HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign G Cory Schneider to 2-Year, 1-Way Contract - $900K/season

Old
06-02-2010, 05:35 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 500
I imagine, Gillis convinced Schneider to a 2year deal. If Cory succeeds, then a 1year contract worth 900k is very attractive to other teams.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
he can't do that whenever he wants to anyway? isn't that what dany heatley did?
I was thinking about that as well. It makes me think there is some sort of clause in the contract that has repercussions for pulling a Dany (demanding a trade).

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
timw33

I'm pretty sure Schneider can still clear waivers too, despite the 1 way contract (which has no affect on waiver status despite what NHL09 has taught us).

Edit: Yep, he still has 1 full year before he is waiver eligible.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
TSN confirms, two-years, 1-way at $900,000 per season.

I would be surprised if the Canucks don't add another veteran goaltender for depth/push. Someone of the Wade Flaherty ilk who is likely Moose bound, but has some NHL experience to fall back on if the Canucks need someone to step in or if Schneider falters.
or there is an injury

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
vancityluongo

Cool, now trade Raycroft's rights for a pick.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Cory is going to lead us to the cup next year, book it!

Andre Boudrias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundskeeperWillie View Post
Cory is showing some loyalty to the team that drafted him.
I suspect it's more like Cory is seeing a vulnerable starter and a legit shot at the Big Chair. If he unseats Luongo his market value in two years will be astronomical relative to what he's being paid now.

Anyway, competition at every position is good for the team, glad to see Gillis firing this shot across Roberto's bow! Even if we have to overpay a couple hundred K to make it happen.

Old
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I suspect it's more like Cory is seeing a vulnerable starter and a legit shot at the Big Chair. If he unseats Luongo his market value in two years will be astronomical relative to what he's being paid now.
Never ceases to amaze me. You'll never pass up a chance to bash Luongo.

Despite his playoff shortcomings, Luongo, at the very least, is a #1 goaltender. You can argue that he doesn't get it done in the playoffs, but he usually does his part during the regular season in helping us get to the playoffs.

Your pipedream that Luongo gets unseated by a rookie goalie is just that, a pipedream.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
he can't do that whenever he wants to anyway? isn't that what dany heatley did?
No I don't think so, how I understood it was that its a NMC that neither side can waive until Luongo at 5 years and the management at 7.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I suspect it's more like Cory is seeing a vulnerable starter and a legit shot at the Big Chair.
I don't believe for one second that a grown man that can read and write would actually think a rookie goalie would decide to sign with a team because they have suspect goaltending with Roberto Luongo in net.

You've got to be ****ing kidding me.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
No I don't think so, how I understood it was that its a NMC that neither side can waive until Luongo at 5 years and the management at 7.
Don't think that's possible. Players can waive their NTC/NMC whenever they want.

The way I understood it, Luongo has the right to request a trade to a certain number of teams after five seasons and the Canucks have to comply. It's not just simply requesting a trade, it's forcing one.

EDIT: Dug up a link:

Quote:
The first comes five years into the extension. If Luongo isn’t pleased with where the team is at, or where it’s heading, he can then trigger a trade. The out clause is timed for what should be an organizational crossroads — one year after the Sedins’ current long-term deal is up. The Canucks have agreed to accommodate the request by moving Luongo at that point.
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=1963084

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
You'll never pass up a chance to bash Luongo.
Right, because now saying nice things about Schneider and expecting some really good things from him as a Canuck is "bashing Luongo". Seriously, get a grip, mate.

Best of luck to Schneider - may he be all we hope of him, and all he dreams of being!

Quote:
Your pipedream that Luongo gets unseated by a rookie goalie is just that, a pipedream.
Why such negative attitude towards Canuck's best prospect? Have a little faith, my man, have a little faith...

Old
06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Desjardins also played on one of the better teams in the AHL, particularly defensively. Canucks and Moose D was ravaged by injury. Schneider still had similar numbers in many more games. Schneider is a former 1st round pick, with talent, size and pedigree. He is a much better NHL prospect than Cedric Desjardins. Stats aren't everything.
You make a good point on the D comparison - or lack thereof - between the Moose and the Bulldogs but the fact that somebody is a former 1st rounder shouldn't be relevant.

I think the quantum of the offer is mostly because of the RFA qualifying offer stuff, the 2 years is to give the Canucks potential trade upside if Schneider has a good 1st year. So overall a good deal for both parties - and it helps that its 900 and not 975. The one way is also good for his confidence and after toiling in Winnipeg for 3 years, he deserves it.

With this one way deal, we are seeing Gillis the GM and not Gillis the agent and that's a good thing because IMO, a GM's primary responsibility is to look out for the best interests' of his players.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Komarov47

So does it means that Raycroft is gone? Schneider will be the backup? Because i really thought the Nucks would use him as a very good trade value.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:21 AM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
So does it means that Raycroft is gone? Schneider will be the backup? Because i really thought the Nucks would use him as a very good trade value.
Well because he's signed for two more years now and not subject to offer sheets or waivers his value is higher today than last week, but in terms of his play he's proven nothing new in awhile.

Although I heard his interview with Moj today and I liked what Schneider had to say. He's really happy the negotiations didn't drag on and having this sorted out so early in the off-season will let him solely focus on training really hard, etc.

I hope that the perceived dead end job he has here behind Roberto acts as extra motivation for him to be honest.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:32 AM
MS

Still wouldn't be surprised at all if he's traded.

This contract ups his value substantially as it takes the Group VI UFA situation out of play and teams know he's going to be a cheap asset for the next two years.

In any case good to have it done and over with.

_________

As for Raycroft, anyone thinking he's going to get over $1 million is dreaming.

A guy like Martin Biron, who was a quality starting goalie in the NHL for a decade, was only able to get $1.2 million last year.

15 games as a Canuck isn't going to erase 4 years of horrible play in the minds of GMs, and Raycroft will probably be looking at $700k/year if he's lucky.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Peter Griffin

Good signing. A little higher cap hit for a back-up goalie than you'd like, but given the situation, Schneider's QO being even higher, it's a good deal nonetheless. Here's hoping that Schneider can play well, take some of the load off Luongo and increase his trade value for a trade at the deadline or possibly next off-season.

It's funny reading posts from a fans of other teams(Blues, Flyers) who are whining that Schneider signed a two year deal just to "carry Luongo's bags".

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:43 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
This is the second time Schneider was in position to pull an agent power play to improve his personal situation, and both times he has gone the loyalty route. It says a lot about his commitment and attitude. And that Wetcoaster is not his agent.
I'm not so sure of that. Wet had early pointed out that Schneider could be taken to arbitration by the Canucks. Gillis probably put the 2 year deal on the table, and Schneider's agent probably felt the guaranteed money over 2 years is better return than the potential arbitration award would have been.

lots of positives for Schneider as well. he gets to practice behind one of the games best (this season notwithstanding) and for a team in contention. Gillis no doubt gave Schneider some assurances on making the final roster (not a guarantee, but told him it's his job to lose) and that they want Lu to get more rest next season.

and Schneider can see the writing on the wall. It's simply a wasted asset for the Canucks to leave Schneider on the bench for years after he's shown he can play in the NHL.

another positive, this should guarantee having a full-time goalie coach next year. Sorry Lu, but the prospect needs coaching.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Scurr

I'm glad to hear we got another assett locked up, but I think having a Luongo/Schneider tandem going forward is a bad idea. Lu seems fragile to me, and in this market a goalie contraversy involving Schneider could happen after one good game for him and one bad one from Luongo. Real or percieved, I'm not sure that kind of thing would be good for Luongo.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
crazyforhockey

Great move we have two goalies that can play.....Give Luongo a break 20-25gms.And still win games.

Cory gets exposure in the NHL and with a two year contract if he shines will be enticing to potential buyers......maybe even before the season starts.

And with a couple of UFA Dmen(hamhuis and ? and Rome 7th) locked up this July......three solid FO men in Henrik,Kesler,Hodgson.....I am thinking Jennings award if we keep Cory for the season.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:20 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Raycroft did an amazing job for us, I laughed when we signed him but I give the guy a lot of credit. He played a lot better than I expected.

Canucks are getting the youth push in the next 2 years. A top 5 team with a youth injection of Hodgson, Schroeder and Grabner, things are looking good for us next year and even more so the following year.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:23 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
He would have to pass through waivers on a two way, so yes it's a one way deal for sure. Kinda want to see the dollar figures though ;(
Yeah he just wants to make sure he gets paid his full salary.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
Great move we have two goalies that can play.....Give Luongo a break 20-25gms.And still win games.
Schneider has yet to prove he is an NHL goalie - either as a backup or starter.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Not this again... Please, tell us what you REALLY think!

He's going to be given a chance to adapt to the NHL whether you like it or not.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I've seen this repeated over and over from you. I'll present this apples and oranges argument. And I mean this all with much respect.

Were you a proven lawyer while you were honing your craft in law school? No, of course not, but you probably excelled compared to your peers and there was a high probability that you would become a successful lawyer.

What about in your first 10 real cases? Are you a proven lawyer after 10 cases? Can we compare your first 10 cases to Schneider's first 10 games in the NHL? Are probabilities high that, with experience, someone with the pedigree of Schneider will succeed at an NHL level? Of course they are. Saying they're not would be arguing for the sake of arguing - which you're good at because you are now (or were formerly) an excellent lawyer.

People are saying Schneider will be Luongo's back-up based on educated probabilities and past events. I see nothing wrong with that, yet you seem to want to point out that Schneider has yet to prove he is capable of being an NHL goalie. Well, no kidding man. Nobody in the history of civilization has proven anything whatsoever until they've been put in a situation to do so, and Cory Schneider has earned that opportunity, and then some.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote