HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roman Josi - Signed to a 3 year ELC (Will play in North America in 2010-11)

Old
05-31-2010, 07:12 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Blum and Jose both make the Predators next season...
Could very well happen. As good as Blum has looked at camp the last few years I wouldn't be surprised. Also, with as many good things as we keep hearing about Josi, he could very well make a play for a spot as well.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Blum and Jose both make the Predators next season...
I can't see both of them making it unless we make a move later in the off-season to send Sulzer elsewhere. We're not going to shuttle him back and forth again like we did last year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I can't see both of them making it unless we make a move later in the off-season to send Sulzer elsewhere. We're not going to shuttle him back and forth again like we did last year.
If they've earned it and play better than Sulzer he's the number 7 or first call up guy. No way can we trade him if Grebs, Hamhuis and Bouillon aren't re-signed. We would have no depth and if we lose all three of who I just mentioned, we're gonna be thin back there as it is.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:57 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If they've earned it and play better than Sulzer he's the number 7 or first call up guy. No way can we trade him if Grebs, Hamhuis and Bouillon aren't re-signed. We would have no depth and if we lose all three of who I just mentioned, we're gonna be thin back there as it is.
I was thinking Sulzer would be the seventh guy regardless. I also have a feeling that Grebeshkov will be retained. Poile didn't give up a second round pick for six games of a a very talented offensive defender.

That gives us:

Weber-Suter
Grebeshkov-?
Franson-Klein (unless Klein plays lights-out in camp)
Sulzer

So we need someone who can play with Grebeshkov or Franson. That guy could very well be Blum, with Josi starting the year in Milwaukee to get used to the speed and physicality of the game on smaller ice. I doubt it's the other way around, though, because putting two offensive defenders together is a recipe for disaster.

I just can't see Poile putting Sulzer through waivers to pay him $650k in the minors again, even if he gets outplayed in camp.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:44 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Don't ya' think Grebs style would be a bit too "exciting" for Trotz? Even our "offensive" dmen are supposed to think D first.

Personally, only way I can see us signing Grebs or Hammy would be if we can't sign Horny and Poile can't sign a top 6 F to come in. There just isn't money in the budget. Seems like we have to sign Cube (or another FA like that) for a small 1yr contract to get these younger guys worked in and figured out. But I could see Poile waiting late (like he did this past year) and seeing if he thinks Blum is ready, and perhaps Laakso as 7th.

Sulzer will be on the team - you know it had to bout kill Poile to pay Jed's NHL contract at Milw. 2yrs ago - can't see him doing that again with Sulzer.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
I was thinking Sulzer would be the seventh guy regardless. I also have a feeling that Grebeshkov will be retained. Poile didn't give up a second round pick for six games of a a very talented offensive defender.

That gives us:

Weber-Suter
Grebeshkov-?
Franson-Klein (unless Klein plays lights-out in camp)
Sulzer

So we need someone who can play with Grebeshkov or Franson. That guy could very well be Blum, with Josi starting the year in Milwaukee to get used to the speed and physicality of the game on smaller ice. I doubt it's the other way around, though, because putting two offensive defenders together is a recipe for disaster.

I just can't see Poile putting Sulzer through waivers to pay him $650k in the minors again, even if he gets outplayed in camp.
I've not seen nor heard anything to convince me that Nashville will have the payroll room to re-sign Grebeshkov and Franson in addition to Hornqvist and a backup tender (likely from within).

Now, if the internal budget increases and/or Poile trades one or more players to make room- that's a different story if that's an assumption on which you're working.

Last edited by David Singleton: 06-01-2010 at 12:37 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The cap is rumored to be going up 2 or so million...as will the floor. Hamhuis and Ellis's combined 4 million will also be coming off the books, most likely. That's 6 million dollars. Subtract the 2.9 pekka will be making, that's about 3 million left for Hornqvist and Franson(i'm thinking combined that might be about what they get...2 million for two years for Hornqvist, 1 million or so for Franson, maybe a bit less)

I think if Bouillon is not kept, and Grebs takes his QO(a bit over 3 million) I could see him being kept, especially considering we're supposedly TRYING to re-sign Hamhuis, and I think that's about the number we'd be willing to pay. If Hammer is gone, i think Grebs stays. I know we're cheap, but I can't imagine cheap enough to go into next season with a lineup of

Suter Weber
Franson Klein
Sulzer Josi\Blum

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sulzer isn't good enough, if he was Franson would not have made it over him. Blum is also better and will pass Sulzer too. I also think Klein better step it up more or he'll be on the way out. He's has showed enough to stay in the NHL but is that enough to keep the younger more talented players down? I don't think so.

I think Blum is just too talented. He did his time in Milwaukee, he'll pass Sulzer with no problem.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:07 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The cap is rumored to be going up 2 or so million...as will the floor. Hamhuis and Ellis's combined 4 million will also be coming off the books, most likely. That's 6 million dollars. Subtract the 2.9 pekka will be making, that's about 3 million left for Hornqvist and Franson(i'm thinking combined that might be about what they get...2 million for two years for Hornqvist, 1 million or so for Franson, maybe a bit less)

I think if Bouillon is not kept, and Grebs takes his QO(a bit over 3 million) I could see him being kept, especially considering we're supposedly TRYING to re-sign Hamhuis, and I think that's about the number we'd be willing to pay. If Hammer is gone, i think Grebs stays. I know we're cheap, but I can't imagine cheap enough to go into next season with a lineup of

Suter Weber
Franson Klein
Sulzer Josi\Blum
Ok, from the first section I bolded, you calculated $6 million which you then fully distributed to Rinne, Hornqvist and Franson.

Where's the additional $3 million coming from to sign Grebeshkov? Is that just an increase of the internal budget (which does not have to increase to stay above the cap floor)? After signing other necessary roster spots, where does that put Nashville in relation to the midpoint (which has now admittedly been raised an additional $2 million)?

I honestly don't know what I expect Poile to do this offseason. I fear what will happen if this team "easily" misses the playoffs. I fear that Poile might go into the season with 3 new faces on the blueline- and what I believe that will bring (the latter).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Ok, from the first section I bolded, you calculated $6 million which you then fully distributed to Rinne, Hornqvist and Franson.

Where's the additional $3 million coming from to sign Grebeshkov? Is that just an increase of the internal budget (which does not have to increase to stay above the cap floor)? After signing other necessary roster spots, where does that put Nashville in relation to the midpoint (which has now admittedly been raised an additional $2 million)?

I honestly don't know what I expect Poile to do this offseason. I fear what will happen if this team "easily" misses the playoffs. I fear that Poile might go into the season with 3 new faces on the blueline- and what I believe that will bring (the latter).

Because of the 2 million increase in cap space rev sharing will go up. I expect Grebs to be traded for picks and Bouillon to be re-signed.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Zorkan

Josi has been as dominant as Mark Streit was in his last year in Switzerland... at a much lower age.

The only risk I see with Josi is withstanding the physical grind of NA play and that is the main why he should be starting in the AHL.

Other than this risk, Josi's potential upside is incredible.

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Because of the 2 million increase in cap space rev sharing will go up. I expect Grebs to be traded for picks and Bouillon to be re-signed.
I hope you're wrong...

Old
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
I hope you're wrong...
I say this because I can't see Nashville affording Grebs unless they can more one or more layers with NTCs.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkan View Post
Josi has been as dominant as Mark Streit was in his last year in Switzerland... at a much lower age.

The only risk I see with Josi is withstanding the physical grind of NA play and that is the main why he should be starting in the AHL.

Yeah I agree. I've never seen a player this young dominate the way he did last season. He was even better than most of the defense imports in the league. Heck, I'd even say he was top 3 in dmen last season in the entire swiss league.

Like you said, I could see him starting in Milwaukee cuz of the physical aspect or even because there aren't enough spots on the team.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I say this because I can't see Nashville affording Grebs unless they can more one or more layers with NTCs.
I don't think Trotz is a big fan of the cube though, looking at how he protected him in the line-up, I think Trotz likes more verstility.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkan View Post

I almost agree.

While production wise they were quite even, you always had the feeling in Streits last Season, that he knew every second, what he was doing. Beside R. von Arx not one swiss player on this level came close to him game intelligence wise. He was just ready for the next step. and nevertheless had a tough time at the beginning ( I know he wasn't young anymore, late draftpick etc.)

Josi on the other side, I suppose, still relies much more on his instincs, which are through the roof tbh and will eventually lead to a very high hockey IQ, once he matured. And while he does indeed a lot of stuff on Streit's Level, he still tends to put him self into vulnerable positions once in a while, cause he still improvises a lot.

E.g. he was caught head down fast skating through the middle zone by Shawn Heins, and grabbed quite a concussion.

Or at the WHCs he was caught off balance while trying to strip the puck of a canadian forward's blade in the def. Zone and almost got "sprungered" (was it downie?), but recovered quickly and finally stealed the puck!

so I wouldn't rush him. but I agree, if he keeps his developpement rate as high as the last 2 years, it won't take him too long to grab a spot.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote