HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-07-2010, 01:18 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 View Post
lol.

I'll admit, the guy DOES look like a ****** bag.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
My least favorite player.

But what do you guys think the odds are of getting Byfuglian?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
My least favorite player.

But what do you guys think the odds are of getting Byfuglian?
ZERO!!! But a man can dream can't he...

Old
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Just been amazing in the playoffs. Like how can you not figure out to just keep him with Towes and Kane

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Just been amazing in the playoffs. Like how can you not figure out to just keep him with Towes and Kane
No, I think Coach Q did a marvelous job forcing Laviolette to choose between using Pronger on Byfuglien or Toews early in the game. Splitting up those three guys opened the ice up so much for each one of them, and you could see how each one could, in their own manner, dominate when Pronger wasnt around. Byfuglien was the epitomy of a bull in a china shop last night.

In a way, as much as I hate the guy, its a testament to just how good Pronger is. He makes it very difficult for smaller players and bigger players alike

My favorite moment of last night's game was Bolland's goal, as he shoots it behind Leighton, off his skate and into the net and one of the camera angles shows Pronger, watching the puck go into the back of the net, just tilt his head back in . . . almost disgust. I LOVED IT!

Of course my second favorite was watching Byfuglien just light up Pronger and send him off balance, hard and awkwardly into the corner boards. Not long after that hit, Emerick stole my line: "that hockey is not a sport for the faint of heart."

And I must say, Pronger is, without a doubt judged by a second set of (less restrictive) rules, not applicable to any other player.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Jim Rutherford pretty much confirming that Ray Whitney is prepared to hit free agency: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...likely-to-sign

It is possible for Lombardi to make a pitch and submit an offer to Whitney, seeing how he had a deal set in place to acquire him and was willing to sign Whitney to a one-year extension (Whitney was intent on getting two-years).

He'd be a welcomed addition in the top six, in addition to the Kings signing one of the top names, whether it be Kovalchuk or Marleau. Although for that to happen, the Kings would likely have to find a new home for Justin Williams and/or Jarret Stoll.

Imagine this top nine:
Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Whitney
Richardson-Handzus-Simmonds

Speed, skill, grit, all covered in every line.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Jim Rutherford pretty much confirming that Ray Whitney is prepared to hit free agency: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...likely-to-sign

It is possible for Lombardi to make a pitch and submit an offer to Whitney, seeing how he had a deal set in place to acquire him and was willing to sign Whitney to a one-year extension (Whitney was intent on getting two-years).

He'd be a welcomed addition in the top six, in addition to the Kings signing one of the top names, whether it be Kovalchuk or Marleau. Although for that to happen, the Kings would likely have to find a new home for Justin Williams and/or Jarret Stoll.

Imagine this top nine:
Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Whitney

Speed, skill, grit, all covered in every line.
I may not be correct on this but wasnt he actually looking for three years?

Old
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I may not be correct on this but wasnt he actually looking for three years?
You are correct, it was three-years according to Bob McKenzie, http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=308689

Although I do recall reading somewhere that Whitney's demands went down to two-years later on. Whatever it may be, I wouldn't mind seeing Whitney signed to a two-year deal that pays him in the neighborhood of $2.5-3M. I believe given his age, he is eligible to sign a contract with incentive clauses.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
You are correct, it was three-years according to Bob McKenzie, http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=308689

Although I do recall reading somewhere that Whitney's demands went down to two-years later on. Whatever it may be, I wouldn't mind seeing Whitney signed to a two-year deal that pays him in the neighborhood of $2.5-3M. I believe given his age, he is eligible to sign a contract with incentive clauses.
As a replacement for Frolov, (although I dont think he plays left wing) I would not be upset by that move. Replaces some offense, provides some grit, and saves some money for the upgrade sniper player we need!

Book it!

Old
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
As a replacement for Frolov, (although I dont think he plays left wing) I would not be upset by that move. Replaces some offense, provides some grit, and saves some money for the upgrade sniper player we need!

Book it!
Whitney does play LW, but he's been used in every forward position since entering the NHL. He was originally listed as a C but he hasn't played center in a while. He can also play RW, but since he was with Florida, he's been primarily been used as a LW.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Johnny Utah

Whitney would use be a temporary piece though...would Lombardi pass up a Kovy, Marleau for a short term solultion?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Whitney would use be a temporary piece though...would Lombardi pass up a Kovy, Marleau for a short term solultion?
I'm suggesting a Whitney signing in addition to landing a Kovalchuk or Marleau. Prior to Frolov's departure, the Kings were still in need of a sniper to play alongside Kopitar. In addition to that need, the Kings now must fill Frolov's vacancy, which is where Ray Whitney would fit in and address another need for balanced scoring by adding more talent to the 2nd line.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
johnjm22

I can only see DL going after a guy like Whitney if he's given up on Williams. If JW can stay healthy, I see no need for another supplemental forward like Whitney, would rather spend that money on a defenseman.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Parse

That's a big if though...

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
I'm suggesting a Whitney signing in addition to landing a Kovalchuk or Marleau. Prior to Frolov's departure, the Kings were still in need of a sniper to play alongside Kopitar. In addition to that need, the Kings now must fill Frolov's vacancy, which is where Ray Whitney would fit in and address another need for balanced scoring by adding more talent to the 2nd line.
I don't know Ziggy, I think after a big free agent forward and a top 4 D-man, Lombardi will let young guys battle it out for the other forward spots.

When Frolov leaves, that will be the hole in the top 6, and when Modin leaves that is a hole on the 3rd line, but that could be Richardson or a younger player.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I like Whitney but I thought he wanted to stay closer to home. If we can land Whitney, I think that will be a great signing but something tells me, he'll sign for less elsewhere.

But, I'm always hopeful!!!

Old
06-07-2010, 03:55 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Splitting up those three guys opened the ice up so much for each one of them, and you could see how each one could, in their own manner, dominate when Pronger wasnt around. .
Looked like Chi dominated Pronger when he was on the ice last night as evidenced by his -5...

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Since Frolov wasn't a top 6 player on Murray's Kings, he can be replaced by Parse, Clifford or Richardson (decided in camp). Kovalchuk will replace Smyth on the first line and Smyth will stay in the top 6. Williams would be very effective on the top line with Kovalchuk and Kopitar. The Kings could always call up Loktionov to fill in when Williams is hurt. The RW on the top line will not get a lot of pressure from the defense, they will be watching Kopitar and Kovalchuk, and the defense will get a lot of practice retrieving the puck from the back of the net.

It's going to be very crazy on these boards when Kovalchuk signs somewhere else.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It's going to be very crazy on these boards when Kovalchuk signs somewhere else.
It would most likely be similar to how distraught we were after news surfaced that the Kings were on the verge of signing Zdeno Chara on July 1, 2006. Hours later, we find out that he signed with the Boston Bruins. So the Kings then went with Plan B. Rob Blake, who upon his return played like he didn't give a crap.

Old
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
It would most likely be similar to how distraught we were after news surfaced that the Kings were on the verge of signing Zdeno Chara on July 1, 2006. Hours later, we find out that he signed with the Boston Bruins. So the Kings then went with Plan B. Rob Blake, who upon his return played like he didn't give a crap.
That still pisses me off to this day.

TSN went from KING CHARA!!! to Chara signs in Beantown in like 15 seconds.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
lol.

I'll admit, the guy DOES look like a ****** bag.
If I'm not mistaken, Ribeiro was one of the few that got along with Avery in Dallas as well. That should tell you a little more. Aside from his antics, he just isn't a DL type of player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

I remember that clear as day. My friend who likes to send out fake UFA signings on July 1st via text sent us a text that day about Blake signing as a bunch of us were on our way to a concert (the CHara thing happened right away in the morning). We all thought he was joking but somebody confirmed it. Needless to say we were all pissed!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

It was like a punch to the gut. A bunch of us were excited that the Kings finally landed the most highly sought after free agent on the market and were about to turn the corner. It is probably a good thing they didn't sign Chara. We might not be seeing Drew Doughty in a Kings uniform today. Imagine that?!

Old
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I still thank Willsie, Ersberg, and Ivanans to this day for getting hot the last 3 games and making sure we picked 2nd.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
It was like a punch to the gut. A bunch of us were excited that the Kings finally landed the most highly sought after free agent on the market and were about to turn the corner. It is probably a good thing they didn't sign Chara. We might not be seeing Drew Doughty in a Kings uniform today. Imagine that?!
True

That day me and 2 of my friends were putting a put new screendoor and I ran in for a free agent update.

Imagine how pissed my friends where when I refreshed the page.
It's a miracle my screendoor opens and closes

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Chara had connections in Boston and he said they heavily pursued him, met with him in person, he said all he got was a phone call from our team. I think he was considering it because of his Olympic partner Visnovsky too.

Old
06-07-2010, 05:25 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I still thank Willsie, Ersberg, and Ivanans to this day for getting hot the last 3 games and making sure we picked 2nd.
I'd bet my middle testicle that had we have ended up with the #1 pick Dean would have drafted Doughty anyway or traded down to #2.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote