HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Gabe Newell - Big E3 Announcement isn't Half-Life 2 Ep 3.

Old
06-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Gabe Newell - Big E3 Announcement isn't Half-Life 2 Ep 3.

Nor is it Portal 2

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...mage-Fake.html

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:23 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Episode 3 canned.

Half-Life 3 announced.

A man can dream. Seriously though, Gabe. I was pissed having to wait 6 years for Half-Life 2, and here we are, another 6 years passed... and I'm starting to get impatient again.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
A man can dream. Seriously though, Gabe. I was pissed having to wait 6 years for Half-Life 2, and here we are, another 6 years passed... and I'm starting to get impatient again.
Yeah but it was worth the wait wasn't it.

Old
06-08-2010, 05:28 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Yeah but it was worth the wait wasn't it.
Everything good is worth the wait when the waiting is over.

Doesn't mean I wasn't in pain half-way through 2002 waiting for the ****ing thing.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:17 AM
RStar*

I've never understood the all out Half-Life love. The game was good, but I didn't think it was the amazing genre changer some try to make it out to be. Hell, as a PC game I enjoyed Crysis far more.

Now Portal? I went into that with no expectations and was blow away. I can't wait for Portal 2. But Half Life 3? Meh. I'll buy it for sure when it comes out, but I'm way more amped for a game like Deus Ex 3.

If I had to guess I'd say this will be a new property all together.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Their big announcement for E3 will be LFD3. You watch.

Meanwhile they leave the HL2 story hanging.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
I've never understood the all out Half-Life love. The game was good, but I didn't think it was the amazing genre changer some try to make it out to be. Hell, as a PC game I enjoyed Crysis far more.
Half-Life broke the mold with both of their releases as well as not only taking online multiplayer gaming to a new level but opening its code so that regular joe's can make their own mods using the HL1 or HL2 engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
...and watch them piss off the L4D fan base yet again if they do.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
RStar*

Quote:

If they keep churning out LFD games the PC community is probably going to start a riot. Console gamers are used to companies churning out their franchise game every year with only minor tweaks and still costing $60. I don't see that as something catching on for the PC market. Valve is turning console. No one can blame them, its where the profit is. Hell, they probably sold more copies of The Orange Box on consoles after it had been out on PC for years. If they turn to the darkside, there isn't much left for PC game companies.

That being said steam makes them a pile of money, so I could be totally wrong on this one.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Half-Life broke the mold with both of their releases as well as not only taking online multiplayer gaming to a new level but opening its code so that regular joe's can make their own mods using the HL1 or HL2 engines.

...and watch them piss off the L4D fan base yet again if they do.
I don't see how it broke the single player mold. I thought the grav gun was overrated junk. I can pick up anything and huck it at enemies? Awesome. I'm sure glad there's 10,000 saw blades around for no apparent reason. On top of that I found a lot of the enemies to be boring. The crab guys and those zombies just seemed like the Flood from Halo, and no one liked them.

For online I can't argue. Giving open source for people to make mods was amazing, but that was only on the PC market. Console wears the video game crown these days. You can make the most amazing game in history on a PC, you still won't sniff the sales of a pokemon game.
There aren't too many people willing to drop 2+ grand to play the newest killer PC game, but if you only have to pay $300-600 every 6 years or so for a console? Most people can swing that.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
I don't see how it broke the single player mold. I thought the grav gun was overrated junk. I can pick up anything and huck it at enemies? Awesome. I'm sure glad there's 10,000 saw blades around for no apparent reason. On top of that I found a lot of the enemies to be boring. The crab guys and those zombies just seemed like the Flood from Halo, and no one liked them.

For online I can't argue. Giving open source for people to make mods was amazing, but that was only on the PC market. Console wears the video game crown these days. You can make the most amazing game in history on a PC, you still won't sniff the sales of a pokemon game.
There aren't too many people willing to drop 2+ grand to play the newest killer PC game, but if you only have to pay $300-600 every 6 years or so for a console? Most people can swing that.
Well you have to keep in mind that when it was released (2006) they had 1) re-written the original HL engine from the ground up. 2) the graphics and physics engine was ground breaking (obviously it's not any more) 3) it took the minuscule maps and map making environments and expanded it exponentially allowing for more room and less load time 4) it made the HL2 story line much more like you were in a movie instead of a video game with the continual play. I love playing it over and over again from various points in the game.

Valve made attempts to get HL2 working with PC and consoles but it hasn't seen the light of day.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:08 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:

I almost hope it's true, because it will be hilarious to see the ****storm that follows.

Valve is pretty much the last of the old guard of PC developers who still pretends to give a **** about the PC community compared to console development.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:39 AM
ILuvLucic*

I want them to finally shed some light on Aperture.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Frankie Spankie

God damn it Valve!! Give us Ep3 so we can finish the story up!!

I would be more than estatic if they announce Half-Life 3 though.

The gaming market needs another amazing FPS game, it's been too long.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote