HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

40-team European league soon set (for 2012-13)

Old
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM

vCash: 500
40-team European league soon set (for 2012-13)

So, yeah. We saw in the news yesterday that Luleå is negotiating about a spot in the new league. I'm guessing these teams already have spots:

HV71
Djurgården
Färjestad
Frölunda
Linköping
Malmö
Luleå (Negotiating)
???
???
???

That means there's three spots left, and we've got Södertälje, AIK, Skellefteå, MoDo, Brynäs and Timrå left for these three spots. So, who do you think will get to join? I'm putting my money on AIK, MoDo and Brynäs. Bleh.

I'm sorry if there's already a thread about this European League, I'm actually quite sure there is one but I just couldn't find it.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
KCrushers

European Trophy is NOT the same as the investigaton about swedish hockeys future. European Trophy is just a combination of old pre-season tournaments such as Nordic Trophy and Saltzburgh Red Bull Salute..

Just so we are clear

KCrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
This has seemed pretty inevitable. I'm fine with it and will continue to watch Frölunda.

I bet AIK, Brynäs and Modo are joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrushers View Post
European Trophy is NOT the same as the investigaton about swedish hockeys future. European Trophy is just a combination of old pre-season tournaments such as Nordic Trophy and Saltzburgh Red Bull Salute..

Just so we are clear
Indeed, title edited.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Sorry, haven't really cared much about these leagues before. And they change name all the bloody time, oh well.

And yeah, I'm putting my money on MoDo, Brynäs and AIK. The rest is pretty much ****ed I guess, sad but true. Oh well, at least I got to watch the SEL for 6-7 years.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:52 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

is it serious? Or a fiction of someone in newspapers? is it a Hakan Loob project?

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
KRM

Only ten teams and Luleå gets invited?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM

Seems to be serious, and yes, isn't this a Håkan Loob project?

I guess I shouldn't be sad or anything on the basis that I don't know if we've been invited or not, but I am. Seriously, what's going to happen to us now? This is going to ruin it for a lot of fans, it's not like I'm just going to jump ship and start supporting another team.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post

I guess I shouldn't be sad or anything on the basis that I don't know if we've been invited or not, but I am. Seriously, what's going to happen to us now? This is going to ruin it for a lot of fans, it's not like I'm just going to jump ship and start supporting another team.
thanks. And Is it a Loob project? I don´t understand you, sorry.
If I can ask, you are fan of which club?

Old
06-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
thanks. And Is it a Loob project? I don´t understand you, sorry.
If I can ask, you are fan of which club?
No worries, it is a Håkan Loob project.

Skellefteå AIK.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

thanks

Old
06-08-2010, 10:20 AM
KCrushers

Quote:

It's not a Loob project. It's an investigation that started with the teams that created Nordic Trophy and that's been going on for about two years now. The goal was to see how and if swedish hockey and the involved clubs could develop and strengthen their brand.

As it is now, all players that we produce head off to the NHL (or AHL in most cases) and SEL loses it's value more and more each year when it's being drained.

With that being said, I'm not sure what I feel about this. I like the format in wich SEL is played and I like the local connection with the teams and I'm not sure that will be the case when for example Bern or Eisberen Berlin are the opponents.

A new league would still have to wrestle with the main problem that we have today, the salaries of the players and if very big sponsors are ombord from day one, I'm afraid that a new league only would ruin what's already there.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It's not a Loob project. It's an investigation that started with the teams that created Nordic Trophy and that's been going on for about two years now. The goal was to see how and if swedish hockey and the involved clubs could develop and strengthen their brand.

As it is now, all players that we produce head off to the NHL (or AHL in most cases) and SEL loses it's value more and more each year when it's being drained.

With that being said, I'm not sure what I feel about this. I like the format in wich SEL is played and I like the local connection with the teams and I'm not sure that will be the case when for example Bern or Eisberen Berlin are the opponents.

A new league would still have to wrestle with the main problem that we have today, the salaries of the players and if very big sponsors are ombord from day one, I'm afraid that a new league only would ruin what's already there.
Oh, so it isn't a project by Loob? As far as I know Loob is highly involved in this project, but then again I might be wrong.

True, very true, higher salaries is the only way we're going to be able to compete with them about players. That's what making me worried, because we don't have the muscles to compete with the KHL and the NHL, that's just not happening. It'll just be like before (read now), with some bad players earning way to much money.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
It'll just be like before (read now), with some bad players earning way to much money.
Why do you think? I think that players will stay at home, won´t go to AHL a the best will go to NHL (I want to stay in Europe, but it is not real)

Old
06-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Why do you think? I think that players will stay at home, won´t go to AHL a the best will go to NHL (I want to stay in Europe, but it is not real)
Personally I feel that such an effect will take quite many years to develop, lets just face it, kids dream about NHL first and foremost, and they will take the chance to go there if they can even if they can earn good money in their home countries. They will still go over, just to give it a try and as soon as they fail they might realize that Europe is a viable option. I just don't see how we're going to be able to change this in a few years. That kind of change takes 15-20 years, or even more than that.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
KCrushers

Quote:
Oh, so it isn't a project by Loob? As far as I know Loob is highly involved in this project, but then again I might be wrong.

True, very true, higher salaries is the only way we're going to be able to compete with them about players. That's what making me worried, because we don't have the muscles to compete with the KHL and the NHL, that's just not happening. It'll just be like before (read now), with some bad players earning way to much money.
Loob was chosen by the involved clubs to head up the "taskforce" that lead the investigation so sure, he has been highly involved but it's not a project that's started by Loob or Färjestads BK.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
KCrushers

Quote:
As long as a entrycontract in the NHL/AHL pays far more than a top salery in SEL, we will keep losing players. It's as simple as that.

Longterm sponsors are needed and then time will tell if the leauge can get that kind of status that attracts players.

Old
06-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
As long as a entrycontract in the NHL/AHL pays far more than a top salery in SEL, we will keep losing players. It's as simple as that.

Longterm sponsors are needed and then time will tell if the leauge can get that kind of status that attracts players.
Exactly, keeping players ultimately comes down to financial muscle. I doubt the european teams in this league will have substantially more money than before, so I doubt it will make an impact that way.

What we could do, practically, is to take away the argument that young players needs to go over to North America in order to get accustomed to small rinks. If we go to small rinks then the NHL clubs won't have that argument anymore.

I believe all of this when I see it. At a quick glance it doesn't look promising. 10 teams from Sweden AND 10 teams from Finland? Thats too many in both cases if we want this to be a profitable league. 8 Swedish teams and 5 Finnish should be enough.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Korkki

How many years they have been trying to set an European league. I remember in 90es when there were almost yearly articles in Finnish magazine Jääkiekkolehti telling that Jokerit and TPS will leave Finland to play in European league. And still they play in Finland.

The European champions league was there for one season and then disappeared due financial reasons...

I think that there will be too much financial barriers ahead of this new league (costs will rise but I doubt that income won't rise to the same level). So this will be silently forgotten.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:48 AM
joe89

Modo has been asked it seems, that would leave two more invitations.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Petey21

If this league comes true, would that affect the number of non-EU players (Canadians etc) allowed on the rosters? I'm not sure how many they allow in Germany and Switzerland at the moment, but since many teams there are loaded with Canadians, they probably allow more than the two currently allowed in Swedish hockey. So would these rules change then? And would the league be independent from the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation (meaning that Englund would have no say )?

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:51 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21 View Post
If this league comes true, would that affect the number of non-EU players (Canadians etc) allowed on the rosters? I'm not sure how many they allow in Germany and Switzerland at the moment, but since many teams there are loaded with Canadians, they probably allow more than the two currently allowed in Swedish hockey. So would these rules change then? And would the league be independent from the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation (meaning that Englund would have no say )?
switzerland allows 5 i think. germany allows 10. but i guess the most likely solution is that they find a number that works for all teams on not-involved country imports (NA, russia...). and the involved countries don't count, so that there could play 20 swedes in germany for example and 15 germans in sweden (very likely )

and the league would of course be independant. i mean, most pro leagues are already. the DEL for example is independant and works together with the german federation, but only due to a contract/agreement.

is there any swedish info about teams from other countries that will/could join?

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
is there any swedish info about teams from other countries that will/could join?

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
zecke26

thank you. some interesting names, but with half of the teams missing it's not yet very concrete. although i bet hamburg and cologne would join immediately if asked.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Ribban

I've made a 180 on this idea, going from being totally against it to all for it.
The hockey world is broken and it is breaking down even more for each year going by. Some healthy competition might be just what the Dr. ordered.

Somebody mentioned the need for long-term sponsors to succeed, and I was wondering if anybody could help me along here. My thoughts are:

1. I doubt that we will see a significant increase in available sponsor money with a continental league. Logically, most "hockey friendly" sponsors are already tapped at their maximum, and whereas there might be a couple of "new" or "increased" revenue streams, I think we might lose some too. The Campions League failure seems indicative of the interest from the continental sponsors for these types of projects.

2. If "1" is true, it seems to me that the additional money must come from bigger and better TV contracts for this league to be financially successful. Looking at what countries are in and which ones are out, and the proportions of teams from Sweden and Finland vs. Germany and Switzerland, I serioulsy wonder how much the Swedish teams stand to gain on this deal.

3. Also, am I the only one thinking that London, Paris and some site in Italy ought to have teams? I know those countries might not produce enough players to compete, but if this is truly going to be Euro league, I guess I'd like to see the biggest cities be included (Carolina, Tampa Bay, and San Jose aren't necessarily known for producing tons of hockey talent but they still draw great crowds).

EDIT: So, whereas we might not see many Brits or French people playing on these teams, they can still ice a quality product (team) with players from other countries. Pros will travel, and crowds seem to pay little attention to where the players come from a long as they help the team to win.

If anybody has some insight or thoughts on the points above, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Ribban: 06-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:59 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

I think, team from Norway and Denmark should be invited.