HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rutherford: Whitney unlikely to sign with Canes

Old
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
Right on. I was wondering why so many around here were resigned to the idea that Whitney would be back in Carolina.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Svatos is fra-gi-le. Misses about 20 games a season on average, and though he's been on some ****** teams I doubt he'd outscore Kunitz most years here assuming they both played their typical number of games. If he'd sign super-cheap that might be worth a shot but otherwise it's money better spent on D.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:19 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Right on. I was wondering why so many around here were resigned to the idea that Whitney would be back in Carolina.
So many or just Jags? (no offense Jags)

And LOL at 1.4 for Svatos, I like Dupuis better at that price.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
LiffLaff
Crazy? Me?

Any one know if Lisin will go to ufa if NY doesnt quallify him? Could be an option with malkin??

Whitney Crosby Tangradi
Kunitz Malkin Lisin
Dupuis Staal Kennedy
Rupp Talbot Adams
Goddard

would probably leave enough cap space to fill out the D nicely to

LiffLaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Hottubber

As for Tangradi, I dont think he should be anywhere near the top 2 lines. He should be either playing the 3rd line with Staal and Kennedy or spend the year in the AHL and be one of the top call-ups.

Whitney Crosby Dupuis (only because Whitney is there to help)
Kunitz Malkin UFA

Back to Whitney, he looked pretty good for Canada once the season was over. So for an older guy, he seemed to have a lot of gas left in the tank.

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
As for Tangradi, I dont think he should be anywhere near the top 2 lines. He should be either playing the 3rd line with Staal and Kennedy or spend the year in the AHL and be one of the top call-ups.

Whitney Crosby Dupuis (only because Whitney is there to help)
Kunitz Malkin UFA

Back to Whitney, he looked pretty good for Canada once the season was over. So for an older guy, he seemed to have a lot of gas left in the tank.
I agree with you, Tangradi should be on the third line.

Whitney - Crosby - Dupuis (Dupuis always seemed to have chemistry with Sid)
Kunitz - Malkin - UFA (Guerin? Poni? Tanguay? whoever?)
Tangradi - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Adams

That forward group would be better than what we add last year and would leave us enough money to work on the defense which is IMO the most important thing Shero has to deal with.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
If this is true, this could be good news.

Crosby and Whitney would be absolutley dynamite together. I'd LOVE to see:

Tangradi-Crosby-Whitney
Kunitz-Malkin-Talbot/Dupuis
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Rupp-Adams/Talbot-Dupuis/Adams

Much improved first line with a player who can think at a Crosby level and can both pass and score. This first line also allows our best prospect to grow with our best player.

Give Malkin a player in Kunitz who can open him up space and make all of the small plays to him. This is when Geno, IMO, has worked his best. Maybe get a deadline soft spot sniper or get someone on a cheap one year deal (Tanguay, maybe Kariya etc.). If worse comes to worse, try Whitney with Geno because we know Kunitz has worked with Crosby before.

Third line and fourth line basically the same.

In this scenario, The first and second lines are much improved IMO and this is all completed without having to trading our 1st round pick this year to get a long term fix. This way, when Whitney is done in say, two years, Tangradi is ready to contribute at an even higher level and you got our first rounder from this year waiting in the wings for Geno or Sid.
I've wondered why Kunitz was never really given a chance with Geno.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Svatos is fra-gi-le. Misses about 20 games a season on average, and though he's been on some ****** teams I doubt he'd outscore Kunitz most years here assuming they both played their typical number of games. If he'd sign super-cheap that might be worth a shot but otherwise it's money better spent on D.
I'd give Svatos a try out contract no more but I expect him to end up back in Europe.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
So many or just Jags? (no offense Jags)

And LOL at 1.4 for Svatos, I like Dupuis better at that price.
Last cap hit: 2.050 and salaries in that contract was 1.750 and 2.350. That 1.4 would be a drop of those and goals/games are pretty good, except last season. Surely 800k would be more considerible than same salary that Dupuis is making for scoring less than 20 goals per FULL season at tops. But I agree that Svatos would be a risk.

Season/Games/Goals/Assists/Points
08-09 69 14 20 34
07-08 62 26 11 37
06-07 66 15 15 30
05-06 61 32 18 50

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Jag68Sid87

Stunning development, as far as I'm concerned. Not necessarily good news, either. Must be looking for a multi-year contract. That's not necessarily a good thing.

If someone offers Whitney three years, let him go there. I think two years is do-able.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

At one time, I thought Svatos was the perfect winger for Sid. Back in those days Svatos was healthy (Before the blown out knee) He had very good speed that would allow him to keep up with Sid, he was a very good finisher and didn't really need the puck that much. He hasn't really been the same since the injury, though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Jag68Sid87

If Svatos wants to sign for $500,000 or thereabouts, I'd be down with that. He's exactly the type of down-and-out winger who could be a nice fit.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Am I the only person not foaming at the mouth to get Ray Whitney? Haven't we learned a lesson yet?
Assuming he'll be willing to take some sort of discount to play for the Pens, or at the very least the Pens don't overpay for him, then I think he'd be a great signing. The alternative is, who else can you think of that will a]cost as little as him and b]still has the skill to potentially* score 60+ points playing with Sid and/or Geno?

