HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Chara had connections in Boston and he said they heavily pursued him, met with him in person, he said all he got was a phone call from our team. I think he was considering it because of his Olympic partner Visnovsky too.
Lombardi discussed this in further detail. From what I recall, Chara did receive phone calls from the likes of Ray Bourque and Cam Neely, selling him to the idea of playing for the Bruins. Couple that with the fact that he wanted to remain in the East and raising a family, Boston was a natural fit for Chara.

I believe the Kings' offer to Chara was similar to what he got in Boston.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I'd bet my middle testicle that had we have ended up with the #1 pick Dean would have drafted Doughty anyway or traded down to #2.
That's always been a heavily debated topic with DL saying Doughty was his guy.

Lucky for him he didn't have to make that decision. Stamkos was the consensus #1...it would have been a huge job risk to pass on Stamkos at that point.

Nobody will ever know what he would have done. Personally, I think he picks Stamkos no doubt about it. It is what every other GM would have done too.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The Kings would be set down the middle with Kopitar and Stamkos. The Kings would just have a hole at the #1 D position and we would all be hoping that Johnson could be that #1.

It is starting to look like NJ is going to re-sign Kovalchuk. I just can't see Lou letting him walk for nothing after giving up the assets to get him. They will move some people for some help on defense.

I hate waiting for July 1st...

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings would be set down the middle with Kopitar and Stamkos. The Kings would just have a hole at the #1 D position and we would all be hoping that Johnson could be that #1.

It is starting to look like NJ is going to re-sign Kovalchuk. I just can't see Lou letting him walk for nothing after giving up the assets to get him. They will move some people for some help on defense.

I hate waiting for July 1st...
link.......?? dont they still need to resign Parise, Martin and other players??

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
I have a google alert setup for Ilya Kovalchuk and almost every story talks about how Lou wants to keep Ilya. Didn't everyone say that the Rangers couldn't sign any free agents last year and then signed Gaborik? Teams find ways to get the players that they want.

New Jersey's cap isn't that bad, no one over $6 million and no one signed past 2013. They could easily build around Parise and Kovalchuk. It's just not how most teams are built.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...y_cap_thou=800

Quote:
The New Jersey Devils are the only team with the ability to sign Ilya Kovalchuk before he hits the open market on July 1, as they still own his rights. They also have the ability to trade his rights to another team to give them the exclusive window of negotiation up until July 1, but I don't foresee that taking place.

There is little doubt to me that GM Lou Lamoriello wants to bring back Kovalchuk, but the question is, "What price would he be willing to pay, not only in terms of salary, but length of contract?"

Generally, only Lamoriello knows this answer.
http://*******************/articles/...ilya-kovalchuk

Quote:
He’s been linked to the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers while Devils management has also expressed a desire to re-sign him.

It’s understandable why the Devils would like to keep Kovalchuk. He brought offensive star power to a team that has traditionally lacked a scoring superstar. Given their need to bolster attendance in their new arena, having Kovalchuk in the lineup could boost ticket sales.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/t...valchuk-060710
Quote:
Before he was traded to the Devils, rumors were rampant that the Los Angeles Kings were seriously interested in acquiring Kovy. With the Kings dynamic, successful young core, and money to spend (plus Alexander Frolov’s contract expiring), they seem to be the primary suitor for the sniper. Aside from them and the Devils, no team has been linked with interest to Kovalchuk to this point, and but he is likely to get around $8 million a season - $2 million a year less than what he turned down from Atlanta.
http://www.realgmhockey.com/src_shif...gency_edition/

Old
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This is all akin to the Hossa fiasco of last summer two summers. Prior to bolting for Detroit, it was suggested that Hossa would remain with Pittsburgh. Last summer, nobody knew exactly where Hossa was headed. Seems very similar to what may happen with Kovalchuk. Although from all indications, it seems as though Kovalchuk will reach a decision soon after the clock strikes midnight on July 1st.

Old
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This is all akin to the Hossa fiasco of last summer two summers. Prior to bolting for Detroit, it was suggested that Hossa would remain with Pittsburgh. Last summer, nobody knew exactly where Hossa was headed. Seems very similar to what may happen with Kovalchuk. Although from all indications, it seems as though Kovalchuk will reach a decision soon after the clock strikes midnight on July 1st.
True, only Kovalchuk (maybe his agent) knows what he's going to do, but Lou is known to be a good negotiator and could persuade Kovalchuk to stay. Especially if Lou hires a more offensive-minded coach.

Old
06-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
True, only Kovalchuk (maybe his agent) knows what he's going to do, but Lou is known to be a good negotiator and could persuade Kovalchuk to stay. Especially if Lou hires a more offensive-minded coach.
Rumor is that Michel Therrien is being tabbed as the next Devils' coach.

Old
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Toronto radio is saying that if Therrien is named head coach, Kovy won't want to play for him because he is known as a hard ass.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Toronto radio is saying that if Therrien is named head coach, Kovy won't want to play for him because he is known as a hard ass.
I can see why most players wouldn't be happy to play for him...

Old
06-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Then let's hope that Lou hires him.

Is Terry Murray viewed as a players coach?

Old
06-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Then let's hope that Lou hires him.

Is Terry Murray viewed as a players coach?
From what I've read and heard, yes he is. The story about his meeting with Brad Richardson during the off-season gives you an idea that he listens to his players. Brad Richardson voiced his displeasure in how he was misused by Murray in 2008-09. Murray listened, and look how much of a different player Richardson was this past season. He's the type of coach who will put players in a position they are comfortable in and in a position to succeed. You aren't going to see a square peg trying to be fitted into a round hole with Terry Murray behind the bench.

Old
06-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Johnny Utah

Peter Zezel, before he passed away, on TSN's Off the Record said TM was the easiest coach to play under.

Old
06-07-2010, 07:13 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
From what I've read and heard, yes he is. The story about his meeting with Brad Richardson during the off-season gives you an idea that he listens to his players. Brad Richardson voiced his displeasure in how he was misused by Murray in 2008-09. Murray listened, and look how much of a different player Richardson was this past season. He's the type of coach who will put players in a position they are comfortable in and in a position to succeed. You aren't going to see a square peg trying to be fitted into a round hole with Terry Murray behind the bench.
Patrick O'Sullivan and Alexander Frolov say "Hi!"

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
Parise has one more year on his contract and then he's still RFA (but one year away potentially from UFA). David Clarkson will probably be looking to at least double his salary.

I'll be curious as to how they approach Paul Martin. He just turned 29 and he's good but certainly not elite. The Devils were already paying him 4.5 million last year (3.833 cap hit). Is he the type of guy you're offering 25 mil over 5 years for?

Jay Pandolfo has one year left at 2.5 million. Lamoriello has shown in the past that's he's willing to send those salaries to the minors (Mogilny, McGillis, Matvichuk, Marshall) to open up cap space. Albeit none of those guys had the tenure that Pandolfo has.

The player formerly known as Brian Rolston has two more years left. Patrik Elias is still effective (when not forced to play out of position) but is also 34. So there's some motivation to keep Kovalchuk since Rolston/Elias aren't guys you're looking to be core guys in a couple years.

They could go up to about 9 million for Kovalchuk and 5 million for Martin and stay under the cap if they demote Pandolfo. But then the team would be a carbon copy of the team that got unceremoniously bumped in the first round this year.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan and Alexander Frolov say "Hi!"
Seeing as several coaches have had trouble with them, maybe it is the players fault?

Old
06-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Seeing as several coaches have had trouble with them, maybe it is the players fault?
I would they the several our coaches are morons .........
how many cup rings doesn these idiots have ???

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Johnny Utah

Frolov had one weeks worse of issue with Terry Murray...and then it was over.

I think O'Sullivan had a worse issue with Quinn this year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...cipe_two_pats/

I don't always agree with Murray but...

Old
06-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
I would they the several our coaches are morons .........
how many cup rings doesn these idiots have ???
Well, Crawford has one. Andy Murray never got to coach O'Sullivan but I can imagine he'd have had problems with him, AND Terry Murray has made it to the Cup finals once.

Why is it always the coaches with you, why are the players never accountable?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Reaper45

There's a guy on the Sens board who seems to have credibility in regards to breaking deals before they've happened before. He just said Spezza is a goner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
He is gone by the end of the week, down to two teams and just trying to get a second into the deal

Old
06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
There's a guy on the Sens board who seems to have credibility in regards to breaking deals before they've happened before. He just said Spezza is a goner...
Spezza for Schenn, JW/Stoll, Voynov/Hickey and 1st. Trade for Spezza should entice Kovy to sign with us even more I would think.

As much as I want Schenn to be a king, the timing just isn't right. Schenn won't be in his prime for another several years and it's my impression that we're trying to win the cup now!!!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Spezza for Schenn, JW/Stoll, Voynov/Hickey and 1st. Trade for Spezza should entice Kovy to sign with us even more I would think.

As much as I want Schenn to be a king, the timing just isn't right. Schenn won't be in his prime for another several years and it's my impression that we're trying to win the cup now!!!
That's a massive overpayment imo.

Massive. But that's just me.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

May you never manage the Kings.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
That's a massive overpayment imo.

Massive. But that's just me.
You think so? Just few days ago, I suggested Spezza for Schenn, Voynov and JW which I thought might get the deal done but I also thought that I could add more. So, today, I just added a first round pick.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
May you never manage the Kings.
So, you wouldn't do that deal? Which would you add/subtract for Spezza?