Notices

Iginla Knew He Wasn’t Going Anywhere

Old
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Iginla Knew He Wasn’t Going Anywhere

Good article written by Vicki Hall on Iginla and the Flames going forward.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz0qE0aMQCs

Quote:
The Calgary Flames president extinguished all trade rumours back on May 26 by publicly declaring the captain wasn’t going anywhere — in spite of rampant scuttle around the virtual water cooler.

“I already knew that,” Iginla said Monday from his off-season home in Kelowna, B.C. “From a personal point of view, in my exit meetings after the season with Ken and management and ownership, they said I was still in their plans and they still believed in me.

“Obviously, there was going to be lots of talk in the papers with different opinions and viewpoints. But they told me that then, and I believed them.”

Quote:
And he thanked them, for Iginla, 32, has no desire to change his hockey area code — even if outsiders think his chances of winning a Stanley Cup are better outside of the 403.

Perhaps much better.

Quote:
But Iginla wants to be clear about his motivation for sticking around. Yes, he likes playing in Alberta. And yes, over 13 years as a Flame, he has grown to love the city at the foot of the majestic Rocky Mountains.

“But I’m not just coming back because I like Calgary,” he said. “I want to win.”

Quote:
Iginla also figures general manager Darryl Sutter will make some noise, as always, this summer in the trade and/or free-agent departments.

“We have guys who can put the puck in the net,” he said. “But if we can add a couple of really skilled guys, I think we’ll be able to compete with the best of them and be right there.”

Listen to the man, Darryl.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Areid1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Good article written by Vicki Hall on Iginla and the Flames going forward.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz0qE0aMQCs

Listen to the man, Darryl.
That's blasphemy!! We need more grinders!

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I hope Iginla takes that NTC to the grave.

I don't think I could ever feel the same about the Flames if Iginla was traded.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Its pretty well known that Sutter listens alot to what Iginla says. Iginla is an allstar and was a member of team Canada, he is friends with alot of the top players around the league. Add to that other players never give anything but praise about what kind of leader and captain Iginla is. If Iginla is saying he expects Sutter to be active this offseason then I fully expect that to be the case. There are some big names out there, lets keep our fingers crossed Sutter can pull some more magic on another big deal and hope that this one finally works out!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:49 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
I hope Iginla takes that NTC to the grave.

I don't think I could ever feel the same about the Flames if Iginla was traded.
Im as diehard as it gets when it comes to the flames. Hell at a flames vs oilers game in Edmonton, I almost got jumped because some punk started beaking me and saying the flames weren't as good as the oilers and they didn't deserve the win (bertuzzi won er in SO). Anybody says things about the flames, I stick up for my team, but I honestly think if iginla was traded, I may still cheer for the flames but my heart would be wearing a different jersey

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Its pretty well known that Sutter listens alot to what Iginla says. Iginla is an allstar and was a member of team Canada, he is friends with alot of the top players around the league. Add to that other players never give anything but praise about what kind of leader and captain Iginla is. If Iginla is saying he expects Sutter to be active this offseason then I fully expect that to be the case. There are some big names out there, lets keep our fingers crossed Sutter can pull some more magic on another big deal and hope that this one finally works out!
I was thinking the exact same thing.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:48 AM
RipThisJoint

If there is ever a time to trade Iggy; it's within the next year. And that's assuming he can regain his form. Otherwise, he's a Flame for life, IMO. Not that I'd be upset with that but it would be pretty bad asset management.

For all those who think the Flames are fine with what they have at the moment...take a look at that quote at the end of the article...

RipThisJoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipThisJoint View Post
If there is ever a time to trade Iggy; it's within the next year. And that's assuming he can regain his form. Otherwise, he's a Flame for life, IMO. Not that I'd be upset with that but it would be pretty bad asset management.

For all those who think the Flames are fine with what they have at the moment...take a look at that quote at the end of the article...

I don't know anybody in there right mind who believes the Flames are fine with what they have at the moment.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipThisJoint View Post
he's saying they need to add a playmaker type... which we're all saying... he is also saying we dont need a comlete overhaul

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:05 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
I really hope you are right.... and as much as I think about it Spezza would be great to see setting up Iginla... then take a chance on a guy like Tanguay. Cap needs to be blown out but I really hope Sutter can get some non muckers in this season.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
I really hope you are right.... and as much as I think about it Spezza would be great to see setting up Iginla... then take a chance on a guy like Tanguay. Cap needs to be blown out but I really hope Sutter can get some non muckers in this season.
i think the most likely candidates to center the Flames next year if Sutter goes after a centerman are Plekanec and Ribeiro... I can not see Sutter going after a Spezza or Lecavalier type just because the cost will be so high

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
GoFlames

Or, trade and acquire a UFA play making centre. Also Whitney might test free agency... http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car100607.html

Old
06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i think the most likely candidates to center the Flames next year if Sutter goes after a centerman are Plekanec and Ribeiro... I can not see Sutter going after a Spezza or Lecavalier type just because the cost will be so high
After last season's debacle I really don't think the fans will except anything less than for Sutter to go out and get an elite centre. He needs to get that kind of guy, anything short of that and a failed next season will for sure spell the end for this Flames management group. There will be a full cleaning of house including Mr. King.

Old
06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
flames123

Quote:
After last season's debacle I really don't think the fans will except anything less than for Sutter to go out and get an elite centre. He needs to get that kind of guy, anything short of that and a failed next season will for sure spell the end for this Flames management group. There will be a full cleaning of house including Mr. King.
As long as the Flames are making money for their owners, King is staying right where he is. If Kings stays, so does Darryl, and if Darryl is staying that means Brent is too.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Quote:
How are Plekanec and Ribeiro's 2-way game? I'm not very familiar with either of their defensive games but if we get a true #1 center he had better be solid 2-way because chances are we're going to give up Regehr/Sarich to get him.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
As long as the Flames are making money for their owners, King is staying right where he is. If Kings stays, so does Darryl, and if Darryl is staying that means Brent is too.
If the Flames miss the playoffs this year I will bet my left *** that King right down to McClennan get fired. The fans in the city (as they should be with our payroll) will demand drastic change. The ownership will have oblige or they will risk losing money because of the discontent of the fans. Our crowds will start to drop. Winning brings in money and the majority of fans in the city are fed up with the management group in place. This is game 7 centre for Sutter, it is do or die.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flamez View Post
How are Plekanec and Ribeiro's 2-way game? I'm not very familiar with either of their defensive games but if we get a true #1 center he had better be solid 2-way because chances are we're going to give up Regehr/Sarich to get him.
Plekanec is a higher producing Stajan. Plekanec is a good PKer. About the same PK and defensive ability as Stajan. He skates good as well.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
flames123

Quote:
If the Flames miss the playoffs this year I will bet my left *** that King right down to McClennan get fired. The fans in the city (as they should be with our payroll) will demand drastic change. The ownership will have oblige or they will risk losing money because of the discontent of the fans. Our crowds will start to drop. Winning brings in money and the majority of fans in the city are fed up with the management group in place. This is game 7 centre for Sutter, it is do or die.
You are always so doom and gloom. Things really aren't as bad as many think. If the Flames finish in the top 10 next year (in the west) I don't see any problem filling the seats.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 50
Quote:
You are always so doom and gloom. Things really aren't as bad as many think. If the Flames finish in the top 10 next year (in the west) I don't see any problem filling the seats.
The problem isn't filling the seats, it'll be the torches & pitchforks outside of the Saddledome if the Flames miss the playoffs (again).

It's when the seats stop being filled, that's when the housecleaning will start.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
The problem isn't filling the seats, it'll be the torches & pitchforks outside of the Saddledome if the Flames miss the playoffs (again).

It's when the seats stop being filled, that's when the housecleaning will start.
Possibly right up Sutter's alley?

Old
06-08-2010, 11:52 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Possibly right up Sutter's alley?
And everyone else in Alberta....

Old
06-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Flames had the 3rd highest payroll in the NHL this past season, if not 3rd then I know it was top 5. How is missing the playoffs with the expectations the team had and having an "elite" coach like B. Sutter anything but doom and gloom. And FYI, if you read any of my older posts I've usually been quite optimistic. However I recognize that the current Flames (as the majority of others do as well) has a fundamental problem. Are they far off, hell no. But the problem is Sutter is advertising this team as a contender and they currently are not. If this regime misses the playoffs again with having a payroll near the top of the league then my friend it is all doom and gloom and major changes will happen whether you like or not.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
i think the most likely candidates to center the Flames next year if Sutter goes after a centerman are Plekanec and Ribeiro...

I would love to have Ribeiro centering our top line.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I would love to have Ribeiro centering our top line.
There is no question that he has talent, but man I cannot that guy. I hate him as if he were a canuck lol.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:42 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
There is no question that he has talent, but man I cannot that guy. I hate him as if he were a canuck lol.

People said the same thing about Bertuzzi, but still cheered like hell when he scored goals, lol.