HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Brendan Ranford

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
  #1
westisbest*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Brendan Ranford

Amazing how overlooked this kid is. Everyone talks about Jordan Weal, but Ranford put up 30 goals and 70 points as a 17 year old in the WHL and is the same size as Weal. Only difference is, Ranford didn't get the joy or pleasures of playing with a guy like Jordan Eberle all year long. Next year Ranford barring injuries should be able to come close to 40 goals and probably 90 points. I think it's worth it for more people to start talking about him.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:54 AM
  #2
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,692
vCash: 4250
Never even heard of him!

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:56 AM
  #3
westisbest*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Never even heard of him!
That's a shame, like I said didn't have the luxury playing with Jordan Eberle his entire career. And is also a gritty kid who mucks it up in the corners.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:59 AM
  #4
Smarty
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westisbest View Post
That's a shame, like I said didn't have the luxury playing with Jordan Eberle his entire career. And is also a gritty kid who mucks it up in the corners.
I guess he should go first overall, because Hall has been surrounded be good players his whole career. I am a fan of the WHL, and Ranford is not in the same league as Weal defensively, offensively, skating or playmaking. I will give you that he is a good goal scorer. Ranford played in a much weaker conference. From what I have read Weal played one third of his games this year against teams that were at one time ranked in the top ten in the country. Weal also had the responsibility of playing center ice against every teams best.

Sorry, but the Eberle factor only proves he can play with kids at the highest level. Weal earned enough respect from his coaches to get the opportunity to play first line center with Eberle as a 16 and 17 year old.

Anyways, Ranford will be drafted and he is a good player. He will have to prove how good he is after the draft.

Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:57 PM
  #5
westisbest*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
I guess he should go first overall, because Hall has been surrounded be good players his whole career. I am a fan of the WHL, and Ranford is not in the same league as Weal defensively, offensively, skating or playmaking. I will give you that he is a good goal scorer. Ranford played in a much weaker conference. From what I have read Weal played one third of his games this year against teams that were at one time ranked in the top ten in the country. Weal also had the responsibility of playing center ice against every teams best.

Sorry, but the Eberle factor only proves he can play with kids at the highest level. Weal earned enough respect from his coaches to get the opportunity to play first line center with Eberle as a 16 and 17 year old.

Anyways, Ranford will be drafted and he is a good player. He will have to prove how good he is after the draft.

I like your post, I agree with alot of parts. Obviously you still have to be a very talented player. But look at the stats when Eberle wasn't in the lineup, Weal only had 9 points in 13 games without him. Not very impressive.

Looking at Ranford, after all the big guns in Kamloops were traded he scored 29 points in 28 games. Ranford finished with a +2 rating while Weal finished with a +3. Use all the excuses all you want about the East being tougher, the fact is on an individual level Weal tailed off when the load was on his shoulders while Ranford stepped up and took the load on his shoulders.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:11 PM
  #6
DoctorDoak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westisbest View Post
I like your post, I agree with alot of parts. Obviously you still have to be a very talented player. But look at the stats when Eberle wasn't in the lineup, Weal only had 9 points in 13 games without him. Not very impressive.

Looking at Ranford, after all the big guns in Kamloops were traded he scored 29 points in 28 games. Ranford finished with a +2 rating while Weal finished with a +3. Use all the excuses all you want about the East being tougher, the fact is on an individual level Weal tailed off when the load was on his shoulders while Ranford stepped up and took the load on his shoulders.
Leaving stats out of the argument for a moment, are you convinced Ranford plays well enough in traffic and has the speed to translate his game to the pro level? I haven't seen him much, but I didn't come away very impressed with his ability to influence a game when I did see him.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
  #7
westisbest*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDoak View Post
Leaving stats out of the argument for a moment, are you convinced Ranford plays well enough in traffic and has the speed to translate his game to the pro level? I haven't seen him much, but I didn't come away very impressed with his ability to influence a game when I did see him.

Well, Ranford is a smallish guy (5"10) but he goes in the corners and all the dirty areas. He doesn't have blinding speed, he has deceptive speed but definetly it something he has to work on alot. I guess I can see what your point is, scouts are looking at what players could possibly turn into as they get older and more mature as opposed to how they're playing right now.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:00 PM
  #8
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
He is Bill Randfords nefew

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
  #9
Smarty
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westisbest View Post
I like your post, I agree with alot of parts. Obviously you still have to be a very talented player. But look at the stats when Eberle wasn't in the lineup, Weal only had 9 points in 13 games without him. Not very impressive.

Looking at Ranford, after all the big guns in Kamloops were traded he scored 29 points in 28 games. Ranford finished with a +2 rating while Weal finished with a +3. Use all the excuses all you want about the East being tougher, the fact is on an individual level Weal tailed off when the load was on his shoulders while Ranford stepped up and took the load on his shoulders.
First of all, you need to get your facts straight, during Dec the Pats were missing their four top defensemen, both goalies, and Eberle. Eberle wouldn't have score a point a game with all those players missing and he would have been a minus. Check Weal's stats in midget before he played with Eberle. Weal won player of the week his first week in the league as a 16 year old while Eberle was at Pro camp. The fact is the East is stronger, it is not an excuse. Weal was one of only three plus players on a team with one of the worst goals against in the league.

How many U18 teams has Weal made without Eberle and without Ranford.

Sorry, Ranford is good, but you will not convince myself or any scouts that Ranford is on the same level as Weal.

I am not going to waste my time with this

Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
  #10
westisbest*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
First of all, you need to get your facts straight, during Dec the Pats were missing their four top defensemen, both goalies, and Eberle. Eberle wouldn't have score a point a game with all those players missing and he would have been a minus. Check Weal's stats in midget before he played with Eberle. Weal won player of the week his first week in the league as a 16 year old while Eberle was at Pro camp. The fact is the East is stronger, it is not an excuse. Weal was one of only three plus players on a team with one of the worst goals against in the league.

How many U18 teams has Weal made without Eberle and without Ranford.

Sorry, Ranford is good, but you will not convince myself or any scouts that Ranford is on the same level as Weal.

I am not going to waste my time with this
I believe you already did, and it's sad that Regina is ran like Porta Potty and great players like Eberle and Weal are stuck under the wings of such idiotic management.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
  #11
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westisbest View Post
Well, Ranford is a smallish guy (5"10) but he goes in the corners and all the dirty areas. He doesn't have blinding speed, he has deceptive speed but definetly it something he has to work on alot. I guess I can see what your point is, scouts are looking at what players could possibly turn into as they get older and more mature as opposed to how they're playing right now.
He's good in corners, but lacks top end speed. His speed is good but he plays a gritty game and can put the puck in the net.

That's basically the description you gave, and it sounds like an offensively capable 3rd line winger.

It's hard to see someone who is 5'10" with "deceptive" speed but not top end speed. "deceptive speed" is usually reserved for forwards over 6'0", who are faster than they look but not quite considered speedy.

If he can get his skating up to a top end level then Ranford could look at a 2nd line role, but as it stands he seems well suited as an offensively capable 3rd line winger. I have him plugged in late 2nd/early 3rd in my predictions, and will be a legitimate prospect.


Jordan Weal on the other hand has all the makings of being a top 6 forward despite his size, he'll need to add to his already small frame, but overall he has all the potential to be a secondary offensive weapon in the NHL, which is why some people have him 1st round.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.