HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The return of Jonas?

Old
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
The return of Jonas?

http://www.section303.com/2nd-round-...ith-preds-4743

Per section 303, Twitter and puck daddy reporter Dmitry Chesnokov,

"According to reports in Russia and Sweden, KHL Dynamo Minsk' Jonas Andersson is close to signing with the Predators"

It's got to be better than signing the Jonas brothers. My question is will it be a two way and is it, and potentially the exodus of other players, hinged on the potential collapse of the Euro currency?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Don't know much about him.
But if he can do this. Why not?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Well, we shall see. I just want to know what the contract is.

First Linus and now Jonas. A LOT of Euro players being signed.

Old
06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Another video of Andersson...appears to have good speed for a guy his size and a great wrist/snap shot that he loves to use to stop, pop, and score with...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Who needs a scouting department when you have youtube.....

He appears to be a goal scorer. 6'2" 209LBs shoots left. Age 28.

In Finland he was very good in the KHL scored 20 points in 30 games. 7 goals 13 points.

I just want to know if Linus Klassen or Jonas Andersson show they can play in the NHL can the reds trade some of their forward talent?

(I know, I Know, they are most likely Milwaukee talents.)

Old
06-07-2010, 05:10 PM
dulzhok

Depends if it's a one-way or two-way. Two-way, might as well. One-way, risky, especially for a cash strapped team.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Jarnberg

Replacement for when we cannot afford to re-sign Hornqvist?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Depends if it's a one-way or two-way. Two-way, might as well. One-way, risky, especially for a cash strapped team.
Has to be a two-way deal. Andersson didn't make the cut in four seasons of North American hockey prior to the lockout. He's gotta prove himself outright in training camp and the team cannot take a chance that he doesn't make the opening night roster and be forced to pay him an NHL salary in the AHL...

I think Andersson realizes this is probably his last chance at making a go of it in North American hockey. It's gotta be a two-way contract simply to show that not only is he willing to come over, but also stick here if he doesn't immediately make the NHL roster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I highly doubt that. You do not replace a 30 goal scorer with a 1999 2nd rounder with a grand total of 5 games in the NHL to date...

The thing I'm finding most interesting in reading about and watching footage of Andersson is that his last experience with North American hockey was pre-lockout during the "clutch and grab" era. This guy has blazing speed and the size and confidence with the puck to take the puck to the net. If he can play defense...I think he would make a great addition to the organization, but he's still gotta prove where he fits in...

Scouting Report from EliteProspects.com
Quote:
A fast-skating winger, Andersson likes driving the net and firing the puck. Creates scoring chances on his own with his speed. Plays a hard game and will instigate physical play.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...er=704&lang=en

Old
06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
More likely a countryman as a linemate for Hornqvist!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

He'll be cashing significantly larger paychecks in Europe by Thanksgiving.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He'll be cashing significantly larger paychecks in Europe by Thanksgiving.
Ever the optimist Worst.

Old
06-08-2010, 06:48 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Well, you know, it didn't work for him when he was 20 years old in NA, so there's no way it will work for him now.

20 points in 30 games in the KHL is significant, by the way.

And I also predict he has a significantly better chance of making an impact than Klasen.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Well, you know, it didn't work for him when he was 20 years old in NA, so there's no way it will work for him now.

20 points in 30 games in the KHL is significant, by the way.

And I also predict he has a significantly better chance of making an impact than Klasen.
Look at Rickard Wallin. He couldn't cut it here when he was younger, put up big points in the SEL and had 2 goals for the Leafs last year (1 empty netter). He was a decent defensive 4th liner, but nothing irreplacable.

I hope he makes it and plays well, but older Euro's who come over are very hit or miss.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:22 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Holy hell, what a terrible replacement. I'm not sure there is anything about Jonas other than his country of origin that resembles Patric. If that's management's plan, it's going to be an interesting season.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
this guy couldnt make the preds when we werent anywhere near as good as we are now. unless he is a total late bloomer this would be a depth signing for milwaukee. Might luck into a shot in the bigs like Scatchard did but more likely will be in the AHL all year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this guy couldnt make the preds when we werent anywhere near as good as we are now. unless he is a total late bloomer this would be a depth signing for milwaukee. Might luck into a shot in the bigs like Scatchard did but more likely will be in the AHL all year.
Some guys are late bloomers. Martin St. Louis being one of the bigger names and Joel Ward being a lesser name. If we can get a Ward like season out of him or a little more than that's fine. Heck, Hornqvist looked so so at best his first year and then turned it into a 30 goal season. There is no rhyme or reason why guys are bad and then all of a sudden bloom into a good player. Maybe getting on the ice and getting a chance to mature while playing was all that needed to happen for him.

Heck, Scott Walker was a converted defenseman for us that started out as a fourth line grinder that turned into a pretty decent player for us. Worst thing that happens is Jonas sucks and he goes back overseas. Upside is he pans out and we add another low priced scoring option.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I agree that he's very much a long shot to make the roster, but Andersson is a guy who has proven himself to be very productive in Europe and would warrant much more than the $60-100k that he would get playing in the AHL all year. If he can't get to the NHL by the end of November, he'll head back across the pond.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It's a super low risk move. I've read good comments about him from both Lucas Bergman and Paul Fenton...the fact that they've kept him on their radar all this time says SOMETHING. He's produced everywhere he's played since he left NA at a pretty young age.

I will make this bold prediction, and you can feel free to bookmark it:

Jonas Andersson will be a more productive Predator than either Cal O'Reilly or Mike Santorelli.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It's a super low risk move. I've read good comments about him from both Lucas Bergman and Paul Fenton...the fact that they've kept him on their radar all this time says SOMETHING. He's produced everywhere he's played since he left NA at a pretty young age.

I will make this bold prediction, and you can feel free to bookmark it:

Jonas Andersson will be a more productive Predator than either Cal O'Reilly or Mike Santorelli.
We'll that's not saying much

A really bold prediction would be that he'll outplay 2 of Sullivan, Dumont, or Wilson for a scoringline role on the team. Because that's probably what he's going to have to do make an impact.

I still think there's a chance he's wanting a 1-way contract. He'll be making atleast 20 times less in the AHL than the KHL. Heck, we gave it Sulzer, Zidlicky, and O'reilly.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
teddygmr

I hope he makes it and plays well, but older Euro's who come over are very hit or miss.[/QUOTE]

Mark Streit played one very mediocre year in the minors as a 22 year old in
1999-2000, went back to Europe and developed his game. He then came to NHL with Montreal at 28 and has done VERY well.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4092

Andersson is fairly big, supposedly great speed and has a goal scoring knack. He lead Team Sweden at the recent World Championships with 6 goals in 9 games, playing with and against a lot of NHL'ers!
Let's see how he does in training camp!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Jarnberg

I wasn't being serious about Andersson actually replacing Hornqvist's production, but I wouldn't be surprised that a) we cannot afford Hornvqist and b) if so, Poile is trying to throw a bunch of players at that roster hole and see what sticks.

As for Andersson, assuming it is a two-way deal, I'm all for it; he may be a late bloomer.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Mark Streit played one very mediocre year in the minors as a 22 year old in
1999-2000, went back to Europe and developed his game. He then came to NHL with Montreal at 28 and has done VERY well.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4092

Andersson is fairly big, supposedly great speed and has a goal scoring knack. He lead Team Sweden at the recent World Championships with 6 goals in 9 games, playing with and against a lot of NHL'ers!
Let's see how he does in training camp!
Mark Streit is another example of what I was referring to earlier when I pointed to the major difference in the NHL since the lockout...the rule changes eliminating clutch and grab hockey...

If Andersson is to succeed in North America, it will be by using his speed as his primary weapon. With the more open style of play since his first go-around, it might just be the tonic necessary for Andersson to succeed in the NHL.

IMO, a very low-risk, high-reward opportunity here as long as we sign him to a two-way deal. Andersson has to take on some of the risk here in the form of a two-way deal if he wants to return to North America and convince the Preds that he is really willing to make it work...

Old
06-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I wasn't being serious about Andersson actually replacing Hornqvist's production, but I wouldn't be surprised that a) we cannot afford Hornvqist and b) if so, Poile is trying to throw a bunch of players at that roster hole and see what sticks.
I think that is very unnecessary and unfounded speculation right now.

First, Poile and Hornqvist I'm sure are discussing contract length and salary which due to a jump from 2 to 30 goals scored in your two seasons of North American hockey will undoubtedly take a while to sort out. A shorter deal benefits Poile, but has to be for a higher salary to pacify Hornqvist and similarly a longer deal benefits Hornqvist, but must be for a lower salary to appease Poile. Somewhere, there will be a middle ground found...it's just gonna take a bit of time...

Second, there is no way at this stage of our rebuilding process following the Leipold-Balsillie purge that we simply throw a bunch of untested players at a problem heading into a season just to see if anything sticks...Andersson, Klasen, and others are being signed to provide organizational depth on the cheap. We cannot afford to go out and sign big name free agents, so like many small-market teams do in baseball...we are signing "late bloomers" and other free agents from overseas and elsewhere to bring them over and see if they cannot fill a hole within the organization or create a surplus at any one position to work from to fill another hole...

I know the summer is already seeming way too long, but there is way too much being read into every situation...

Old
06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought Anderson's problem was staying healthy...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
More likely a countryman as a linemate for Hornqvist!
good call!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote