HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter could be available

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2010, 11:09 PM
  #26
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Sorry dude. If Pleks hits 70 points a year at 4.5m and Carter gives you 90 (whose contract is up after next year), I'd prefer Hartnell's bulldog approach and 30 goals/30 assists and his playoff performance with a guy like van Riemsdyk to give our top 2 lines some jam and size on the wings. Guys like Armstrong at 3m is ridiculous. Would you prefer Carter and our current wingers or guys at Armstrong for 3m rather than Hartnell, Pleks and van Riemsdyk? I'd pick the latter.
I'd like to point out he following:

-Plekanec had a career year. He's only twice gotten to around 70 pts.
-I'd be highly surprised if he signed for only 4.5m a year, unless he signs a long contract of like 8 years.
- Carter's contract has 2 years left on it, and he's an RFA when it's done.
- Carter is 25 years old. Plekanec is 28 at the start of next season.
- Plekanec DISAPPEARED vs the Flyers
- Guys like Hartnell are a lot easier to find than guys like Carter.
- Hartnel makes 4.2m for the next 4 seasons so Id can't see how both him and Pleks at 4.5m (i'll use your amount) fit under the cap while considering we still need help in other areas.

So I'd take Carter any day of the weak over Hartnell and van Riemsdyk.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
  #27
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
I'd like to point out he following:

-Plekanec had a career year. He's only twice gotten to around 70 pts.
-I'd be highly surprised if he signed for only 4.5m a year, unless he signs a long contract of like 8 years.
- Carter's contract has 2 years left on it, and he's an RFA when it's done.
- Carter is 25 years old. Plekanec is 28 at the start of next season.
- Plekanec DISAPPEARED vs the Flyers
- Guys like Hartnell are a lot easier to find than guys like Carter.
- Hartnel makes 4.2m for the next 4 seasons so Id can't see how both him and Pleks at 4.5m (i'll use your amount) fit under the cap while considering we still need help in other areas.

So I'd take Carter any day of the weak over Hartnell and van Riemsdyk.
I'll take that. The question is how do we solve our wings then. Apparently Carter's contract is up in 2010-2011 which is next season so only 1 left.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
  #28
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,598
vCash: 500
....but he doesn't speak french!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
  #29
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i drather trade for spezza, he might score less goals but would complement cammalleri to perfection

spezza has 90 pts potential year in and year out, carter doesnt
Spezza is softer than Carter.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:48 PM
  #30
DogsFan*
GHG
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
You guys are nuts, Giroux is going nowhere, Carter may be available but Price alone is not going to bring him to Montreal.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
  #31
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,471
vCash: 500
Why would the Flyers want to trade Carter? It gives them one of the best two-punch of the NHL at the center position. Are we in a Tim Burton movie?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
  #32
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
I was listening to CKAC, and they said Jeff Carter could be available? Would you trade Jeff Carter for Carey Price? Could be a risky move to Price in the same conference and Carter`s recent injuries.
I'm sure the Flyers are all over that than trading Giroux or JVR for Price.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:20 AM
  #33
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,498
vCash: 500
He doesn't have the head for Montreal pressure ...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
  #34
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Carey Price to Philly? NO ****ING WAY.

Halak and something else for Carter and we have a deal but I don't give Price to a division rival.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:37 AM
  #35
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
I was listening to CKAC, and they said Jeff Carter could be available? Would you trade Jeff Carter for Carey Price? Could be a risky move to Price in the same conference and Carter`s recent injuries.
If you are Philly, do you trade Carter for Price?....I think not!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
  #36
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i drather trade for spezza, he might score less goals but would complement cammalleri to perfection

spezza has 90 pts potential year in and year out, carter doesnt
Spezza and his 8M cap hit is simply not worth it...he will cost you fortune and his contrat is less than friendly.....plus, read the Ottawa papers....they are more often down on him than the opposite....nope, I would not pay for him....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
  #37
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Pretty funny, everyone ignored the most important post of this thread.

I doubt Holmgren has put Carter on the market, amidst the Cup finals. This is classic speculation from radio hosts.
Logic is not needed on HFBoards.

I'm sure Holmgren is offering Carter around the league right now, in the middle of the finals, risking everything so they can get their trade on a few days early. And of course CKAC is so connected that they've heard of this rumor but thank God Carter doesn't listen to CKAC or it could be disastrous.

Oh and I heard Toews and Kane are available too but its hush hush, don't tell them

Go Habs Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:46 AM
  #38
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Didn't you guys hear that Malkin, Semin, Crosby and Ovechkin are all on the block because they didn't make it to the ECF?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:58 AM
  #39
cap10bfl
Registered User
 
cap10bfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,957
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Spezza and his 8M cap hit is simply not worth it...he will cost you fortune and his contrat is less than friendly.....plus, read the Ottawa papers....they are more often down on him than the opposite....nope, I would not pay for him....
first spezza's cap hit is 7m, he already had 2 90 pt seasons to go with another one at 87 pts, all of them playin less than 70 games...

spezza might not be as physical as carter but he isnt soft, and neither is carter this physical machine people tend to say he is...

we have shooters in cammalleri and gionta, spezza would fit better on a line with cammalleri than carter would, cammy could pot 50 goals while spezza racks up assists, also, spezza has a wicked shot also and could improve on cammy's assist total...

a 90 pt player costing 7m for 5 more years and entering his prime at 26, i dont see how he can be overpaid...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:04 AM
  #40
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
first spezza's cap hit is 7m, he already had 2 90 pt seasons to go with another one at 87 pts, all of them playin less than 70 games...

spezza might not be as physical as carter but he isnt soft, and neither is carter this physical machine people tend to say he is...

we have shooters in cammalleri and gionta, spezza would fit better on a line with cammalleri than carter would, cammy could pot 50 goals while spezza racks up assists, also, spezza has a wicked shot also and could improve on cammy's assist total...

a 90 pt player costing 7m for 5 more years and entering his prime at 26, i dont see how he can be overpaid...
OKay just for fun what would it take to get Spezza

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:56 AM
  #41
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
40 goal centerman? Any day of the week.

I'm hoping Philly's goaltending looses them the cup so they'd be inclined to get on of our young tenders.
More like "40 goal centerman who's also big ? Not in Montréal, good sir. We will have none of that!"

Now, let's not forget that I can't see the original post. Also, why in the ****ing world would Holmgren put Carter on the block while his team is still, you know, in the playoffs, fighting for a cup ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:59 AM
  #42
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,498
vCash: 500
Carter is a sniper version of Joe Thornton

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
  #43
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
I was listening to CKAC, and they said Jeff Carter could be available? Would you trade Jeff Carter for Carey Price? Could be a risky move to Price in the same conference and Carter`s recent injuries.


You're wroooonnnnngggg !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:03 AM
  #44
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
first spezza's cap hit is 7m, he already had 2 90 pt seasons to go with another one at 87 pts, all of them playin less than 70 games...

spezza might not be as physical as carter but he isnt soft, and neither is carter this physical machine people tend to say he is...

we have shooters in cammalleri and gionta, spezza would fit better on a line with cammalleri than carter would, cammy could pot 50 goals while spezza racks up assists, also, spezza has a wicked shot also and could improve on cammy's assist total...

a 90 pt player costing 7m for 5 more years and entering his prime at 26, i dont see how he can be overpaid...
Because we don't need his 90 point total. Let me qualify that. We showed that once you get in the playoffs it's a different ball game. Sure i'd love a 90 point player. But I want to know that my top earner puts the team on his back and carries it over the finish line, like an Eric Staal. Spezza hasn't shown that. I know his playoff point per game is decent and I guess playing 2nd line center behind Gomez would take pressure off him. I just don't know if he has what it takes to go for a Cup.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:08 AM
  #45
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Because we don't need his 90 point total. Let me qualify that. We showed that once you get in the playoffs it's a different ball game. Sure i'd love a 90 point player. But I want to know that my top earner puts the team on his back and carries it over the finish line, like an Eric Staal. Spezza hasn't shown that. I know his playoff point per game is decent and I guess playing 2nd line center behind Gomez would take pressure off him. I just don't know if he has what it takes to go for a Cup.
He had a good playoffs run in.... 2006-2007 ! He sored 7 goals and 22 asissts. We can't really say what Spezza worth in playoffs as the Sens never went really far.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
  #46
Russian Warrior
SWAG
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
I want BIG bodies!!!

I want Carter!


Spezza? not so much...

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:44 AM
  #47
Smoke Monster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Carter is an overated centerman because of his size. He isn't even that good at face-off . He wasn't even a first choice on Canada's olympic team. He's got a great wrist shot and some speed. But he isn't someone that can deke around the defense and score ala Mario Lemieux. He's not a great passer. He isn't really a physical player. I'd call him a bigger version of Michael Ryder who gets physical when he can get away with it. He isn't a player that plays on fire, he has the temperment of a Ryder, almost half alseep, lacking intensity. People here are putting too much hope on this one player. I don't think Carter alone will make a huge difference to this team. He needs playmakers to be useful. And you can bet when his contract expires he's getting a huge salary increase because of all the hype surrounding him; probably in the 7million dollar range - not worth it.
We'd be stupid to trade a combination of Price, Plekanec, or Gorges for him.


Last edited by Smoke Monster: 06-08-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:00 AM
  #48
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Naoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nantes, France
Country: France
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
"He wasn't even a first choice on Canada's olympic team."
Dude, none of our players were even second choices.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:59 AM
  #49
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Carter is an overated centerman because of his size. He isn't even that good at face-off . He wasn't A) even a first choice on Canada's olympic team. He's got a great wrist shot and some speed. B) But he isn't someone that can deke around the defense and score ala Mario Lemieux. He's not a great passer. He isn't really a physical player. I'd call him C) a bigger version of Michael Ryder who gets physical when he can get away with it. He isn't a player that plays on fire, he has the temperment of a Ryder, almost half alseep, lacking intensity. People here are putting too much hope on this one player. I don't think Carter alone will make a huge difference to this team. D) He needs playmakers to be useful. And you can bet when his contract expires he's getting a huge salary increase because of all the hype surrounding him; probably in the 7million dollar range - not worth it.
We'd be stupid to trade a combination of Price, Plekanec, or Gorges for him.
First, the ones realizing they are still in the finals...kudos to you. There are some fans who are frustrated with him (he's playing with 2 broken feet), that's about where it ends. I sincerely doubt he gets traded.

As for the above...let's check your arguments...

A) So you would only trade for a player that made Team Canada? Interesting criteria, you may want to speak with your GM about that

B) He isn't Mario Lemieux...enough said

C) Bigger version of Michael Ryder? Really? He's a 2-way Center, he plays nothing like Michael Ryder.

D) He requires a playmaker...his 46 goal season last year he was between Hartnell and Lupul, both shoot first players. If you watched Carter whatsoever, you'd realize nearly all of his goals were done by speeding into their zone and ripping off a wrist shot. He's a puck possession type guy, what he requires is people generally opening the ice up for him.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:35 AM
  #50
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 50
I'd rather give Halak for Carter.
I would only trade Price to the western conference and only if the return was more then fair!
Something like Backes Berglund and Perron for Price Andrei and Sergei

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.