HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franchise Player

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Franchise Player

A post on the NHL main board really got me think about this. The question was name each teams franchise player. Most people picked Walker for Nashville's. I just can't see that. I think Vokoun has done as much as Walker, both have really only had 2 impact seasons. So next I thought Kimmo Timonen, the more I think about it the more I think it would be Kimmo hands down, no one else would be close.

Here's his honors

*** NHL ALL-STAR *** Selected to play for the Western Conference in the 2004 NHL All-Star Game in St. Paul, Minnesota
Served as a Predators' assistant captain in 2001-02
*** NHL ALL-STAR *** Named to the World All-Star team for the 2000 NHL All-Star Game, becoming the second Predator (Sergei Krivokrasov in 1999) to earn an invitation to the All-Star Game, but could not participate due to injury
Named an IHL All-Star in the 1998-99 season, but did not play in the game due to his recall to Nashville

Here is Scott Walkers

Named the NHLís Offensive Player of the Week for December 22-28, 2003. He tallied seven points (four goals, three assists) and was plus-6 in four games.
Served as the Predatorsí interim captain from January 12-25, 2003

Old
03-17-2005, 08:12 AM
PredsMan

I would agree with you...

Timonen has very quietly become an extremely valuable and reliable player.

Old
03-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Pattypred

As usual Triggrman - you show that you've thought this out.

I agree with Kimmo being our franchise player and Vokoun a close second. Both Kimmo and Tomas have shown they give 100% day in and day out. They rarely miss games.

While Walker use to be the heart of the Predators, I believe Vokoun to be the backbone and Timonen the body. Timonen has consistently shown he is a leader on the ice. It's fun to watch him teach his defensive partner.

Just my $.02 worth.

Old
03-17-2005, 09:06 AM
HyperSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred
As usual Triggrman - you show that you've thought this out.

I agree with Kimmo being our franchise player and Vokoun a close second. Both Kimmo and Tomas have shown they give 100% day in and day out. They rarely miss games.

While Walker use to be the heart of the Predators, I believe Vokoun to be the backbone and Timonen the body. Timonen has consistently shown he is a leader on the ice. It's fun to watch him teach his defensive partner.

Just my $.02 worth.
I'll buy that Kimmo is (as of now, or up to this point) the Preds franchise player...and Patty, he could also be the "Mind" as he probably the smartest player on our team in terms of knowing how to play the game. He proves every game that intelligent play is (at the least equally) as important as strong physical play.

Old
03-17-2005, 09:28 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'm not sure we have a franchise player like a lot of teams do, instead we have a collection of players who combine to fill that void. Of that group, I would agree that Timonen stands out. He gets considerable press for his abilities (compared to the rest of the Predators), and he has awards to prove it. He's kept our powerplay from falling into oblivion despite not usually having the right forwards for the job.

Old
03-17-2005, 10:47 AM
handtrick

"Franchise Player" can be defined many ways. In the NFL it is more a "cap related tag". It can also mean "MVP". It can mean "core building block for the future". It can also mean "most expensive player."

I guess my opinion would be predicated on the definition of "Franchise Player."

Closed Thread