HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hasek Interview

Old
06-09-2010, 01:18 AM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Hasek Interview

Now as an Islander fan and a firm believer that cousins shouldn't marry, so I hate the Rangers..... , I, as a fan of the sport think Lundqvist is amazing, but I'm not alone. http://hlundqvist.blogspot.com/

Apparently when asked, Hasek points out your Henrik is the "strongest" goalie in the game of hockey. In the world.

I figured you guys would enjoy the article. Nice to not have a goalie wheeling himself around the rink like our gem.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:33 AM
hlundqvist30*

Pretty funny that Lundqvist claims that Hasek was one of his idols growing up, considering that the two couldn't possibly have more opposite playing styles. They are similar in the fact that they are incredibly tough mentally, though.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Pretty funny that Lundqvist claims that Hasek was one of his idols growing up, considering that the two couldn't possibly have more opposite playing styles. They are similar in the fact that they are incredibly tough mentally, though.
I don't really agree with that. Henrik is by no means a Hasek clone, but he was so unique that we'll probably never see anyone with that specific style again. More generally however you can probably classify both as butterfly goalies as opposed to standup goalies. Both never give up on a play even when it seems like they have no chance to make the save. Also Henrik himself has bucked some of the common trends in net. He plays deep in the crease instead of challenging the guy, and he starting position is lower than most with his legs spread farther apart than possibly any other goalie.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I don't really agree with that. Henrik is by no means a Hasek clone, but he was so unique that we'll probably never see anyone with that specific style again. More generally however you can probably classify both as butterfly goalies as opposed to standup goalies. Both never give up on a play even when it seems like they have no chance to make the save. Also Henrik himself has bucked some of the common trends in net. He plays deep in the crease instead of challenging the guy, and he starting position is lower than most with his legs spread farther apart than possibly any other goalie.
Tim Thomas is probably the closest to Hasek.

Honestly, the funny thing is, if Hasek actually tried to be a normal goalie, ie, a butterfly goalie, he probably would have even better numbers than he did...which is pretty mind boggeling all things considered.

IMHO Hasek is the greatest goalie of all time, and its not even close.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Hasek is definitely unique, but Lundqvist is basically as far away from Hasek as you can possibly get. When's the last time you've ever seen Lundqvist ever make a flopping save? He's 100% about positioning and angles. Hasek basically ignored conventional positioning.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

I agree. I've always felt that even with all the accolades he gets, he's still underrated. Those Sabres teams were nothing to write home about. Also, his performance in the Olympics when the Czechs won gold was spectacular.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Tim Thomas is probably the closest to Hasek.

Honestly, the funny thing is, if Hasek actually tried to be a normal goalie, ie, a butterfly goalie, he probably would have even better numbers than he did...which is pretty mind boggeling all things considered.

Agree 100%. Definitely the most entertaining goalie ever too.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Hasek is definitely unique, but Lundqvist is basically as far away from Hasek as you can possibly get. When's the last time you've ever seen Lundqvist ever make a flopping save? He's 100% about positioning and angles. Hasek basically ignored conventional positioning.

didn't watch all of it but it had a bunch early. Again though I'm not saying the two are really similar, I just disagree that their further apart than hasek compared to a standup goalie.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:47 PM
ThirdEye

Hasek played like he drank 10 cups of coffee before the start of each period

That's pretty cool that Hasek mentioned Hank. You can talk about Hank being overrated and whatnot (which I don't agree with), but when someone like Hasek has good things to say about you you have to be doing something right.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
oh come on!

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
oh come on!
What took you so long?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What took you so long?
do you agree with his sentiments? Its a pretty ridiculous statement, IMO, for a guy that has show he easily gets inside his own head.

Old
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
do you agree with his sentiments? Its a pretty ridiculous statement, IMO, for a guy that has show he easily gets inside his own head.

I'd love to see what Marty would look like if he had to play with this team in front of him, and knowing they won't score more than 3 goals in any given game. It's bound to get to you.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
I'd love to see what Marty would look like if he had to play with this team in front of him, and knowing they won't score more than 3 goals in any given game. It's bound to get to you.
What does Brodeur have to do with anything? Are we talking about Brodeur, or Hasek/Lundqvist?

Lets stick to the topic, less we get into childish name calling and "my goalie is better than your goalie" posts

Old
06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
What does Brodeur have to do with anything? Are we talking about Brodeur, or Hasek/Lundqvist?

Lets stick to the topic, less we get into childish name calling and "my goalie is better than your goalie" posts
Then why not expand on your views with more than just "oh come on!"? Point is, HASEK got interviewed about goalies, and HASEK HIMSELF said that he thinks Hank is the top European goalie in the league right now.

Would you like to state how Henrik is not mentally tough? Because if you're going to join the thread, contribute.

Stick to the topic, lest we have you voicing displeasure without exactly explaining why.\

EDIT: My original post wasn't an attack on Brodeur (directly), it was a display of Hank's mental toughness by showing exactly what he has to deal with by having this Rangers squad in front of him.

Last edited by BrandNewDream: 06-09-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: adding to it
Old
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
OverTheCap

I don't think Lundqvist is as mentally tough as Hasek, but he's certainly no headcase.

Price, Theodore, Luongo.. now these are goalies whose mental toughness is questionable at best.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Then why not expand on your views with more than just "oh come on!"? Point is, HASEK got interviewed about goalies, and HASEK HIMSELF said that he thinks Hank is the top European goalie in the league right now.

Would you like to state how Henrik is not mentally tough? Because if you're going to join the thread, contribute.

Stick to the topic, lest we have you voicing displeasure without exactly explaining why.\

EDIT: My original post wasn't an attack on Brodeur (directly), it was a display of Hank's mental toughness by showing exactly what he has to deal with by having this Rangers squad in front of him.
thank you on the grammar point. Even though you were trying to be condescending, i actually appreciate it. I knew it sounded wrong the second it came out.

You're right, I could have expanded on it. And then I did, eventually in my post. Thing is, I thought it was quite clear what I was getting at. Or I was expecting someone to ask me to expand on that subject, not bring up another goalie irrelevant to the topic. I thought it was common knowledge that Hank gets into his own head. Its clear the guy went through slumps where much of it was mental. Or how about when he just decides to pull himself out of games? Yea, that's normal.

Yea, you're right. Having a team play poorly in front of him would be frustrating, and mentally exhausting. I don't disagree there.

I'm not discounting Lundqvist's skills. So you don't need to bring up what Hasek says about him. I'm debating the poster's idea that Lundqvist is somehow mentally tough.

And you're lying, you brought up Brodeur as direct job as me. You only brought him up, because you know I'm a Devils fan. A more appropriate comparison would have been Hasek playing for Buffalo (i.e. only bright light on the team). And even with that, there isn't much of a comparison. Hasek had a hell of a lot more pressure to deal with on those buffalo teams, with those playoff runs.

It actually sounds like you originally agreed with me (to the effect of "well if you were the goalie on this team, wouldn't it get to you too?"). Now I don't want to put words into your mouth, but that is the vibe I received. But then, in your follow up point, you're using that as reasons as to why he is mentally tough. So which is it? Is he bound to get frustrated playing with this team, or is he mentally tough for rising above?

I think his mental toughness is improving, as evidenced by his lack of a winter slump. But don't pretend like he's always "calm and cool." The guy smashes his stick after every loss. Intense, passionate, sure. Mentally tough, I still feel its up in the air.

EDIT various minor edits

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 06-09-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old
06-09-2010, 02:51 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
thank you on the grammar point. Even though you were trying to be condescending, i actually appreciate it. I knew it sounded wrong the second it came out.

You're right, I could have expanded on it. And then I did, eventually in my post. Thing is, I thought it was quite clear what I was getting at. Or I was expecting someone to ask me to expand on that subject, not bring up another goalie irrelevant to the topic. I thought it was common knowledge that Hank gets into his own head. Its clear the guy went through slumps where much of it was mental. Or how about when he just decides to pull himself out of games? Yea, that's normal.

Yea, you're right. Having a team play poorly in front of him would be frustrating, and mentally exhausting. I don't disagree there.

I'm not discounting Lundqvist's skills. So you don't need to bring up what Hasek says about him. I'm debating the poster's idea that Lundqvist is somehow mentally tough.

