HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Jersey logo - clarifications

Old
05-30-2010, 02:37 PM
QcS

vCash: 500
Hockey Jersey logo - clarifications

Hey,

One of our teams in our hockey league is buying new jerseys. They have their logo, and will use the Reebok 2010 Edge gamewear Minnesota 3rd jersey as the blank to put their logo on.

Now i never got jerseys made like this before, so maybe some of you can explain to me how it works so that we can get a nice looking jersey.

What is twill? how does it work? The guy at the store i went to told me that everyone gets the logo, numbers and name PRINTED now.. is that right? is there a big difference in price for the printed or for having it sown?

Thanks in advance

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:45 PM
robmneilson

Twill means sewn on numbers, printed is kinda cheap and crappy looking.

Printed works fine, but if you can get twill for a decent price it looks much better.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:09 AM
vinogradov8

Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
I would go twill, printed is crap to me. It doesnt feel real. Its like if boy scouts go their badges painted on now....not as rewarding.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Razzmatazz

Yeah, if you have real jerseys, get the real numbers, the twill. For the low quality generic jerseys, painted is fine, but paint doesn't belong on a quality jersey.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Where are you getting your jerseys from? My team wants to get custom jerseys next season. We want to provide our own custom logo and get it put onto a jersey.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:11 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Attachment 39948
Attachment 39949
I have designed a few jerseys. I usually go the screen printed route since it seems to be much cheaper, It looks great, and its mens league. If you are planning on keeping the same guys together for a while it may be worth it to go Twill, but it can be pretty pricey.

when going printed, you can utilize the jersey color and one color to lower your cost, not sure that is the case with Twill. We got the bruins 1972 style jersey with the tie strings (Athletic Knit Jersey) and i used the black as one color and used white and yellow for another so it was three colors but only paying for two.
On the Other, i used the Maroon as background and added gold, white, Black.

Each color adds more cost for both the jersey and Set-up. Each color cost me $25 through the total order to Set up. I think the maroon one was @ $35 each for 20 jerseys, and the Black was @ $40 each for 20. The maroon would have been much cheaper, but the third color added to the overall cost.

As for the #'s on back, i think i went just one color block. No names because we can sometimes have turnover. And minimum order is 6 jerseys if you need more, and the price goes up because the set-up fee is amortized over a smaller qty.

Not sure where these guys have gotten crappy printed ones, but I am very satisfied with mine and I work in the Design/Printing industry.

Altho, if you are going with a RBK jersey, i am guessing money is not really much of an issue.

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 03-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
greyraven8

here's one site that explains a great variety of cresting options.

http://bigstick.ca/crests/index.htm

haven't bought from them, but it will also give you an idea of approx. cost of each method too.

for a crest that is printed on twill - dye sublimation printing will last; screen printing will eventually fade and crack.

a simpler design without a lot of detail (like the original canucks crest, or the north stars) you can get all in twill; if you want to save money and have a lot of free time you can make crests like that yourself. you can buy the tackle twill or pro twill online from twill usa, stahls, etc.
if you want to go this route and want details on making your own crests, message me - warning doing a whole team set will take a long time and is a pain in the ass ( i did it once).

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
timekeep

Twill is a nice material, much more classier, especially if you sew on the numbers and names. Has/Is this team going to be together for a while or do players rotate in and out on a yearly basis. Printed Jerseys are cheaper and look cheaper. All depends if you want to feel like an NHLer or just out to play a game of hockey and appearance and feel don't matter.

Like the greyraven just said it does take much longer to design, etc for the sewn own logos, names and numbers.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
QcS

Thanks for all the info guys.

After reading up your info and going to a couple of stores in the region (and seeing samples), we have made the decision that we want twill.

We have another problem right now though. The jersey we want to use is the Reebok edge 2010 Buffalo third (i mistakingly wrote minnesota in the first message). One store told us that there's a backorder going all the way to end of october for this jersey. That's fine, IF we know we can get it. The other store though told us they talked to reebok and that the jersey would not be made anymore because Buffalo is going to go with a different 3rd jersey.

That makes no sense to me. This is a new jersey from this year, and it's very damn nice. Does anyone have any inside on this?

We really like the Buffalo 3rd, with tie up at the top, and the logo fits great.

Also, anyone have gotten jerseys made in the Ottawa region? what place do you recommend?

Thanks again

Old
06-08-2010, 12:40 PM
timekeep

contact reebok, to see if they are still offering the jersey. The other companies that make the unofficial jerses have more to offer. RBK might only make current. I have never purchased RBK but have bought AK, SP.

Old
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
QcS

timekeep: i was just wondering about that.. i have the AthleticKnit catalogue and there seems to be the same buffalo jersey in there. Is the quality pretty much the same?

Old
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
sherwood sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Attachment 39948
Attachment 39949
I have designed a few jerseys. I usually go the screen printed route since it seems to be much cheaper, It looks great, and its mens league. If you are planning on keeping the same guys together for a while it may be worth it to go Twill, but it can be pretty pricey.

when going printed, you can utilize the jersey color and one color to lower your cost, not sure that is the case with Twill. We got the bruins 1972 style jersey with the tie strings (Athletic Knit Jersey) and i used the black as one color and used white and yellow for another so it was three colors but only paying for two.
On the Other, i used the Maroon as background and added gold, white, Black.

Each color adds more cost for both the jersey and Set-up. Each color cost me $25 through the total order to Set up. I think the maroon one was @ $35 each for 20 jerseys, and the Black was @ $40 each for 20. The maroon would have been much cheaper, but the third color added to the overall cost.

As for the #'s on back, i think i went just one color block. No names because we can sometimes have turnover. And minimum order is 6 jerseys if you need more, and the price goes up because the set-up fee is amortized over a smaller qty.

Not sure where these guys have gotten crappy printed ones, but I am very satisfied with mine and I work in the Design/Printing industry.

Altho, if you are going with a RBK jersey, i am guessing money is not really much of an issue.
I take it you play at Fox Valley?

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
timekeep: i was just wondering about that.. i have the AthleticKnit catalogue and there seems to be the same buffalo jersey in there. Is the quality pretty much the same?
Both Jerseys i have used are AK.
It depends on which quality you go for. Both of the ones i attached are pretty good. They have more mesh styles to, but the screen print would no look too good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood sniper View Post
I take it you play at Fox Valley?
That I do....You play in the Mens League there?

Old
06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
sherwood sniper

Quote:
Both Jerseys i have used are AK.
It depends on which quality you go for. Both of the ones i attached are pretty good. They have more mesh styles to, but the screen print would no look too good.

That I do....You play in the Mens League there?

Occasionally...Helped out there house team a few times. Used to be the old stomping grounds in HS. Play busch league mens at All Seasons now though. But I knew those bars instantly....lol

Old
06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood sniper View Post
Occasionally...Helped out there house team a few times. Used to be the old stomping grounds in HS. Play busch league mens at All Seasons now though. But I knew those bars instantly....lol
I live closer to All seasons and used to play pick up during Lunch there. when i moved here, the session was mid swing and i needed to go through try-outs or something for mens league....
Off to FVIA i went.
Started out on the house team originally way back when. Place is pretty nice. The dude who owns the bar in there is an idiot for closing early on Mens league night. Now we just bring a rolling cooler in. They allow drinks at all seasons? I was thinking of joining a league there now also.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:08 PM
sherwood sniper

Quote:
I live closer to All seasons and used to play pick up during Lunch there. when i moved here, the session was mid swing and i needed to go through try-outs or something for mens league....
Off to FVIA i went.
Started out on the house team originally way back when. Place is pretty nice. The dude who owns the bar in there is an idiot for closing early on Mens league night. Now we just bring a rolling cooler in. They allow drinks at all seasons? I was thinking of joining a league there now also.
I think drinking is a requirement for all seasons...lol...very open about liquor. Also the league is run by Cheli (cousin), and imo, is very well run. Did you play for team x? If so you might have played with me.

Also sorry to the OP for this hi-jack...lol

Old
06-10-2010, 01:05 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
AK has different quality levels, of course the better the quality the more you pay. I wouldn't compare AK to an NHL level jersey but the higher end ones are very good and probably pay half price. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.