HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Forget Kovy and his boatload of cash. We will see Marleau get a Hossa-like deal before that ever happens IMHO, and I would be fine with that. Look at it this way, you would finally have a use for that O'Sullivan jersey. Just change the name plate.

Sorry, but losing Cammalleri, O'Sullivan, and Frolov was not the end of the world. All three are immensely easy to replace.
If DL was willing to give Hossa something like 14 years, I see no reason why he shouldnt give something similar or better to Kovy, who is a better offensive forward than Hossa. I will survive if we get Marleau instead of Kovy, as I understand the benefits of having a player who can also play as a center as well.

But getting no one of that caliber means that for all his comments about going UFA to fill the hole at scoring forward, DL's just talking to tell us what he thinks we want to hear. (What do you call someone who does that . . . ? Hmmm)
What else could he mean when he says we will utilize UFA to address the lack of depth at scoring forward. Striking out in this years UFA market will be a significant STEP BACK for this team...

re O'sullivan jersey comment

And your right, replacing those three should have been easy, but their goal production hasnt been replaced yet, and without Plan K or Plan B it wont be this year either.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:57 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You won't find one on this board.
You meant YOU won't find one on this board.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
No, I had it right the first time, but thank you.

Two birds with one stone would apply here.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I didn't see all the great quality chances that the Kings just couldn't finish. A game breaker doesn't help you get out of your own zone if you can't put a pass on his tape, and the only guy we have that consistently does that now is Doughty. Johnson is still a work in progress in that area and looks promising.

What I saw mostly this season was a defense that either always made the safe play off the glass or boards (think Scuderi, Greene, and OD some of the time), or handled the puck in their own zone like it was a hand grenade on the end of their stick (think Jones, OD some of the time, and Drewiske a lot of the time).
You didn't see all the slot shots go high or wide? You didn't see all the near empty nets flubbed? I refuse to believe that you didn't see the endless forehecks with no one willing to cut to the net or capable of finding soft spots in the coverage.

Who on this team, other than Kopi, can pick a corner with any regularity? Not;Brown, not Smyth, not Williams or Simmons's.

You may not think we need Livy, but I think there is absolutely no question that we need a finisher.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
Organizing a pre-emptive strike on the Lombardistas, I see.
Quote:
Guilty as charged. I may need a good lawyer to get a plea bargain
Quote:
Quote:
No, I had it right the first time, but thank you.

Two birds with one stone would apply here.
Not breaking my arm to pat myself on my back, but I couldn't resist.

I actually have an original of this poster signed by Pacino for me.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 07-17-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
You didn't see all the slot shots go high or wide? You didn't see all the near empty nets flubbed? I refuse to believe that you didn't see the endless forehecks with no one willing to cut to the net or capable of finding soft spots in the coverage.

Who on this team, other than Kopi, can pick a corner with any regularity? Not;Brown, not Smyth, not Williams or Simmons's.

You may not think we need Livy, but I think there is absolutely no question that we need a finisher.
I'm with you Jacob. Like I said, I'll be ok with Marleau, but striking out on both will piss me off. The money is there, the team needs a sniper/scorer, and ones this good might not be available for awhile.

Enough excuses about why not. Results count, not excuses. They just pile up

Old
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
I'm with you Jacob. Like I said, I'll be ok with Marleau, but striking out on both will piss me off. The money is there, the team needs a sniper/scorer, and ones this good might not be available for awhile.

Enough excuses about why not. Results count, not excuses. They just pile up
No worries mate. If we strike out on both Kovy/Marleau, DL will make trades to improve our team.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
here's your UFA list of forwards:

Patrick Marleau,
Tomas Plekanec
Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavol Demitra
Adam Burish
Ray Whitney
Matt Cullen
Alexander Frolov
Bill Guerin
John Madden
Teemu Selanne
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Matthew Lombardi
Paul Kariya
Olli Jokinen
Saku Koivu
Lee Stempniak
Colby Armstrong
Craig Conroy
Andy Sutton
(I may have missed a few)

Old
06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I didn't see all the great quality chances that the Kings just couldn't finish. A game breaker doesn't help you get out of your own zone if you can't put a pass on his tape, and the only guy we have that consistently does that now is Doughty. Johnson is still a work in progress in that area and looks promising.
Wow, I usually respect your strong arguments for your case, but that statement is completely wrong. There were a lot of games that the Kings dominated the scoring chances and couldn't score more than 2 goals. How many times did we talk about the lack of finishing ability in the GDTs?

If the Kings were in their zone so much and had such a weak defense, how did they end up with the third fewest shots against? The Kings had the 4th most giveaways and they were 25th in the league in blocked shots. This tells me that the Kings turned the puck over mostly in the offensive zone, probably because they don't have the player that can consistently put the puck in the net and were over passing the puck.

The Kings had a ton of offensive pressure last year and just didn't have the player that could bury the chances in the slot. How many did Frolov fail on a breakaway? What about all of the chances in the slot for Stoll, Brown and Smyth? Kovalchuk will take that possession time and will put the puck in the net.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Wow, I usually respect your strong arguments for your case, but that statement is completely wrong. There were a lot of games that the Kings dominated the scoring chances and couldn't score more than 2 goals. How many times did we talk about the lack of finishing ability in the GDTs?

If the Kings were in their zone so much and had such a weak defense, how did they end up with the third fewest shots against? The Kings had the 4th most giveaways and they were 25th in the league in blocked shots. This tells me that the Kings turned the puck over mostly in the offensive zone, probably because they don't have the player that can consistently put the puck in the net and were over passing the puck.

The Kings had a ton of offensive pressure last year and just didn't have the player that could bury the chances in the slot. How many did Frolov fail on a breakaway? What about all of the chances in the slot for Stoll, Brown and Smyth? Kovalchuk will take that possession time and will put the puck in the net.
Couldn't agree more. Kovalchuk improves every aspect of our game and that includes our defense because of time of possesion his line will have with the puck in the offensive zone.

On a side note: Imagine our PP!! Doughty, Johnson, Kovalchuk, Kopitar, and Williams

Old
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
No worries mate. If we strike out on both Kovy/Marleau, DL will make trades to improve our team.
Agree, but I want Ilya

Old
06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
Agree, but I want Ilya
Of course we all want Ilya. I'm just going along with him for discussion sake.

Kovy's already a king as far as I'm concerned.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
Couldn't agree more. Kovalchuk improves every aspect of our game and that includes our defense because of time of possesion his line will have with the puck in the offensive zone.

On a side note: Imagine our PP!! Doughty, Johnson, Kovalchuk, Kopitar, and Williams
Smyth > Williams

The Kings would easily have a top 3 PP with that lineup. The PK will be stronger with Bernier in net as well. Manchester was 5th on the PK.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:34 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
We need to draft Kabanov and sign Kovalchuk, then put them on Kopitar's line and call them the KKK line
And you are a mod?
I am still on board for making a trade for St. Louis!
The guy has won a cup, tons of leadership, and has 1 more year left on his contract!

Old
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Not as bad as this headline:

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2010/6...vie-kap-krunch

Old
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I will say that despite our desperate need for a finisher, our back end transition game must get better as well. That Kovy can't fix by ha lonesome. The Kings did not have nearly enough oddman rushes.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
T2M

Lombardi on Sportsnet

Lombardi on the Fan 590 today:

Lombardi interview.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I will say that despite our desperate need for a finisher, our back end transition game must get better as well. That Kovy can't fix by ha lonesome. The Kings did not have nearly enough oddman rushes.
With all the kids coming into the NHL right from Juniors and making an impact, I'm thinkg the OHL defenseman of the year Jake Muzzin might be able to make that jump.

We all saw how PK Subbin played for Montreal. Well, Muzzin has the ability to make that first crisp breakout pass, having been a PPG player last year with 15G and 52A for 67Pts in 64 games. But of course, he's got to ride the bus, so guys like Jones can play.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

The Kings didn't necessarily spend an inordinate amount of time in their own zone 5-on-5 during the regular season, but go back and watch the 5-on-5 play against Vancouver in the playoffs. The Kings spent a ton of time in their own zone.

Also, when they did clear the zone it wasn't with a crisp clean pass. It generally was off the glass or boards out to center, and then right back into the Kings zone. Not enough possession with enough speed coming out of their own zone and through the neutral zone. People were complaining about the dump and chase a lot. What's a forward to do when he can't get a pass on his tape in stride and has to retrieve a puck in the neutral zone or wait for it to get to him. All that forward can do is get over the red line and get it deep.

Kovy will indeed score a lot of goals if the Kings acquire him, but we need to ask ourselves what we give up to get him. If he comes at a reasonable price, great. I think we can get Marleau a lot cheaper and not be handcuffed to him for 10 years. The same can't be said for Kovalchuk.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Of course we all want Ilya. I'm just going along with him for discussion sake.

Kovy's already a king as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately I don't think everyone on this board does

Old
06-08-2010, 11:47 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
The Kings didn't necessarily spend an inordinate amount of time in their own zone 5-on-5 during the regular season, but go back and watch the 5-on-5 play against Vancouver in the playoffs. The Kings spent a ton of time in their own zone.

Also, when they did clear the zone it wasn't with a crisp clean pass. It generally was off the glass or boards out to center, and then right back into the Kings zone. Not enough possession with enough speed coming out of their own zone and through the neutral zone. People were complaining about the dump and chase a lot. What's a forward to do when he can't get a pass on his tape in stride and has to retrieve a puck in the neutral zone or wait for it to get to him. All that forward can do is get over the red line and get it deep.

Kovy will indeed score a lot of goals if the Kings acquire him, but we need to ask ourselves what we give up to get him. If he comes at a reasonable price, great. I think we can get Marleau a lot cheaper and not be handcuffed to him for 10 years. The same can't be said for Kovalchuk.

Thats like saying I don't want to marry that awesome "10" of a woman who I really like for alot oreason and who may just be in love with me because she wont be as hot down the road, particularly when I can marry an older "7" and dump her in just a few years.

And you're married!

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 06-08-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

the dissing of Fukufugi will never stop

Old
06-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
Neither will the misspelling of his name.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:56 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
I am surprised that makes it past the filter.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Here's something for the anti-Kovy crowd:

* Veteran Mathieu Schneider (Woonsocket, R.I.), who played alongside Ilya Kovalchuk in Atlanta, issues a cordial plus/minus to any club interested in signing the Russian.

“Kovy is a terrific team player,” Schneider tells us. “But he plays his own kind of game. When I worked the power play with him, I never knew what he was going to do – pass or shoot.”

This is precisely the challenge Jacques Lemaire was faced with and it is a key reason why the Devils may hesitate giving Ilya ill money.

Closed Thread