/...=ESPNHeadlines

Quote:
The Big 12 has drawn a line in the sand for at least two member schools.

The conference, amid a chorus of story lines that would all significantly change the face of big-league college sports, has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

The Big 12's university presidents decided on imposing the ultimatum, two highly placed officials within two of the conference schools said, according to the newspaper.

"Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they're going to do," one school official said, according to the The American-Statesman. "The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they're not going to the Big Ten."

Old
06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The article continues:

Quote:
The school official then said to the Nebraska AD due to confusion "That's when Mickey's short arm is on the 5 and his long arm is on the 12."

"No, not in the morning!"

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
I'm really curious as to what happens to Big East basketball. I don't care where Pitt football ends up, but I don't want the in-conference basketball schedule to become a tour of Iowa.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Where are all these Nebraska academic jokes coming from, they have been members of the Association of American Universities(an unofficial Big Ten requirement) since 1909, prior to the membership of many current Big Ten members.

In addition the University of Nebraska has won more Academic All Americans in football than any other school.

They will certainly not be out of place academically in the Big Ten.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Where are all these Nebraska academic jokes coming from, they have been members of the Association of American Universities(an unofficial Big Ten requirement) since 1909, prior to the membership of many current Big Ten members.

In addition the University of Nebraska has won more Academic All Americans in football than any other school.

They will certainly not be out of place academically in the Big Ten.
So an Academic All-American at Nebraska is a diminished standard. Kind of like their non-conference record.

Last edited by Hasbro: 06-07-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old
06-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Rambling on unfairness of BCS and blaming this for demolition of B12

Quote:
Conference expansion is about to forever alter college athletics: destroying traditions, hammering taxpayers and increasing competition. It will leave once-major programs out of the loop, consolidate power and extend the gap between haves and have nots – even within leagues such as the Big Ten.

No one is in a more desperate spot than the Big 12, which this week could see as many as eight league members receive invites to leave.

It’s all because of money. And when it comes to money in college athletics it all comes back to one thing – the leaking oil disaster that is the BCS.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Well, they're right. They don't want Boise State and TCU taking pieces of their pie unless they're part of the club.

Pac-10 ready to move on this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5257774

Talk is that there would be the two divisions, where essentially the Big 12 South (with Colorado) moves to the Pac-10, and Arizona and Arizona State move in to their division.

Last edited by GKJ: 06-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old
06-07-2010, 10:49 AM
invictus

Quote:
Well, they're right. They don't want Boise State and TCU taking pieces of their pie unless they're part of the club.

Pac-10 ready to move on this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5257774

Talk is that there would be the two divisions, where essentially the Big 12 South (with Colorado) moves to the Pac-10, and Arizona and Arizona State move in to their division.
Adding to what that article says, I think Baylor has a better shot at going. The local news (I live by KC, so it is probably biased) was talking about how Colorado is not in a very financially sound position right now, and with talks of having to buy out their football coach, pay the new one and staff, etc.....they might not even be able to afford to make the jump.

If all this did happen, I guess the 2 Kansas schools would just be ****ed Kansas would be just another midmajor in basketball if nobody wants them

Old
06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Adding to what that article says, I think Baylor has a better shot at going. The local news (I live by KC, so it is probably biased) was talking about how Colorado is not in a very financially sound position right now, and with talks of having to buy out their football coach, pay the new one and staff, etc.....they might not even be able to afford to make the jump.

If all this did happen, I guess the 2 Kansas schools would just be ****ed Kansas would be just another midmajor in basketball if nobody wants them
Would Kansas consider the Big East?

Old
06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
invictus

Quote:
Well, right now our AD has been getting caught up in a ticket scandal, so he seems a bit more concerned with not getting fired and all.

So far, KU's stance as far as I can tell is "we'd like to keep the Big 12 together as currently constructed", but I am sure phone calls are being made behind closed doors.

If anything of note gets mentioned on the local news, I'll be sure to post it.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
honestly that would be a brilliant move on the Big East's part if the ACC and SEC stand pat with all this expansion talk.

Mizzou and Nebraska go to the Big 10 from the Big 12, Rutgers from the Big East.

Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, OK State, A&M and Texas Tech to the Pac 10 (16)

Big East splits from the basketball-only schools. Adds Kansas, K State and Iowa State. Maybe Houston or TCU and ECU as well.

Old
06-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
More to do with Baylor politicing into the conference despite being a weaker representative like they did with the Big XII. The PAC-10 would rather have the Denver Media market than a 4th Texas school.

I'd be ok with CU in the Mountain West if it isn't relegated to mid-major status, but given that this is even a bigger case of big conference greed I doubt it.

I think the federal government needs to get involved now.