HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Wild looking at Swede Fredrik Pettersson

Old
06-07-2010, 12:10 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
He hasn't put up great numbers in international play. Not going to get my hopes up.

Remember what Brunnstrom did? Oh, that's right, nothing.

I'll be ok with this if the Wild bring in 2 quality centers and ship out Miettinen in the process.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Let's see, worst case scenario, he doesn't play for the Wild, best case scenario he can improve the roster at the cost of no draft picks? Sign me up.

Looks like he can skate and has hands.

I'm not sure Kobasew is going to be able to move all that well coming off that knee injury.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Kari Takko

Brian Burke said that signing a young UFA (Like Wellman, Prosser, this guy) is like finding cash on the street.

Signing this guy to a reasonable contract won't hurt us in any way, but it could help us quite a bit.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
Brian Burke said that signing a young UFA (Like Wellman, Prosser, this guy) is like finding cash on the street.

Signing this guy to a reasonable contract won't hurt us in any way, but it could help us quite a bit.
Agreed. Welcome by the way.

I just don't see what's not to like about a potential signing like this. Will he ever amount to anything special? Probably not. But who knows. Given where this team currently is at, you've got to explore all available markets and not turn a blind eye to anything. That's a big reason as to why DR didn't exactly excel here.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Welcome!

My take on the matter is that it's a low risk-high reward deal. For a team which has the worst prospect pipeline in the league, the fact that GMCF is looking for outside talent is a welcome one. However, all the talk of Pettersson replacing Mittens is a bit premature. There is no reason to have high expectations given the transition from the SEL to the NHL - someone mentioned Wallin as an example - but it will be great to have another player on board to fight and push himself and others.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Kari Takko

Gentlemen, thank you for the warm welcome.

Plenty of fans make the mistake of thinking that signing "this guy" will replace "that guy". When you look at that video does Petterson remind you more of Miettenen or Wellman?

He's a little on the small side (not by much) but his legs never stop moving in that video. It looks like he's got a high motor, and would be a nice complement to our current roster this year or down the road a bit.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
MK9

I never get too whipped up about these signings. But, if they can find anything to bolster the pool and possibly pick up another diamond in the rough (Latendresse) for a reasonable price, it'd be asinine not to look at is as a plus.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Kari Takko

It's hard not to get my hopes up. This is how we ended up with Backstrom.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I know, but it's also how we ended up with Tomas Mojzis and seven other guys like him.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:51 PM
North Metro Peewees

One signing everyone kind of forgets about is Jerrod Palmer from Fridley who played at Miami. He was pegged as the top undrafted prospect by RLR (I know it's Woodlief). But he did have interesting things to say about him.

Here is Red Line''s list of the top available college free agents:

1. Jarod Palmer/C-LW Miami, 6-1/195, Feb. 10, 1986 (Sr.)

Most NHL ready prospect available. Skilled power forward with a dangerous shot. Can drive the puck through traffic and unload accurate shots from even the tightest of spaces. Strong in every aspect of the game and is far from a one-dimensional player. Aggressive along the boards and an ace penalty killer. More agile on his feet than he was in his years of draft eligibility.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:06 AM
mnwildgophers

I am happy with the FA signings as they will help no matter what, but I just love the fact that GMCF is being proactive about it. Sure, it's not guaranteed to work out, but why not take a shot?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
One signing everyone kind of forgets about is Jerrod Palmer from Fridley who played at Miami. He was pegged as the top undrafted prospect by RLR (I know it's Woodlief). But he did have interesting things to say about him.

Here is Red Line''s list of the top available college free agents:

1. Jarod Palmer/C-LW Miami, 6-1/195, Feb. 10, 1986 (Sr.)

Most NHL ready prospect available. Skilled power forward with a dangerous shot. Can drive the puck through traffic and unload accurate shots from even the tightest of spaces. Strong in every aspect of the game and is far from a one-dimensional player. Aggressive along the boards and an ace penalty killer. More agile on his feet than he was in his years of draft eligibility.
I'm excited to see Palmer in camp much for the same reason why it would be nice to sign Pettersson. It's a shame he gets lost in the shuffle, but that's what happens when you are the third college free agent signed and the only one who didn't suit up with the Wild.

Old
06-08-2010, 12:32 AM
edgevolution
GO USA!

This guy looks like he could be a legit prospect. If nothing else, like others have said, he will had to our prospect pool and stop players from being called up prematurely. I am starting to grow on GMCF

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
And now Backstrom is killing this team cap-wise...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Well poo poo'd this rumor.

Quote:
-- I got a few emails that some Swedish site's reporting the Wild's pursuing former Oilers draft pick Fredrik Pettersson from Frolunda. Untrue.

Old
06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'm excited to see Palmer in camp much for the same reason why it would be nice to sign Pettersson. It's a shame he gets lost in the shuffle, but that's what happens when you are the third college free agent signed and the only one who didn't suit up with the Wild.
His Coach, Enrico Blasi, said that he should thrive in the NHL because its much more of a puck protection game than the NCAA, and Palmer is adept at that.

I think it's a slick signing.