And you're lying, you brought up Brodeur as direct job as me. You only brought him up, because you know I'm a Devils fan. A more appropriate comparison would have been Hasek playing for Buffalo (i.e. only bright light on the team). And even with that, there isn't much of a comparison. Hasek had a hell of a lot more pressure to deal with on those buffalo teams, with those playoff runs.

It actually sounds like you originally agreed with me (to the effect of "well if you were the goalie on this team, wouldn't it get to you too?"). Now I don't want to put words into your mouth, but that is the vibe I received. But then, in your follow up point, you're using that as reasons as to why he is mentally tough. So which is it? Is he bound to get frustrated playing with this team, or is he mentally tough for rising above?

I think his mental toughness is improving, as evidenced by his lack of a winter slump. But don't pretend like he's always "calm and cool." The guy smashes his stick after every loss. Intense, passionate, sure. Mentally tough, I still feel its up in the air.
Nice. Much more in line with what I was looking for (not that you have to live up to my standards, just saying).

I think my original points aren't contradictory at all. It does speak to Henrik's mental toughness that he doesn't allow the team, whatever its play on the given night, to get the best of him. No goalie is perfect, and every one of them is bound to allow emotions to get the best of him (Hank taking himself out).

I brought Brodeur in I suppose for two reasons. First, because I did indeed want to appeal to your fandom. (I certainly can be condescending, but that is not my regular disposition around here) Second, simply to try and have your consider that exact point. Henrik plays under an immense amount of pressure, night in night out. 75+ games, numerous defensive gaffes, lack of offense, etc. Mental weakness does not comport with having that type of play asked of you. Brodeur, for his greatness, does NOT have those expectations of having to bail his team out in EVERY game and be the story.

Him getting frustrated and letting those things get to him do not question his mental toughness, IMO. I may sound like a fan boy, and I don't mean to come off as suggesting that Henrik be awarded the Vezina, Hart, Art Ross and Norris () for it. He's passionate on the ice, competitive as all hell, and a great goalie. But, both on and off the ice, he reigns it in. In his interviews, he can easily show his frustration, but the vast majority of the time he is calm and collected.

He deserves recognition in that regard, IMO.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

75+ games, numerous defensive gaffes, lack of offense, etc. Mental weakness does not comport with having that type of play asked of you. Brodeur, for his greatness, does NOT have those expectations of having to bail his team out in EVERY game and be the story.
I really didn't want to get into Brodeur, because he's not relevant. But if you're going to bring him up, I'll have to strongly disagree with you here.

While true, it's not a "New York" team/media situation, Brodeur had to deal with everything above at some point. 2007-2008 our defense was absolutely garbage. He most certainly had prolonged times when he had to bail his team out (how many 1-goal games do you think New Jersey won while he played?).

And with the exception of a few lapses (the obvious Avery incidents, against Carolina last playoffs), Brodeur has consistently remained cool and calm. Dare I say, at times he was the model of mental toughness for a goalie (but I will attribute that to my being a Devil fan). Quite often, by opponents and teamates, you hear about how "he doesn't let anything bother him." I don't hear that about Lundqvist

Old
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Yep. I've said this for a long time too.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
And with the exception of a few lapses (the obvious Avery incidents, against Carolina last playoffs), Brodeur has consistently remained cool and calm. Dare I say, at times he was the model of mental toughness for a goalie (but I will attribute that to my being a Devil fan). Quite often, by opponents and teamates, you hear about how "he doesn't let anything bother him." I don't hear that about Lundqvist
Marty has a terrible record lately in our building against Lundqvist, so I'd say playing here can bother him. And of course there are the incidents you mention and his subsequent hissy fits after each, so obviously one cannot say nothing ever bothers him. He effing FLIPPED OUT after his choke against Carolina.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Marty has a terrible record lately in our building against Lundqvist, so I'd say playing here "bothers" him. And of course there are the incidents you mention and his subsequent hissy fits after each.
i took the bait here, once Brodeur was brought up. But are we going to neglect everything he did in his first 15 years? Or neglect that 51-save, 1-0 shootout shutout he had this past year? Terrible lately? he went 2 and 1 at the garden this past season. He had a **** year, in 2007-2008, against the Rangers. We're going to keep going back to that season? Guy rebounded and got over any "demons" he had at the garden, I feel.

I'll attribute that to Lundqvist playing lights out against an aging goalie. " Hissy fits"? Can you elaborate? You mean how he thinks he could have made saves, and doesn't want to give credit to the shooter? What does that have to do with mental toughness.

I don't want to bring it up, because its an annoying thing when other team's fanbases do it me... but the guy has 3 cups. He's got to have some mental stability. His skills might not be what they once were, but this guy was tough to beat mentally and physically for years. Avery wasn't the only good to try and mess with him, in his career.

Quote:
He effing FLIPPED OUT after his choke against Carolina.
Game 6, when he thought he was screened? Flipped out? No, he was trying to sell a call and committed to it. Kind of like not being able to back out of a lie.

"Choke against Carolina" Again, you only saw the highlights. He kept that team in the game 7 for a long, long time. The team was in their own zone the entire 3rd period. Choke nothing. Did he save his team and steal a win? No. But this is a cliche statement, which frankly is wrong. He played great in that series. He had one absolutely bad playoff series, against your blue shirts.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 06-09-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old
06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
i took the bait here, once Brodeur was brought up. But are we going to neglect everything he did in his first 15 years? Or neglect that 51-save, 1-0 shootout shutout he had this past year?

I'll attribute that to Lundqvist playing lights out against an aging goalie. " Hissy fits"? Can you elaborate? You mean how he thinks he could have made saves, and doesn't want to give credit to the shooter? What does that have to do with mental toughness.

I don't want to bring it up, because its an annoying thing when other team's fanbases do it me... but the guy has 3 cups. He's got to have some mental stability. His skills might not be what they once were, but this guy was tough to beat mentally and physically for years. Avery wasn't the only good to try and mess with him, in his career.
C'mon...he went freakin' ape* after the Carolina thing. smashed his stick on the boards, raced to the refs and screamed, etc.

I'm not going to say the guy isn't generally calm, but he has his moments. I'm simply saying it's not fair to act like he doesn't let ANYTHING bother him. And sometimes in our building, when the MAAAAAARRRTTYYYYYY chants get going after he lets in a goal, he does seem to let it under his skin, evidenced by quick goals following the first one.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'm not going to say the guy isn't generally calm, but he has his moments. I'm simply saying it's not fair to act like he doesn't let ANYTHING bother him. And sometimes in our building, when the MAAAAAARRRTTYYYYYY chants get going after he lets in a goal, he does seem to let it under his skin, evidenced by quick goals following the first one.
You added the carolina thing... after. So i quoted it, after my original post. See my edit. And listen, I brought it up first. Why are you acting like i'm ignoring it?

you're delusional about the marty chants. the whole fanbase is.. the "quick goals' happens against other teams. Its a team problem, not a "ZOMG WE'RE IN HIS HEAD" problem. I know you would love to think that you can get into the head of a hall of fame goaltender, get over yourself. Guy is a professional. You think "Henrik chants" get to lundqvist? Of course not. But fans from both all teams do that anyway, because they're stupid.

And honestly, this thread wasn't about Brodeur. But I hope you're both happy. Soon enough, the fanbase will jump on me and i'll be outnumbered.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Game 6, when he thought he was screened? Flipped out? No, he was trying to sell a call and committed to it. Kind of like not being able to back out of a lie.

"Choke against Carolina" Again, you only saw the highlights. He kept that team in the game 7 for a long, long time. The team was in their own zone the entire 3rd period. Choke nothing. Did he save his team and steal a win? No. But this is a cliche statement, which frankly is wrong. He played great in that series. He had one absolutely bad playoff series, against your blue shirts.

You know I have access to Devils games in NYC, right? I didn't see only highlights. That series was freakin' awesome to watch, so I saw every second I could.

How can you possibly say he didn't flip out? All we know is what we SAW, which was an epic flip out. You can *guess* he was faking it, but you've got nothing to base that on.

I don't deny that his defense left him out to dry in those final shifts, though.