HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Boucher offered Columbus head coach position; UPDATE: He declined to coach Tampa

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Not my last leg, and I was right about almost everything. You are forgetting everything that I said and base it on some foggy conclusions of what i said.

- I said Boucher would have to get permission and can't receive contract offers without the Habs approval. I was right.

- I said Boucher himself said that it would be a big mistake to not gain the experience needed before making the big jump. I was right.

- I said Boucher had already chosen his NHL team when he signed last year, as he had received offers from many NHL teams. I was right.

That doesn't sound like standing on one last leg.

I said "do you really think they would let him do that".

The thing is, you forget that THEY CAN block him. I also said later on that the Habs have always been an organization with respect for its employees and would talk to him first, hence, giving him the chance to see what's out there, but knowing full well that he wouldn't leave. The Habs have a gem in their hands. I'll repeat what I said "do you really think they would let him go?" They did what they had to to keep him, and it probably wasn't hard to convince him, if convincing needed to be done.
I hope you're right. Boucher is a different breed compared to other coaches in hockey. He's not as dumb or desperate for one (kidding, sort of). I like Perry Pearn, he's a good duo with Martin, but I could see Boucher being the assistant, he's flexible enough in personality to make it worth. That's on top of his technical and interpersonal skills. I'm curious to see what's going to happen. I just don't want to see him with the Bruins. I'd actually accept that he leave for the Leafs, just please not Boston.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Someone on Habfans.com heard him talk about it on AM640. There's a story on Twitter about Pearn possibly heading to the Oil Kings too.
whats up with our coaching staff getting poached?

And i guess if Pearn is ok being an AHL coach, Muller would be too? Would like to see him with the dogs.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Rather than trusting the man's own words ever since he's been signed as a Habs..... Everything that is happening fits with what he said. But yeah, oh yeah, big sigh of relief... not.
Dude, the man was offered a NHL head coaching job at the age of 38, which is no doubt a huge raise and absolutely a huge promotion. Why would it be surprising that he'd consider it? Heck, I think everyone expected him to take it. Now there's speculation he might have the TB job lined up instead.

The Habs dodged a bullet. It may be because Boucher decided he needs more seasoning, but the Habs dodged a bullet nonetheless.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
If it's true that he declined I'm waiting for Ozy to come here and gloat in 3...2...1..

Maybe he thought he wasn't ready for NHL coaching job or the situation wasn't right for him with the CBJ's.... Perhaps he just really wanted to stay in the Habs organization but I'm a little surprised he declined the CBJ offer..
Dude, the thing is, and rare are those who see this about me, is that I don't give a flying phoque if I'm right or not. If I'm right, this means my thought process and deduction was on the right track, if I'm wrong, I analyse why and look at what I should've perceived differently. Being wrong is normal and part of the process of learning to be right more often, so in this sense, there is no wrong about being wrong, unless you don't learn from it. And that's the big difference between me and a lot of people here.

I would rather be wrong, and have people understand the thought process, to take the time to analyze the situation for what it was (which really wasn't the case with GB, as almost everyone dismissed the obvious mindset of Boucher that I was bringing forward), than being right and people not learning from their mistakes.

But that's how it goes here on HF. Egos rule instead of rationality. Just look at Vlad for an example of this.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Dude, the man was offered a NHL head coaching job at the age of 38, which is no doubt a huge raise and absolutely a huge promotion. Why would it be surprising that he'd consider it? Heck, I think everyone expected him to take it. Now there's speculation he might have the TB job lined up instead.

The Habs dodged a bullet. It may be because Boucher decided he needs more seasoning, but the Habs dodged a bullet nonetheless.
Read the post I just wrote to Sheed. You are doing precisely what I said most people do here. It's even more funny as you offer an argument that should make you understand why Boucher refused the offer. He's only 38. As a pro coach, he has A LOT of time on his hands, as coaching careers in the NHL are usually between the ages of 40 to 60 years old.

Boucher won't take the job in TB, I really doubt it. And the Habs didn't dodge a bullet, you're just being your usually alarmist self (ever since last summer where you tatally changed and blew a gasket), the Habs did what they had to do. Boucher already chose his team, he's said so himself. Jeeze what more do you need.

But yeah, like everyone else here, you'll get your panties in a bunch every friggin time Boucher will get an offer until he becomes the Habs head coach.

i'm curious, did you start stockpilling foodstuff and supplies for December 21st 2012?

Old
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
HCH

Quote:
Dreger is apparently reporting that Perry Pearn is on his way to the Oilers? This means chances are that Boucher will stick around with Muller and Martin.

EDIT: Sorry, not the Oilers but to Edmonton. The Oil Kings I think.
Pearn anywhere but on our coaching staff would be great... wasn't he in charge of our defense this year, the defense that looked lost in its own end and could never clear the puck

Old
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
whats up with our coaching staff getting poached?

And i guess if Pearn is ok being an AHL coach, Muller would be too? Would like to see him with the dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Pearn anywhere but on our coaching staff would be great... wasn't he in charge of our defense this year, the defense that looked lost in its own end and could never clear the puck
I remember when Martin and Pearn were in Ottawa, Pearn was hated on a lot. Even when we grabbed Martin I remember hearing, "oh you got Pearn too didn't you... good luck". I guess his defensive record precedes him. I wonder how Boucher's system differs. Anybody got any insight? I really wouldn't mind seeing Pearn go.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

I don't think this leaves any doubt that Boucher has been unofficially promised the Habs job after Martin.

Quite frankly, I'm glad he didn't leave.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Read the post I just wrote to Sheed. You are doing precisely what I said most people do here. It's even more funny as you offer an argument that should make you understand why Boucher refused the offer. He's only 38. As a pro coach, he has A LOT of time on his hands, as coaching careers in the NHL are usually between the ages of 40 to 60 years old.
If you think Boucher didn't seriously consider the offer, you're crazy. If he was going to say no no matter what, he wouldn't have asked to think on it on the weekend.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
I remember when Martin and Pearn were in Ottawa, Pearn was hated on a lot. Even when we grabbed Martin I remember hearing, "oh you got Pearn too didn't you... good luck". I guess his defensive record precedes him. I wonder how Boucher's system differs. Anybody got any insight? I really wouldn't mind seeing Pearn go.
You're wrong there.,most fans were disppointed that Murray didnt keep Pearn.
Our powerplay has never been the same since he left. He's a great coach.

Old
06-07-2010, 10:00 PM
onice

Quote:
Dude, the thing is, and rare are those who see this about me, is that I don't give a flying phoque if I'm right or not. If I'm right, this means my thought process and deduction was on the right track, if I'm wrong, I analyse why and look at what I should've perceived differently. Being wrong is normal and part of the process of learning to be right more often, so in this sense, there is no wrong about being wrong, unless you don't learn from it. And that's the big difference between me and a lot of people here.

I would rather be wrong, and have people understand the thought process, to take the time to analyze the situation for what it was (which really wasn't the case with GB, as almost everyone dismissed the obvious mindset of Boucher that I was bringing forward), than being right and people not learning from their mistakes.

But that's how it goes here on HF. Egos rule instead of rationality. Just look at Vlad for an example of this.
Ozy, you talk a big game but there's one huge flaw in your supposed logic. If Boucher's mindset was that he had chosen Montreal as the place he wanted to coach, why would he entertain any offers?

If you are truly correct that Boucher is a man of his word and really meant it when he said he needed a few years than why talk to the Blue Jackets. If he spoke to them knowing full well he wouldn't leave the Habs, then he's not as much a man of his word as you make him out to be.

Now my guess, a guess like yours, is that he didn't get what he asked for. That's why he didn't go. Nothing about feeling unprepared for the NHL or any strong attachments to the Habs.

I hope I'm wrong but he could still leave - there's Tampa Bay, New Jersey & apparently Boston looking.

Old
06-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Clumsyhab

According to "La Zone", Boucher is heading to Tampa Bay.

Old
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
For those of us outside Quebec, what is "La Zone?"

Old
06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Bloumeister
Gros chef bandit

Quote:
Martin Leclerc from Rue Frontenac has the 'scoop'. Apparently, this will be announced during a press conference on Wednesday.

Old
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
For those outside of Quebec "La Zone" is "The Zone".

Sorry couldn't resist

Old
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
According to Martin Leclerc*

and it seems like his assistants in Hamilton are going with him to Tampa.

Old
06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Bloumeister
Gros chef bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Late-night sports talk TV show on Radio-Canada.

Old
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
You're wrong there.,most fans were disppointed that Murray didnt keep Pearn.
Our powerplay has never been the same since he left. He's a great coach.
Really? I heard the complete opposite from numerous fans.

Old
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
For those outside of Quebec "La Zone" is "The Zone".

Sorry couldn't resist
Well I got that much.

Old
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
good for him.

Old
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Yep

Tampa bay

Old
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
Quote:
La deuxième offre était la bonne. Après avoir décliné la proposition d'emploi des Blue Jackets de Columbus, Guy Boucher a accepté de devenir entraîneur en chef du Lightning de Tampa Bay.
http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/h...ning-tampa-bay

Basically it says that Boucher signed with Tampa, will be confirmed Wednesday

Old
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Hugo Sham

fantastic. boucher takes his entire staff to a playoff rival with a core francophone group

Old
06-07-2010, 10:07 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
According to Martin Leclerc*

and it seems like his assistants in Hamilton are going with him to Tampa.
Man, i starting to dislike Stevie Y.

Old
06-07-2010, 10:14 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Man, i starting to dislike Stevie Y.
For being a smart GM?

He learned from the master: Holland.

Closed Thread