That's TWO MINNESOTAN COLLEGE KIDS WE SIGNED this year. Shouldn't this shut alot of people up? One Spring signing period and we've already eclipsed the Risebrough regime's track record...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 09:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Well poo poo'd this rumor.
Well I guess the world will have to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
His Coach, Enrico Blasi, said that he should thrive in the NHL because its much more of a puck protection game than the NCAA, and Palmer is adept at that.

I think it's a slick signing.

That's TWO MINNESOTAN COLLEGE KIDS WE SIGNED this year. Shouldn't this shut alot of people up? One Spring signing period and we've already eclipsed the Risebrough regime's track record...
It would be great if people shut up about the local angle, but I doubt it. That's going to last longer than the Wild's reputation as a trap team.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well I guess the world will have to go on.

It would be great if people shut up about the local angle, but I doubt it. That's going to last longer than the Wild's reputation as a trap team.
Agreed. I'm so sick of the local product angle. Even with the Gophers it's ridiculous. We Minnesotans need to get over ourselves. The bottom line is you try to bring in the best players regardless of where they are from, it just so happens that we live in an area with a very deep talent pool as far as the U.S. is concerned.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
yet i have to curb my tendencies to reject the notion of any MN player just as a reactionary bias. Bjugstad for instance...immediately i think "he's from Minnesota--screw that!" but really he wouldn't be a bad pick for a few years' project.

It's ridiculous to try to use it as a reason for picking/trading a player, however. "We have enough bald guys on the team--no we won't trade Sheppard and Harding for Getzlaf!"

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Agreed. I'm so sick of the local product angle. Even with the Gophers it's ridiculous. We Minnesotans need to get over ourselves. The bottom line is you try to bring in the best players regardless of where they are from, it just so happens that we live in an area with a very deep talent pool as far as the U.S. is concerned.
The Gophers are unique. I know where you are coming from with the "Minnesota's Pride on Ice" hoopla and the unwritten Minnesota rule during the Woog years, but there's nothing wrong with having most of the team being from the state. It's a deep talent pool and the university is located in an area where 60% of the population is based, so you are going to have your pick of top players.

With that said however, you are right about the Gophers needing to do a better job of recruiting from outside the state and trying to get those top players. They've been better the last couple years (and there are quite a few in the next couple recruiting classes) but the fact that this is an issue in 2010 and people get pissed off at a team which isn't made up of all Minnesotans is a little ridiculous.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
And now Backstrom is killing this team cap-wise...
I'm glad to see you post over here.

I think you and I saw eye-to-eye on the Backstrom issue. If he hadn't been signed, we'd have an extra 4 mil/yr of cap space.

Old
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
The Gophers are unique. I know where you are coming from with the "Minnesota's Pride on Ice" hoopla and the unwritten Minnesota rule during the Woog years, but there's nothing wrong with having most of the team being from the state. It's a deep talent pool and the university is located in an area where 60% of the population is based, so you are going to have your pick of top players.

With that said however, you are right about the Gophers needing to do a better job of recruiting from outside the state and trying to get those top players. They've been better the last couple years (and there are quite a few in the next couple recruiting classes) but the fact that this is an issue in 2010 and people get pissed off at a team which isn't made up of all Minnesotans is a little ridiculous.
I actually respectfully disagree. I don't think the problem is the recruiting of outside players but the recruitment of players from within the state.
They didn't take Oshie, for example, who was a great college player for UND that grew up in MN. In my eyes, they are letting the solid, buy into the system players (Whatever system that may be) for flashy players that tend to try to do everything by themselves. They only look out for themselves. While I'm not saying that they shouldn't look out for their best interests they could simply play as a team rather than trying to show off for the scouts.

Just my $.02. I can see your point of view though.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneWildSota View Post
I actually respectfully disagree. I don't think the problem is the recruiting of outside players but the recruitment of players from within the state.
They didn't take Oshie, for example, who was a great college player for UND that grew up in MN. In my eyes, they are letting the solid, buy into the system players (Whatever system that may be) for flashy players that tend to try to do everything by themselves. They only look out for themselves. While I'm not saying that they shouldn't look out for their best interests they could simply play as a team rather than trying to show off for the scouts.

Just my $.02. I can see your point of view though.
They didn't take Oshie because that was the Kessel, Stoa, Wheeler and (supposedly) Peter Mueller freshman class, but what you brought up is another issue which is related, yet separate, to the point being made about only recruiting MN players.

Last edited by GopherState: 06-08-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: On second thought, I think that might be a year off
Old
06-09-2010, 08:32 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
They didn't take Oshie because that was the Kessel, Stoa, Wheeler and (supposedly) Peter Mueller freshman class, but what you brought up is another issue which is related, yet separate, to the point being made about only recruiting MN players.
They couldn't get Oshie because he was intending on following Cary Eades to UND all along. More often than not, if a Warroad player has legitimate D-1 aspirations, there's a good chance he's going to UND. (Damn you Marvin!)

Old
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think anybody here who knows hockey is clamoring for more Minnesotans on the team, they just want winners. It's the same idiots who whine about NHL ratings...it doesn't make a difference to the actual team.

U of M needs more quality players period, regardless of where they come from. And a coach who can instill some kind of system.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote