HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2010, 12:41 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Here's something for the anti-Kovy crowd:

* Veteran Mathieu Schneider (Woonsocket, R.I.), who played alongside Ilya Kovalchuk in Atlanta, issues a cordial plus/minus to any club interested in signing the Russian.

“Kovy is a terrific team player,” Schneider tells us. “But he plays his own kind of game. When I worked the power play with him, I never knew what he was going to do – pass or shoot.”

This is precisely the challenge Jacques Lemaire was faced with and it is a key reason why the Devils may hesitate giving Ilya ill money.
It should read Journeyman Mathieu Schneider has no clue, particularly about what league he will be playing in next season.

And maybe, just maybe, if Ilya has that effect on his own teammates, maybe he's that much more unpredictable to his opponents, too?

Old
06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

* Veteran Mathieu Schneider (Woonsocket, R.I.), who played alongside Ilya Kovalchuk in Atlanta, issues a cordial plus/minus to any club interested in signing the Russian.

“Kovy is a terrific team player,” Schneider tells us. “But he plays his own kind of game. When I worked the power play with him, I never knew what he was going to do – pass or shoot.”

This is precisely the challenge Jacques Lemaire was faced with and it is a key reason why the Devils may hesitate giving Ilya ill money.
Am I the only one who read that as Schneider deflecting the fact that he's old and his quickness ain't what it used to be onto Kovy?

Old
06-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I can't remember which player said it or when, but I heard the same thing about Kopitar once. I don't see it as a bad thing if you have a good supporting cast.

Old
06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Thats like saying I don't want to marry that awesome "10" of a woman who I really like for alot oreason and who may just be in love with me because she wont be as hot down the road, particularly when I can marry an older "7" and dump her in just a few years.

And you're married!
Nah, it's more like saying that I would be careful about marrying that awesome 10, because even though she is great in the sack, she might not have the substance and character that I require of a woman to be the mother of my children.

We will find out soon if this guy is all about the money, and if he does come here how hard he will work to fit in.

Old
06-09-2010, 09:45 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Am I the only one who read that as Schneider deflecting the fact that he's old and his quickness ain't what it used to be onto Kovy?
Not you weren't, but from a (slightly, haha) different perspective, Lets just say that getting old sucks. Your mind knows exactly what to do, it even lets you think you can still do it, but your body says NO and you just can't get there quick enough to actually do it. Trust me on that. Of course, you'll find that out too, in the distant future.

Old
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Not you weren't, but from a (slightly, haha) different perspective, Lets just say that getting old sucks. Your mind knows exactly what to do, it even lets you think you can still do it, but your body says NO and you just can't get there quick enough to actually do it. Trust me on that. Of course, you'll find that out too, in the distant future.
There's definitely some truth in what you're saying but it really depends on what kind of shape you're in. I know I'm more physically fit now than when I was in my 20s. Having said that, I definitely need to do lot more stretching before any activity now, whereas in my 20s, I never stretched at all.

Old
06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
Source: Leafs will make pitches for Kovalchuk and Marleau
More to come..
Do you really need a "source" to know that the Leafs are going to try and sign the best UFAs?? Seriously?

According to my source, 30 NHL teams would like to win the Stanley Cup in 2011.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Old
06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Who is the player you would want to play against if you're the other team? The guy who you knew what he was going to do or the world class athlete who you had no idea what he was going to do? IK is the perfect piece to a rather predictable group of forwards in a very predicatble, boring offensive system. DL, TM & Co. have built the cake, now it's time for some icing. The good news as a King fan is that Kovalchuk AND Marleau can provide the Kings with that extra something they lack. If DL strikes out again in getting a top free agent to sign in LA then he may find himself as a free agent next summer. Hopefully he doesn't tell his future employers that he likes the beach or sunshine, cause that's a real negative.

Old
06-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Who is the player you would want to play against if you're the other team? The guy who you knew what he was going to do or the world class athlete who you had no idea what he was going to do? IK is the perfect piece to a rather predictable group of forwards in a very predicatble, boring offensive system. DL, TM & Co. have built the cake, now it's time for some icing. The good news as a King fan is that Kovalchuk AND Marleau can provide the Kings with that extra something they lack. If DL strikes out again in getting a top free agent to sign in LA then he may find himself as a free agent next summer. Hopefully he doesn't tell his future employers that he likes the beach or sunshine, cause that's a real negative.
This is exactly the only reason i'm not for Kovalchuk.
Don't get me wrong we have to take the next step and we have to sign an impact player....................

But will Kovalchuk able to score while pinned to the board by two players ?????
If we bring in tremendous players like Kovalchuk or Marleau, we have to give them the best available coaching staff................

Serious.... i can see Kovalchuk asking the coaching staff when will he be moved to the real Los Angeles Kings... he is tired to practice with the WWE Next superstars.
And why do they use hockey rink boards instead a wrestling arena to do suplexes
or clothlines.
The last time he played hockey he tried to put a puck into a red marked net

Old
06-13-2010, 02:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Don't get me wrong we have to take the next step and we have to sign an impact player....................

If we bring in tremendous players like Kovalchuk or Marleau, we have to give them the best available coaching staff................

Serious.... i can see Kovalchuk asking the coaching staff when will he be moved to the real Los Angeles Kings... he is tired to practice with the WWE Next superstars.
or clothlines.
I agree with you 100%. If I'm IK there are quite a few teams I would rather sign with than LA. LA has all the right pieces, DD looks like a future HOFer, still some great assets in the minors including Bernier but then you have to look at the coach and the system. I've said it before that Marleau is the perfect fit for LA but as a long suffering King fan in deep, deep denial I WANT Kovalchuk. He'll bring back that edge of your seat excitement that hasn't been here since Gretzky. I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up, it aint happening, Marelau and Kovalchuk will probably wind up with other teams but that is part of being a King fan. July 1st is the most exciting and depressing day of the year all rolled into a 24 hour period. Instead I'll be treated to the Trent Klatt's and Eric Rasmussen's of the world as Dean Lombardi opts for the metallic pea green family truckster with the rally package instead of the sports car.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

or clothlines.
Well, I disagree.

If our coaching staff is so bad, how is it that Kopi has improved from last year's 66 pts to 81 pts this season? DD improving from 27 pts to 59 pts and so forth. And this is all being done without a legit top line sniper. Just imagine how much more improved everyone else will be with the addition of Kovy. I'm sorry if you can't see how the addition of Kovy will greatly improve our offense, yes, even with TM as our head coach.

Just ask yourself this: Do you think that Kopi will have a better season with Kovy on his line or not? If the answer is yes, then what's the problem? If the answer is no, then swallow your pride and get back to me.

TM may not coach the way YOU want him to, but he delivers results and we have improved as a team.

Dude, you just really need to let go of hatin' on TM. Repeat after me...serenity now, SERNENITY NOW!!!

Old
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Well, I disagree.

If our coaching staff is so bad, how is it that Kopi has improved from last year's 66 pts to 81 pts this season? DD improving from 27 pts to 59 pts and so forth. And this is all being done without a legit top line sniper. Just imagine how much more improved everyone else will be with the addition of Kovy. I'm sorry if you can't see how the addition of Kovy will greatly improve our offense, yes, even with TM as our head coach.

Just ask yourself this: Do you think that Kopi will have a better season with Kovy on his line or not? If the answer is yes, then what's the problem? If the answer is no, then swallow your pride and get back to me.

TM may not coach the way YOU want him to, but he delivers results and we have improved as a team.

Dude, you just really need to let go of hatin' on TM. Repeat after me...serenity now, SERNENITY NOW!!!
Haha. Honestly, at this point, I'm sort of done debating who would be the 'better' signing at this point...but to me, we need one more high-end forward, not more depth. One more high-end forward, be it Kovy or Marleau, will give us a legitimate scoring threat in the sense that you COULD move one of them to the second line and make the opponents adjust. Right now, outside of Kopitar, there's no one on our roster that inspires that kind of fear in the opponents; you can mostly just cover the Kopitar line and be fine--there's no one else truly scary to beat you. However, if you had Kopi on one line and Kovy on another...

Yes, I'm sure on most occasions they'd play together...but we need SOMEONE to create matchup problems for the other teams...just my two cents.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Well, I disagree.

Post of the off-season!!!

Old
06-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Well, I disagree.

A) These guys developing doesn't matter who the coach is. They would even develope if the coach isn't in the rink while practice. We are talking about 19-23 year old guys who peak at 28.
Hell......... a monkey could coach the Kings to the 6th place. The question is where could we be. I don't question his practice or handling the players.
What i question is his style not to lose a game instead try to win the games.
Try not to lose leads you to a top 8th seed.... actually win games leads to the cup.

B) It's not a matter of making Kopitar better............. ???????
He has to make the Kings a lot better. If we bing in talent we have to change our system.............. If you squeeze a fast talented team into a slow defensive game style you win a game here and there but you will never win the cup.
But if you have the players for an agressive offensive 2 way game........ why don't use it ????????????????
Like i said.......... the Kings are talented enough to lock a playoff spot without a coach.............. but i question everyone who thinks this is good enough.

The even bigger picture is.................. how many years will the playerd accept this crap. Cammy was just the beginning...... Frolov is just the second one....
If nothing really dramatic change we will go back to the trash troop without any talent but a lot grit and heart who draft every year at # 5-10
because the real talented guys just wanna play hockey and want a chance to win something. If this keeps on going the Kopitars, Doughty's and Berniers will leave as soon as they can.

This is what i'm afraid off.........................

If i have to go again through a period where the Heinze's and Randy Robbitaille's are presented as the future solutions i will have alot of happy furniture salesmans around my home

Old
06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

or clothlines.
Your lack of objectivity with the coaching is as bad as JT's obdurate veneration of Rob Blake. If you expect perfection from your coaching staff, every decision in foresight and hindsight to be correct and the players being unaccountable for performance, then you are following the wrong sport. Be critical of Murray, we all have, but your incessant diatribe that now goes as far as claiming Kovalchuk shouldn't come here because of Murray's coaching highlights your biased emotion based agenda that goes beyond your typical aberration.

Old
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
A) These guys developing doesn't matter who the coach is. They would even develope if the coach isn't in the rink while practice. We are talking about 19-23 year old guys who peak at 28.
Hell......... a monkey could coach the Kings to the 6th place. The question is where could we be. I don't question his practice or handling the players.
What i question is his style not to lose a game instead try to win the games.
Try not to lose leads you to a top 8th seed.... actually win games leads to the cup.

B) It's not a matter of making Kopitar better............. ???????
He has to make the Kings a lot better. If we bing in talent we have to change our system.............. If you squeeze a fast talented team into a slow defensive game style you win a game here and there but you will never win the cup.
But if you have the players for an agressive offensive 2 way game........ why don't use it ????????????????
Like i said.......... the Kings are talented enough to lock a playoff spot without a coach.............. but i question everyone who thinks this is good enough.

The even bigger picture is.................. how many years will the playerd accept this crap. Cammy was just the beginning...... Frolov is just the second one....
If nothing really dramatic change we will go back to the trash troop without any talent but a lot grit and heart who draft every year at # 5-10
because the real talented guys just wanna play hockey and want a chance to win something. If this keeps on going the Kopitars, Doughty's and Berniers will leave as soon as they can.

This is what i'm afraid off.........................

If i have to go again through a period where the Heinze's and Randy Robbitaille's are presented as the future solutions i will have alot of happy furniture salesmans around my home
TM although, a bit too conservative at times isn't afraid to play the youngsters as long as they do what is asked of him and I find that very refreshing. TM has the players thinking defense first, and that's a good thing because we all know that good defense wins championships. Would you rather Kopi and DD be under the supervision of MC who thinks offense first? Sure, they may put up better numbers under MC but their overall game will suffer. We want players that are well rounded and can think on their feet and that is what TM is trying to develop here.

Kovy playing for a defense oriented devils was able to be a point per game player. And if he can do that with the devils, I don't see why he couldn't do that or perhaps even better under TM.

Hey, I'll gladly take 45 goals and 90 points, wouldn't you?

Old
06-13-2010, 04:17 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I agree with you 100%. If I'm IK there are quite a few teams I would rather sign with than LA. LA has all the right pieces, DD looks like a future HOFer, still some great assets in the minors including Bernier but then you have to look at the coach and the system. I've said it before that Marleau is the perfect fit for LA but as a long suffering King fan in deep, deep denial I WANT Kovalchuk. He'll bring back that edge of your seat excitement that hasn't been here since Gretzky. I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up, it aint happening, Marelau and Kovalchuk will probably wind up with other teams but that is part of being a King fan. July 1st is the most exciting and depressing day of the year all rolled into a 24 hour period. Instead I'll be treated to the Trent Klatt's and Eric Rasmussen's of the world as Dean Lombardi opts for the metallic pea green family truckster with the rally package instead of the sports car.
But the Truckster has that faux-wood paneling on the side at no extra charge. On that same token, July 1st is like the day you circle on your calendar to go to Wally World but, when you get there, the moose outside tells you that it's f'ing closed.

I wanted to throw a name out there that seems like a DL guy to replace Frolov:

Ryan Malone

McKenzie says he is available. He is a big, bruising LW who can put up 20+ goals and 50 points while not taking any ****. Sticks up for teammates and is a pretty good fighter. The downside is his $4.5mm dollar salary for the next 4 seasons (edit: 5 seasons) but he would be able to fill Smyth's role for three more seasons once Ryan is done.

I know how touchy everyone around here is about salary and Versteeg makes less so he may be more of an option. I love Malone's game and character though and he was a key player for the Pens in their first trip to the Finals.

Would everyone here be upset if LA rolled Marleau, Malone and Smyth at LW next season? What if the deal for Malone included Stoll so they wouldn't be adding too much salary over the next two seasons and then Smyth's contract would be off the books?

Last edited by BigKing: 06-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old
06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Would everyone here be upset if LA rolled Marleau, Malone and Smyth at LW next season?
Upset? No.

However, having Marleau in lieu of Kovy would put a bitter taste in my mouth.

Preferred: Kovy, Smyth, Malone

2011, we can buyout Smyth and we should be ok.

Old
06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Malone would be a great fit. Would be very happy to have him.

Old
06-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
But the Truckster has that faux-wood paneling on the side at no extra charge. On that same token, July 1st is like the day you circle on your calendar to go to Wally World but, when you get there, the moose outside tells you that it's f'ing closed.

I wanted to throw a name out there that seems like a DL guy to replace Frolov:

Ryan Malone

McKenzie says he is available. He is a big, bruising LW who can put up 20+ goals and 50 points while not taking any ****. Sticks up for teammates and is a pretty good fighter. The downside is his $4.5mm dollar salary for the next 4 seasons but he would be able to fill Smyth's role for two more seasons once Ryan is done.

I know how touchy everyone around here is about salary and Versteeg makes less so he may be more of an option. I love Malone's game and character though and he was a key player for the Pens in their first trip to the Finals.

Would everyone here be upset if LA rolled Marleau, Malone and Smyth at LW next season?
i was thinking the same thing, though it depends on the asking price for Malone, and I haven't looked at numbers yet. If we could do that AND get a defensive upgrade (not necessarily a UFA...may even be internal), I would be satisfied.

Old
06-13-2010, 04:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
What if the deal for Malone included Stoll so they wouldn't be adding too much salary over the next two seasons and then Smyth's contract would be off the books?
That would definitely be beneficial but who do you have centering our second line?

Old
06-13-2010, 05:27 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Only way I'd approve of Malone is if we don't re-sign Modin. We don't need to get any slower.

Old
06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
TM although, a bit too conservative at times isn't afraid to play the youngsters as long as they do what is asked of him and I find that very refreshing. TM has the players thinking defense first, and that's a good thing because we all know that good defense wins championships. Would you rather Kopi and DD be under the supervision of MC who thinks offense first? Sure, they may put up better numbers under MC but their overall game will suffer. We want players that are well rounded and can think on their feet and that is what TM is trying to develop here.

Kovy playing for a defense oriented devils was able to be a point per game player. And if he can do that with the devils, I don't see why he couldn't do that or perhaps even better under TM.

Hey, I'll gladly take 45 goals and 90 points, wouldn't you?
I'm not disappointed with his defensive style..............
What i try to say is there is no balance... we don't play a 2 way game.
We play a one way defensive game. I would be more happy with that defensive style but trying to win games.
I'm simply and plain tired of whatching 50 minutes Terry Murray to have 10 minutes left to score 2 or 3 goals to win the game.
Sure i'm always happy to have entertaining minutes and get a win.....
but will this lead to a Stanley Cup ????
Alone this fact proves that Murrays way to play the game isn't helping to win... it doesn't even prevent from trailing every game.
One of the biggest issues beside the offense sacrificing defense is that Murray has no balls......... we always react we are never dominating a game.
We have the players and the talent to force the opponent to react and be afraid of us.

Old
06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
That would definitely be beneficial but who do you have centering our second line?
That's the rub. Is Schenn ready for 15 minutes a night on the 3rd with Zeus centering the 2nd? I'm not saying you have to move Stoll, but moving his salary would lessen the sting of Malone's dollars. Looking at TB's center depth, they don't really have any since I believe Stamkos is playing wing. Stoll's game seems like a need for them.

You could try to stop-gap the position for 1-2 years with a Comrie, Belanger or Madden-type guy to allow Schenn to develop at a 10-minute a night clip on the 4th line. If it's a 2-year deal then just trade them the next season if you need to drop their salary and Schenn is ready.

I do not like 5 years at $4.5mm for Malone unless you are sold on him as your 2nd line LW for awhile and a "core" guy because that is somewhat of a core guy contract. I throw it out there though because he definitely seems like the type of player that Lombardi covets.

Old
06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Only way I'd approve of Malone is if we don't re-sign Modin. We don't need to get any slower.
Wait. Are you saying Modin is a slow skater?

Closed Thread