HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers re-sign Dane Byers

Old
06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
id rather have prust here over shelley. I'd be more than content with prust-boyle-weise 4th line with voros in hartford and byers as our 13th.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:21 PM
eco's bones

Byers has actually put up pretty good numbers 3 out of 4 years in the AHL. The one year he didn't he missed almost the whole year with a knee injury. Last year coming off that injury he went over 50 points. He also didn't look bad in the few games he was up. He has size, grit, some agitation to his game. He's not going to be a top 6 forward but he's going to get a real shot sooner or later with someone if he persists and if he continues to progress.

Another thing is if he's signed for 500 or 600 K he's a savings over Voros who is signed for 1 mil. A few hundred thousand might not be much but if the team is looking for some wiggle room at the end of training camp it may make a difference choosing Byers over Voros.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
nyr2417

I really can't see shelley being here and prust not. Prust is alot younger, better skater, good fighter, and at the end of the year torts even used him on the pk showing his versatility. he is a very valuable asset who we must retain.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
I really can't see shelley being here and prust not. Prust is alot younger, better skater, good fighter, and at the end of the year torts even used him on the pk showing his versatility. he is a very valuable asset who we must retain.
I agree. I was very excited when we got Prust from Calgary. Liked his addition more than Jokinen right off the bat. Prust will take on anybody. In that he reminds me of Adam Graves. He's a good guy to have on your team. And the more he played with us the more confidence he got.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
nyr2417

love prospal but i think i'd rather see us go with a younger movement. By that I mean I'd rather see us bring up 2 power forwards in both weise and byers. I think it's time to give avery more duty on this team, he is a great passer and he possesses the puck tremendously and that will open ice for our skill players. Therefore, I really wouldn't mind going with a line-up with forwards like this...

Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Avery-Anisimov-MZA
Byers-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Voros

I know, I know tons of grit no real scoring threats outside gaborik but whataaayaa gonna do

Old
06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree. I was very excited when we got Prust from Calgary. Liked his addition more than Jokinen right off the bat. Prust will take on anybody. In that he reminds me of Adam Graves. He's a good guy to have on your team. And the more he played with us the more confidence he got.
exactly, he even said he was more confident here because he wasn't getting 3 minutes a night and he wasn't getting scratched often. That translated to very impressive play on his part, he's one of the main reasons we even had meaningful games in the last 2 weeks of the year. Let me pose this question...

Dear Glen Sather,
Where else are you going to find a 26 year old who can fight very well, forecheck like a mofo, pick up some goals, and even pk for around 750k(what I think he should get). No where! As they say in rounder, Pay the man!

Old
06-08-2010, 08:16 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
love prospal but i think i'd rather see us go with a younger movement. By that I mean I'd rather see us bring up 2 power forwards in both weise and byers. I think it's time to give avery more duty on this team, he is a great passer and he possesses the puck tremendously and that will open ice for our skill players. Therefore, I really wouldn't mind going with a line-up with forwards like this...

Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Avery-Anisimov-MZA
Byers-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Voros

I know, I know tons of grit no real scoring threats outside gaborik but whataaayaa gonna do
I agree this team needs to get younger, But I think bringing back vinny at the right price is a good move for the team.

But Avery...People overstate about Avery all the time. he cant step up his role on the team because he's injured too often and is too enigmatic to be consistent in any capacity.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:27 PM
nyr2417

you see what downie does in tampa and it makes you wonder, ya know? Yeah I know downies has stamkos centering him but downie creates so many opportunities and opens the ice for stamkos. I'm not advocating for avery on the first line because dubi is clearly the better fit there but with the way avery controls the puck and dishes(very underrated passer) I think he could complement Anisimov tremendously. All the players say that Anisimov scores the most impressive goals in practice, it's just a matter of time before that translates to gamplay. Put avery on the second line with anisimov, I think it will work out very well and if it doesn't we all know torts is more than fine with switching up lines.

Old
06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Avery-Anisimov-MZA
Byers-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Voros

Its not just there aren't scoring threats outside of Gaborik, its the fact that top 6 would be one of the worst in the league. The second line is particularly troubling.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Great signing now give the kid a chance

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Love it, hope he's a staple on the bottom 6 next season although it might be tough to fit him in if Sather is set on re-signing Shelley and Prust.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
you see what downie does in tampa and it makes you wonder, ya know? Yeah I know downies has stamkos centering him but downie creates so many opportunities and opens the ice for stamkos. I'm not advocating for avery on the first line because dubi is clearly the better fit there but with the way avery controls the puck and dishes(very underrated passer) I think he could complement Anisimov tremendously. All the players say that Anisimov scores the most impressive goals in practice, it's just a matter of time before that translates to gamplay. Put avery on the second line with anisimov, I think it will work out very well and if it doesn't we all know torts is more than fine with switching up lines.
id agree with this, if Avery actually played with any sort of consistency this past year....avery was not all that good for 60% of the games last year..he was a nothing player out there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:00 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
This probably means we wont be resigning Prust. I like Byers. He does his job almost as effectively as Prust.
Prust is a RFA that won't cost much at all. There's no way we're letting him walk.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id agree with this, if Avery actually played with any sort of consistency this past year....avery was not all that good for 60% of the games last year..he was a nothing player out there.
A lot of me thinks that was a combination or Torts/the league's witch hunt against him.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:03 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't really know how they fit, but I think Byers, Prust, and Shelley are all going to at least be under contract with us. Shelley being the most likely to NOT be.

Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Cally
Avery-Drury-Prust
Byers-Boyle-Shelley
Voros

MZA starts in Hartford.

Or you can put MZA on the 2nd line, Cally on the 3rd, Prust on the 4th and Byers starting in Hartford.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:41 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

With Byers signing so early,seems the Rangers have sent out their qualifying offers. Read where Detroit and Columbus had sent out their QOs. They don't want another Blackhawk situation where the QO's are sent late and in the wrong manner. The QOs are due by June 25 or the Monday after the draft. Since June 25 is day one of the draft,the QOs are due June 28.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:26 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Not at all sure why Boyle is penciled in the line up as a given.

I'd prefer to have Weise center the 4th line with Byers and Prust.

Boyle's PK ability is nice and all, but as a 4th line grinder, he lacks grind of any kind.

The PK will be just fine without the big softie.

A Prust - Weise - Byers line will be a very physical, in your face grinding keep the puck deep kind of line that teams need and feed off of.

I just see having Boyle out there providing for such a different (not in a good way) dynamic.

To me, Boyle should be the odd man out.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not at all sure why Boyle is penciled in the line up as a given.

I'd prefer to have Weise center the 4th line with Byers and Prust.

Boyle's PK ability is nice and all, but as a 4th line grinder, he lacks grind of any kind.

The PK will be just fine without the big softie.

A Prust - Weise - Byers line will be a very physical, in your face grinding keep the puck deep kind of line that teams need and feed off of.

I just see having Boyle out there providing for such a different (not in a good way) dynamic.

To me, Boyle should be the odd man out.
For starters, Weise isn't a center.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:35 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
For starters, Weise isn't a center.
Fair enough, but it doesn't change the sentiment of the post and the thought that Boyle, regardless of PK abilities, should not be cemented in the line up.

Old
06-09-2010, 06:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Fair enough, but it doesn't change the sentiment of the post and the thought that Boyle, regardless of PK abilities, should not be cemented in the line up.

The solution could be Avery at center on the 4th line...Byers/Avery/Shelley on the 4th line, Prust/Drury/Callahan on another, and MZA/Anisimov/Weise as another line...yeah, we'd be looking at a top 5 pick in 2011.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Levitate

I think Avery definitely had consistency problems trying to find an effect way to play, and part of me really thinks it shouldn't be *that* hard to do, but the league has made it harder for him to draw penalties and not get called for ridiculous stuff that he doesn't deserve.

I think the things with Tortorella might be overblown at least a bit...I doubt Tortorella wants Avery to just reign it completely in and be a generic player; in fact he repeatedly said he wanted Avery to find the line and play right on it, but not cross over and do a bunch of dumb ****.

And that's really the thing with Avery...for some reason he struggles to find that sweet spot of being really irritating (hitting, chirping, even diving and stuff like that) without going too far and taking a bunch of penalties and putting his team down. I like it when he crowds the goalie, but I don't like it when he blatantly just runs into the goalie in front of the ref and it's an easy penalty call. Learn a little tact.

As for Byers, hopefully he gets a shot but there'sa pretty decent amount of guys he'll have to beat out

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:30 AM
94now

Someone has to play in AHL.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:

Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Avery-Anisimov-MZA
Byers-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise
Voros

What has Avery done to warrant more playing time? I didn't think he was affective last year, except for maybe a handful of games.... If he is going to be a top6 forward on this team, were in some serious trouble.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:15 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The solution could be Avery at center on the 4th line...Byers/Avery/Shelley on the 4th line, Prust/Drury/Callahan on another, and MZA/Anisimov/Weise as another line...yeah, we'd be looking at a top 5 pick in 2011.
in my head, Shelly, Drury and Redden are not on this team.

Which would allow us the ability to plug some very glaring holes in the top 6 and allow for interchangable parts on the bottom 6 between the following players

Prust, Callahan, Avery, Weise, Anisimov and Byers

Zucko, in my opinion, needs to play on the 2nd line with a playmaking center to get the most out of his abilities.

Old
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
What has Avery done to warrant more playing time? I didn't think he was affective last year, except for maybe a handful of games.... If he is going to be a top6 forward on this team, were in some serious trouble.
They're in trouble anyway. Avery on that line at least adds some grit and physical presence.