HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Derek Stepan (Post #396)

Old
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
Great news if true.

Logically, one would think that McD would make the jump too if Stepan dives right in.

As for Stepan being ready for the NHL next season? Highly doubtful unless he beefs up big time this offseason for training camp.

OTOH, I've been way off in the past, especially since the lockout, about what top prospects should & shouldn't be thrown into the league right away. For example I thought when he was drafted that there was no way that Patrick Kane should have made the Blackhawks right away & look what happened...the rest is history.

You never know.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
NYR Viper

Very surprised if this is true. I know his stats were very impressive but he scored a lot on one of the best PP's in college hockey last season and physically he needs to mature. I would have left him at Wisconsin for one more season to allow him to continue to work-out, mature and get stronger.

Also, I am pretty sure he won't make the Rangers for the reasons I stated above. He thinks the game at a very high level but his body just isn't ready for the NHL.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Such awesome news if true!

I don't care if he doesn't make the Rangers yet, getting a full schedule and playing against better competition will be awesome for Stepan. I also think this greatly influences his stubborn friend.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Yay!

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Such awesome news if true!

I don't care if he doesn't make the Rangers yet, getting a full schedule and playing against better competition will be awesome for Stepan. I also think this greatly influences his stubborn friend.
I am not sure he is stubborn. I think he just wants to get a lay of the land before signing with the Rangers. He has never associated himself with the Rangers ever. he was traded after the developmental camp and while I am sure he has spoken to the Rangers representatives he knows very little about anything except for what they told him(which I am sure he would like to verify with his own eyes).

Old
06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What makes you so sure? Just because it is unlikely that it will happen doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility. Imo Stepan could probably step into the NHL right now and not look out of place. It's a long-shot, but not impossible
He's not saying he won't be but that he shouldn't be. Yes Stepan has a ton of talent and is a very smart kid but skill and mental abilities are only half the battle in the NHL. On Wisconsin's website he is listed at 6'0 and 180 lbs. Obviously thats not tiny but hes going to need to be a bit bigger and have better skating if he wants to be a center in the NHL. We talk about size with someone like MZA but he has been playing against men for the last 2 years and knows what it takes to play at the pro level.

With the logjam at center of Drury, Dubinsky, Christensen, Anisimov, and possibly people like Prospal and Boyle, Stepan would be better served playing in a prominent role in HFD than the 3rd or 4th line in NY. Like I said, he has a ton of skill and hockey sense but I don't think he is physically mature enough to play top 6 minutes in the NHL yet and I think thats what Crow was getting at.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What makes you so sure? Just because it is unlikely that it will happen doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility. Imo Stepan could probably step into the NHL right now and not look out of place. It's a long-shot, but not impossible
This is only in my opinion, but I have a list of reasons why...

-he's not physically mature enough; how would he absorb a hit from Pronger?

-he's not fast enough yet; as it stands now, he'd have a hard time keeping up with the pro level pace. Give him a year in the A for the sole reason to have him get used to the pace of the pro game

-throwing him into the cluster**** that this franchise is right now isn't the best move for whom many consider one of our bluechip prospects

If he signs and earns a spot in camp, so be it. But I'll be worried like hell for the kid since I think he'd be rushed.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berard4VP2219 View Post
Looks like SNY picked up on the story.

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2010/0...h-the-rangers/

He says its not definite but likely that Stepan signs
We haven't seen ANYTHING definite. I'm waiting till something else breaks. SNY is no source; it's some 18 year old kid just compiling news.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stepan would really have to be off the charts good in pre season to make the team. imo
I just don't see it. Great if he does. But he'll likely begin the season in Hartford.

Now McDonaugh is the guy we'll likely see start with the big club. He's more NHL ready than Stepan is. Stepan needs to put some weight on and work on a couple of things.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
This is only in my opinion, but I have a list of reasons why...

-he's not physically mature enough; how would he absorb a hit from Pronger?

-he's not fast enough yet; as it stands now, he'd have a hard time keeping up with the pro level pace. Give him a year in the A for the sole reason to have him get used to the pace of the pro game

-throwing him into the cluster**** that this franchise is right now isn't the best move for whom many consider one of our bluechip prospects

If he signs and earns a spot in camp, so be it. But I'll be worried like hell for the kid since I think he'd be rushed.
No one aside from the coaches/staff actually know how big he is now though. We're just guessing. 180 is ok, but I bet he'll be bigger before camp comes along.

Yes he will need to acquainted with the speed in the NHL, but many players from college were able to transition pretty smoothly without the AHL stopgap.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
RichManitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Interesting, keep us updated!

How is the campus of Wisconsin taking this rumor so far?
See uscho.com forums, then look for the Wisconsin Off Season thread

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=90602

RichManitoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Levitate

I'm sorry but Eric ******* Christensen is being penciled into a top six spot on the Rangers lineup and people are seriously acting like there's no chance for a young prospect center to earn a center spot on the team that will give him enough icetime to develop?

I mean, yes I am of the opinion that Stepan probably will need some time in the AHL to transition to the pro game, but acting like this "logjam at center" is in any way an obstacle for a skilled prospect that's ready to make the team is laughable.

The Rangers center depth sucks terribly right now. It's not like Stepan would have to worry about getting icetime bethind Crosby and Malkin.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
NYRMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManitoba View Post
See uscho.com forums, then look for the Wisconsin Off Season thread

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=90602
Coincidence, because as soon as I posted that, I checked up on that forum and at the time, nothing was on it.

"Keep your ****ing hands off of Steps and let him play here one more year!"

Sheesh, tough crowd.

Personally, I'd rather him finish his last year in college, but Hartford could be a better place to improve himself as a player.

If McDonagh leaves, Wisconsin won't be looking so good.

Sorry Wisconsin fans, if this is all true! At least its not a 'Kyle Okposo, PT. 2'

EDIT: It seems like an apology was offered and a wink sign was replaced. But nothing is official at this time and could all just be rumors. I was looking forward to Stepan tearing it up this season in Wisconsin anyway.

Last edited by NYRMatt: 06-09-2010 at 02:51 PM.
NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I would be shocked if Stepan didn't need at least one year in the AHL.
I agree. I can see him getting a late season cup of coffee like Amonte, Weight and Rice did in 1991 with little to no real AHL experience before becoming a full time NHLer

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:53 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

My opinion: you can always go back to school for your education. You can never get your youth back. If Derek can get an AHL year under his belt and be an NHL'er the following year, then more power to him and his decision. A degree isn't running away from him.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jeds2StepOpus

At 6' 0" 172 lbs, this kid better be wearing a mattress if he wants to play in the NHL.

He better bulk up.

Having said that, if this kid Stephan actually has skills that will translate well at the NHL level; he won't be held back by the log-jam named Erik Christensen. Christensen won't be log-jamming anyone.

He should consider himself lucky that there are idiots like Sather in this league, who will pretend he's worth something. Without him ever really proving himself at all.

Last edited by Jeds2StepOpus: 06-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Personally, I'd rather him finish his last year in college, but Hartford could be a better place to improve himself as a player.
He has two more years of college left.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Also, I am pretty sure he won't make the Rangers for the reasons I stated above. He thinks the game at a very high level but his body just isn't ready for the NHL.
I would have to agree. On Hockey's Future it lists him as 168 lbs at over 6 feet tall. I would be worried for him at that size in the NHL.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If the team feels he's ready to make the next step, then he's ready. Whether that step is the AHL or NHL is a different story.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
XLJ

Good news I was under the impression that he was going to stay in college for another year. He should spend a full year in Hartford.
Christensen wont last the full season being the top center. Dubi if they move him back to center or Anisimov will be centering Gaborik's line.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I would have to agree. On Hockey's Future it lists him as 168 lbs at over 6 feet tall. I would be worried for him at that size in the NHL.
Its not always a players weight that determines everything. From the games that I watched he was effective when given any space whatsoever which is a good sign for the future but I didn't really see him winning many battles along the boards.

He has a great hockey IQ and he has great skills for finding the open man and knowing where the puck needs to go before he gets it. I just felt like one more year of adding 10 lbs of muscle to his frame would have done wonders for his game however the Rangers must want him to get accustomed to the longer schedule of games for a season before joining the Rangers.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Hope its true.

Wonder if the concussion played a role in the decision to turn pro if its true.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rangers sign Derek Stepan

Quote:
The Post has learned that Stepan, the Rangers' second-round (51st overall) selection in the 2008 Entry Draft, has agreed to terms on a contract that, per the collective bargaining agreement, cannot be registered with the NHL until July 1. It will be a three-year Entry Level deal expected to be close to the $875,000 base salary cap.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...2nVZQoEuc88fkK

Old
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Go gettem Slats!!!!!!!

Old
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Pizza