Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

SEL gold mine?

Old
06-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
SEL gold mine?

Damn the SEL is really a gold mine. In few days, several of the best swedish players in SEL have been signed by NHL teams.

Josefsson and Tedenby signed by the Devils,
Rodin & Andersson signed by the Nucks,
Engvist signed by the Habs,
Paajarvi-Svnesson signed by the Oilers,
Markstrom signed by the Panthers,
Holos signed with the Avs,
Johansson signed by the Capitals....

Do you think another players will leave SEL any time soon to play in north america?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Tomas W

I hope not! The SEL is getting drained! (Of course though there are players returning from abroad as well)

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Rundblad/Erixon from SAIK are both like 50/50 on staying or going it seems and I SO hope they stay!! If they sign with their nhl clubs I hope they let them play in sel atleast another year.

The nhl clubs are draining us for all we got right now it seems.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
cosmicnavigator

Think these are all the swedish players that have been signed to date.

MSP
Josefsson
Tedenby
Johansson
Klingberg
Rödin
Ullström
Engqvist
J Andersson
Omark
Harju
Klasen
OEL
P Andersson
Markström
Lindäck
Läck
Wesslau
Modig
Karlsson (was signed last year but played for Färjestad)

cosmicnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
cheerupmurray

I think a couple of more prospects will be signed but continue playing in SEL one year (Like Rödin and Klingberg). Tim Erixon, André Pettersson and Anton Lander might get a deal like that.
Theres been talk about Islanders wanting to sign Anders Nilsson and a couple of rumours about Fredrik Pettersson getting a NHL-contract.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
joe89

A couple will take NHL roster spots, a few will play AHL hockey and a few will remain in SEL.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:38 AM
KCrushers

Cause.. It's the SEL's goal... Providing NHL with players that in some cases never even played a full season of senior hockey..

KCrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:15 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
http://hockey.norran.se/?p=21529 (swe)
Well, Erixon is staying on for another year. Fantastic news (for me and SAIK fans) I hope Rundblad does the same, but he's over in St. Louis right now staying at Mcinnis's house. They seem to want to get him over this year.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Robert604strom

I think it is a good thing cause it gives the younger players a chance in the sel.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Snauen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert604strom View Post
I think it is a good thing cause it gives the younger players a chance in the sel.
That is bull, it's the talented younger players who are leaving now. The league is getting drained. I expect to see a larger bunch of mediocre Danes and Norwegians as fill'ins on every team this season, as teams will be having trouble finding suitable players

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:55 AM
PuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
That is bull, it's the talented younger players who are leaving now. The league is getting drained. I expect to see a larger bunch of mediocre Danes and Norwegians as fill'ins on every team this season, as teams will be having trouble finding suitable players
Exactly. Nothing good is coming out of this for SEL.

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
That is bull, it's the talented younger players who are leaving now. The league is getting drained.
Considering that players like Daniel Larsson and Junland comes back from North America, I don't think the league will get drained too much.

Sure, the best prospects who dream of playing in the best league in the world will leave, but there's a bunch of young players as well as returning players that are ready to take their place.

This might drain the lower leagues where the younger players have developed earlier, but this trend having a discernible effect on the SEL?

Personally, I don't see it happening.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:21 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert604strom View Post
SEL teams don't like to see youngsters with ice time. It's easier to put in a foreigner.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
SEL teams don't like to see youngsters with ice time. It's easier to put in a foreigner.
That's because they still don't get to keep their youngsters. Look at Djurgården, giving guys like Krüger and Josefson a chance. They play two seasons of SEL hockey, then they're gone. You're better off trying to find a nice import player, who can stay longer.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Komarov47

I think the good point about all of this, is that Sweden can produce an amount of skilled players pretty incredible. I think right now Sweden is way better than Finland or Russia in Europe. Even if you're drained by NHL, you will still be able to produce new kid who will be terrific !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
no.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
That's because they still don't get to keep their youngsters. Look at Djurgården, giving guys like Krüger and Josefson a chance. They play two seasons of SEL hockey, then they're gone. You're better off trying to find a nice import player, who can stay longer.
On the other hand guys like Krüger, Josefson etc. are dirt cheap compared to let's say Zigomanis.

Also, there's really no difference between young swedes that leave for the NHL and other players leaving. If a player is good enough, chances are he'll be on the first flight over the pond regardless of age or nationality. Look at Holös, MZA, Klubertranz or all the players leaving for the KHL for that matter. As long as Elitserien is (arguably) the third best league in the world, players will want to play where they're able to either make the most money or where the competition is the best.

It also makes sense for the "less talented" young players to take the chance via the AHL. I'm thinking about guys like Ullström who has players like Luoma, Puistola etc. ahead of him, Klingberg, J. Andersson etc. For these players this might be their only shot at the NHL. Furthermore, for the more elite players it's just their time to go abroad, I reckon guys like MPS and Markström really don't have all that much more to prove at home and for them it's just the next logical step to take in their careers.

I really don't think there's a lot the clubs should do about this apart from staying on good terms with the departing players and thereby making their own teams the primary option for when it's time for them to return back home.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
DowJones

I really dont like this development. 25 years ago only a very, very few players left, and that was mostly after several years of success in the SEL. kinda sucks imo

DowJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowJones View Post
I really dont like this development. 25 years ago only a very, very few players left, and that was mostly after several years of success in the SEL. kinda sucks imo
I don't get why it's not in the NHL's interest to put limits on how many european players can be there since the NHL fans anyway will say that no one outside the NHL can be one of the best players.

That kinda takes away the best argument the no-side would have.

"Then we won't have the best players".

With the KHL rising there have been quite some ramblings about how being in the NHL automatically makes you either a better person or a better player.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:27 PM
yanokovich

Andreas Lilja,Michael Nylander,Anders Ericksson,Fabian Brunnstrom,Niclas Wallin,Kim Johnsson,Fredrick Modin.They all return to Sweden.

yanokovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:44 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanokovich View Post
Andreas Lilja,Michael Nylander,Anders Ericksson,Fabian Brunnstrom,Niclas Wallin,Kim Johnsson,Fredrick Modin.They all return to Sweden.
Short of Brunnström, those are all more or less washed up and at the end of their careers. Good if we can get players to come back(those players are not yet signed afaik tho) but overall not a great trade-off.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:57 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Short of Brunnström, those are all more or less washed up and at the end of their careers. Good if we can get players to come back(those players are not yet signed afaik tho) but overall not a great trade-off.
Aside for Modin's injury problems I don't think he has ever been as good of a player that he is now.

I never thought he would actually become such a smart player defensively. He is getting more and more complete for each year. He doesn't score as much but he sure is making himself more useful.

Old
06-09-2010, 07:49 AM
no.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Well of course not. But as long as the SEL is the third league in terms of quality and money and doesn't have that much to offer apart from the social aspect, what do you expect?

Besides, those players returning may be old, but they're still pretty darn good. Probably better than most of the players leaving. Lilja, Wallin, Johnsson will all probably make more of an impact than Ullström, OEL and Rundblad would have this next season, or in the same vicinity. Although Rundblad and OEL has a heck much higher potential than those three I doubt that they'll fulfil their potential next season. Same goes for Brunnström, Modin, Nylander (well, maybe not so much, still a pretty good player though) and Bremberg compared to most of the forwards on the list of NHL-bound players.

On the other hand it's much more fun watching the talented young players than old geezers who seem to have been around forever.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
PuckOut

Quote:
Oh, since when?

Don't want any of them at DIF though...

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
yanokovich

Oh, since wheh

Since Nobody wants them,inthe NHL

yanokovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Garl

Quote:
Oh, since wheh

Since Nobody wants them,inthe NHL
Johnsson can easily find a job in NHL, he is not that old(34 y.o.) and he is still OK TOP-4 defenseman.
Brunnstrom can probably land a deal aswell.

Nylander is already in Europe.
Eriksson and Wallin, yes most likely to SEL. Lilja? I'm not sure, he's a useful player for Red Wings.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote