HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues start talking to Mason about a contract extension

Old
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Cheli

vCash: 500
Blues start talking to Mason about a contract extension

From JR: http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzon...ns-with-mason/

Quote:
Mason, who turned 34 in April, will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, but he says he’s hopeful to work out a deal with the Blues before then.

“Yeah, we kind of opened up dialogue,” Mason said. ”It’s the first step in the whole process. Hopefully we can continue. You always wonder what the organization’s plans are moving forward. I hope to be a part of them. Definitely, my first preference is to be back in St. Louis. I feel that I’ve developed a relationship with the team and the organization. We have a mutual respect for each other.”
Blues officials had expressed a desire to re-sign Mason after the season, but that was nearly two months ago. The delay wasn’t a reflection of the team choosing to go in a different direction. Rather, the Blues’ offseason to-do list is a bit behind schedule as the club transitions from general manager Larry Pleau to Doug Armstrong.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

I'm starting to get the feeling that we're not entering free agency at all this year....

This is a year where the Blues need to rebuild in weak areas. Goal and elite offense being two areas. And I have a feeling they're going to improve in neither, and pretty much ice the same line-up after a disappointing season.

That's a big gamble.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:40 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I'm excited about this.

Because goal is not a weak area. Chris Mason is not elite, but he's better than average and he's better than either of the starting goalies in the finals. The only question is how long he will remain at this level and when Allen (or Bishop) will be ready, or when the Blues will need to seek out an alternative. If they re-sign Mason for a couple years, that buys them time to evaluate until the team, as a whole, is ready to take the next step.

Elite offense is great, but if you notice, the only elite offensive players on either team in the finals who were not drafted by the teams are Hossa and Pronger. And it's arguable in Hossa's case in the past few seasons.

Even if the Blues get that elite punch via free agency and trade, they're going to have to wait for the rest of the team to mature before they can compete. And more elite guys are set to become available just one year from now. Offensively: Brad Richards, Chara, Markov, Thornton, St. Louis, and Kaberle. Arguably Gagne, Pitkanen, and Ehrhoff. Vokoun is at least one elite goaltender. Some of those guys won't get to free agency, but my guess is that enough will that it'll be a better market than basically Kovalchuk, Marleau, and Gonchar - a couple of which come with distinct risks.

Maybe most of those guys will sign and it won't actually be a better market. But I think it's shortsighted to think of this offseason as THE offseason to address needs, all before the team, as a whole, has matured.

Was it only disappointing because they didn't make the playoffs? Because they were the best team in the league who didn't make it and we saw a dramatic shift in the team's attitude and success under Payne. Even on a slump year offensively, especially on the powerplay, the Blues were about as good as they were the previous season. Youngsters don't usually develop in a perfectly linear fashion. That's why the term "breakout" is so ubiquitous.

Temper your expectations.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
stlweir

The Blues don't need to be an elite offensive team. At this point, middle of the pack makes them a solid playoff team. Playoff success often depends on hot goaltending but more often having a healthy team.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
ibleedblue8

Trading for a young goalie may actually be a downgrade in goal. Mason is a solid, but not spectacular goalie. I would be more than happy to have him back for a couple years to see what happens with Bishop and Allen in Peoria. People seem to forget back in 09 Mason was the big reason we got into the playoffs. Without him we would have been looking at a top 10 pick.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:48 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
Without him we would have been looking at a top 10 pick.
Are we better off with that disappointing playoff experience or would we have been better off with the draft pick?

I don't like this at all. This is a clear sign of this administration's intent to not get any better for the upcoming season. Instead of going after someone who we might get a few years out of and will lead us to wins, we're going to continue stocking our club with guys who otherwise would be 3rd and 4th liners -- and backups -- on other teams.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Are we better off with that disappointing playoff experience or would we have been better off with the draft pick?

I don't like this at all. This is a clear sign of this administration's intent to not get any better for the upcoming season. Instead of going after someone who we might get a few years out of and will lead us to wins, we're going to continue stocking our club with guys who otherwise would be 3rd and 4th liners -- and backups -- on other teams.
You don't consider the growth of the majority of the team and basically all of the team's core to hold a great potential for improvement? Let's pretend for a second that the Blues could lure any free agent for market price. Please look at their contracts, especially the RFA's they badly need to sign to deals that don't displease the players, and tell me who you'd sign, for how much, and why.

The Blues are not ready to contend for the Cup. They're working on growing a young team, developing depth, and getting that core to the next level, which is consistently making the playoffs. If they need to spend to the cap in order to do that, that's a huge sign that the core hasn't matured yet. It can be frustrating to wait, but that's what you must do.
Look at Chicago and Philly. They each have some impact players in their early 20's, but most of their horses are 25 and older. If you signed a goaltender or an elite scorer to a fat contract right now, what's the situation in a few years when the rest of the team has solidified and is ready to contend? Is that guy elite anymore? Is his contract now an albatross of impatience? Or has his contract expired before you really needed it?

I'm not saying don't make moves. I'm just saying have a broader and longer view. Make the moves that suit what you're trying to do now. In the future, when it's time to contend, you acquire the missing pieces for expendable parts. And what the Blues are doing now is not that, it's developing. Ditching an above average goalie who has been the best player on the team for two consecutive years doesn't make sense unless you have a clear improvement.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:39 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:

Step away from the ledge. The Blues are on track.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:57 AM
oPlaiD

In this day and age, where the butterfly goaltender and goalie positioning and size rule the net, most NHL goalies perform at a pretty equal level. There are five guys or so who are on another level, and maybe five or ten who are below the main bulk of the pack. Any given year, a guy like Mason could post an above average or a bit below average SV% and everything, but overall he's going to be solid.

Carey Price or Cory Schneider probably have less of a chance of being at that decent level Mason is at next season then Mason does himself. It takes a lot of experience to get your positioning down to the level you need to be good in the NHL.

Mason is fine and it will be very hard to find an actual upgrade over his solid play. The only guy available who fits the bill is probably Tomas Vokoun, and it'd take a decent trade package to pry him away. He also commands about 2x as much salary as Mason will. Barring that, Mason is probably a solid bet.

Granted, it's true that Carey Price or Cory Schneider could reach the elite level, but it's a huge risk for a team most of you seem to think should contend. If we trade any assets for them and they don't work out, we lose a season to bad goaltending as well as assets when we already have a guy like Jake Allen who is young and can probably fit the goaltender-of-the-future bill if we give him some time.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:03 AM
ibleedblue8

Quote:

So you would rather have a top ten pick then making the playoffs? Guys like Berglund and Boyes will bounce back. Perron and Johnson will continue to get better. The reason for bringing back Mason is are young goalies are not ready yet. I am not willing to mortgage the future of the organization for one good year. We have the assets to trade for some good players, but why do that when in a few that will put us in the same shape we were in after the lockout. The Blues are on the right track. In 08-09 we overachieved big time. I think Blues fans, myself included had too high of expectations for last year because of 08-09.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:34 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:

So, you would rather the Blues get a top 10 pick instead of make the playoffs (since for some reason according to you, gaining playoff experience would somehow be a negative thing) yet you are also mad that, according to you, the Blues intend to not get any better because they're interested in bringing Mason back. So...it seems that you want the Blues to either improve so much that they're serious contenders to win the Cup, or you want them to suck so bad that they get a top draft pick. Building a winning team doesn't work that way though. It's a process. The Blues have been and will continue to go through some growing pains. Once the youth core they have matures a little bit more, gains some more experience and is suplemented by a nice group of vets, this team could go somewhere good. It's a fairly long road to success though and there will be bumps along the way.

Also, just because the Blues are interested in bringing Mason back does not signal that the Blues don't want to get any better this season. IMO, Mason is an average goalie. Ideally, I'd like the Blues to have an elite goalie but so do the other 29 teams. Acquiring one isn't exactly easy. Are Price or Schneider elite? Heck no. Perhaps one or both might be someday and perhaps in the longrun, perhaps one or both will be better than Mason but for next season, I'd definitely take Mason or either of those kids. For the Blues to improve, their youth core as a whole is going to have to improve (which should be expected given natural development curves and the ages of EJ, Osh, Bergy, Perron, etc are) and it would be nice if they supplemented the youth with some more quality vets - either through free agency or trade. Not Kovy or Marleau, but someone a tier or so below that so that the Blues can have a balance 3 line attack. Anyway, just because the Blues are looking to bring Mason back, that's not a sign that mgmt isn't interested in improving. There simply aren't many if any better options than Mase out there AND they can improve the team in other ways besides goaltending.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
BluesBrother

Mason can also get much better than average goalie.. he has many years left, and we have seen him playing like a elite goalie so many times.. people think he will be the same or worse next year, but I'd like to see him develop in our organisation ( for the right money of course)... max. 3,5 mil cap for 2-3 years, and I can forget Price, schneider, harding etc... I'm not really a big fan of him, but still, taking a risk with some young goalie is not worth it IMO

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Prussian_Blue

Not sure why so many people seem to think that Tomas Vokoun is an "elite" goaltender. He's no better than Mason, in my view, yet somehow managed to parlay this perception of his "elite" status into a contract that, again in my view, is flat ridiculous.

If there's a better option than Chris Mason out there, I'm all for it... but I don't think Tomas Vokoun is it. I'd honestly rather spend big money on Josh Harding than Vokoun, if the Blues were inclined to go in that direction... which does not appear to be the case.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Not sure why so many people seem to think that Tomas Vokoun is an "elite" goaltender. He's no better than Mason, in my view, yet somehow managed to parlay this perception of his "elite" status into a contract that, again in my view, is flat ridiculous.

If there's a better option than Chris Mason out there, I'm all for it... but I don't think Tomas Vokoun is it. I'd honestly rather spend big money on Josh Harding than Vokoun, if the Blues were inclined to go in that direction... which does not appear to be the case.
Can't believe it, but I do agree with you on this one. Harding is the target the Blues should be looking at. Run Conklin in the 1st 1/3 or 1/2 of the season, to allow Harding to fully recover from his hip injury. Pretty sure it was a hip surgery. And yes Harding is better than both Conklin and Mason put together. Mason/Conklin are probably the best back-ups in the league, just too bad Mason thinks he is a #1 goaltender.

You guys do realize that Mason is in his mid-30s. This contract that he will sign next will be his last, so he is going to shoot for the moon on it. And for everyone who thinks that he will sign for less than 4 mil per is crazy. He turned that price down already once. Start thinking about the 4-5 mil price range.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
Can't believe it, but I do agree with you on this one. Harding is the target the Blues should be looking at. Run Conklin in the 1st 1/3 or 1/2 of the season, to allow Harding to fully recover from his hip injury. Pretty sure it was a hip surgery. And yes Harding is better than both Conklin and Mason put together. Mason/Conklin are probably the best back-ups in the league, just too bad Mason thinks he is a #1 goaltender.

You guys do realize that Mason is in his mid-30s. This contract that he will sign next will be his last, so he is going to shoot for the moon on it. And for everyone who thinks that he will sign for less than 4 mil per is crazy. He turned that price down already once. Start thinking about the 4-5 mil price range.
That attitude landed Biron in an Islanders jersey for next to nothing.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:48 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
having watched vokoun and mason both for years with the preds I would say that vokoun is "elite" and Mason is "solid"

Vokoun, with a good team in front of him, is probably more consistent and mason is probably not as good as vokoun when both play their best but either one of them can get a decent team to the playoffs.

What it comes down to is cost, and expectations.

to me, Vokoun is not worth 2-3 mil more a year than mason.

for the same price, give me vokoun.. but if I can either have vokoun alone, or Mason plus 2 million to spend on a 2nd pair d-man or a forward, then mason is probably the way to go.

Also, if you think you are a team that can go deep in the playoffs, vokoun is probably who you want, but if you think realistically just making the playoffs next year is as good as its gonna get, you can probably get there with Mason.

I think the goalie demand isnt as strong as it might seem and leighton has played his way into the UFA goalie mix, jumping to the head of the pack.

I suspect you can get Mase at 2 years for 3 to 3.5 and you'd be wise to do it since it wont cost you picks or prospects to do it.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
That post sums up my thoughts on Mason vs Vokoun as well.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
Mason can ask for whatever he wants but that doesn't mean he's going to get it. He turned down $3.9M for 2 years (I'm pretty sure that's the exact numbers and term but if someone else knows for sure, go ahead and correct me) but that was a year ago...right after he carried the Blues on his back into the playoffs. Due in large part to him, the team went from 15th in the West halfway through the season to 6th and in the playoffs. He and his agent probably thought that he could get more if he waited a year so he turned it down. After an ok year, I don't think his value has gone up much, if at all. I'd say he's pretty much worth what the Blues offered him a year ago - $3.9M...and since his stock really didn't rise, he's probably more likely to take that contract now. Perhaps he gets signed for more than $4M but I just don't see it...if he gets more than $4M, then it better not be for very much over $4M.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
If I were Mason, I'd be pushing for a 3 year (or more) term, and less worried about the dollars (anything equal or more to last salary). If I were the Blues I'd offer him ballpark of 3.5M but only a 2 year deal.

I think Mason would eventually take that offer (maybe they go closer to 4M). If he turned down 3.9M for 2 years, I think that' about exactly what he should expect to end up with now. Its a fair offer to him, without overcommitting, timewise.

I don't think the Blues undervalue the guy. I think some things changed in the latter half last year and Mason became more comfortable asserting himself as a team leader. I'd be disappointed to lose that. I think the Blues are poised to have a nice bounce-back season, but my biggest concern is actually mature leadership (can't put it all on Backes....who is still largely inexperienced).

A two year term works well for flexibility with bringing up Bishop/Allen eventually.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:45 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

Me neither P_B. He's decent, but not elite. We've already seen Vokoun's upside and it is decent, but not spectacular or elite. Harding is another of those younger goalies out there who intrigue me. At 25 y/o he is just starting to reach his potential. Very intriguing indeed.

Overall in The NHL there are several very good young goalies who may not get their shot for quite a while because there are already so many veterans/incumbents in place. New Jersey is due for a big change soon, but besides Brodeur I cannot think of any other goaltenders currently starting for their team who are older than 36. Goaltending has never been better in the history of The NHL, imnsho.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I'm excited about this.

Because goal is not a weak area. Chris Mason is not elite, but he's better than average and he's better than either of the starting goalies in the finals. The only question is how long he will remain at this level and when Allen (or Bishop) will be ready, or when the Blues will need to seek out an alternative. If they re-sign Mason for a couple years, that buys them time to evaluate until the team, as a whole, is ready to take the next step.

Elite offense is great, but if you notice, the only elite offensive players on either team in the finals who were not drafted by the teams are Hossa and Pronger. And it's arguable in Hossa's case in the past few seasons.

Even if the Blues get that elite punch via free agency and trade, they're going to have to wait for the rest of the team to mature before they can compete. And more elite guys are set to become available just one year from now. Offensively: Brad Richards, Chara, Markov, Thornton, St. Louis, and Kaberle. Arguably Gagne, Pitkanen, and Ehrhoff. Vokoun is at least one elite goaltender. Some of those guys won't get to free agency, but my guess is that enough will that it'll be a better market than basically Kovalchuk, Marleau, and Gonchar - a couple of which come with distinct risks.

Maybe most of those guys will sign and it won't actually be a better market. But I think it's shortsighted to think of this offseason as THE offseason to address needs, all before the team, as a whole, has matured.

Was it only disappointing because they didn't make the playoffs? Because they were the best team in the league who didn't make it and we saw a dramatic shift in the team's attitude and success under Payne. Even on a slump year offensively, especially on the powerplay, the Blues were about as good as they were the previous season. Youngsters don't usually develop in a perfectly linear fashion. That's why the term "breakout" is so ubiquitous.

Temper your expectations.
Well said...they just need to wait a little longer before they dive into the FA market.

The Blues young guys are still very green and still need to mature.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Blues0307

I was hoping the Blues wouldn't resign Mason this offseason, as he's avg and I was hoping the Blues would take a risk on a young goalie, but seeing as the Blues are having financial problems, I figured they would take the least risky route. I understand that the deal may be a 3 year deal, which would be disappointing. The one complaint I've had with this front office is that they resign vets to bad contracts and if he gets 3 years ~$10mm, I'll hold the same opinion of this resigning as well.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
If I were Mason, I'd be pushing for a 3 year (or more) term, and less worried about the dollars (anything equal or more to last salary). If I were the Blues I'd offer him ballpark of 3.5M but only a 2 year deal.

I think Mason would eventually take that offer (maybe they go closer to 4M). If he turned down 3.9M for 2 years, I think that' about exactly what he should expect to end up with now. Its a fair offer to him, without overcommitting, timewise.

I don't think the Blues undervalue the guy. I think some things changed in the latter half last year and Mason became more comfortable asserting himself as a team leader. I'd be disappointed to lose that. I think the Blues are poised to have a nice bounce-back season, but my biggest concern is actually mature leadership (can't put it all on Backes....who is still largely inexperienced).

A two year term works well for flexibility with bringing up Bishop/Allen eventually.
I think the bottom line is the Blues would like to have him back, but there are a lot of viable options out there so they arent going to bend over backwards for him. Armstrong might want to put his stamp on this team in his first offseason in charge, and could bring in his guy in Turco or go after a young goalie to make his own. Nabakov and Ellis are other guys who could be brought in if Mason is too expensive.

So between the vets (Turco, Nabby, and Ellis) or young guys available via trade (Price/Halak, Schneider, Harding, Bernier, etc.), I could see the Blues playing hardball with Mason.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:55 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle and Flow View Post
I think the bottom line is the Blues would like to have him back, but there are a lot of viable options out there so they arent going to bend over backwards for him. Armstrong might want to put his stamp on this team in his first offseason in charge, and could bring in his guy in Turco or go after a young goalie to make his own. Nabakov and Ellis are other guys who could be brought in if Mason is too expensive.

So between the vets (Turco, Nabby, and Ellis) or young guys available via trade (Price/Halak, Schneider, Harding, Bernier, etc.), I could see the Blues playing hardball with Mason.
I think you are absolutely right. I think the only reason negotiations were restarted with Mason is that the team wanted to show some loyalty. I certainly don't expect them to resign him if his numbers are more than what they need. It is a bad time to be a free agent goaltender in the NHL. There are so many serviceable options that it will be hard to get a big payday. That is something that I'm certain both sides are taking into account during these negotiations.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle and Flow View Post

Really? Turco and Nabokov might sign for twice what Mason does, or at least significantly more ... they're all approximately the same age, and Turco and Nabokov are already making in the $5-6m range when we suspect Mason will sign for $3-4. I feel as though Ellis would be a downgrade and not significantly cheaper than Mason, though I admittedly don't watch him play much.

I'm fairly sure that Price/Halak/Bernier would cost the Blues more than they're willing to give up, when they'd be happy with a Mason-Conklin tandem for another year or two. Harding would be a good pickup depending on the price. Schneider is very unproven at the NHL level and I wouldn't want to go with a Conklin-Schneider tandem. I see Conklin as more of a backup who can go on hot streaks and make your starting goaltender feel like he should be worried. Probably not quite at the 1B level.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote