HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Part VII Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2010, 09:59 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Jones messing with the Canadian media again?

I'm shocked there wasn't a follow-up question from the reporter, aren't you? That's a pretty significant statement to be made and just left there hanging by the reporter. If we're all jumping on it here, shouldn't it have piqued the curiosity of a professional journalist?
yes i think i would have expected the reporter (Wiebe) to ask if Jones were referring to "their bank financing or the formation of the CFD" at a minimum?

either way i would say it doesn't sound like all forms of financing are in the bag yet on this deal so the next few weeks might "continue" to prove interesting.

given the Jones statement the CoG granting exclusivity is somewhat surprising? i guess that is why they have 10 days to show the CoG the money assuming their MOU is approved by the CoG

Old
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
yes i think i would have expected the reporter (Wiebe) to ask if Jones were referring to "their bank financing or the formation of the CFD" at a minimum?

either way i would say it doesn't sound like all forms of financing are in the bag yet on this deal so the next few weeks might "continue" to prove interesting.

given the Jones statement the CoG granting exclusivity is somewhat surprising? i guess that is why they have 10 days to show the CoG the money assuming their MOU is approved by the CoG
The process remains a bit puzzling.

The CoG has repeatedly stated that it intends to submit at least two ownership options to the NHL for their consideration by June 30. Presumably, that would be JR and IEH.

I assume that Glendale is contemplating that IEH will have the financing, and thereby exclusive negotiating rights for another 60 days.

But what if the NHL decides that it prefers Reinsdorf's deal? Based on what a number of folks who seem to be somewhat close to the situation have posted, the NHL much prefers Reinsdorf as an owner. Moreover, his offer seems the most solid for the NHL in terms of financing and stability (minimum of 5-7 years stable ownership in Glendale vs. 180 day "out clause" for IEH within the first 5 years). The Reinsdorf deal might be more onerous for Glendale, but why should the NHL be concerned if Glendale has already approved it (in principle)?

So, IEH not only has to convince Glendale that it has a suitable arrangement, but also has to convince the NHL that it is a better option than Reinsdorf.

So, if Glendale does present two options to the NHL and they prefer Reinsdorf, how would this play out? IEH is given exclusivity, but the NHL comes back and says "sorry, we have chosen Reinsdorf". I presume that he doesn't need to still pay the $25 million to void the exclusivity clause to get back into negotiations because IEH becomes irrelevant. So, doesn't Reinsdorf then realize that he is Glendale's only option (because he is the NHL's choice), and keep Glendale on the hook for the $25 million next year while he gets as advantageous a deal as possible?

Old
06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I'm very interested in finding out just how much of their own money these guys have, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants you to question the supposed wealth of the Ice Edge guys. Even if they have found some rich guys to play with, the question isn't whether they have some guys with net worths of $100 million +, it's how much are these so-called hundred-millionaires willing to put into the team? Unless they're majority investors, it means very little. If a guy with $7 billion in net worth invests $500k in the Coyotes, that does little to help their financial situation, it just gives them a whole $500k more than they would have otherwise had.
True. Same with Reinsdorf. Who does he have, how much is he putting in compared to others? We know he is getting $65 mil from the CFD to actually purchase the team where IEH's is a little more blurry (especially since the loans they may be getting require any profit to be used to pay down the loan).

Old
06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The process remains a bit puzzling.

The CoG has repeatedly stated that it intends to submit at least two ownership options to the NHL for their consideration by June 30. Presumably, that would be JR and IEH.

I assume that Glendale is contemplating that IEH will have the financing, and thereby exclusive negotiating rights for another 60 days.

But what if the NHL decides that it prefers Reinsdorf's deal? Based on what a number of folks who seem to be somewhat close to the situation have posted, the NHL much prefers Reinsdorf as an owner. Moreover, his offer seems the most solid for the NHL in terms of financing and stability (minimum of 5-7 years stable ownership in Glendale vs. 180 day "out clause" for IEH within the first 5 years). The Reinsdorf deal might be more onerous for Glendale, but why should the NHL be concerned if Glendale has already approved it (in principle)?

So, IEH not only has to convince Glendale that it has a suitable arrangement, but also has to convince the NHL that it is a better option than Reinsdorf.

So, if Glendale does present two options to the NHL and they prefer Reinsdorf, how would this play out? IEH is given exclusivity, but the NHL comes back and says "sorry, we have chosen Reinsdorf". I presume that he doesn't need to still pay the $25 million to void the exclusivity clause to get back into negotiations because IEH becomes irrelevant. So, doesn't Reinsdorf then realize that he is Glendale's only option (because he is the NHL's choice), and keep Glendale on the hook for the $25 million next year while he gets as advantageous a deal as possible?
IEH exclusiveness is not in place if another party ponies up $25 million or IEH can not prove financing in 10 days.

If IEH does provide proof of financing, if JR want to continue negotiating on the lease and for the team he has to come up with $25 million.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
IEH exclusiveness is not in place if another party ponies up $25 million or IEH can not prove financing in 10 days.

If IEH does provide proof of financing, if JR want to continue negotiating on the lease and for the team he has to come up with $25 million.
What happens if the NHL chooses Reinsdorf and rejects IEH during the 60 day exclusivity window? Wouldn't that invalidate IEH a priori. Why bother with further negotiations?

Glendale has been clear that they would like to forward the two proposals to the NHL by June 30.

Oh, and I have been wondering why Reinsdorf has to pay $25 million to break the exclusivity deal, when all IEH had to do to get exclusivity was ask for it and show that they had bank financing in place. Why wouldn't Glendale have asked IEH for $25 million to get the exclusivity they wanted so badly?

Last edited by Whileee: 06-07-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
What happens if the NHL chooses Reinsdorf and rejects IEH during the 60 day exclusivity window? Wouldn't that invalidate IEH a priori. Why bother with further negotiations?

Glendale has been clear that they would like to forward the two proposals to the NHL by June 30.

Oh, and I have been wondering why Reinsdorf has to pay $25 million to break the exclusivity deal, when all IEH had to do to get exclusivity was ask for it and show that they had bank financing in place. Why wouldn't Glendale have asked IEH for $25 million to get the exclusivity they wanted so badly?
The window is only open if JR does not put down the $25 mil or if IEH fails to provide their financing. I would imaging the NHL is going to approve IEH but that process may not be for a while. Has JR even been approved yet by the NHL?

Old
06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:

You seem to be mixing up the NHL and Glendale.

Quote:
The window is only open if JR does not put down the $25 mil or if IEH fails to provide their financing. I would imaging the NHL is going to approve IEH but that process may not be for a while. Has JR even been approved yet by the NHL?
JR was approved at the same time as Balsillie was rejected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I won't even get into the parking debate on whether $7.5 million is a realistic number for each year, since it isn't.
That certainly is a persuasive argument. I got nothing.

Quote:
As for ticket surcharges at Coyotes games, uh, why not just increase the price? Fans balk at raising a $35 ticket to $40, no problem, let's call it a $35 ticket and a $5 surcharge, that'll work!
... because then it goes to reduce the CFD's funding obligation, that's why.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2k2 View Post
You seem to be mixing up the NHL and Glendale.
Glendale proposes buyers to the NHL by June 30 based on suitable MOUs. The NHL gets to choose the buyer. What am I mixing up?

Old
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Glendale proposes buyers to the NHL by June 30 based on suitable MOUs. The NHL gets to choose the buyer. What am I mixing up?
Because you are trying to use the idea that the NHL might get a $25M deposit from someone for the purchase of the team as a reason why the City of Glendale might ask for a $25M deposit.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Because you are trying to use the idea that the NHL might get a $25M deposit from someone for the purchase of the team as a reason why the City of Glendale might ask for a $25M deposit.
Okay. So why would Glendale require one bidder to deposit $25 million with the NHL to void exclusivity, and not have the same requirement for a bidder that is asking for the exclusivity? Does that work better semantically?

Old
06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
What happens if the NHL doesnt like either bid from JR or IEH?
Keep the team funded by the losses by the CoG and wait for another owner to show up by the end of next season?

Old
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
LT

I guess we will have this clarified at some point but it sounds like the COG is going to forward both groups to the NHL. If that's true then what is the point of the 60 day exculsive agreement? The only thing I can think of is maybe Ice Edge agreed that they were willing to let the NHL pick which group and then after that point wanted exclusivity to work towards an arena lease agreement. I don't quite understand the point of any of this. Why didn't the COG just pass on the Reinsdorf MOU and then work with him? They have to know that the NHL would pick JR over Ice Edge considering he was hand picked by them before the bankruptcy. I just don't see the logic in refusing the Ice Edge MOU and then going back to them only to forward JR's MOU along with IE's??? I just don't get it.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
jamwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
I guess we will have this clarified at some point but it sounds like the COG is going to forward both groups to the NHL. If that's true then what is the point of the 60 day exculsive agreement? The only thing I can think of is maybe Ice Edge agreed that they were willing to let the NHL pick which group and then after that point wanted exclusivity to work towards an arena lease agreement. I don't quite understand the point of any of this. Why didn't the COG just pass on the Reinsdorf MOU and then work with him? They have to know that the NHL would pick JR over Ice Edge considering he was hand picked by them before the bankruptcy. I just don't see the logic in refusing the Ice Edge MOU and then going back to them only to forward JR's MOU along with IE's??? I just don't get it.
I don't get it either. This is one of the most bizarre situations I've ever encountered.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
JR was approved at the same time as Balsillie was rejected.

I thought that was the case. Did IEH even apply yet?

Old
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Scottrocks58*

Quote:
I thought that was the case. Did IEH even apply yet?
As I recall they were given a pass - the league liked what they saw but sought more data.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
LT, the COG doesnt' pass-on the MOU's to the NHL, they pass-on a finalized AMULA, hence the request for the 60 day exclusivity from IEH after its' MOU is approved (or not) tomorrow night. They then have 10 days to show their financial bona=fides', 60 days to finalize the AMULA. IE includes in their MOU that the exclusivity clause can only be waived if the other bidder ('s) deposit $25M with the COG, which isnt likely to happen, thus boxing in further the COG in terms of timing & alternatives. Glendale has stated that it wants' to provide the NHL with as many suitors as possible. Is it coincidence that IEH's $25M "show-call" is the same amount the COG had to guarantee the NHL?. Whats' changed since Dec-Feb with IE when they had exclusivity, a time when buying the club made even more sense in terms of sales & marketing for 2010-11 & beyond, then here & now at twenty past midnight?. It seems the only group that has even the slightest clue as to what their doing is the Reinsdorf camp, & their not talking (why would they?).

Old
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
I don't get it either. This is one of the most bizarre situations I've ever encountered.
I have a hypothesis about the City of Glendale's thinking about all this, but have been cautioned not to engage in speculation so I will withhold my thoughts for now. Besides, the current situation is much more interesting and baffling than anyone could have speculated several weeks ago.

Old
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
As I recall they were given a pass - the league liked what they saw but sought more data.
That "data" being their financials'. Remember, it was various members of the BOG's who were quoted as being "skeptical" about IE in that regard; skepticism that has grown exponentially over the past 8 months. Dont get me wrong, I like these guys, their enthusiasm, but boy oh boy, they sure remind me a lot of the Len Barries & Oren Koules of the league in many ways.

Old
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
LT, the COG doesnt' pass-on the MOU's to the NHL, they pass-on a finalized AMULA, hence the request for the 60 day exclusivity from IEH after its' MOU is approved (or not) tomorrow night. They then have 10 days to show their financial bona=fides', 60 days to finalize the AMULA. IE includes in their MOU that the exclusivity clause can only be waived if the other bidder ('s) deposit $25M with the COG, which isnt likely to happen, thus boxing in further the COG in terms of timing & alternatives. Glendale has stated that it wants' to provide the NHL with as many suitors as possible. Is it coincidence that IEH's $25M "show-call" is the same amount the COG had to guarantee the NHL?. Whats' changed since Dec-Feb with IE when they had exclusivity, a time when buying the club made even more sense in terms of sales & marketing for 2010-11 & beyond, then here & now at twenty past midnight?. It seems the only group that has even the slightest clue as to what their doing is the Reinsdorf camp, & their not talking (why would they?).
That timeline makes sense based on the most recent developments, but how would you interpret the following, which was printed in the Arizona Republic on May 27?

"Any city money paid out of the escrow account would be replenished by the new owner, Lynch said.

But how will the city recoup its money if no new buyer steps up?

'That is not the reality,' said Lynch, who refused to entertain such a notion. 'Owners are currently being pursued aggressively.'

City Manager Ed Beasley said the city is on track to submit a recommended buyer or buyers to the NHL by June 30."

This doesn't sound as though the city is comfortable having negotiations drag on, and they certainly don't seem to anticipate being on the hook for the $25 million as of July 1st.

Old
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
That timeline makes sense based on the most recent developments, but how would you interpret the following, which was printed in the Arizona Republic on May 27?

"Any city money paid out of the escrow account would be replenished by the new owner, Lynch said.

'That is not the reality,' said Lynch, who refused to entertain such a notion. 'Owners are currently being pursued aggressively.'

City Manager Ed Beasley said the city is on track to submit a recommended buyer or buyers to the NHL by June 30."

This doesn't sound as though the city is comfortable having negotiations drag on, and they certainly don't seem to anticipate being on the hook for the $25 million as of July 1st.
Quoted your post in its entirety as it bears reading twice. We are supposed to believe IE will be able to accomplish within the next 27 days what it failed to accomplish over 3+mnths & a couple of false starts last spring/summer?. That the COG will agree to the "Exclusivity" clause & draw this thing out beyond July 01?. That JR in a sudden act of magnanimity will cut a cheque for $25M to insure he's not left out of the bidding process?. Sure. Makes sense to me.

Old
06-07-2010, 01:26 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

Quote:

There is nothing more I hate than absolutes during a time of flux.

I have been watching the Bettman press-conference again recently and it appears he makes two different messages.

First he states that the Coyotes are staying for next year. 3 sentences later he states he hopes and his intent is to have the Coyotes staying for next year. Again... another absolute followed by a 'not so sure' statement.

Take a listen... again

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=35&id=71012

Last edited by AllByDesign: 06-07-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
06-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Quoted your post in its entirety as it bears reading twice. We are supposed to believe IE will be able to accomplish within the next 27 days what it failed to accomplish over 3+mnths & a couple of false starts last spring/summer?. That the COG will agree to the "Exclusivity" clause & draw this thing out beyond July 01?. That JR in a sudden act of magnanimity will cut a cheque for $25M to insure he's not left out of the bidding process?. Sure. Makes sense to me.
Well, my interpretation is that either the Glendale city officials are grossly optimistic about the timelines, or they are blowing smoke about June 30 and the $25 million liability. It's often works okay for private businessmen to blow smoke for the media and the public, but it usually comes back to bite politicians and bureaucrats hard, especially when the time gap between the statements and the outcome is short.\

How do you interpret these statements?

Old
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
How do you interpret these statements?
In a word; "Pollyannish".

Old
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
I am just wondering, for the sake of discussion ...

What makes all you guys think that this $25M/exclusivity clause is at all directed at Reinsdorf?

Is it possible that JR has his deal worked out with the CoG (hence no need to worry about him in terms of exclusivity any more), and the CoG is simply covering its bases by sending two fully negotiated transactions to the NHL? In this scenario, if asked "well, if JR has his deal worked out already, then why does IEH need exclusivity?", the answer of course would be "because bidder #3 is sniffing around, but has not gone far enough along with their due diligence to indicate their seriousness, and until they do by submitting a $25M deposit, IEH wants CoG to ignore them."

Honestly, this idea of connecting JR to the $25M clause seems a little absurd.
Truth be told, I never considered that, but it makes sense. Goes to show that even though things may not make sense to us, it's very possible because we don't have the full picture.

Old
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM
RR

Quote:
I am just wondering, for the sake of discussion ...

What makes all you guys think that this $25M/exclusivity clause is at all directed at Reinsdorf?

Is it possible that JR has his deal worked out with the CoG (hence no need to worry about him in terms of exclusivity any more), and the CoG is simply covering its bases by sending two fully negotiated transactions to the NHL? In this scenario, if asked "well, if JR has his deal worked out already, then why does IEH need exclusivity?", the answer of course would be "because bidder #3 is sniffing around, but has not gone far enough along with their due diligence to indicate their seriousness, and until they do by submitting a $25M deposit, IEH wants CoG to ignore them."

Honestly, this idea of connecting JR to the $25M clause seems a little absurd.
Impossible since we haven't been told about it.

Seriously, we discussed this idea in another forum and it makes sense. JRs deal is done; IEH gets an exclusive window to complete its negotiations; if another group wants to join in on the fun they need to put up the cash to show they're serious.

Last edited by RR: 06-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Closed Thread