*He had 58 points on a team that struggled to score most of the year, and he looked good at the World Championships for Canada. Before this season, he's scored 77, 61 (in 66 games), 83, and 55 (in 63) points, respectively, prior to that. So I don't think it's too much to believe he could produce at, or slightly better, than that pace playing alongside Sid for an entire season.

Guerin, in contrast (the guy I'm sure you're eluding to), had seasons of 44 and 48 points, respectively, before this season. And other than a solid 36 goal season in 2006-07, has failed to record more than 60 points in any season since the lockout.

So while both are, indeed, up there at an age you should be a little worried about, in one case (Whitney) he's still proving to be a decent point producer, while the other case (Guerin) had shown even before he landed in Pittsburgh that he topped out at around 45 to 50 points (at best) for the past five or so years.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
vyktor

I though the idea was to put Whitney with Malkin so he could take draws

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:59 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Last cap hit: 2.050 and salaries in that contract was 1.750 and 2.350. That 1.4 would be a drop of those and goals/games are pretty good, except last season. Surely 800k would be more considerible than same salary that Dupuis is making for scoring less than 20 goals per FULL season at tops. But I agree that Svatos would be a risk.

Season/Games/Goals/Assists/Points
08-09 69 14 20 34
07-08 62 26 11 37
06-07 66 15 15 30
05-06 61 32 18 50
I think the bidding starts low for a guy that was playing 11 minutes a game last year.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

So with Whitney the top 6 could be:

Whitney - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Johnson/Tangradi/Talbot/Kennedy

I could live with that, even though it looks rather soft. Whitney signing a favorable deal could go a long way towards beefing up the blue-line.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Assuming he'll be willing to take some sort of discount to play for the Pens, or at the very least the Pens don't overpay for him, then I think he'd be a great signing. The alternative is, who else can you think of that will a]cost as little as him and b]still has the skill to potentially* score 60+ points playing with Sid and/or Geno?

*He had 58 points on a team that struggled to score most of the year, and he looked good at the World Championships for Canada. Before this season, he's scored 77, 61 (in 66 games), 83, and 55 (in 63) points, respectively, prior to that. So I don't think it's too much to believe he could produce at, or slightly better, than that pace playing alongside Sid for an entire season.

Guerin, in contrast (the guy I'm sure you're eluding to), had seasons of 44 and 48 points, respectively, before this season. And other than a solid 36 goal season in 2006-07, has failed to record more than 60 points in any season since the lockout.

So while both are, indeed, up there at an age you should be a little worried about, in one case (Whitney) he's still proving to be a decent point producer, while the other case (Guerin) had shown even before he landed in Pittsburgh that he topped out at around 45 to 50 points (at best) for the past five or so years.
Plus he knows how to handle the puck which is something we haven't had in a winger since Hossa. He'd help the PP a lot to, he can make back door passes to Crosby and vice versa.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Pens1566

You'll have to excuse me if I don't pitch a tent over an aging winger that will probably cost more than he's worth. We've seen this movie too many times the last few seasons ...

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Plus he knows how to handle the puck which is something we haven't had in a winger since Hossa. He'd help the PP a lot to, he can make back door passes to Crosby and vice versa.
I think we need to stop looking at age and just draw on the games we've seen him play this year.

He's not Guerin - I can't move my feet - old. If a guy can still wheel and shoot, I don't see what the problem is, especially when you look at the rest of the FA crop.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Dan Barr

You people comparing Whitney to Guerin are silly.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Do it Ray...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I think we need to stop looking at age and just draw on the games we've seen him play this year.

He's not Guerin - I can't move my feet - old. If a guy can still wheel and shoot, I don't see what the problem is, especially when you look at the rest of the FA crop.
Exactly. Plays like this...

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah I'd hate to have a guy like that on our team. He's no Feds!

Seriously, I'm fine with it as long as it's a reasonable hit for 2 years or a relatively cheap hit for 3. He's not ideal but UFA options are uber-limited this year so we could do worse. He'd certainly be a better signing than Guerin was (either year).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Exactly. Plays like this...

Forget the dekes, because once in a while a fourth liner can try some Midget AAA move that works for whatever reason...

Guerin can't move like that through the neutral zone with that speed.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Jag68Sid87

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty here. If Whitney's camp wants a NTC or NMC, do you give him one? If they insist on three years, do you give in? If they want more than $3 million, how high are you willing to go?

It's easy to jot him into our lineup, but it's a lot harder to make these uber-tough decisions.

For the record, I'd go as high as 2 years, $6 million...no NTC or NMC of any kind. I guess he's older than 35 so the NMC is not a factor I guess. Still, my point stands.