HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter could be available

Old
06-07-2010, 11:09 PM
schumway2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Sorry dude. If Pleks hits 70 points a year at 4.5m and Carter gives you 90 (whose contract is up after next year), I'd prefer Hartnell's bulldog approach and 30 goals/30 assists and his playoff performance with a guy like van Riemsdyk to give our top 2 lines some jam and size on the wings. Guys like Armstrong at 3m is ridiculous. Would you prefer Carter and our current wingers or guys at Armstrong for 3m rather than Hartnell, Pleks and van Riemsdyk? I'd pick the latter.
I'd like to point out he following:

-Plekanec had a career year. He's only twice gotten to around 70 pts.
-I'd be highly surprised if he signed for only 4.5m a year, unless he signs a long contract of like 8 years.
- Carter's contract has 2 years left on it, and he's an RFA when it's done.
- Carter is 25 years old. Plekanec is 28 at the start of next season.
- Plekanec DISAPPEARED vs the Flyers
- Guys like Hartnell are a lot easier to find than guys like Carter.
- Hartnel makes 4.2m for the next 4 seasons so Id can't see how both him and Pleks at 4.5m (i'll use your amount) fit under the cap while considering we still need help in other areas.

So I'd take Carter any day of the weak over Hartnell and van Riemsdyk.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
I'd like to point out he following:

-Plekanec had a career year. He's only twice gotten to around 70 pts.
-I'd be highly surprised if he signed for only 4.5m a year, unless he signs a long contract of like 8 years.
- Carter's contract has 2 years left on it, and he's an RFA when it's done.
- Carter is 25 years old. Plekanec is 28 at the start of next season.
- Plekanec DISAPPEARED vs the Flyers
- Guys like Hartnell are a lot easier to find than guys like Carter.
- Hartnel makes 4.2m for the next 4 seasons so Id can't see how both him and Pleks at 4.5m (i'll use your amount) fit under the cap while considering we still need help in other areas.

So I'd take Carter any day of the weak over Hartnell and van Riemsdyk.
I'll take that. The question is how do we solve our wings then. Apparently Carter's contract is up in 2010-2011 which is next season so only 1 left.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Habs

....but he doesn't speak french!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i drather trade for spezza, he might score less goals but would complement cammalleri to perfection

spezza has 90 pts potential year in and year out, carter doesnt
Spezza is softer than Carter.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:48 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

You guys are nuts, Giroux is going nowhere, Carter may be available but Price alone is not going to bring him to Montreal.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Why would the Flyers want to trade Carter? It gives them one of the best two-punch of the NHL at the center position. Are we in a Tim Burton movie?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
I was listening to CKAC, and they said Jeff Carter could be available? Would you trade Jeff Carter for Carey Price? Could be a risky move to Price in the same conference and Carter`s recent injuries.
I'm sure the Flyers are all over that than trading Giroux or JVR for Price.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:20 AM
coolasprICE

He doesn't have the head for Montreal pressure ...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Carey Price to Philly? NO ****ING WAY.

Halak and something else for Carter and we have a deal but I don't give Price to a division rival.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
I was listening to CKAC, and they said Jeff Carter could be available? Would you trade Jeff Carter for Carey Price? Could be a risky move to Price in the same conference and Carter`s recent injuries.
If you are Philly, do you trade Carter for Price?....I think not!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
i drather trade for spezza, he might score less goals but would complement cammalleri to perfection

spezza has 90 pts potential year in and year out, carter doesnt
Spezza and his 8M cap hit is simply not worth it...he will cost you fortune and his contrat is less than friendly.....plus, read the Ottawa papers....they are more often down on him than the opposite....nope, I would not pay for him....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Pretty funny, everyone ignored the most important post of this thread.

I doubt Holmgren has put Carter on the market, amidst the Cup finals. This is classic speculation from radio hosts.
Logic is not needed on HFBoards.

I'm sure Holmgren is offering Carter around the league right now, in the middle of the finals, risking everything so they can get their trade on a few days early. And of course CKAC is so connected that they've heard of this rumor but thank God Carter doesn't listen to CKAC or it could be disastrous.

Oh and I heard Toews and Kane are available too but its hush hush, don't tell them

Go Habs Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:46 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Didn't you guys hear that Malkin, Semin, Crosby and Ovechkin are all on the block because they didn't make it to the ECF?

Old
06-08-2010, 12:58 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Spezza and his 8M cap hit is simply not worth it...he will cost you fortune and his contrat is less than friendly.....plus, read the Ottawa papers....they are more often down on him than the opposite....nope, I would not pay for him....
first spezza's cap hit is 7m, he already had 2 90 pt seasons to go with another one at 87 pts, all of them playin less than 70 games...

spezza might not be as physical as carter but he isnt soft, and neither is carter this physical machine people tend to say he is...

we have shooters in cammalleri and gionta, spezza would fit better on a line with cammalleri than carter would, cammy could pot 50 goals while spezza racks up assists, also, spezza has a wicked shot also and could improve on cammy's assist total...

a 90 pt player costing 7m for 5 more years and entering his prime at 26, i dont see how he can be overpaid...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:04 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
first spezza's cap hit is 7m, he already had 2 90 pt seasons to go with another one at 87 pts, all of them playin less than 70 games...

spezza might not be as physical as carter but he isnt soft, and neither is carter this physical machine people tend to say he is...

we have shooters in cammalleri and gionta, spezza would fit better on a line with cammalleri than carter would, cammy could pot 50 goals while spezza racks up assists, also, spezza has a wicked shot also and could improve on cammy's assist total...

a 90 pt player costing 7m for 5 more years and entering his prime at 26, i dont see how he can be overpaid...
OKay just for fun what would it take to get Spezza

Old
06-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
40 goal centerman? Any day of the week.

I'm hoping Philly's goaltending looses them the cup so they'd be inclined to get on of our young tenders.
More like "40 goal centerman who's also big ? Not in Montréal, good sir. We will have none of that!"

Now, let's not forget that I can't see the original post. Also, why in the ****ing world would Holmgren put Carter on the block while his team is still, you know, in the playoffs, fighting for a cup ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:59 AM
coolasprICE

Carter is a sniper version of Joe Thornton

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Komarov47

Quote:

You're wroooonnnnngggg !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Ginu

Quote:

Because we don't need his 90 point total. Let me qualify that. We showed that once you get in the playoffs it's a different ball game. Sure i'd love a 90 point player. But I want to know that my top earner puts the team on his back and carries it over the finish line, like an Eric Staal. Spezza hasn't shown that. I know his playoff point per game is decent and I guess playing 2nd line center behind Gomez would take pressure off him. I just don't know if he has what it takes to go for a Cup.

Old
06-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Because we don't need his 90 point total. Let me qualify that. We showed that once you get in the playoffs it's a different ball game. Sure i'd love a 90 point player. But I want to know that my top earner puts the team on his back and carries it over the finish line, like an Eric Staal. Spezza hasn't shown that. I know his playoff point per game is decent and I guess playing 2nd line center behind Gomez would take pressure off him. I just don't know if he has what it takes to go for a Cup.
He had a good playoffs run in.... 2006-2007 ! He sored 7 goals and 22 asissts. We can't really say what Spezza worth in playoffs as the Sens never went really far.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

I want BIG bodies!!!

I want Carter!

Spezza? not so much...

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Smoke Monster

Carter is an overated centerman because of his size. He isn't even that good at face-off . He wasn't even a first choice on Canada's olympic team. He's got a great wrist shot and some speed. But he isn't someone that can deke around the defense and score ala Mario Lemieux. He's not a great passer. He isn't really a physical player. I'd call him a bigger version of Michael Ryder who gets physical when he can get away with it. He isn't a player that plays on fire, he has the temperment of a Ryder, almost half alseep, lacking intensity. People here are putting too much hope on this one player. I don't think Carter alone will make a huge difference to this team. He needs playmakers to be useful. And you can bet when his contract expires he's getting a huge salary increase because of all the hype surrounding him; probably in the 7million dollar range - not worth it.
We'd be stupid to trade a combination of Price, Plekanec, or Gorges for him.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 06-08-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

"He wasn't even a first choice on Canada's olympic team."
Dude, none of our players were even second choices.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:59 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Carter is an overated centerman because of his size. He isn't even that good at face-off . He wasn't A) even a first choice on Canada's olympic team. He's got a great wrist shot and some speed. B) But he isn't someone that can deke around the defense and score ala Mario Lemieux. He's not a great passer. He isn't really a physical player. I'd call him C) a bigger version of Michael Ryder who gets physical when he can get away with it. He isn't a player that plays on fire, he has the temperment of a Ryder, almost half alseep, lacking intensity. People here are putting too much hope on this one player. I don't think Carter alone will make a huge difference to this team. D) He needs playmakers to be useful. And you can bet when his contract expires he's getting a huge salary increase because of all the hype surrounding him; probably in the 7million dollar range - not worth it.
We'd be stupid to trade a combination of Price, Plekanec, or Gorges for him.
First, the ones realizing they are still in the finals...kudos to you. There are some fans who are frustrated with him (he's playing with 2 broken feet), that's about where it ends. I sincerely doubt he gets traded.

As for the above...let's check your arguments...

A) So you would only trade for a player that made Team Canada? Interesting criteria, you may want to speak with your GM about that

B) He isn't Mario Lemieux...enough said

C) Bigger version of Michael Ryder? Really? He's a 2-way Center, he plays nothing like Michael Ryder.

D) He requires a playmaker...his 46 goal season last year he was between Hartnell and Lupul, both shoot first players. If you watched Carter whatsoever, you'd realize nearly all of his goals were done by speeding into their zone and ripping off a wrist shot. He's a puck possession type guy, what he requires is people generally opening the ice up for him.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I'd rather give Halak for Carter.
I would only trade Price to the western conference and only if the return was more then fair!
Something like Backes Berglund and Perron for Price Andrei and Sergei

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote