HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Evgeny Skachkov signed to an ELC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2010, 11:32 PM
  #26
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 714
Earning a KHL paycheck now gives him more stability for his future than playing in the AHL does. I don't expect this guy to play in the AHL. At some point, the Blues will have to attract a guy with enough talent to make the jump straight across from KHL to NHL. Its a good league...its a much smaller transition than say Berglund had to make.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:35 PM
  #27
Joppy
Registered User
 
Joppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
You do know that interview is almost a year old, right?

Any possibiity he's changed his mind since then?
I posted a link to an interview in which he adamantly stated that he didn't want to play in the AHL and said "From this interview it doesn't sound like he wants to play in Peoria." Never announced that he absolutely wouldn't play in Peoria. Of course there's a possibility he changed his mind, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't post the interview.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
  #28
Sniper
It's learning...
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 586
vCash: 500
I would feel a heck of a lot better about this if he were in NA right now training and preparing for an NHL season.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:05 AM
  #29
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
I posted a link to an interview in which he adamantly stated that he didn't want to play in the AHL and said "From this interview it doesn't sound like he wants to play in Peoria." Never announced that he absolutely wouldn't play in Peoria. Of course there's a possibility he changed his mind, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't post the interview.
Did I say that you shouldn;t post the interview?

No, I didn't.

You're drawing conclusions for today from something that was said almost a year ago; I questioned if those conclusions are still valid. That's all.

For the record, I don't like the idea that the Blues keep wanting to shuffle guys off to Peoria without giving their development in European leagues any consideration whatsoever. But that's how they choose to handle player development. I'd do it a little differently, but I'm not Jarmo Kekalainen, or Kevin McDonald.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:06 AM
  #30
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I would feel a heck of a lot better about this if he were in NA right now training and preparing for an NHL season.
Do you know for sure that he isn't?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
  #31
ibleedblue8
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Earning a KHL paycheck now gives him more stability for his future than playing in the AHL does. I don't expect this guy to play in the AHL. At some point, the Blues will have to attract a guy with enough talent to make the jump straight across from KHL to NHL. Its a good league...its a much smaller transition than say Berglund had to make.
The KHL gives a young player no stability in their career as a player. Sure the money is nice now, but if the KHL fails all those players will be looking for a place to play at the same time. It will be easier to find more stability now then when all those KHL players are looking for jobs.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
  #32
Joppy
Registered User
 
Joppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
You're drawing conclusions for today from something that was said almost a year ago; I questioned if those conclusions are still valid. That's all.
I can see where you would think that, but all I was saying was that from that article it seemed like he didn't want to ever play in Peoria. I understand where you're coming from though. No biggie.

For the record, if I was Russian, 26(?) years old, and in his position I would almost definitely play in the KHL over the AHL. He probably has a family established in Russia and makes good money there. I can see where he wouldn't want to move to America to play in a lesser league away from his family.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:45 AM
  #33
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Some of us were wondering/hoping whether a player will come out of nowhere and force his way onto The Blues' roster. Maybe Skachkov is that guy. I don't wanna get my hopes up too high, but because he is now a factor let's play around a little bit.

Just for ****'s sake, let's pretend that Skachkov kicks ass in camp and
makes the team.

Where does he fit?

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:49 AM
  #34
Joppy
Registered User
 
Joppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Just for ****'s sake, let's pretend that Skachkov kicks ass in camp and
makes the team.

Where does he fit?
He could take over for Winchester.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:02 AM
  #35
teddygmr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
He could take over for Winchester.
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff...hchart.cgi?StL
Typically, forecaster is just a guide; this shows Steen at LW, he didnt play LW much last season did he? I don't expect Kariya back.

ya, Skatchkov could play 3rd line.....competing for some 2nd line time as he adjusts and/or when the inevitable injuries occur.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:46 AM
  #36
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff...hchart.cgi?StL
Typically, forecaster is just a guide; this shows Steen at LW, he didnt play LW much last season did he? I don't expect Kariya back.

ya, Skatchkov could play 3rd line.....competing for some 2nd line time as he adjusts and/or when the inevitable injuries occur.
Steen has played almost exclusively at LW since he got here.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
  #37
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Seems like a low risk signing to me. The kid comes over to camp, if he makes the team, then the Blues just got a new player. If he doesn't make the team, then he likely returns to the KHL, the Blues don't pay him and it is pretty much the same outcome as if Skachkov wasn't signed in the first place.

Perhaps he will be willing to spend some time in Peoria but my guess is he will not...and I can respect that position. The Blues will give the kid a shot in camp and see what happens. I'm sure if he doesn't make the team and returns to Russia, some fans will be all negative about the Blues not being able to develop Russians/Euros properly, shouldn't draft Russians/Euros, etc. but at least they're trying something here. The worst that can happen is he returns to Russia...which is exactly where he's been this whole time and exactly where he would've been if the Blues never signed him. It's pretty much a no risk deal here for the Blues.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
  #38
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 500
I'd say he's got about as good a chance of making this squad as he ever will...The likelihood of more than 1 veteran free agent being signed isn't real good, and you've got at least 3 spots available...maybe more depending on trades. With Tkachuk, Kariya & Winchester out, Eller, Skachkov and someone else have a shot of making the roster this year. Granted free agency hasn't even begun...but it seems like these kids will be given every opportunity to allow this club to not go out and sign a mediocre veteran forward.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
  #39
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
He could take over for Winchester.
If he comes out swinging and makes the team, then I was thinking that Skachkov would replace Kariya and move between the 3rd and 2nd lines. I think his overall offensive skill set would be wasted on the 4th line. I am assuming, of course, that Kariya moves on.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:51 PM
  #40
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Seems like a low risk signing to me. The kid comes over to camp, if he makes the team, then the Blues just got a new player. If he doesn't make the team, then he likely returns to the KHL, the Blues don't pay him and it is pretty much the same outcome as if Skachkov wasn't signed in the first place.

Perhaps he will be willing to spend some time in Peoria but my guess is he will not...and I can respect that position. The Blues will give the kid a shot in camp and see what happens. I'm sure if he doesn't make the team and returns to Russia, some fans will be all negative about the Blues not being able to develop Russians/Euros properly, shouldn't draft Russians/Euros, etc. but at least they're trying something here. The worst that can happen is he returns to Russia...which is exactly where he's been this whole time and exactly where he would've been if the Blues never signed him. It's pretty much a no risk deal here for the Blues.
Except that The Blues have signed him for 3 more years and own his rights for 3 more years.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
  #41
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Except that The Blues have signed him for 3 more years and own his rights for 3 more years.
So? If he returns to Russia, whether it be with or without the Blues blessing, the Blues won't have to pay him either his AHL or NHL salary.

If he makes the team, he plays for the Blues and makes his NHL salary. If he doesn't and for some reason accepts an assignment to Peoria, he makes his AHL salary. If he returns to Russia, the Blues pay him nothing and he gets paid by whichever KHL team he signs with. It's really very little risk on the Blues' part.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
  #42
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
So? If he returns to Russia, whether it be with or without the Blues blessing, the Blues won't have to pay him either his AHL or NHL salary.

If he makes the team, he plays for the Blues and makes his NHL salary. If he doesn't and for some reason accepts an assignment to Peoria, he makes his AHL salary. If he returns to Russia, the Blues pay him nothing and he gets paid by whichever KHL team he signs with. It's really very little risk on the Blues' part.
I guess my point was missed. What I mean is that there's a big difference now. If he goes back to Russia it's not the same as if Skachkov wasn't signed. The Blues would not be obligated. I understand that. My other point is a very positive thing in that The Blues retain his rights for 3 years. That's a great thing! If not next season, then perhaps the following. Either way The Blues has leverage and so does Skachkov with this great opportunity to bid Russia farewell.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
  #43
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I guess my point was missed. What I mean is that there's a big difference now. If he goes back to Russia it's not the same as if Skachkov wasn't signed. The Blues would not be obligated. I understand that. My other point is a very positive thing in that The Blues retain his rights for 3 years. That's a great thing! If not next season, then perhaps the following. Either way The Blues has leverage and so does Skachkov with this great opportunity to bid Russia farewell.
I see what you're saying now.

The only potential negative in this I see is in the event Skachkov ends up returning to Russia, some fans will complain about the Blues "failing" yet again on another Russian...while of course they never would've batted an eye or thought a thing if Skachkov hadn't been signed in the first place as I'm sure most had forgotten about the Blues 2003 7th rd pick until a few days ago.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
  #44
teddygmr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
this is on eliteprospects today:
http://translate.google.se/translate...e=windows-1251

so what's up....has he signed a provisional contract in KHL in case he fails to make the Blues?
Will he show up for the Blues training camp?

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
  #45
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.
 
Mr Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
this is on eliteprospects today:
http://translate.google.se/translate...e=windows-1251

so what's up....has he signed a provisional contract in KHL in case he fails to make the Blues?
Will he show up for the Blues training camp?
No way he plays in the AHL. He either makes the Blues roster and gets a shot and becoming a legit NHLer or he goes back home and makes bank. The AHL is a waste of his time and he won't get paid very well, especially to what he'll make in the KHL.

So this makes plenty of sense, hopefully he didn't just screw us though.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.