HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Rutherford: Whitney unlikely to sign with Canes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2010, 04:39 PM
  #51
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Forget the dekes, because once in a while a fourth liner can try some Midget AAA move that works for whatever reason...

Guerin can't move like that through the neutral zone with that speed.
I remember watching that play at a sports bar one Sunday afternoon. I believe my Jets were playing the Colts in the AFC title game that day...so close, so close...but I digress.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:41 PM
  #52
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
I wouldn't give him a NMC or NTC unless his cap-hit was Pen-tastic. IOW, if his legs go south in two years I don't want a guy who is a liability on both the ice and the balance sheet. Either way, it's a lot easier to make a "Whitney at ~$3M" decision than a "Superstar at $8 or $9M" decision.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
  #53
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Is it Zip? Is it easier...


"Shero: Can I speak to Kovy, please?
Kovalchuk: Is Kovy.

Shero: Ray Shero, Pittsburgh Penguins here.
Kovalchuk: I know.

Shero: Kovy, we wanna be in the Ilya Kovalchuk business.
Kovalchuk: I know.

Shero: We believe we have everything you need, right here. We have the ideal center for you. We have a captain to take the heat off you, and we have Stanley Cup pedigree for you. We also have a brand new arena. We would love to inaugurate it with a brand new superstar. What do you say.

Kovalchuk: How much?
Shero: We can probably go as high as $7 million annually, if you take a long-term deal.

Kovalchuk: Does Sidney hate Kovy?
Shero: Sid? No, not at all. Sid's ultra-competitive though so sometimes people may get the wrong idea.

Kovalchuk: Zhenya is happy?
Shero: When I told Geno we were going to make you a serious offer, he hung up the phone after a loud screaming noise. Is that a good thing?
Kovalchuk: Da.

Shero: So what do you say, Kovy?
Kovalchuk: Can I wear No. 17?
Shero: You would have to work that out with Michael Rupp.

Kovalchuk: Rupp...Rupp...is big dude no?
Shero: Yeah, he's a big guy but he is a great guy. He'd listen to you. So, do we have a deal, Kovy?

Kovalchuk: You want destroy Devils?
Shero: How did you guess? We're also talking to Paul Martin.
Kovalchuk: Martin. Good player. Not good Prime Minister of Canada."


See Zip, it wouldn't be that hard.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
  #54
Hottubber
Registered User
 
Hottubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
Just think if the Pens signed Whitney (2.75-3M) and traded the 1st to the Hawks for Versteeg (3.1M) to have the top 6 looking like this:

Whitney Crosby Dupuis
Kunitz Malkin Versteeg

And there would still be room to sign a couple decent d-men

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
  #55
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Is it Zip? Is it easier...


"Shero: Can I speak to Kovy, please?
Kovalchuk: Is Kovy.

Shero: Ray Shero, Pittsburgh Penguins here.
Kovalchuk: I know.

Shero: Kovy, we wanna be in the Ilya Kovalchuk business.
Kovalchuk: I know.

Shero: We believe we have everything you need, right here. We have the ideal center for you. We have a captain to take the heat off you, and we have Stanley Cup pedigree for you. We also have a brand new arena. We would love to inaugurate it with a brand new superstar. What do you say.

Kovalchuk: How much?
Shero: We can probably go as high as $7 million annually, if you take a long-term deal.

Kovalchuk: Does Sidney hate Kovy?
Shero: Sid? No, not at all. Sid's ultra-competitive though so sometimes people may get the wrong idea.

Kovalchuk: Zhenya is happy?
Shero: When I told Geno we were going to make you a serious offer, he hung up the phone after a loud screaming noise. Is that a good thing?
Kovalchuk: Da.

Shero: So what do you say, Kovy?
Kovalchuk: Can I wear No. 17?
Shero: You would have to work that out with Michael Rupp.

Kovalchuk: Rupp...Rupp...is big dude no?
Shero: Yeah, he's a big guy but he is a great guy. He'd listen to you. So, do we have a deal, Kovy?

Kovalchuk: You want destroy Devils?
Shero: How did you guess? We're also talking to Paul Martin.
Kovalchuk: Martin. Good player. Not good Prime Minister of Canada."


See Zip, it wouldn't be that hard.



This whole business about complicated decisions and negotiations is clearly overblown. I am a believer. Home town discount to play with Zhenya and Sid who doesn't hate!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
  #56
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
You people comparing Whitney to Guerin are silly.
No kidding. They don't call Whitney "The Wizard" because he's incredibly slow, can't process the game well, and fumbles and bumbles the puck every time he's within 3 feet of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
So many or just Jags? (no offense Jags)
Seems to me there were a fair amount suggesting it, but that could've just been Jags a bunch of times.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:10 PM
  #57
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
You're right, CW. I need a vacation!

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:11 PM
  #58
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,608
vCash: 500
Goody, goody gumdrops

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
  #59
Dan Barr
Registered User
 
Dan Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,667
vCash: 500
LOL @ Jags' idea of Ray and Ilya on the phone machine.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
  #60
Konstantin Koltsov
Registered User
 
Konstantin Koltsov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Is it Zip? Is it easier...


"Shero: Can I speak to Kovy, please?
Kovalchuk: Is Kovy.

Shero: Ray Shero, Pittsburgh Penguins here.
Kovalchuk: I know.

.
.
.


See Zip, it wouldn't be that hard.
Well done Jags. Well done indeed.

Konstantin Koltsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
  #61
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Let's get down to the nitty-gritty here. If Whitney's camp wants a NTC or NMC, do you give him one? If they insist on three years, do you give in? If they want more than $3 million, how high are you willing to go?

It's easy to jot him into our lineup, but it's a lot harder to make these uber-tough decisions.

For the record, I'd go as high as 2 years, $6 million...no NTC or NMC of any kind. I guess he's older than 35 so the NMC is not a factor I guess. Still, my point stands.
I'm 100% on board with your contract offer here. You won't get any better deal in terms of talent per dollar than this to help out our desperate winger situation. I mean we're all penciling Dupuis into the top six now without a second thought! What would we have all said about that last year during the offseason?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
  #62
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,289
vCash: 500
I think this one is really difficult. There's certainly a lot of things to like about Whitney, except for the fact that he is 38 years old - with the consequences that has.
Once a forward loses a step... no less so the smallish ones... their efficiency takes a big hit, and it is quite hard to think of comparable players who just kept on trucking until they were 40, I think.

On something completely different, if Whitney is our guy on the left half-wall, where he is ace, don't we look like a team with no net presence? Because Malkin would be on the right and Crosby would be down low. There's little Sid cannot do, but an ideal guy for screening goalies on the PP, that he is not.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
  #63
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Whitney or Malkin would HAVE to play the point, imo.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
  #64
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
You're right, CW. I need a vacation!
I seriously hope you're gettin a cut for all that pimpin you're doing...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:46 PM
  #65
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
I seriously hope you're gettin a cut for all that pimpin you're doing...
Pimpin' ain't easy. But in reality, I'm pimping him to come to a team where he can't make top dollar, so I don't think his agent is too happy with me.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
  #66
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Pimpin' ain't easy. But in reality, I'm pimping him to come to a team where he can't make top dollar, so I don't think his agent is too happy with me.
That's what that backhand is for.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
  #67
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
That's what that backhand is for.


"You wanna fresh one?"

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:00 PM
  #68
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
Imagine the orgy of gibberish that would be spewed forth by Steigy in the last year of his contract, in an attempt to impressive the media executives.

"... Geno, back to Kovalchuk, he shoots... SCORRRES... holy cow Bob did you see that powerful wrist action by Ilya Kovalchuk?! Arguably the greatest shot in NHL history, Bob... wow that was something. I think I need to use the restroom and soak up some of this fluid in my shorts Bob... better than Luca Caputi!"

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
  #69
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Imagine the orgy of gibberish that would be spewed forth by Steigy in the last year of his contract, in an attempt to impressive the media executives.

"... Geno, back to Kovalchuk, he shoots... SCORRRES... holy cow Bob did you see that powerful wrist action by Ilya Kovalchuk?! Arguably the greatest shot in NHL history, Bob... wow that was something. I think I need to use the restroom and soak up some of this fluid in my shorts Bob... better than Luca Caputi!"
"Come on, Steigy. It's the water. The FIJI Water, Steigy. That's why his wrists are so powerful. The Water!"

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
  #70
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
"Come on, Steigy. It's the water. The FIJI Water, Steigy. That's why his wrists are so powerful. The Water!"
Maybe he could adapt his Gaborik comments to Kovalchuk, comparing his muscles to glistening coiled springs........

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
  #71
Syrinx
Heh...
 
Syrinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,363
vCash: 50
This is now confirmed in a real story: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/7737696/

Quote:
...Ray Whitney will go into free agency when it begins July 1st.
Not a major change but it is more definite.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
  #72
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,608
vCash: 500
Hopefully Ray is slobbering right now.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
  #73
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
I'd like to see us offer a middling prospect for his negotiating rights. Whitney - like no other reasonably-priced UFA winger - could be an answer to so many of our issues right now.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
  #74
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I'd like to see us offer a middling prospect for his negotiating rights. Whitney - like no other reasonably-priced UFA winger - could be an answer to so many of our issues right now.
Yeah, I can't see many people being willing to do that around here, but I would without question look into it. We need him that bad.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
  #75
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I'd like to see us offer a middling prospect for his negotiating rights. Whitney - like no other reasonably-priced UFA winger - could be an answer to so many of our issues right now.
I'd like to see us pick up his rights too, I'd offer the rights to Eaton & Poni or something in that regard before I give up a prospect. But if we had to I'd add someone like Wallace to the mix, I wouldn't add much more.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.