HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-08-2010, 01:51 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
A hoax eh?

In any case, for those who question Spezza's contract, he makes 200K more than Kopi and puts up just as good if not better numbers.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
A hoax eh?

In any case, for those who question Spezza's contract, he makes 200K more than Kopi and puts up just as good if not better numbers.
Points be damned, they are far from the same player, for a whole mess of reasons.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Points be damned, they are far from the same player, for a whole mess of reasons.
Agreed, but Spezza would make a good #2 center. He wouldn't have the pressure of being the guy, much like Marleau without the "C" on his chest. Spezza is a good plan C or D, the only problem is that the Senators might want to move him before July 1st. Who knows....

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Agreed, but Spezza would make a good #2 center. He wouldn't have the pressure of being the guy, much like Marleau without the "C" on his chest. Spezza is a good plan C or D, the only problem is that the Senators might want to move him before July 1st. Who knows....
I get what you are saying, but... OK, so Spezza can pass real nice... who is going to bury those pucks?

I don't think he can expect THAT huge a production increase out of Williams/Brown/Smyth with a different center. The problem on the team is not a lack of playmaking ability, in fact we have an abundance of that and a complete lack of finishers. Adding a playmaker, whether its a center or not, doesn't make us a stronger team at burying pucks, or give us that "no question" goal guy. The one who can semi-regularly come down the wing and rip a shot past the goalie, much like how Sharp has been for the Hawks. We need THAT guy. I just want the best of the best in Kovy

Old
06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

DL has said that he wants a 1a and 1b centers on the kings in order to compete. Spezza could be a great 1b but I wouldn't rule out 1a as he's probably a better playmaker than Kopi.

Personally, I would still opt for Thornton for a year or two until Schenn was ready.

Old
06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
DL has said that he wants a 1a and 1b centers on the kings in order to compete. Spezza could be a great 1b but I wouldn't rule out 1a as he's probably a better playmaker than Kopi.

Personally, I would still opt for Thornton for a year or two until Schenn was ready.
When did he say that? I remember him saying center depth is key, but never saying 1a 1b.

By the by, why do you like big, talented SOFT centers?

Old
06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
KingNothing4

I have a question on contract extensions...

If we extend Doughty, Johnson, and Simmonds before the 2011 off-season, does their cap hit go up for the 2010-2011 season (at the moment of their signing), or does the change not occur until the 2011-2012 season (when I guess the new contract actually kicks in)?

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNothing4 View Post
I have a question on contract extensions...

If we extend Doughty, Johnson, and Simmonds before the 2011 off-season, does their cap hit go up for the 2010-2011 season (at the moment of their signing), or does the change not occur until the 2011-2012 season (when I guess the new contract actually kicks in)?
They can sign all of them on July 1st and they will have the same cap hit for next season (2010-11) as they do without a new contract. The cap hit changes the 1st season of their new contract (2011-12).

Old
06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
They can sign all of them on July 1st and they will have the same cap hit for next season (2010-11) as they do without a new contract. The cap hit changes the 1st season of their new contract (2011-12).
Ok thank you, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure.

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
When did he say that? I remember him saying center depth is key, but never saying 1a 1b.

By the by, why do you like big, talented SOFT centers?

Don't remember when he said it but it was quite awhile ago. I'm surprised this is the first time you've heard of it as it's been mentioned fairly often on our board.

As for the soft centers...it isn't that I'm into softies as you already know but Schenn isn't quite ready to carry the load that is required of a 2nd line centerman and Stoll is well, just Stoll-bleh!

Get rid of Stoll, Smyth and JW and we should be ok with the new editions.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Get rid of Stoll, Smyth and JW and we should be ok with the new editions.
Too much turnover from season to season is bad for any team. You shouldn't move players that are already playing a solid role on your team. Letting Frolov walk and signing Kovalchuk is the only major move required this off season.

Filling the middle pairing defense isn't critical for next season (not hard to replace Jones). The #4 spot can be addressed next off season once we know how much Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds are actually going to make. No reason to sign a high priced UFA defenseman when Hickey, Voynov, Muzzin, Teubert, Martinez, Drewiske, Campbell, etc are waiting in the wings.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Too much turnover from season to season is bad for any team. You shouldn't move players that are already playing a solid role on your team. Letting Frolov walk and signing Kovalchuk is the only major move required this off season.

Filling the middle pairing defense isn't critical for next season (not hard to replace Jones). The #4 spot can be addressed next off season once we know how much Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds are actually going to make. No reason to sign a high priced UFA defenseman when Hickey, Voynov, Muzzin, Teubert, Martinez, Drewiske, Campbell, etc are waiting in the wings.
I understand your concern for the changes that I'm suggesting, believe me, I get that team chemistry doesn't develop over night. However, I'm willing to bet that the lineup you're suggesting even with the addition of Kovy and minus Jones won't quite be good as this lineup when everything is said and done:

Kovy-Kopi-Simmonds
Whitney-Thornton-Brown

Yeah, it's only on paper but I can't see too many people arguing that Stoll and Smyth are better option than Whitney and Thornton.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Kovy-Kopi-Simmonds
Whitney-Thornton-Brown

Yeah, it's only on paper but I can't see too many people arguing that Stoll and Smyth are better option than Whitney and Thornton.
That would be awesome for NHL 11, but not real life. I don't see Smyth waiving his NMC either and I don't expect Lombardi to ask.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
That would be awesome for NHL 11, but not real life. I don't see Smyth waiving his NMC either and I don't expect Lombardi to ask.
Well no. The point of the discussion was that you said "no" to too many changes and my point was that although the number of changes are a bit risky, it can be an improvement. That was my point.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
I understand your concern for the changes that I'm suggesting, believe me, I get that team chemistry doesn't develop over night. However, I'm willing to bet that the lineup you're suggesting even with the addition of Kovy and minus Jones won't quite be good as this lineup when everything is said and done:

Kovy-Kopi-Simmonds
Whitney-Thornton-Brown

Dude, I can't take it. I can't take reading your posts. What's with all these 14 year old pipe dream lineups you constantly dream up during the day?

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Heh.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Dude, I can't take it. I can't take reading your posts. What's with all these 14 year old pipe dream lineups you constantly dream up during the day?
there's a thing called "ignore" button.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but... OK, so Spezza can pass real nice... who is going to bury those pucks?

I don't think he can expect THAT huge a production increase out of Williams/Brown/Smyth with a different center. The problem on the team is not a lack of playmaking ability, in fact we have an abundance of that and a complete lack of finishers. Adding a playmaker, whether its a center or not, doesn't make us a stronger team at burying pucks, or give us that "no question" goal guy. The one who can semi-regularly come down the wing and rip a shot past the goalie, much like how Sharp has been for the Hawks. We need THAT guy. I just want the best of the best in Kovy
Nah, let's get Sharp instead. I have been in favor of that all along.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Duc620

Quote:

Kovy-Kopi-Simmonds
Whitney-Thornton-Brown

It's not just about "names" "skill" and "stats" at this level... it is about determination and a willingness to sacrifice for team mates.
That is what we are developing. And that is what you don't screw with by thinking your team will automatically improve with the addition of a guy with better stats or more all star appearances.

There's a reason Smyth is called "Captain Canada"....

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Nah, let's get Sharp instead. I have been in favor of that all along.
Sharp has convinced me this playoffs that he is a highly worthy pick up.

I just doubt in a big way the Hawks let him go.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
funky

Kovy, Marleau, Spezza, Sharp, Buff, Hamhius, Frolov.....................man I can't wait to July 2nd. Either I will be drinkin some nice cold one's celebrating or my wife will kill me because I will be grumpy as f...

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Sharp has convinced me this playoffs that he is a highly worthy pick up.

I just doubt in a big way the Hawks let him go.
Well they have to trade somebody, and he's one of the few guys that other GM's would take regarding his skill & contract value. No one will take Huet and his $5 million or Campbell and his $7 million contracts. I think it'll be Sharp or Versteeg....

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Johnny Utah

You people are ridiculous, no way are we getting Thornton or Spezza. Marleau, maybe.

Kings have already almost 15 million commited to just to 3 centers in Kopi, Stoll and Handzus.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
You may want to read all the prior posts before you go mouthing off. Yeah, it is a dream of a lineup but that wasn't the point of the discussion. You'd know that if you had read prior posts.

Old
06-09-2010, 02:07 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
You people are ridiculous, no way are we getting Thornton or Spezza. Marleau, maybe.

Kings have already almost 15 million commited to just to 3 centers in Kopi, Stoll and Handzus.
Again, read all the prior posts before sounding off!!!