HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal to Buffalo

Old
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=782212

interesting thread on the pens board, involving or winger situation.
That thread hit the main board too -- JadedFan put it out there. Basically, they still need someone (or some two or some three ) who Sid or Geno can create with. They may not need a superstar winger, but a couple of capable offensive players would be a solid economy move to improve. There are guys out there who could help the Pens without it breaking the bank.

But if they are tight against the cap, it might mean someone has to move (not necessarily one of the Big Three pivots either).

06-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Kunitziwa
#FreeBeau

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That thread hit the main board too -- JadedFan put it out there. Basically, they still need someone (or some two or some three ) who Sid or Geno can create with. They may not need a superstar winger, but a couple of capable offensive players would be a solid economy move to improve. There are guys out there who could help the Pens without it breaking the bank.

But if they are tight against the cap, it might mean someone has to move (not necessarily one of the Big Three pivots either).
That's true, Its a shame Ponikarovsky didn't pan out this year, cause I thought he would be pretty ideal. Big body, goes to the net. Idk if he just couldn't adjust to the system or if he was misused or what. Most fans don't want him back, but I would give him another shot. There is not a lot of available guys in the market, Versteeg has been talked about a lot as well as Frolov. But I'm not sure Frolov is the answer, and I think Versteeg may require too much to acquire. If he is even available.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Westguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Keep in mind, Pitt probably doesnt want to take on salary, unless they are filling MULTIPLE holes. So Vanek for Staal doesnt make much sense.
It was less serious of a proposal then it was a jab at the rediculousness of most of the proposals that go on in these threads disregarding the other teams needs. I guess I needed one of these

We do however have plenty of cheap servicable young wingers which is Pitts main need so as far as trading partners go I think we'd be a good fit. I'd be perfectly happy trading away a number of our young wingers/defensmen and picks for Staal. Including Ennis.

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
PensFan6687

I always felt Poni was a joke. I even have evidence on a site where I posted my disappointment in the deal. I'll try and find it... dated and such. We traded our best winger in our prospect pool who could have developed into something decent for us for a guy who isn't even a top-six forward. He played top six minutes in Toronto because someone had to and they have zero depth up front. It was a quick fix. A offensive Russian that was supposed to wake up our Russian giant, only it didn't turn out that way.

We need wingers badly... if we ever want to win another Cup, something or somebody has to go. In a year I can see either one of Malkin or Staal moving on. If Malkin has a repeat performance like this past season, he could very well be that guy. His salary is just too big and his ticket price is too high for a return to not move him if he has a repeat performance.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:31 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
You keep calling him a 3rd liner, and in the loosest sense, he is the #3 center on the depth chart, but did you know that Staal had more ES ice time than any Pittsburgh winger? It's not like he was hurting for ice time. Maybe he played with the guys he did because that's who he had chemistry with? Someone on here has already mentioned how Staal flopped when flipped to winger to play in the top 6.
I don't care, Staal is still a third liner and is as you said the No. 3 centerman. He rarely gets played on the wing due to how out of place he looks, so why not go there when Crosby and Malkin center their own lines. If his ES is up there it just means they roll out the lines, but either way you look at it he's a third liner who doesn't get primary PP time.

Old
06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

I cannot respond to this without having an all-out bias, as Jordan is one of my favorite players.... however, as an admitted homer.. the OP proposal looks like we give up too much.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
I always felt Poni was a joke. I even have evidence on a site where I posted my disappointment in the deal. I'll try and find it... dated and such. We traded our best winger in our prospect pool who could have developed into something decent for us for a guy who isn't even a top-six forward. He played top six minutes in Toronto because someone had to and they have zero depth up front. It was a quick fix. A offensive Russian that was supposed to wake up our Russian giant, only it didn't turn out that way.

We need wingers badly... if we ever want to win another Cup, something or somebody has to go. In a year I can see either one of Malkin or Staal moving on. If Malkin has a repeat performance like this past season, he could very well be that guy. His salary is just too big and his ticket price is too high for a return to not move him if he has a repeat performance.
Your description of Poni sounds very much like both Dom Moore, who was playing top line minutes but wasn't when Buffalo over-paid to get him and also this year's rental flop, Raffi Torres. I feel for ya'. Sabre fans know what wasting an asset is like. Damn if it isn't frustrating....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Kunitziwa
#FreeBeau

Quote:

Caputi was out 2nd Best winger prospect. And for all we know he might never be anything more than a 3rd liner as well. Shero took a gamble on Poni and lost, but I would still give him one more shot, but only if the price is right ( under 2m which is doubtful)

Old
06-02-2010, 12:48 AM
umwoz

Haha, didn't Staal go 2nd overall. The guy has offensive talent, and is putting up good numbers playing along side gritty, checking wingers. His upside is definitely 1st line center. He showed incredible talent before being drafted.

At the very least we would get much needed center depth from him.

However the OP proposal has too many pieces.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Haha, didn't Staal go 2nd overall.
I never understood how draft position came into play 3 or 4 years after someone's been in the league.

Patrik Stefan and Alex Daigle were #1 picks.

Guys like Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc. were pick in the mid or late rounds.

Draft position does NOT have to mean anything.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:12 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
Caputi was out 2nd Best winger prospect. And for all we know he might never be anything more than a 3rd liner as well. Shero took a gamble on Poni and lost, but I would still give him one more shot, but only if the price is right ( under 2m which is doubtful)
That's all opinion based now... lets talk in a few years.

Old
06-05-2010, 09:43 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Haha, didn't Staal go 2nd overall.
Huh?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Kunitziwa
#FreeBeau

Quote:
That's all opinion based now... lets talk in a few years.
I think its widely know that at the tme he was our second best prospect for certain. You are correct about the rest being opinion.

Old
06-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I'm not ready to give up on italics just yet.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koster View Post
We all know our Top Six needs a shake up and I know we are still looking for that number one Center, with Jordan Staal stuck behind Crosby and Geno I believe Jordan Staal has the potential to be a number one Center here in Buffalo

Jordan Staal would improve BUF without a doubt, regardless of whether he's #1, #1C, #2, #3, etc.

I don't know what Pittsburgh's Price Tag is for Staal but I would imagine they are looking to add Wingers for Crosby and Geno, a Checking Line(3rd Line) Center and Defencemen that are under contract knowing they only have three Defencemen under contract

we'll come back to the underlined in a minute.

Personally, I would love Jordan Staal in a Buffalo Sabres Jersey and I am confident that Buffalo and Pittsburgh could be great realistic trading partners that could benefit both sides

At the Draft

I could see Darcy Regier flipping Ray Shero

Taking on Approx. $5.65 Million to $8.65 Million($5,650,000-$8,650,000)

Left Winger Tim Kennedy(Sal:RFA)
Right Winger Drew Stafford(Sal:1 Year/2.3 Mil)
Center Paul Gaustad(Sal:2 Year/2.5 Mil)
Defencemen Chris Butler(Sal:1 Year/0.850 Mil)/Defencemen Andrej Sekera(Sal:1 Year/1.250 Mil)
ATL 4th Round Pick 2010(98th Overall)/Rights to Defencemen Henrik Tallinder(UFA) or Defencemen Toni Lydman(UFA)
BUF 1st Round Pick 2010(23rd Overall)

For

Taking On $4.0 Million($4,000,000)

Center Jordan Staal(Sal:3 Years/4.00 Mil)
PIT 3rd Round Pick 2010(83rd Overall)

Teams Recieve

Buffalo Recieves

-Number One Center
-Another 3rd Round Pick in 2010(So it gives Buffalo now four in total) so it gives Regier an option of flipping those pick to get a late First Round Pick or an early Second Round Pick

Pittsburgh Recieves

-Two Wingers(One Left and One Right) with Top Six Potential
-A Pure Checking(Third Line) Center
-A Young Defenseman with lots of upside and has Top Four Potential(both have atleast have two years of experience)
-A Early 4th(Mid) Round Draft Pick VIA Atlanta Thrashers or rights to sign a Defencemen(Henrik Tallinder or Toni Lydman)
-A Late(Early Twenties) First Round Pick in 2010(which gives them two First Round Picks in 2010 now)

Both Sides fill their needs and voids, Regier and Shero finish business and Upgrade their respective Team's and both Buffalo Sabres and the Pittsburgh Penguins are better Team's after making the Deal

In essence, 4 Sabres and a #1 pick for 1 Penguin (I'll equate the 3rd and 4th round pick swaps). Sabres would then need to acquire 2+ d-men and acquire/promote 2 forwards.

2010-2011 Buffalo Sabres Top Six

Vanek-Staal-Ennis
Roy-Connolly-Pominville

-Move Derek Roy to Wing(Left)

2010-2011 Buffalo Sabres Bottom Six

Mancari-Hecht-Grier
Kaleta-X-Kassian

-Promote and give Mark Mancari a chance to prove he belongs with the Big Club(Mancari gives us a big body on the Checking Line,has some sandpaper to his game and provides a scoring touch as well)
-Move Hecht back to Center to replace Goose as the Checking Line Center

I'm not a fan of that.

-Sign a Fourth Line Center that has the ability and upside to play on the Checking Line(Baring Injury) so we have a replacement incase Hecht goes down maybe a Matt Cullen Type Center?
-Bring Up(Promote) Zack Kassian to the National Hockey League(NHL) to provide some Size and Grit in the Bottom Six that also can be a threat scoring with that skill he possesses on the Grind Line playing opposite of Kaleta

Thoughts on Dealing for Jordan Staal? Would Pittsburgh do this Deal(Overpayment/Underpayment)?
Coments above.

If a Staal trade did happen with BUF, I think Darcy would want to have more clarity on his Defensive depth before he made such a move. Maybe the trade happens after July 1, when more is known re: UFA movement / costs.

As a draft day, or pre-draft trade, it's too complicated / too many pieces, IMO.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
joshjull

I'll I can say about Jordan Staal coming to Buffalo is my daughters would be very excited.

He is on the wall of cuties in their bedroom next to the guys from Twilight and various other guys in boy bands I can't rememebr the names of.

I remember walking into their room one morning to get them up for school and saw Jordan Staal up on the wall. I asked why he was up there because I know none of them like the Pens. The response from all three was; "We were on NHL.com and saw his picture daddy. He is a cutie.".

One of the more interesting parts of having daughters so into hockey.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'll I can say about Jordan Staal coming to Buffalo is my daughters would be very excited.

He is on the wall of cuties in their bedroom next to the guys from Twilight and various other guys in boy bands I can't rememebr the names of.

I remember walking into their room one morning to get them up for school and saw Jordan Staal up on the wall. I asked why he was up there because I know none of them like the Pens. The response from all three was; "We were on NHL.com and saw his picture daddy. He is a cutie.".

One of the more interesting parts of having daughters so into hockey.
Slighty OT -

one of the dudes in Twilight is named Jake ....

I know this only because we got a new puppy about 5 weeks ago and he got named Jake. When I asked why/how this name came to be, "well don't you know Jake is so and so from Twilight" {my 10 year old daughter}

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:51 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. . .

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote